IMDb > "Community" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Witty and Great!

Author: dannyusf from United States
22 December 2009

The fall of 2009 was a great year for comedies. Two reached out to me with both having Blast from the Past actors (Chevy Chase and Ed O'Neil) which are Community and Modern Family. Viewers have found two new shows to laugh at once again with fresh new witty humor and great acting.

Community has hilarious ideas with having a Asian Spanish Teacher which is well played by Ken Jeong. Abed the movie loving/quoting difficult social skills middle eastern and finally one of the moments I have been waiting for of Donald Glover (or anyone from DerrickComedy) finally having a spot on TV. This show is great and have not seen one disappointing episode. The extra clips in the end are great way to end each episode to.

The Best Comedy On Television

Author: wct443 from United States
16 January 2011

This show is vastly underrated. It gets overlooked next to popular titles like The Office and 30 Rock. Not that these shows aren't great, I love them, but Community is far superior. Not only is it hilarious, it's incredibly creative and unique. You never know what to expect. In one episode, the plot will simply be that the main character, Jeff Winger, gets back in touch with his old lawyers buddies. A few episodes later, contaminated meat turns everyone at a party into mindless zombies with an appetite for flesh. And then skip a few more episodes and you get a story told entirely in claymation!

Joel McHale is the perfect lead for this show. He's cool, calm and a great leader for the study group. But the whole ensemble is where Community's strengths lie. Chevy Chase is great, as always, as the strange and hilarious Piers Hawthorne. Gillian Jacobs, as Britta, is fantastic as Jeff's on-again, off-again love interest. With this relationship, the show does an amazing job of spoofing classic sitcom "Sam and Diane" relationships. Danny Pudi, as the movie and TV fanatic Abed, is perhaps my favorite character. His character seems self-aware, and he frequently makes references to their lives being similar to a sitcom. Donald Glover and Yvette Nicole Brown also star as the dumb-jock with a heart of gold Troy and religious divorced mom Shirley. Rounding up the stellar ensemble is Allison Brie. Playing the innocent and simple character of Annie, she could easily be overlooked. But of course she fits the part perfectly and steals the show in many episodes with her emotional outbursts.

All in all, Community is a great show that is worth checking out. And if you want an episode to start with, the action-movie spoof "Modern Warfare" may be the best thing I have ever seen on television.

I love this god awful show.

Author: ytsejam6891 from United States
1 December 2009

This show has me at a loss. It seams to be doing all the things I hate about modern TV like trying way too hard to look like it's not trying to be cool, like being a collection of stereotypes of people who only exist on bad TV shows, like trying to appear to not be adhering to a formula by having a character break the fourth wall and acknowledge that they are adhering to a formula. The list of things that Community dose that really bug me in other shows is extensive. But for some reason, it doesn't bother me when Community does them, in fact, I love it. It could just be that Community has actually found a way to do these things right, or maybe that it's just tong in cheek enough to get away with it. What ever the reason, the result is clear; I love this god awful show. This is the only program since MST3K went off the air that makes me laugh out loud. I doubt that it will be around very long, but I'll watch it for as long as it is.

"Community" is an Incredible series. Simultaneously outlandish and realistic, it's fun, touching and hilarious. One of the best TV Comedies of the past 10 years...

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
13 January 2011

Premiering in 2009, "Community", created by Dan Harmon, stars a fantastic cast of actors, portraying characters from very different stations in life, as they all come together in the hopes of receiving a higher education (well... "medium" education is more accurate) at community college. Though each character is very different, and many don't seem like the types to hang around with one another, the seven leads eventually come together, first starting as a study group, before blossoming into a sort-of family.

Joel McHale (E!'s "The Soup") stars as Jeff Winger, a lawyer who has returned to college on a deal to keep himself from getting disbarred- if he can earn a more legitimate degree (his previous degree was not from Columbia University, but rather, an illegitimate degree from Columbia the country), he can return to his former law firm. He's cocky, smarmy, and exploitive at times. He starts the series as a self-centered jerk, for lack of a better description, but over time, has calmed down and opened up a little more.

Gillian Jacobs portrays Britta Perry, a gorgeous woman whom Jeff has on-again, off-again feelings for. Britta is a strong-minded and strong-willed woman, with concrete beliefs, thought she often hides the fact that she can be sensitive and vulnerable. She's the voice of reason, arguably, but she's also a darned great character, and doesn't fall back on clichés at all.

Danny Pudi (in an outstanding performance) plays Abed Nadir, a pop-culture aficionado, who also seems to have some social and minor mental difficulties (Jeff says he has Asperger's Syndrome at one point, and as someone who has the condition, I'd say he was probably spot on), but is also fairly intelligent and can "read people" very good, even to the point where he can predict people's behavior slightly. He wants to be a filmmaker, and spends a lot of his time referencing movies and TV shows, and directing student films.

Yvette Nicole Brown plays Shirley Bennet, an older woman who has returned to community college to start her life anew after her husband left her. She's a very kind woman, and a devoted Christian (which occasionally causes problems with the group's diversity), though she has gossiping problems as well.

Alison Brie plays Annie Edison, a sexy but insecure young girl who just graduated High School. She was very unpopular in the past, and sees community college as a second chance at making friends (and getting close to Troy, her crush). She was formerly addicted to Adderall, but has turned her life around following rehab. She's the bookworm of the group, and tries a lot harder than everyone else, but hides many insecurities common for people her age.

Donald Glover plays Troy Barnes, a former football star who had to stop playing following an injury. He's a bit rambunctious, and has a simple sense of humor. He becomes best friends with Abed, and they spend much time together. Short clips featuring the two of them close every show.

And finally, Chevy Chase plays Pierce Hawthorne, a moist-towelette heir... member of a Buddhist Cult based around obscure concepts and "levels" (Guess which trendy Hollywood "religion" that's parodying!)... Very racist, but never with poor intentions... Seeing himself as more talented and valuable than he is much of the time... And physically awkward, setting up for a lot of slapstick gags. This character is perfect for Chevy. Need I say more?

Every actor on the show is exquisite (with Pudi's performance being my personal favorite- no disrespect to the others), and each actor really transforms into the character. They all gel perfectly. They all work perfectly. This is one of the best comedy casts I've seen in a long time. The show also features actors such as Jim Rash, John Oliver and of course Ken Jeong in recurring roles as staff members, and each one gives a great performance as well.

The show is quite smart, and well written. Characters are fleshed out and developed in a naturalistic way, and the situations often build off of that. Also, it's interesting in that the college (the infamously bizarre Greendale Acadamy) itself seems to become a character in the show.

"Community" has just the right combination of realism and obscure outlandishness. As insane as the show can get (and it gets pretty insane), it never "jumps the shark." Everything still seems grounded and real in it's own cartoonish way.

It honestly doesn't surprise me that the Russo brothers produce this show. When I first started watching it, I got a small hint of "Arrested Development" (the best TV comedy since "I Love Lucy", as far as I'm concerned), many episodes of which were directed by them, and when I found out about their involvement here, it made sense.

Similar to "Arrested", this is a fantastic show. It's smart and put together, and is a prime example of modern TV comedy done right. It's one of the best TV comedies of the past 10 years, and my favorite show on TV now. A perfect 10 out of 10 from me.

If the pilot is any indication, this show is HILARIOUS!

Author: OtherBrotherDarryl from United States
17 September 2009

Abed (Danny Pudi) steals the show. He has Asperger's syndrome. It's a very serious disorder. It'll have you in stitches.

Chevy Chase is back from obscurity, which is awesome, because, let's face it, he's Chevy, and we're not. You can hate the man for his massive ego if you want, but you can't deny that when he's on screen, he's still a comedy legend.

Joel McHale is a fish out of soup. Soup? Yes, soup, because it's better than salt.

John Oliver plays John Oliver sans Jon Stewart (a.k.a. "The Dean"). He and Joel's character (a disbarred lawyer seeking redemption) go way back. Just not far enough, apparently.

It's about a group of semi-middle-aged community college students who form a "Breakfast Club" style study group, but that's not important. What's important is that you'll be cracking up, and most of the time, it'll be because Abed did or said something in all his Asperger's awesomeness.

RIP John Hughes (1950 – 2009)

RIP Patrick Swayze (1952 – 2009)

RIP "RIP Chevy Chase" jokes (1990 - 2009)

Those who watch it fall in love, always.

Author: reneweddan from United States
21 June 2011

Community is brilliantly scripted: the dialogue is ingenious, the acting is superb, and the creativity is off the charts.

Don't watch this show with high expectations because those expectations will be met, but the show excels if you have an open-mind and as you relax.

The humor is abundant and you will fall in love with at least one of the characters, if not all. I would attempt to list the diverse features of each character, but they really can't be explained. Each character truly cannot be labeled, they are each so unique and realistic that you'd have to watch this show in order to understand.

If you aren't a fan of this show yet, give it a chance and you will be, otherwise you're missing out of cinematic entertainment at its finest. I would classify this show as one of my favorite comedies, ranking alongside Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Community is definitely the cleanest of the three so it's a great watch for a good time without being overly offensive.

You can read all of the positive feedback about this show, but the best way to fully understand this show is to immerse yourself in it by watching it.

I hate having to put 10 stars but...

Author: katchei-675-448818 (katchei@gmail.com) from Chicago, US
3 June 2011

Holy crap...

Every single character on this show is so unbelievably awesome. Every single character is likable to some degree.

Let me first say that I see everything. I work at home and I need one of my monitors to have some television show to keep me occupied. I was in such a dry spell lately having nothing to watch when a friend recommended this show. After the first episode, I thought it's not bad. After the second episode and that Spanish gibberish rap, I knew that I had found a winner.

Even the teachers like Senor Chang make me smile whenever they enter a scene.

What is most interesting is that this show is new. It is not based on any formula. The relationships are completely original and they are smart not to get mired down in romantic relationships unless for the sake of a joke.

I'm currently ending the first season and I heard that the second season is even better.

EXCELLENT SHOW

Keeps Getting Better

Author: pig_pal from Canada
2 March 2010

At first, this show was enjoyable but never really made me laugh out loud. I appreciated the humour and the almost clichéd but we know its clichéd jokes but I still felt the show hadn't quite found it's footing. However each episode gets funnier than the last, and the past few episode have been hilarious! I really suggest watching it and watching past the first few episodes to see how funny it is. I hope it continues to progress and gets more a chance to improve on its already solid foundation.

Also the last minute or so of each episode with Troy and Abed are just too funny! Their relationship is definitely my favourite.

It can only get better.

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

The story centers around a Spanish study group at a community comedy, the group is made up a variety of people who go to community college: recent high school graduates, elderly looking seeking company, single mother, a former peace core activist, and lastly Jeff Winger… a lawyer with an unofficial degree. Lot of heart warming lessons with humor goes throughout the series.

Review after finishing Season 1: Funny and loving, I watch it for the humor and for the love in the the character's relationships. It may not be everyone's type of humor, but it is general enough to be brilliant and not to obscure. Not only that the humor is unique but not weird. It reminds me of Scrubs with a new type of humor.

I say it's a much watch comedy.

Season 2: IT just gets better and better!

Great show!

Author: air-bear77 from Canada
13 March 2011

Such a wonderful refreshing show. I recommend it two thumbs up. Hilarious! :D I so needed that!

At first I thought it would be a cheese show but it was such a pleasant surprise. Some of the lines... are absolutely hilarious. Everyone should see it. I am an instructor at a community college and recommended the show to everyone. It's really well written and is super funny! The characters are hilarious but have substance to them. The plot of each episode has sense to it and the twists make you want to watch another one and another one :) I just got Netflix and watching all episodes is such a treat. Thank you!

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]