IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 23: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Much Better Than Expected

Author: texanvkg from United States
24 March 2012

The original has always been a favorite, and after getting burned on multiple re-imaginings over the last few years, I went into this film with some trepidation, not expecting much, and hoping that it was at least respectful to the source material.

What a pleasant surprise! Excellent performances by Yeltin and Farrel and the wonderful, zany Tennant anchor and well-made vampire flick that captures the heart and humor of the original. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, have no complaints, and was very happy to see Chris Sarandon appear in a cameo as the victim out on the highway.

For those that love the original, this film does the first on justice and I recommend you set aside your fears and enjoy this film. For those that have not seen the original - watch this and have fun!

Not The Best Film In The World

Author: rebecca-ry from North Lanarkshire, Scotland
20 February 2012

I haven't seen the original 'Fright Night' so I cannot compare it to anything. What I can say is that it's adequate, that's all.

The acting is pretty good to be fair, Colin Farrell's villain role is played very well. Anton Yelchin and Imogen Poots' roles were also good. Christopher Mintz-Plasse was good but I was annoyed that he was playing - yet again - McLovin from 'Superbad', he just can't seem to escape that role and it would be nice to see what else he is capable of. However, I feel David Tennant stole the show with his performance and it would have been better if he had been in the film more often as he provided 90% of the comedy here.

The comedic aspect of this film is what makes it good, I'm not saying it needed more laughs but there are moments where you are neither frightened or laughing. These dull bits are what weakens the film as a whole. It can be genuinely frightening in parts, making you jump quite a lot with great effects most of the time but in others it can be quite cartoon-like.

Overall, I would not recommend this film as a film you HAVE to watch but I would also not advise anyone to specifically avoid it. It's average and it's ashame it is that because the performances and the storyline work, there was just something missing.

One of my favourite films of 2011...SURPRISE!!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
11 January 2012

I love going into a film with little to no expectations and coming out hooting and hollering because you just saw a movie that was amazing, fun, entertaining, brilliant...Fright Night for me was exactly that. I actually saw it three times in theatre and I rarely ever see anything more than once in theatre...I loved it every single time. First of all if you have the opportunity to see this in 3D...this might be the only film I have ever seen where the 3D actually impressed me. It was fun and in your face and really brilliantly shot. I am not giving this a perfect score lightly...you would know from my other reviews I don't hand this out easily...Fright Night for me was simply perfectly entertaining. That doesn't make it a perfect film but I loved every single second of this and it will be a permanent favourite of mine. The story is fun, the one liners are hilarious, the characters are wild and crazy, and from beginning to end I loved it.

Years ago I called Anton Yelchin one to watch and now his career is becoming something to really take notice of. He headlines this film with ease and humour and kick butt action and he is fantastic! I love this kid! He is a pro and he has some great roles ahead of him. I know a lot of people don't like Colin Farrell, mostly because of his personal life, but I think he can be a very versatile actor and while he doesn't blow away this film, he does a great job in his role. He's dark and twisted and a little campy and perfect. Him and Yelchin have great chemistry. Toni Collette adds a certain level of class to the cast in a role that isn't her usual indie subject matter. But she does a good job as the 'cool' mom to Yelchin's character. Imogen Poots is sort of the typical hot young teenie girlfriend to the main character but what I liked about her is that she actually had some substance and held her own on the cast. And finally but certainly not least Dr. Who fans will squeal for David Tennant in his role as the consummate Vampire expert Peter Vincent. I liked him a lot in the role but I couldn't help but thinking it would have just been a little entertaining if they had gotten someone bigger for the role...a surprise fun cameo...but I know Tennant definitely has his fans and he does a good job. Also worth checking out is Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin') who is hilarious (although almost overused) as Ed/Evil Ed.

Amazing special effects and terrific scenes make this a must see. Director Craig Gillespie comes from Television but I think he must be a horror fan or even an expert at thriller because the everything about Fright Night just works. The pace, the setting, the characters, just made one of the entertaining and fun films of the year. That's the important thing...FUN. I know people will read this and scoff and say how much they hated Fright Night but those are the same people that expected more than what you should from a movie like this. This movie is one of the best popcorn flicks I have seen in months. Please see this and have a great time!! 10/10

Super Cool Vampire flick

Author: ajwin05 from United States
7 January 2012

I am a big fan of horror movies and vampire movies in general. I have seen the original Fright Night but have forgotten some of it. I always liked vampires but years ago it was mostly Dracula, Blade, and Angel. I thought Fright Night was a great movie. It was funny, sexy, and scary. I thought it had some great horror music. It had some of the best music I've ever heard in a movie. The cast was great. I really liked the performances by Colin Farrel, Anton Yelchin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Toni Collette,and David Tennant. Colin Farrel was funny but also scary. I liked the scene where he turned Ed into a vampire. I liked when the hero's girlfriend threw holy water in his face. I liked the scene also where he killed some bullies and he had long claws. He was cool and handsome in his human form but super scary when we saw his monster face. Jerry the vampire is one of the best vampires. Right up there with Dracula, Blade, Edward Cullen, Lestat, Angel, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, Bill Compton, and Eric Northman. Colin Farrel gave a great performance. This is one of his best films alongside Daredevil, Horrible Bosses, Crazy Heart, and Hart's War. I'm glad he stopped drinking and doing drugs. I liked Anton Yelchin as the hero Charlie. I thought he was a jerk at first but he was nicer later in the film. I did not like how he treated his best friend Ed. They were the best of friends and then Charlie rejects him just because he's dating the hottest girl in school. I liked the mom played by Collette and it was bad when Jerry tried to kill her but I liked it when he burned their house down. He said he didn't need an invitation in if there was no house. I liked when he was stabbed with the realtor's sign and I liked the battle at the end with him Charlie and Peter Vincent. I only had one problem with the film. I thought David Tennant was funny bu his character Peter Vincent was better in the old one. He was an old man brilliantly played by Roddy Mcdowall. In this one he was an idiotic horn-dog who acted like Criss Angel. He was better in the end when he helped Charlie battle Jerry. I also liked Christopher Mintz Plasse. He was funny and it was cool when he became a vampire. I thought Fright Night was one of the best horror flicks in 2011. Everyone should see it.

Jerry the Vampire

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
10 December 2011

¨Hey, guy. You've been watching me. I've been watching you.¨

Fright Night is a remake of the 1985 cult classic film of the same name which was written and directed by Tom Holland (known for several 80's and 90's horror flicks including Child's Play and the TV series Tales from the Crypt). Some people don't like the fact that these classic movies are being remade, but if done well it can work because a new generation that would've probably never seen the original can now be familiar with it. Director Craig Gillespie does a great job at adapting the story and bringing it to the big screen once again. He makes a few touches here and there, but the main idea is still there and there is even a cameo from Chris Sarandon (the actor that played the vampire in the first movie). Some of the most memorable lines from the original movie are also included here. Gillespie takes an entirely different approach than he did with his first film, Lars and the Real Girl, but he makes a decent horror/comedy film which stays true to the original so I think fans of that movie won't be disappointed with this. Fright Night is much better than most horror films we've seen lately, although there isn't as much scares as there are funny moments. The film is lifted by some strong performances from Colin Farrell, Toni Collette, David Tennant, Anton Yelchin, and Imogen Poots. The other positive thing about Fright Night is that Buffy the Vampire Slayer writer, Marti Noxon, was involved in the adaptation of the screenplay which is pretty slick and funny.

Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) is probably having the best year of his life. He seems to have been accepted with the cool group of his High School and is dating one of the hottest girls in school, Amy (Imogen Poots). Charley is having a great time with his new friends and tries to ignore his old geek buddy Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) as much as he can, but Ed is worried about some mysterious disappearances in the Las Vegas neighborhood and tells Charley that his new neighbor, Jerry (Colin Farrell) is a vampire. Ed has been spying on Jerry and has discovered his secret, but Charley doesn't believe him at first until he sees things on his own. Charley warns his mother, Jane (Toni Collette), not to trust Jerry and under any circumstance invite him into the house, but Jane thinks he is just being a jealous son and ignores him at first. Jerry realizes that Charley is on to him and threatens him and his girlfriend. Charley decides it's time to face Jerry and end his 400 year life. In order to do so he enlists the help of Peter Vincent (David Tennant), a Vegas performer who claims to be a Vampire slayer, but of course this is all just a gimmick. Vincent believes Charley is crazy at first, but he soon will find out the truth about Jerry, and discover some things about his own past.

Beside the fact that Colin Farrell delivers a perfect performance as Jerry the vampire, the other thing that Fright Night has going for it is that it has a clever and funny script. There are few scares; the movie knows it works best as a comedy in the same way that Zombieland had success making fun of its zombies. This time the jokes are about vampires and of course all the legends about the crucifixes, the stakes to the heart, and the need to ask for permission to enter a house aren't ignored here. This last element taken from the very successful vampire Swedish film Let the Right One In (which in my humble opinion is the best vampire film ever). It also manages to make fun of Twilight whenever given the chance claiming that vampires aren't sentimental and even makes references to that movie. Colin Farrell is the star of the film, but the rest of the actors also did a great job. Anton Yelchin is a good actor and he nails his role with his charming innocence. Toni Collette looks great playing her mother, and Imogen Poots is much more than the typical dumb blonde. Christopher Mintz-Plasse and David Tennant are responsible for most of the laughs of the film and the funny moments. The movie is well made, it's clever, entertaining, I just wish it would've been scarier. The effects are pretty well done and there's also plenty of blood for gore fans. Despite everything the movie has going for it, I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much if it weren't for Colin Farrell. He lifts this movie and makes it worth seeing. Fright Night isn't a great movie, but it's worth a watch.

A Nutshell Review: Fright Night

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
7 October 2011

It's probably an understatement that Hollywood is fast running out of ideas with its glut of costumed heroes making the leap from comic books to the silver screen, and slew of remakes and reboots that are happening in assembly line fashion. When I first heard that Fright Night, one of the very few horror films that I had dared to watch and enjoy tremendously, was going to be given a makeover, my initial reaction was there goes another childhood memory which will get butchered badly. But my fears were quite unfounded, as this update actually turned out to be rather enjoyable.

There were specific moments in the original film that had stuck in my mind, such as how the vampire mocks the protagonist who had stuck a crucifix in his face, and being rebuked that it doesn't work if one doesn't have faith. Moments that were as classic as this one got incorporated into the film in a slightly different scenario, which made it a pleasant easter egg each time fans get to spot something the survived the remake.

Directed by Craig Gillespie whose pedigree is as varied as Lars and the Real Girl and Mr Woodcock, Fright Night started off quite wobbly when it tried to establish its characters, jumping directly into the fray with Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) being too cool for his geeky best friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse in a stereotypical role) who suspects that Charley's new neighbor Jerry (Colin Farrell) is actually a vampire responsible for the many mysterious disappearances and deaths of their satellite town. Added into the female quotient for any vampire film, because sinking one's fangs into a long female neck is always deemed as sexy, are Toni Collette as Charley's mom who develops a crush on Jerry, as well as Imogen Poots who plays Charley's hot girlfriend Amy.

It's the excellent visual effects that made this version of Fright Night work, while balancing a fairly engaging story with a light dose of comedy that made this a walk down memory lane of many past horror comedies that entertained without being too campy or silly. You can just about tell the deliberate attempts at 3D as well which centered mostly around blood splattering on screen, and for those donning the 3D glasses, blood splattering toward you by the bucketloads. And let's not forget its technical strengths as well, where a scene that will jump out and scream for your attention revolves literally around a car interior in one continuous, lengthy shot that serves as the highlight of the film for its intensity.

David Tennant may add some unintentional comedic flair to his vampire slayer Peter Vincent character, but it is clearly the nemesis played by Colin Farrell which took the cake and stole everyone's thunder for his cool as cat portrayal of the undead. While the film became sort of an instructional manual on how to get rid of one in the final act, relying upon a number of artifacts both common and uncommon, Farrell plays the vampire with that perfect twinkle in the eye, with the screenplay by Marti Noxon kept close to classic vampire lore, such as the need to get invited to a home before a vampire can enter, steering clear of the recent Twilight nonsensical re-inventiveness of bloodsuckers who can survive in daylight, broods a lot and would rather start a family than to maintain an advantageous swinging single status. And that my friends, is what makes vampire films appealing, not metrosexual pretty boys with emotional issues.

At its core the story's about a guy who has to once again turn toward and recognize his inner geekdom despite desperate and fairly successful attempts to have steered away from it, but ultimately has to look inward for strength to accomplish what would be impossible without a wealth of knowledge. Revenge of the nerd this is, and an entertaining, funny romp this updated Fright Night had turned out to be. Recommended!

Not a bad remake.....

Author: preternaturalme from United States
21 September 2011

Well to start out, I actually enjoyed this movie. It completely entertained me and had quite a few funny bits, though it fell far short of the original. I really did compare it to the original quite a lot, but despite that, this was a very run of the mill movie despite some amazing performances. You didn't care a lick about the characters -- To help I have organized various complaints and points of approval into a handy chart

The Bad:

- All of the characters seemed flat(despite great performances from a few), no quirks, nothing to separate them from everything else Hollywood's spewed out in the past 20 years

- Evil dies 5 minutes into the film

- Charley found out Jerry was a vampire the SECOND he started looking

- We don't see Evil(again) till very near the end of the film

- Mintz-Plasse's performance was really crappy and dull until he turned

- The club scene was terrible, rushed and clichés running amok...

- Charley was a douche bag

- The film was slow for the first hour or so then it was extremely rushed through the end

- We didn't get to know Evil or Vincent in this version and too much time was spent on Charley and Amy

- The movie really needed to be longer, although quite a few scenes really could've been cut to make room

- Vincent needed no convincing that vampires were real because of a tired, unconvincing, useless back story that might not have been too bad if they had expanded it more instead of just dropping it in like a side note.

- Jerry was too up front about being a vampire and lost pretty much any suspense left

- The film was wrapped up way too easily

- The cops completely ignored hard evidence(house fire anyone?) which made a lot of the film completely unrealistic

- The 'popular guys' were overly stereotypical in this version, like little walking Hollywood clichés

- Amy & Charley's mom were convinced of vampires too easily and completely lost all of the side problems Charley had with them

- Amy's change was extremely pathetic here and had no suspense

- The other vampiric powers(shape shifting, turning into mist) were absent. Most glaringly in a *certain* death

- Jerry's house was cookie cutter inside and out, no Gothic architecture to be seen, which really lost a good bit of the atmosphere

- The rescue of Jerry's victim, though exciting, took up too much time that could've been used to expand on the characters.

The Good:

- Farrell's performance was stellar especially with what he had to work with

- Tennant's performance did not have me thinking 'where the hell's his sonic screwdriver' for even a second, but instead he reminded me of Russel Brand(it seems like they were actually going for that for no apparent reason). And if his character would've connected to the audience more it would've vastly improved the film for the ridiculously short time he was on screen.

- Neither Yelchin's nor Poot's performance was bad, despite my previous complaints about the woodenness of the writing and the overly large amount of time spent on them but getting nowhere.

- The car chase scene was very nice although car chases are extremely overdone

- The bits between Vincent and Ginger were entertaining and added more depth to the film(no idea where said depth came from though)

- Chris Sarandon's cameo was fun

- Charley's rescue of Jerry's victim was exciting despite my complaints

And that's about it. Watch it, don't watch it, it's entertaining but not necessarily 'good'. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go watch the original Fright Night a couple times to get the taste out of this one out of my mouth

Absolutely horrible

Author: RealTyche from United States
12 September 2012

This review contains spoilers. Do not read on if you wish to avoid them.

As a long time, cheering fan of the original Fright Night, which I saw in 1985 with a girlfriend, I was hoping that this remake would capture at least the essence of the original and bring back memories of a better time. It failed on both counts.

I found this movie pretentious, and obnoxious in an apparent attempt to disregard everything that the original feature had going for it except the character names. It struck me as a movie that looked at the source material and decided they could 'do it better', tossing out *everything* that made the original so memorable. Jerry Dandridge is supposed to be suave and debonair, always carrying a hint of malice. The new one is the sort of vampire that stands on the street corner and hisses, his motivations in this film make no sense whatsoever. Charley, whom in the original was a bit of a bumbling nerd with a heart of gold, is in the remake a clueless twit that isn't even the one to realize Dandridge is a vampire. And why on earth does Mom suddenly become an action heroine? The one concession to this movie I do make is David Tennant, whom has perfect comedic timing.

Please don't bother with this one if you've seen and loved the original. it's not worth the time to watch it.

I think that vampire may be wearing dentures

Author: stormcatcher-2 from United States
8 January 2012

I hate most remakes and revamps (or in this case, a re-vamp...sorry, Jerry), but in this case, I can actually understand why Hollywood decided to cash in, given how wildly popular all things vampire are right now (and ye GODS, will I ever be glad when this trend ends). And given that the chief writer on this was Marti Noxon, one of Joss Whedon's staff writers on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" - it treads the genre well enough.

That being said, I'll chime in with the majority of the older folk here who preferred the original. And while Marti and her staff manage to throw in one or two surprises into the film, this didn't seem as fun as it did the first time around.

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS POSSIBLE, READ FURTHER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Probably my biggest issue with the film is that most of the main characters aren't quite as sympathetic as they were in the original. Rather than being a bit of a geek, the Charlie Brewster in this film is slowly ingratiating himself to the "in" crowd at his school (mostly thanks to his hot girlfriend), and in the process, he's fairly dismissive to his former friends - so when his pal "Evil" Ed expresses concern about a mutual friend of theirs disappearing, and several missing persons from their class in general, Charlie accuses him of being overly dramatic and paranoid - and when Ed claims that a vampire is the reason, Charlie thinks he's downright crazy. It takes Jerry testing the boundaries of Charlie's knowledge about vampires and putting Charlie's mother and girlfriend at risk before Charlie starts to believe the truth, and by then, you pretty much want to smack him up for being so stubborn in the first place.

As Peter Vincent, David Tennant is a good deal more shallow and boorish than Roddy McDowall was in the role - and the sarcastic banter between him and his live-in...girlfriend? Wife?...is downright annoying. There doesn't seem to be any real reason for him to assist Charlie in his vampire hunt at first, and when the film DOES explain his change of heart later, it's almost a bit too coincidental. Still...it's fun to listen to the banter between him and Charlie, and the movie most certainly would have been far more dull without him.

Colin Ferrell has sex appeal as Jerry, in a sleazy sort of way...and although he's definitely menacing, he also came across to me as desperate. Plus, I found it a little hard to believe that someone could blow up someone else's house, and you never saw a single fire engine or cop car show up, even after twenty minutes or so. Geez, it's the desert, but it's not the North Pole. And I miss the cheesy-yet-creepy atmosphere of the original Jerry Dandridge's house. That place LOOKED haunted, and while it definitely stood out in the neighborhood of more atypical homes, it fit its owner well. In this movie, Colin's place could have been sponsored by IKEA. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a home that blends in with the others around it if you're going to send your neighbor a statement of disapproval by blowing up HIS house, don't you think?

There are a few unexpected surprises that the writers throw our way, but they're far too few and far-between. The scene where Charlie must try to rescue a female neighbor that Jerry is holding prisoner to feed off of is impressively tense, as is the final showdown between Jerry, Peter, and Charlie under Jerry's house. It really makes me wonder what Marti and her team might have accomplished if they had taken even more liberties with the original script.

This is also a remake that suffers from overdone CGI. Especially when it comes to horror films, pretty pixels don't make for convincing scares. I think anyone who has seen the more recent remake of John Carpenter's take on "The Thing" can attest to that. And speaking of...John's movie itself was a remake, and a perfect example of taking the plot of the original in an entirely new and unexpected direction. (Take a note, Hollywood. That's how a remake SHOULD be done.)

If you liked the original movie and got a kick out of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", this one is definitely worth a rental, but I don't see this one becoming a cult classic anytime soon.

Not much Fright For my Night

Author: blandiefam from United States
31 December 2011

I had high hopes for this movie and I ran home from the Red Box to watch it. I had glorious memories of being in my 20's and seeing this movie with my fiancé. Now my wife of 26 years, I was grasping for touches of the old thriller which made her cling to me until the end of the original Fright Night. Instead, I got a not fully developed hurry up version. It lacked any of the newness the original had. Ferrel seemed as if he was phoning in his performance and the development of the characters was abandoned as if the director left it up to the original version to be our platform. I'm not too sure why they decided the success of the 80's version could be out done by a synopsized poorly developed watered down version. I believe if they stuck with the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" theme, they would have had as much box office success as the original did.This a definitely a missed opportunity. By the way, what's up with the Evil Ed rewrite and the creepy associate?