IMDb > "Community" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Community"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Community" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Community Deserves A Gold Star on It's Report Card!

Author: kimintuitive
7 April 2010

The past several years, there has been less and less to watch on TV because it's saturated with awful reality shows and the sitcom-type shows that are on, are basically following the same faux-documentary type model that I just don't find funny. I find myself watching more Canadian shows now, and less and less American shows.

But in comes Community as a nice little gold star for American TV! I have to say it has really grown on me, and now I'm hooked. I love that each episode tries out the different dynamics between each of the characters.

I didn't know of Joel McHale before. Yes, he sure is a tall hunk of good-looking stuff (hello! the naked pool episode!), but I think he's doing a good job and his character is likable (his slightly sleazy and insensitive character is fun to watch). Chevy Chase and Ken Jeong really do push the boundaries of political correctness - but that "not sure whether to scorn or laugh" feeling is balanced out with some nice moments for their characters.

Love the Annie and Shirley characters in the debate and bad cop episodes, and the switch-spanking episode with the Troy and Britta characters was hilarious! My absolute favourite character has to be Abed. The Don Draper and vampire impersonations, and pretty much everything he says I find laugh-out-loud funny. I love the ending bits with Troy and Abed - more please!

Overall, Community borders on the absurd in it's humour but does so in such a clever way, that I can't help but laugh and feel good watching.

Superb show that is offbeat

Author: parunach from United States
6 September 2011

This is an unusual show with great imagination. The cast is superb with many actors giving a special touch to it, from Chevy Chase to Ken Jeong. The show has a balance between traditional humor and the unexpected. I found this show from an interview with Gillian Jacobs in Craig Ferguson and fell in love with it. While some parts can be slow, the creativity is what keeps it going. I rewind and watch parts multiple times to make sure that I did not miss any pieces. My wife and I watched all episodes in both seasons in one weekend. I am surprised that it is rated 81st show in the last year. I hope that it does not get canceled. Assuming that it keeps the current standard, it can easily go for a few more seasons.

Superfantastique

Author: Owen Coombs from Highams Park, London
1 September 2011

What I love about community is the versatility of the mish-mash of characters and the way their chemistry just works. You have a bit of everything. In Jeff Winger you have the smug, speech making likable anti-hero. Troy Barnes, the silly, immature, lovable ragamuffin. Shirley Bennett, the lovable innocent bubbly one. Annie Edison, the gorgeous and bubbly, point making, try hard, witty young lady with an unexpected history. Abed Nabir, who's 'dissability' of Aspergers Syndrome is made light of by making him obsessed with pop culture, meaning endless film and television references which drives the cinematic element of the show. Britta Perry, who's witty, self obsessed persona bounces of other characters with hilarious consequences and finally Pierce Hawthorne, played by the fabulous Chevy Chase, who's hilarious, inaproprism lands gives him one of the greatest one liner characters in recent years. Not to mention the supporting cast, who are excellent, played by Ken Jeong, Jim Rash, Dino Stamatopoulos and John Oliver to name a few.

Another thing which is great about the show, is it's self awareness, in the sense it recognizes itself as a television show, justified by the presence of Abed's character. "I thought we were like Chandler and Phoebe who's stories never go together" and "this is a bottle episode" are a few examples.

After more or less every episode, comes a great character sketch between Troy and Abed, who's friendship and bromance are a thing to cherish.

So watch this show, it's bloody great.

I wish I knew them!

Author: Mela O from Canada
25 July 2011

What an excellent show! It is witty, funny and keeps you wanting more. I love the cast of this show, everyone fits their characters well. I feel like the study group that was formed offers a bit of crazy in all kinds of forms. I like how we meet the characters from the beginning and get to be a part of their lives as the show develops. I found season 2 to be even better than season 1. I have a few favourite episodes but overall I can watch any episodes more than once. There are few shows I would re-watch and this has been added to my list. I feel like the humour in this show is very creative, as the situations are not the typical comical situations that you would expect. Everyone in this show contributes to the comedy, from the Dean to the lunch lady, again a great cast! I can't wait for season 3!!!!

Its A Sin Not To Like This Show!

Author: da_ledgeaun from Jakarta
4 February 2011

This is my first review for a TV Show, I love TV Series, especially the funny ones, You're gonna have to search hard to find a good comedy TV show nowadays, I mean,they are really hard to find, and when you think you have found one, they would get canceled or even worst getting boring and finally becoming expected and not funny anymore, well this show so far has not done that, I mean it always has fresh ideas which well is always funny, the latest episode is an example about the creativity of Dan Harmon and his crew.

The actors have gotten even better and with the introduction of Ken Jeong into the study group,it could only get funnier.

For all of you who are searching for a good laugh from TV, then look no further, as this Community will get you laughing out loud and craving for more.

oh and Alison Brie is HOTNESS!!!

The Best Show Nobody Watches

Author: jbboyle3 from Orlando, Florida
30 June 2012

Ever find yourself flipping through your channel listings over and over and over again, throwing your remote at your dog, and complaining about the lack of quality television programs to your Twitter followers? Well, odds are you just haven't given the shows that are actually worth watching a chance. I made the mistake of avoiding the hidden gem that is Community for nearly two years. The often unappreciated NBC comedy follows the antics of a study group consisting of seven Greendale Community College students from all different walks of life: the egotistical and recently disbarred lawyer Jeff Winger (Joel McHale), the outspoken liberal Britta Perry (Gillian Jacobs), the dynamic/inseparable nerd duo of socially awkward Abed Nadir (Danny Pudi) and former high school jock Troy Barnes (Donald Glover), the pill-head turned sweetheart Annie "Adderall" Edison (Alison Brie), the morally driven Shirley Bennett (Yvette Nicole Brown), and the oldest, most inappropriate member of the group desperately trying to stay hip Pierce Hawthorne (Chevy Chase). The cast teamed with the incredibly talented writing staff will have you chortling by yourself at the witty jokes and fresh comical situations. Community's ability to develop such intricate relationships between the characters in such a short amount of time is what separates the award winner from the competition. In between the laughs, the show has a lot of heart, allowing viewers to build an emotional bond with the odd group of characters who, despite all of their differences, share a sort of symbiotic relationship. The show is simply in a league of its own. Community has the perfect mixture of comedy, emotion, and storyline, not to mention an incredible amount of action packed into a few paintball episodes. Like Fox's Arrested Development, Community, likely entering its last season, will go down as one of the most under-appreciated shows of all time.

Added to my favourites!

Author: tomvkoppen from Netherlands
19 August 2011

I was a bit skeptical at first because it looked like another paint brushed show. Guess I was wrong. This show is so good that after only 2 episodes I was hooked. I watched them all twice now, and keep being surprised by jokes and clever remarks I didn't notice the first time watching. There is just SO much happening thanks to the fast-dialogued characters Jeff, Pierce, Troy, Abed and Britta. All the characters add something. Usually I have a favourite character but these actors are so good in their resp. roles. Maybe Annie is not always that convincing but she's incredibly hot so I'll forgive her for that. The show is so well built up that sometimes one episode seems like a completely different show. eg: They do a whole episode in stop-motion of incredible quality that at one point I thought I was watching an animation movie (*spoiler*: train scene with Abed for people who watched it /*spoiler*).

In short: This show is so well thought about and the characters are too epic to miss out on! Chevy Chase is here folks! And he is playing a conservative old fart in the most hilarious way imaginable.

If in doubt, give this show a chance. I'm glad I did! This show is cool cool cool and if you don't watch it you're streets behind!

Ambitious, Energetic, and completely Hilarious!

Author: Red_Identity from United States
30 June 2011

Community is that great comedy that you cannot wait to see. It's not only that it is funny (and when it is funny, it is hilarious!) it's just that it's simply a joy to watch.

The ensemble cast is great. In fact, there is probably not a better comedic ensemble cast out there right now. No one outshines anybody because they are all great, and all of the characters are likable. I never knew Joel McHale had it in himself to play this type of character this well. I thought he was more of a sketch comedian, based on his show The Soup. Jillian Jacobs is great as the most well-rounded character here, and she becomes more lovable as the show goes on. Chevy Chase is just freakin funny, no question about it. Alison Brie is the 'cute' one, and will have your heart.

What I really love about this show and what makes it stand apart from other great comedies in the air right now like 30 Rock, Modern Family, and The Middle is it's energy. It gives off a cinematic tone and feel, of the best type of comedies out there. It has energy that never stops, and the meta-humor and pop culture references elevate it.

Ultimately, this is as smart and ambitious as 30 Rock and as funny as Modern Family. However, it does stand higher than those shows because of that combination. You won't be disappointed.

Fantastic series with a fresh style.

Author: WoodlanFriar from Australia
11 January 2011

My first brush with this series was the episode "Investigative Journalism", with Jack Black guest starring. It was mid-season, I didn't know the characters and my attention was divided. Still, I loved it and told my friends at school. I continually forgot to catch another episode and after a few months, I finally remembered. The episode I saw then was "Investigative Journalism", with Jack Black ... again - and I loved it ... again! I bought the Season 1 DVD and what started as a compulsion became an obsession. I watched every episode, some twice, over the next 2 days.

What can be said of this series is that it has breathed a great deal of life into the Sitcom recipe. The characters are varied and relatable, each offering a plot dynamic and style of humour; Abed's breaking of the forth wall and pop-culture references, Pierce's outdated views and tastes, Jeff's protagonistic role and antagonistic attitude, etc.

The episodes are often satirical and over the top while some how juggling character development and coherency. Beneath the humour, references and episodic plot are many running themes and issues ranging from love, lust, friendship and loss. Troy and Annie's relationship has slowly been shifting, switching and mutating in a very human way while Pierce and Shirley's relationship has progressed from awkward strangers to uncomfortable friends.

All in all, this series offers something unique - a quirky, hilarious flavour with a touching aftertaste. Worthwhile viewing for sitcom-lovers, film buffs, families and anyone looking for a good laugh.

Cheerful with none of the Cheese

Author: Tom Gordon from Canada
30 January 2011

Considering our day and age, it isn't surprising that most decent comedy on TV these days is dark, ironic, and satirical. Shows like Weeds, Californication, Shameless etc. are definitely not for the faint hearted despite their brilliance.

But I'm pleased to announce that Community manages to avoid a jaded worldview and succeeds at being genuinely funny. The dialogue is sharp and quick, the acting is top-notch, and everything is very colorful. The humor has wonderful range from childlike physical comedy to lightning fast witticism. You definitely get the feeling that everyone involved with this project is having a great time.

Other modern comedies that have attempted to be this cheerful have never quite been able to hit the spot between too much sugary sweetness (Glee) and a crippling emotional weight (Scrubs). Yet Community achieves a perfect balancing act of presenting unique characters who develop in believable ways, without killing the mood with teary scenes or a rampant lack of realism. Even at its most serious (which is rare) you can always expect a great pick-me-up joke just seconds away and this is extremely refreshing.

I highly recommend this show to everyone. Its a fantastic comedy that will not let you stop smiling!