IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 25: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Fun movie, good re-imagination

Author: cls0680 from United States
4 November 2015

A lot of people have slammed this for not being true to the first one, but I think that's the good part of it. Its like a good song cover, it takes the original and doesn't just copy cat it, it changes a few things, gives it a personal twist, without totally destroying the integrity of the original. There are a lot of connections that were made obvious, but not ridiculously obvious. The biggest difference between them is this one is more vampire, and less love. If you're expecting a love story, or seduction, watch the original. That is the biggest difference - Jerry uses Amy, Jerry doesn't love Amy.

This was a fun, updated version, which - I thought - made more sense than the first. It had more back story, anyway, so you understood why Jerry chose that neighborhood, and not just "oh a vampire moved in randomly." Sarandon's Jerry was like a 1980's GQ mag highlighting sweater fashion. Sideways glances in half lighting and talk of love and pain constantly. I was always more afraid of his little friend, who seemed more devious. Collin Farrel is definitely more menacing and believable as a shrewd killer vampire. Sometimes he is uneasy and jittery, followed by a relaxed "cool" and it keeps it uncomfortable in a good way. And his "animal" responses are unexpected, natural, and appreciated.

The rest of the cast was also excellent, I thought. The real star is easily David Tennant who is hilarious, and you have to love him. Christopher Mintz-Plasse twist on "Evil" was good and believable, I felt much more for him than I did in the first movies. I really never "got" Evil in the first movie, but this one makes him much more real and not just an obnoxious hyperactive sidekick. Imogen Poots' "Amy" was such an improvement on the first movie's Amy who was SO whiny and annoying.

If you watch movies specifically for special effects, you can pass on this one. The effects are not good. Bad CGI. And some things, in retrospect don't make much sense - and I think those things are mainly the character's responses. I kept thinking "why is he not more upset about this?" or "why didn't someone notice this?" or "Really - no one is questioning this??"

BUT, the movie itself is pretty good and if you overlook the bad effects and the unrealistic lack of concern sometimes, you'll probably like it and have fun watching it. You had to have some kind of ability to overlook stupidity to watch the first one anyway, right?

A worthy remake to the classic original horror flick!

Author: ivo-cobra8 from Slovenia
30 October 2015

R.I.P. Anton Yelchin (1989 - 2016). It is a tragedy he past away yesterday so young and he is no longer with us anymore. So my review is dedicated in memory of Anton.

Fright Night (2011) I s a really good decent remake of the original horror flick Fright Night (1985). Usually I hate remakes and reboots, but there are some good remakes that I like. Fright Night is one of them! I love Vampire movies and this one is pretty good and well done. I know that Original is the best vampire slasher horror film, but that doesn't mean that remake is awful, which is not! This movie is good and has a good story and does not copy the original. The idea of this film is pure originality. The writers and the director did not copy the original film, but he used his imaginative, that's what makes this film so good. This film is very hated and bashed from critics and fans who just don't understand this film, I do and I love it. It is my favorite slasher comedy horror vampire flick! Sorry but I love it!

This remake is actually good, it Is not bad it is good! - I enjoyed it - The scene when Colin is in the doorway and he is telling Charlie that it's up to him to look out for his girl & his mom - Colin plays that scene just about perfect - a warning & menacing at the same time:)!!!! This movie is fun I loved it. It didn't drag, it was just right, It had a comedy and it had a horror to it, it was a good remake! An example of a good horror remake. Colin Farrell is extremely, extremely underrated in everything he does, it is sad because he is awesome as Jerry the vampire, I like him as vampire. This awesome actor made me lough before he even told a joke. And I just lough because this guy is awesome. This was just a good fun time at the movie theater, I didn't see it in movie theater but you know what I mean, it is a good fun time. It has fun with it, doesn't take it self too serious, like the original one did, which kind a brought the movie down for me. This one knows it is a satire comedy, horror comedy and it treats it as such. Too bad this movie failed! Of all the remakes this one failed! Well the sucky remakes make the money! This is by far the second good horror remake I believe, the first one will always gonna be My Blood Valentine 3D (2009) and the third will be Sorority Row (2009) not that good horror flick but still a good horror film! I am sorry that was awesome, I did enjoyed this movie.

This was an excellent film that distinguished itself from the amazing original but still through out a few shout outs here and there. The cast was awesome with amazing performances by Colin Farrell & Anton Yelchin in the staring roles. The good thing: Amy's (Imogen Poots) part from the original as a girl not sure of herself has been changed to more of a girl who isn't shy about herself or how she feels about Charlie. Also, instead of Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) being the skeptic, it's now Charlie (Anton Yelchin) who doesn't believe his next-door neighbor is a vampire. The bad: I have one problem with it and that is David Tennant as great vampire slayer Peter Vincent, don't get me wrong but for me will always be Roddy McDowall as Peter Vincent, cause this actor can kick the out of David Tennant''s ass and any vampire out there. I wish they would putt Roddy McDowall back in the role instead of David Tennat. I don't like this version of Peter Vincent AT ALL - they should have kept him true to the original. But Roddy McDowall died in 1998 before they could cast him back. May the actor rest in peace. It is sad he is no longer with us anymore.

The basic plot is about Jerry Dandridge (Colin Farrell). He's dangerously charming – and utterly lethal. That's because he just happens to be a vampire, and out for blood…buckets of it. After high school senior Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) makes the connection between Jerry's suspicious activity and a steadily rising body count, he vows to end the reign of terror next door. But he can't do it alone. His only hope is Las Vegas magician/vampire-slayer Peter Vincent (David Tennant). Together, this unlikely duo set out to end Jerry's evil rampage. But Jerry is a ruthless, relentless killer, and he's not going down without a fight. Get set to sink your teeth into this thrilling re-vamp of the terrifying horror classic. Fright Night will captivate you from the very first bite!

The rating to this movie I am giving an 8/10, because this film deserve it and it was really enjoyable horror flick!

Fright Night is a 2011 American neo-noir comedy horror film directed by Craig Gillespie. A remake of Tom Holland's 1985 film of the same name, the film was adapted by Marti Noxon. The film premiered at The O2 in London on August 14, 2011, was produced by DreamWorks Pictures, and widely released by Touchstone Pictures on August 19 in Real D 3D.

8/10 Grade: B+ Studio: Touchstone Pictures, DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, Michael De Luca Productions Distributor: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Starring: Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, David Tennant, Toni Collette Director: Craig Gillespie Producers: Michael De Luca, Alison R. Rosenzweig Screenplay: Marti Noxon Story: Tom Holland Based on Fright Night by Tom Holland Rated: R Running Time: 1 Hr. 46 Mins. Budget: $30.000.000 Box Office: $18.298.649

The Perfect Remake.

Author: NancyStrode
3 September 2015

These days it seems as though every classic horror film is getting a less than stellar remake. This remake of the 1985 classic is the exception. This film is brilliantly made and features a wonderful cast including Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Like Crazy), David Tennant (Doctor Who, Broadchurch), and Toni Collette (Muriel's Wedding).

This film is about Charley Brewster (Yelchin) who is a teenager living in a somewhat normal town. He begins to suspect his new neighbor, Jerry (Colin Farrell) is a vampire. Brewster's friend Evil Ed (Christopher Mintz- Plasse) suggests he and Brewster go to renowned magician Peter Vincent (Tennant) for help. Vincent is reluctant to help the teen stop Jerry from killing. This is one of the best remakes in movie history, and that is truly rare for modern horror. If you loved the original, then you should definitely see this one.

Not Bad but Fangs Aren't As Sharp As the Original.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
3 September 2015

Fright Night (2011): Dir: Craig Gillespie / Cast: Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, Imogen Poots, Christopher Mintz-Plasse: Remake of the awesome 1985 original that effectively exploited the vampire clichés. This version isn't as effective yet it gives it a worthy attempt. Anton Yelchin plays Charlie Brewster, a high school student who discovers that classmates are going missing. When his friend Evil Ed suddenly disappears after suspecting that Brewster's new neighbor is a vampire, he decides to investigate himself and discovers gruesome results. Unlike the original film, the characters of Charlie and Ed seem at different positions here in terms of being convinced of foul play. Yelchin will obviously have to face off with his vampire neighbor Jerry Dandridge but his investigation provides a few suspenseful moments. Colin Farrell plays Dandridge who lures young women into his house where the screams can be heard through Charlie's window. His tactic to lure Charlie out of his house is a nice new touch that results in a road chase. David Tennant plays a younger version of Peter Vincent but he brings comic touches to the theatre horror performer in a British Eric Idle kind of way. He is a louse and a celebrity of selfish means until Charlie seeks his help. Imogen Poots plays Charlie's girlfriend Amy who is struggling to gain commitment from him until she is targeted by Jerry. Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays Evil Ed quite opposite to Stephen Geoffrey's version. The ending is over the top but this is a well made remake to a film that made this particular night frightening to begin with. Score: 7 / 10

Another Hollywood Rip Off.

Author: Bloodmarsh Krackoon from United States
25 July 2015

Did 'Fright Night' really need to be remade? Absolutely not. The original still holds up very well. However, this average remake does try to hold it's own by not completely ripping off the original, so I'll give credit where it's due. Chris Sarandon's 'Jerry Dandrige' came across as a reasonable guy doing what he had to do to survive - but if you stand in his way, well, you know what happens. Colin Farell's version is more like a serial killer killing anyone and everyone in his territory. This is a nice change, since Colin doesn't have what it takes to portray Sarandon's version. Colin is the bigger name, and probably the all around better actor, but some parts are simply made for certain actors - and there's only one 'Jerry Dandrige.'

As for the rest of the cast - again, probably the all around better cast of actors, but they just don't have the chemistry the original cast had. David Tennant receives a lot of the credit from fans, but it's really Colin Farrell who keeps 'Fright Night' afloat.

Random Rambling's of a Madman: While Colin Farrell will never be 'Jerry Dandrige,' he did come across as a guy having a good time, and never taking himself or the role too seriously. If he had taken the serious route, things could have gotten ugly. Why the guy hasn't taken the next step, is beyond me. He's a capable actor - looks the part, but I'm sure there's something personal holding the guy back.

This Movie is Kick Ass!

Author: Seb Brady from Oregon, Wisconsin
1 June 2015

Okay let me start off by saying this movie is kick ass and way superior to the 1985 version. For one instead of the movie being cliché and have the family move into a bad neighborhood(Fright Night 1985), the family is moving into a bad neighborhood. Secondly, Collin Farrell as the Vampire in this movie was like the greatest thing to happen to this movie instead of the boring/Emotionless vampire in Fright Night 1985. Thirdly, this movie has really great acting throughout the film. There was not one actor who I hated in this film. Fourthly, this movie is so damn scary and suspenseful but is also really funny at times, unlike the 1985 version where I was not laughing, scared or even feeling a bit of suspense. All in all, this movie is the superior Fright Night film and I had a lot of fun with it. I would definitely recommend this and watch it over and over again!:)

Great remake of two vampire classics

Author: Tony Hernandez from United States
19 May 2015

This 2011 version of the latter-day classic _Fright Night_ is as good a time you will have watching a vampire movie these days. The cast is great, the direction fast paced and the script witty and reverent at the same time. And, while it is a remake of my favorite vampire movie of the 1980s, it is also pays homage to the best American vampire movie ever, _The Night Stalker_.

While Charlie Brewster is getting the week-willed Peter Vincent to help him save Amy from Jerry Dandridge ("Jerry the vampire!?!"), the movie is also quoting pretty liberally from that classic 1972 Darren McGavin/Richard Matheson masterpiece. The new Fright Night shares a setting (Las Vegas) with the McGavin movie. But more importantly, the first half of the long sequence when Charlie searches Jerry's house and becomes a believer is an almost shot-for-shot quote of McGavin's suspenseful search of the vampire's house at the climax of _The Night Stalker_.

Of course, the new movie has its own payoff to that scene, one that elicits a shudder and a laugh. The laugh comes from the fact that we should certainly have seen that payoff coming, but the suspense of the action just prior has thrown us off guard. This scene, like most of the effects shots, works even better in the original 3D.

There are many other pleasures to this movie, including solid performances by Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots and Toni Colette as the frightened but sophisticated protagonists. Colin Farrell is able to pull off a modern version of the Dandridge character, sexy in a rougher, sweatier way. He may not have the gravitas of Chris Sarandon, but Charlie is right to be wary of this guy, vampire or not.

David Tennant and Christopher Mintz-Plasse steal the show. Tennant updates Peter Vincent by turning McDowell's kindly but cowardly gentleman into a drunken primadonna, Simon Cowell as vampire slayer. And Mintz-Plasse's Evil Ed is hilarious in nerd mode and vampire/nerd mode. His longing for a lost friend is very real and makes his fate all the more touching.

If you have not seen this, check it out. For some reason it did not do well at the box office, but it is the perfect antidote to the sparkling vampires and cuddly werewolves of recent years.

Great way to destroy everything good about the original

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
23 March 2015

The original FRIGHT NIGHT is a fun '80s popcorn flick, ably mixing comedy and horror like the best of '80s genre fare. This 2011 remake is so lame, so predictable, so forgettable in every respect that I wish I hadn't bothered watching it. The plot sticks EXTREMELY closely to the original film, so it's asking for comparisons. But the script for this one is dumb in the extreme: we're saddled with a scriptwriter who seems to think that swearing is funny and that dumb humour is the order of the day. Hell, we're stuck with Christopher Mintz-Plasse in it, for God's sake!

Needless to say this is a failure in every respect, with every action scene, every scenario, every fight, well telegraphed in advance. I turned around at the outset and said "wait for the CGI explosions and people being thrown around" and sure enough all of these things happened as I predicted. About the best thing in it is the Chris Sarandon cameo, that lasts about 30 seconds.

This has one of the worst casts I can think of. Colin Farrell's heart simply isn't in it, and he makes no effort to be imposing. Anton Yelchin is a charisma-free hero and the less I see of Toni Collette, playing his mother, the better. Imogen Poots is as lovely as ever but has little to do here other than look pretty, and the less said about David Tennant's cringe-worthy, Russell Brand wannabe the better. The FRIGHT NIGHT remake is only worth watching if you enjoy rubbishy CGI vampires over the remarkable prosthetics effects of the original.

Intriguing use of a post-Doctor Who David Tennant...

Author: malmborgimplano-92-599820
29 January 2015

Directly after checking out of the role of the Doctor, Matt Smith went into a stage musical version of "American Psycho." I'm guessing that David Tennant took this role as a similar sort of post-Doctoral career palate cleanser, or rather palate-dirtier, to remind people he could play adult roles too. (Daniel Radcliffe took a similar tack post-Harry Potter with "Equus.") Anyway, a boy has to do something in between acclaimed Shakespeare productions and hit BBC TV shows, and if you're a fan of Tennant through his work in truly wonderful shows, it's probably worthwhile to at least do what I did and fast-forward to his bits in this film to do a little David watching.

I couldn't be called a huge fan of the first "Fright Night" in that I can't remember much about it except thinking it was pretty good, so I can't say this pales in comparison. The reason I watched most of this on fast-forward was just impatience. "Did they forget they were making a horror film?" was my thought twenty minutes in when a lengthy segment of teen sex comedy business seemed to have brought all previous attempts at creating suspense to a complete halt. The film did pick up when the protagonist entered Peter Vincent's theater/apartment, but I soon started fast-forwarding when Peter scooted into his panic room and the teens took over the story again.

I won't say that it would have been a better film if there had been more Peter Vincent in it, but I do think Tennant's genuinely genre-friendly work here highlights how scattershot and unfocused the rest of the show is. He's sexy, funny and slightly scary all at the same time (a trick he repeated a couple years later in his Richard II) and the film seems to have spent its limited inspiration quotient on the scenes of Peter prowling his goth lair. The real vampire (who played him again?) in comparison was about as thrilling as a bag of Cheetos.

I question the decision to carry over the name Peter Vincent from the original film. Roddy McDowall's character name was clearly an homage to mid-20th century Gothic horror stars Peter Cushing and Vincent Price, while I gather from other reviewers this Peter is supposed to be a sendup of Criss Angel, so why not call him something like Dann Lucifer (though I would have preferred Raymond Penn.)

Fright Night

Author: skybrick736 from Waconia, Minnesota
24 January 2015

Fright Night is a remake from an underrated 1985 horror gym that doesn't get near the praise it should. However, I watched the remake open minded and was pleased with a lot of new elements to the movie. There are a few nice plot twists and I really liked the main leads especially Colin Farrell and Imogen Poots. I liked that it was a bit more modern and that the setting took place in Las Vegas. It set up nicely the fact that Peter Vincent's magic show was one of the famous Vegas highlights. The movie has a few flaws though one being a poor job on character development for the three friends, which I thought they could have extended a few scenes on in the beginning. Also, it was a huge bummer seeing the fake computer generated vampire effects. That was a huge turnoff that made me say "UGH!" out loud a few times. The Fright Night remake (6/10) is not total rubbish but it's really nothing to seek out.