IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 25: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Good for a remake and nice nostalgy

Author: nexus-37 from Finland
25 January 2013

I don't actually remember the original one so clearly, it's been a long time..

But anyway, this somehow recalled me nostalgy way, some scenes look pretty familiar, very many laughs and everything in order.

This movie was originally like one of a kind, so is this remake. Nice to see this kind of surprises. Still i don't like remakes much but this was truly and exception.

One thing I really don't understand is why this is horror/comedy.. The comedy part I truly understand but there really wasn't any horror ANYWHERE. Maybe it is simply so that if there are vampires it must be horror.

Worth to watch if you like classic horror-humor, not being too intellectual but having great laughs, at least I did :) 8/10

This is a must see!

Author: melseele from United States
18 January 2013

If you are a fan of Colin Farrell, then you have to see this movie. I can't imagine any one else playing the vampire but Colin. Colin did a great job in being the bad guy. The way that he walked and talked was awesome! He played a very believable vampire (would love to get bit by Colin!) and his acting was truly incredible. I had never seen a movie with David Tennant before but am a fan now. I loved how he went from a super sexy vampire killer to an ordinary Joe. How brilliant to have his character remove his persona on film by taking off his tattoos, etc. To be honest, this movie wasn't what I thought it would be, but it didn't disappoint. I thought it would be a really scary movie and was very pleased to find that it had a comedic side. I would truly recommend this movie be watched. Don't understand why people can't watch a movie for entertainment without being a critic about everything. Just watch a movie and be entertained, that is how a movie should be viewed.

Its own movie

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
13 January 2013

Teenager Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin), living in Las Vegas suburbs, has managed to advance from his lowly position as a dweeb thanks to entering a relationship with Amy (Imogen Poots). The social progression however brings about a push to change his friends, thus excluding his best pal and ultra-nerd Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) from his contacts. Ed attempts to warn Charley that his next door neighbour Jerry (Colin Farrell) is a blood-thirsty vampire and soon after disappears. Thus Charley's suspicions start to build and he soon finds himself seeking assistance of illusionist and self-proclaimed vampire-hunter Peter Vincent (David Tennant). Who turns out to be a egocentric prick...

A rare case of a remake, which draws inspiration and references from the original, but aims to deliver a fresh new story and outlook. Although all the characters are the same knowing the original won't help you piece together the entire plot, at best leaving you to admire the subtle and not-so-subtle changes to the story. Colin Farrell with his magnetic presence makes for a great neighbourhood vampire - powerful, ruthless, sexually enamouring, but simultaneously controlled and seemingly 'ordinary'. Whereas Farrell is an improvement on the original, David Tennant comes with a 'different' take on Peter Vincent, neither inferior or superior, just alternate and equally enjoyable. Summarily (apart from some miscued acting by Mintz-Plasse) the cast fleshes out a new perspective, which makes "Fright Night" a self-sustaining horror, irrespective of the original with a markedly different story fronted by a great cast.

The is no Hitchcock type attempt to introduce doubt as to the identity of the neighbour. We know he's a vampire and the only question is how quickly others will recognise this obvious reality. Unfortunately Jerry's happy-go-lucky attitude towards getting it his way, introduces an aching necessity to suspend belief in plot feasibility (well... naturally... if vampires really existed). The plot holes are pretty much the biggest flaw, while the lack of uncertainty lowers the suspense bar, thus having the story sold through its intriguing narrative and some well drafted characters. As such the well struck mixture of comedy, action and some horror flair pretty much helps to cover up the problematic issues from the basic premise (which is in fact much better worked than in the original as various idiosyncrasies are reimagined with smarts, such as placing the story in the evanescent Las Vegas quarters).

fast paced kill

Author: bakor al-tayar from Paris, France
15 July 2012

The movie does not waste time to get to the heart of the action. There is a quick and well balanced introduction to the heart of the subject matter, and the audience is not left waiting to experience suspense. Collin Farrell does a great job at playing a charismatic, but dangerous, neighbor that pulls the family and audience straight in to the action. The cast is well chosen, there's no doubt about it – a collection of teenagers that refuse to accept a nerd's truth about vampires, a magician in Vegas, and a few more.

It has been a while since I last saw any horror film, and I smiled when I felt fear come over me. The fear doesn't come alone though, there is a hefty dose of comedy and an impressive amount of action. The film is definitely fast paced and dynamic as the settings change continuously in a fluid manner, and there's a generous dose of vengeance fueled gory action that would leave any audience with a feeling of satisfaction.

Collin's a sexy guy, but when he's a monstruous mean character, you want to see him suffer. No spoiler intended, but in the confrontations, he takes it as much as he dishes it, and the result is fun.

Enjoy!

An average burger

Author: arginnon from Budapest, Hungary
12 May 2012

The movie is nothing special it all. I had a hard time figuring out whether it was a comedy or a horror film, because if it was the first, it wasn't funny enough. It had some laughs, but that's about it. If it was the latter, it didn't take itself seriously enough. It wasn't scary at all. If they were trying to do a mix of both genre's, they failed at that too. Sure they've taken the basic elements of comedies and horror movies, but the mix wasn't right. The two genres simply went against each other, and in the collision both suffered greatly. But Fright Night still didn't fail to entertain.

There were some pretty good stuff in the movie too. The first thing is David Tennant. I hated him in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (he played Barty Crouch Jr.), but in this film he was entertaining as hell! Colin Farrell did a good job too, the others were either too flat or (in the case of Christopher Mintz-Plasse) they went over the top.

What also worked was the music. Ramin Djawadi is the man! His awesome soundtracks never fail to impress me, I can't wait for his next movie. Sadly that's pretty much the end of the positive aspects of the film. It was kinda stupid, the story was dumb, the directing average. Although they tried to put some deeper meaning into the movie, it didn't work.

If I was to compare Fright Night to a food, it would be an average burger. Fun enough, but won't silence your growling stomach for long.

Score: ★★★

Fright Night? NICE SIGHT!

Author: Warren Marris from United Kingdom
9 April 2012

I have never been a fan of remakes, even worse when you find they are done by Dreamworks and Distributed by Disney - That horrific tale is even worse when the remake in question is a classic 80's Horror movie Franchise!!!

Yet DREAMWORKS/Disney have worked wonders with this new take on an old favourite...

It does not match the humour of the 80's original... But the acting is amazing! Colin Farrel comes across as just the perfect side of both charming and thrilling. Despite only a short appearance really given the length of the film,David Tennant as "Peter Vincent" is amazingly funny and perfectly believable as the films Anti-Hero (Well, You cannot call an alcoholic nut job a hero can you!)... He also has some of the films best lines...

Really enjoyed it! and unlike the 80s classic - I did indeed jump out of my seat despite the fact that the scares were so obvious I should not have done!!! But who cares! Sometimes that little bit of familiarity is what saves a film...

A definite one to watch... Glad I have it as i will watch this one again!

A major step down from the first.

Author: Prolox from Canada
4 January 2012

In this remake of the 1985 horror comedy of the same name, CHARLIE BREWSTER (ANTON YELCHIN) is a teenager whom no one will believe when he tells them that his new neighbour, the smooth talking, dangerously good looking, apple eating, sleeps during the day, next door neighbour JERRY DANDRIDGE is really a vampire. Arming himself to the teeth & all alone in his beliefs, following his two former buddies murders, who also discovered Jerry's secret lifestyle. He seeks the help of Las Vegas stage show performer, magician & on stage vampire slayer, the Chris Issaceque PETER VINCENT, in joining him to help rid of Jerry & his legion of the night. But he refuses to believe Charlie's outlandish tale. When Jerry finds out that Charlie knows his secret, he attacks Charlie's friends, girlfriend & mother. Charlie seeks to end his reign of terror or die trying, the latter of which might be the outcome, when many of the people he knows & loves are either ripped apart or become permanent members of the night shift. But as it turns out he's not going to be alone after all, when Vincent himself witnesses the creatures very existence first hand & finds he is nowhere near the brave vampire slayer he is on stage. Can both men stop Jerry & his vampire legion? or will they to wind up dead or worse a vampire? As to be expected & what is usually the case with most horror movie remakes, FRIGHT NIGHT 3D is nowhere near as good as it's original version. There are many reasons, starting with director Craig Gillespie's pedestrian direction & the overall slickness of the production, such as re-locating the films original story from a quiet suburbia to the Las Vegas dessert & a new housing complex & turning vampire TV show host Peter Vincent (Played wonderfully in the original by the late RODDY McDOWALL) into a foul mouthed, full of himself, stage show, Chris Issac rip-off, on stage magician, vampire slayer performer. COLIN FARRELL does well as Jerry, but is hardly the acting craftsman that CHRIS SARANDON is when he contributed to the role back in the original & speaking of Sarandon, he actually has a pretty funny cameo towards the end of the film. The acting is pretty decent & the film manages to wring out a few suspenseful moments & many impressive 3D shots, but it just lacks the original films magic & as I stated before, is nowhere near as funny, suspenseful or scary, as the original. CGI monster effects have also taken the place of actual on screen monster make-up & while I'm not dissing the effects, which are impressive, they are nowhere near as good or as realistic as those seen in the first. All in all, while this may seem like a mostly negative review, it's not mean't to be, but I really can't say I enjoyed the film all that much either, while not a complete loss, it's far from being anything to spectacular & misses out on so many opportunities. CHRISTOPHER MINTZ- PLASSE is fun to watch & one of the better actors here, it's to bad his role is limited. Recommended only to die hard horror fans. As for me, while I may give this film another go down the road, but I think I'm going to stick with the original 1985 film for my thrills, chills & laughs. Despite being followed by a sequel, the film is in no way shape or form, a remake of the 1988 sequel & no relation to this movie at all. In fact it is in some ways, a remake of this film! Borrowing many elements from the 1985 movie than this one did & containing the very same characters & is an improvement over this film (but not by much) it's called, naturally, FRIGHT NIGHT 2: NEW BLOOD

** stars

Tails of a bit too early

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
12 December 2011

Like a lot of people I saw the original and loved it (but then there was less competition back then)

In a lot of ways this is much better. Colin Farrell does an excellent job as moody hottie on the block and watching him and Anton dance around each other trying to avoid saying the 'V' word is a joy. Not a big fan of Tennant and his character is ludicrous but somehow he pulls it off and I found him genuinely funny.

The problem with all these types of movie is they have to turn up the heat and get the action going. Nine out of ten times (like here) the director stamps on the accelerator and wheel-spins off into next doors garden.

Suddenly the plot is torn to shreds as locations, characters and scenes are man-handled into the story to accommodate the acceptable quoter of stakings and be-headings. The previous hour of the movie, which was a joy to watch, suddenly feels like a waste of time as vampires dash all over the show blowing things up.

Saying that the movie is light-hearted, fun and half the people I watched this with really loved it. If you only expect a silly horror-com (like the original) then you are going to have a pleasant evening.

The idea feels worn but the leads save it

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
12 December 2011

After dispelling his friends concerns Charley Brewster finds that his new neighbour Jerry is a vampire and he enlists Peter Vincent a Las Vegas magician and vampire expert to help him.

The 80's original was of its time, Fright Night (2011) successfully takes the offbeat humour of the original and reworks it into a solid piece of entertainment. Five top calibre leads in a mediocre vampire remake somehow make it work. If it were any other actors it may have disappeared into a void. Thankfully the talent of the leads in this eerie cheese-fest is the films strength. It's not the 'why are they doing this' but the 'its cool that they are doing it' factor that's alluring.

Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, Toni Collette and the lovely Imogene Poots (28 Weeks Later) are all on form. Although Tennant is good he isn't as involved as he should be and he lacks the dynamics due to the screenplay that Roddy McDowall gave to the character. Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Ed is notable and delivers some funny moments. Yelchin has some memorable scenes including a hilarious one-liner about a vampire hand. Farrell steals the show as the perfect intense vampire.

The effects are well executed, there are great sets, splendidly done is Vincent's apartment and the Vegas setting gives the film a unique atmosphere and distinct look. Craig Gillespie has an eye for detail and the set pieces are slick and exciting.

The script is average and the idea feels worn. That said, Fright Night has its funny creepy moments and is different enough from the original to be entertaining in its own right.

A Nutshell Review: Fright Night

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
7 October 2011

It's probably an understatement that Hollywood is fast running out of ideas with its glut of costumed heroes making the leap from comic books to the silver screen, and slew of remakes and reboots that are happening in assembly line fashion. When I first heard that Fright Night, one of the very few horror films that I had dared to watch and enjoy tremendously, was going to be given a makeover, my initial reaction was there goes another childhood memory which will get butchered badly. But my fears were quite unfounded, as this update actually turned out to be rather enjoyable.

There were specific moments in the original film that had stuck in my mind, such as how the vampire mocks the protagonist who had stuck a crucifix in his face, and being rebuked that it doesn't work if one doesn't have faith. Moments that were as classic as this one got incorporated into the film in a slightly different scenario, which made it a pleasant easter egg each time fans get to spot something the survived the remake.

Directed by Craig Gillespie whose pedigree is as varied as Lars and the Real Girl and Mr Woodcock, Fright Night started off quite wobbly when it tried to establish its characters, jumping directly into the fray with Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) being too cool for his geeky best friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse in a stereotypical role) who suspects that Charley's new neighbor Jerry (Colin Farrell) is actually a vampire responsible for the many mysterious disappearances and deaths of their satellite town. Added into the female quotient for any vampire film, because sinking one's fangs into a long female neck is always deemed as sexy, are Toni Collette as Charley's mom who develops a crush on Jerry, as well as Imogen Poots who plays Charley's hot girlfriend Amy.

It's the excellent visual effects that made this version of Fright Night work, while balancing a fairly engaging story with a light dose of comedy that made this a walk down memory lane of many past horror comedies that entertained without being too campy or silly. You can just about tell the deliberate attempts at 3D as well which centered mostly around blood splattering on screen, and for those donning the 3D glasses, blood splattering toward you by the bucketloads. And let's not forget its technical strengths as well, where a scene that will jump out and scream for your attention revolves literally around a car interior in one continuous, lengthy shot that serves as the highlight of the film for its intensity.

David Tennant may add some unintentional comedic flair to his vampire slayer Peter Vincent character, but it is clearly the nemesis played by Colin Farrell which took the cake and stole everyone's thunder for his cool as cat portrayal of the undead. While the film became sort of an instructional manual on how to get rid of one in the final act, relying upon a number of artifacts both common and uncommon, Farrell plays the vampire with that perfect twinkle in the eye, with the screenplay by Marti Noxon kept close to classic vampire lore, such as the need to get invited to a home before a vampire can enter, steering clear of the recent Twilight nonsensical re-inventiveness of bloodsuckers who can survive in daylight, broods a lot and would rather start a family than to maintain an advantageous swinging single status. And that my friends, is what makes vampire films appealing, not metrosexual pretty boys with emotional issues.

At its core the story's about a guy who has to once again turn toward and recognize his inner geekdom despite desperate and fairly successful attempts to have steered away from it, but ultimately has to look inward for strength to accomplish what would be impossible without a wealth of knowledge. Revenge of the nerd this is, and an entertaining, funny romp this updated Fright Night had turned out to be. Recommended!