IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 24: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

This Movie is Kick Ass!

Author: Seb Brady from Oregon, Wisconsin
1 June 2015

Okay let me start off by saying this movie is kick ass and way superior to the 1985 version. For one instead of the movie being cliché and have the family move into a bad neighborhood(Fright Night 1985), the family is moving into a bad neighborhood. Secondly, Collin Farrell as the Vampire in this movie was like the greatest thing to happen to this movie instead of the boring/Emotionless vampire in Fright Night 1985. Thirdly, this movie has really great acting throughout the film. There was not one actor who I hated in this film. Fourthly, this movie is so damn scary and suspenseful but is also really funny at times, unlike the 1985 version where I was not laughing, scared or even feeling a bit of suspense. All in all, this movie is the superior Fright Night film and I had a lot of fun with it. I would definitely recommend this and watch it over and over again!:)

Great remake of two vampire classics

Author: Tony Hernandez from United States
19 May 2015

This 2011 version of the latter-day classic _Fright Night_ is as good a time you will have watching a vampire movie these days. The cast is great, the direction fast paced and the script witty and reverent at the same time. And, while it is a remake of my favorite vampire movie of the 1980s, it is also pays homage to the best American vampire movie ever, _The Night Stalker_.

While Charlie Brewster is getting the week-willed Peter Vincent to help him save Amy from Jerry Dandridge ("Jerry the vampire!?!"), the movie is also quoting pretty liberally from that classic 1972 Darren McGavin/Richard Matheson masterpiece. The new Fright Night shares a setting (Las Vegas) with the McGavin movie. But more importantly, the first half of the long sequence when Charlie searches Jerry's house and becomes a believer is an almost shot-for-shot quote of McGavin's suspenseful search of the vampire's house at the climax of _The Night Stalker_.

Of course, the new movie has its own payoff to that scene, one that elicits a shudder and a laugh. The laugh comes from the fact that we should certainly have seen that payoff coming, but the suspense of the action just prior has thrown us off guard. This scene, like most of the effects shots, works even better in the original 3D.

There are many other pleasures to this movie, including solid performances by Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots and Toni Colette as the frightened but sophisticated protagonists. Colin Farrell is able to pull off a modern version of the Dandridge character, sexy in a rougher, sweatier way. He may not have the gravitas of Chris Sarandon, but Charlie is right to be wary of this guy, vampire or not.

David Tennant and Christopher Mintz-Plasse steal the show. Tennant updates Peter Vincent by turning McDowell's kindly but cowardly gentleman into a drunken primadonna, Simon Cowell as vampire slayer. And Mintz-Plasse's Evil Ed is hilarious in nerd mode and vampire/nerd mode. His longing for a lost friend is very real and makes his fate all the more touching.

If you have not seen this, check it out. For some reason it did not do well at the box office, but it is the perfect antidote to the sparkling vampires and cuddly werewolves of recent years.

Great way to destroy everything good about the original

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
23 March 2015

The original FRIGHT NIGHT is a fun '80s popcorn flick, ably mixing comedy and horror like the best of '80s genre fare. This 2011 remake is so lame, so predictable, so forgettable in every respect that I wish I hadn't bothered watching it. The plot sticks EXTREMELY closely to the original film, so it's asking for comparisons. But the script for this one is dumb in the extreme: we're saddled with a scriptwriter who seems to think that swearing is funny and that dumb humour is the order of the day. Hell, we're stuck with Christopher Mintz-Plasse in it, for God's sake!

Needless to say this is a failure in every respect, with every action scene, every scenario, every fight, well telegraphed in advance. I turned around at the outset and said "wait for the CGI explosions and people being thrown around" and sure enough all of these things happened as I predicted. About the best thing in it is the Chris Sarandon cameo, that lasts about 30 seconds.

This has one of the worst casts I can think of. Colin Farrell's heart simply isn't in it, and he makes no effort to be imposing. Anton Yelchin is a charisma-free hero and the less I see of Toni Collette, playing his mother, the better. Imogen Poots is as lovely as ever but has little to do here other than look pretty, and the less said about David Tennant's cringe-worthy, Russell Brand wannabe the better. The FRIGHT NIGHT remake is only worth watching if you enjoy rubbishy CGI vampires over the remarkable prosthetics effects of the original.

Intriguing use of a post-Doctor Who David Tennant...

Author: malmborgimplano-92-599820
29 January 2015

Directly after checking out of the role of the Doctor, Matt Smith went into a stage musical version of "American Psycho." I'm guessing that David Tennant took this role as a similar sort of post-Doctoral career palate cleanser, or rather palate-dirtier, to remind people he could play adult roles too. (Daniel Radcliffe took a similar tack post-Harry Potter with "Equus.") Anyway, a boy has to do something in between acclaimed Shakespeare productions and hit BBC TV shows, and if you're a fan of Tennant through his work in truly wonderful shows, it's probably worthwhile to at least do what I did and fast-forward to his bits in this film to do a little David watching.

I couldn't be called a huge fan of the first "Fright Night" in that I can't remember much about it except thinking it was pretty good, so I can't say this pales in comparison. The reason I watched most of this on fast-forward was just impatience. "Did they forget they were making a horror film?" was my thought twenty minutes in when a lengthy segment of teen sex comedy business seemed to have brought all previous attempts at creating suspense to a complete halt. The film did pick up when the protagonist entered Peter Vincent's theater/apartment, but I soon started fast-forwarding when Peter scooted into his panic room and the teens took over the story again.

I won't say that it would have been a better film if there had been more Peter Vincent in it, but I do think Tennant's genuinely genre-friendly work here highlights how scattershot and unfocused the rest of the show is. He's sexy, funny and slightly scary all at the same time (a trick he repeated a couple years later in his Richard II) and the film seems to have spent its limited inspiration quotient on the scenes of Peter prowling his goth lair. The real vampire (who played him again?) in comparison was about as thrilling as a bag of Cheetos.

I question the decision to carry over the name Peter Vincent from the original film. Roddy McDowall's character name was clearly an homage to mid-20th century Gothic horror stars Peter Cushing and Vincent Price, while I gather from other reviewers this Peter is supposed to be a sendup of Criss Angel, so why not call him something like Dann Lucifer (though I would have preferred Raymond Penn.)

Fright Night

Author: skybrick736 from Waconia, Minnesota
24 January 2015

Fright Night is a remake from an underrated 1985 horror gym that doesn't get near the praise it should. However, I watched the remake open minded and was pleased with a lot of new elements to the movie. There are a few nice plot twists and I really liked the main leads especially Colin Farrell and Imogen Poots. I liked that it was a bit more modern and that the setting took place in Las Vegas. It set up nicely the fact that Peter Vincent's magic show was one of the famous Vegas highlights. The movie has a few flaws though one being a poor job on character development for the three friends, which I thought they could have extended a few scenes on in the beginning. Also, it was a huge bummer seeing the fake computer generated vampire effects. That was a huge turnoff that made me say "UGH!" out loud a few times. The Fright Night remake (6/10) is not total rubbish but it's really nothing to seek out.

Build Up for a Let Down

Author: Vincent Black from United States
30 December 2014

I am not going to compare this movie to the original release, simply because the original film was there first before the remake. Everyone likes originality.

This movie fails all on its own. The vampire kills his local neighbors. Where was this vampire on day one of "vampire 101" class? Every decent vampire out there knows you hunt victims away from home and bring them to your lair. You don't incite the neighbors with dumpsters. Above all else you don't stare at people like you are some serial killer pedophile stalker. That is all he does in the film is stare at them.

About 90% of the movie is just suspense moments and I would file it under suspense, not comedy and not horror. Nothing very funny happens, nothing real scary occurs, and the action (if you call it that) is in the last 20 to 30 minutes of the film. Touchstone is Disney so it is vampire with lite-horror moments. Honestly if they toned it down they could of got the PG-13 rating they were shooting for in the first place.

The only redeeming character was the spoof on Chris Angel. He didn't have a highly original role or background just the only one I cared about. Maybe the actor was just that good he could pull it off, but the rest of the cast I wouldn't give a job working on a TV commercial or maybe their role was too thin. Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Dave Franco was in the movie all too brief, so I really can't tell you anything from a cameo performances.

I didn't care for Colin Farrell's acting at all. It seemed like any moment, he was just going to pull a tub out in the middle of the neighborhood and bath in blood. He may not have been so bold as to state he was a vampire but he gave off creeper vibes every time he talked to people. The only interesting scene was him blowing up the house in a very unique way.

The movie by itself is just your below average vampire picture.

As good as the original in its own way

Author: gnix1979 from United Kingdom
21 November 2014

If you have not seen this movie yet, please do so as soon as possible, I believe Netflix has it and maybe Amazon's on demand service has it too but don't know, but you have to see this film.

Considering the original Fright Night is a masterpiece of creative thinking, I tried to look at this movie as I did with the Italian Job, and look at the movie as more of a reinvention or even a montage to the original because if one looks at a movie as a remake, then you will automatically set a bar that is way to high. That's why I liked the newer Italian Job.

As for Fright Night, in comparison to the original it is definitely modern, the soundtrack, the sets and atmosphere are refreshed and the initial back story to Peter Vincent was interesting considering the location of the movie and was a good substitute for how he is introduced in the original.

However watching this movie it did lack on a few things which prevents be giving this 10/10, and in short it was the things I liked in the original that I thought were missing. First of all the character of Ed (Evil Ed), in the original he was a sidekick for Charlie, and he was used just enough to make him a likable character and saddened by his demise at the end, in the newer version, the character is under used and his I was less impressed when we see him as vampire. The second thing that I thought was lacking was the relationship that Charlie has with Jerry. In the original the main focus of the film is that Charlie knows Jerry is a vampire because he catches Jerry with a woman, that moment was amazing, but because of technology, Jerry is found out through candid camera (in other words cast no reflection). Thus leads to the inevitable battle of wits between Charlie and Jerry. In the original this battle was longer and it involved more people and was far more believable, this was sadly lacking in the newer version.

Neither of these negative points make the movie bad, but just things I hoped to have seen but never did. If I was to point out another negative it would be the soundtrack, most fans will agree that the soundtrack to the original helped make the movie, in particular the song that I call Jerry's theme (original title: Come To Me) is used to great effect, as well as the music used in the nightclub scenes.

But I give this 9/10 because this movie holds its own in its own way. Colin Farrell's Jerry in my opinion is far more sadistic then then Chris Sarandon's Jerry, and he is able to use his likable charm to great effect in this role, that being said Sarandon's Jerry was more the likable in some ways, he is suave and also has charm, and his mannerisms are excellent. The character of Charlie is interesting when you compare Anton Yelchin and William Ragsdale. Both play the role well, were as Ragsdale's version is more the teenager who knows it all but nobody believes, Yelchin's version shows a more human element to the character especially when you see him after the hospital scene.

Any way, see it and make up your own mind, but its all good.

Nothing Spectacular,but it's Funny and sometimes Terrifying,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
1 November 2014

Fright Night is a good movie with a well written storyline and a great cast that are able to jump from comedy to horror in different scenes.I normally don't like horror comedies because they usually try too hard to be both scary and funny and they end up failing at both,but this film managed to maintain both of them very well,there were scenes that had me laughing and also just as many scenes that had me in fear.I enjoyed Anton Yelchin's performance and he had great chemistry with Imoogen Poots as well,but my favourite performances are from Colin Farrell and David Tennant,they are the main reasons this worked out as a horror and comedy,because Farrell was genuinely,and quite surprisingly, terrifying as a vampire,he was dark and nothing like any character he had ever played previously,and David Tennant brought in most of the laughs,his character was hilarious even when he was suppose to be serious and was certainly given the best lines.Its nothing outstanding,but Fright Night works out pretty well as both a horror and comedy and I would recommend it to anyone looking for either of those if you have some time to kill.

A teenager discovers he is living next door to a vampire and calls on a Las Vegas musician for help.

Best Performance: David Tennant Worst Performance: Christopher Mintz-Plasse

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

Entertaining, even creepy with a great cast

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
24 September 2014

I've never seen the original 1985 Fright Night but enjoyed this for what it was. It reminded me of that Shia LaBeouf, Rear Window remake Disturbia because this also see's a suburban teenager spying on his charismatic new neighbour, realizing he's a vampire (killer) and then unable to convince anyone taking on the monster himself. We also have the hot girl-next-door and assorted teen angst. I wouldn't say this was a great movie but it was entertaining, even creepy at times and gave me a few laughs. I also really enjoyed the entire cast; Anton Yelchin as 'Charlie' does a great job, Toni Collette as the mother, David Tennant was excellent (and hilarious) as Peter Vincent and Colin Farrell, while a strange choice as a vampire was definitely charismatic and super sexy. He's no sparkling vampire here either, he's a straight up killer. The ending battle was well done. 9/10/14

Most Fun I've Had With A Vampire Pic Since From Dusk Till Dawn

Author: Nancy_Grease from Canada
5 September 2014

Fright Night is a remake of the 1985 Tom Holland film of the same name produced by Steven Spielberg's Dreamworks Pictures and distributed by Walt Disney. Colin Farrell takes over the vampiric role made famous in horror circles by Chris Sarandon (who has a funny cameo in the 2011 version). Here, a young man fears his friends and neighbours are being murdered by a monster living next door and enlists the aid of a popular TV magician named Peter Vincent. The jokes are funny and the dialogue is quite clever. Chalk that up to screenwriter Marti Noxon who wrote and produced Buffy the Vampire Slayer and later worked on Angel. The cast is appealing, the characters fun and the scares and special effects work. Spielberg is said to have taken a hand at times to improve the look and feel of this thrilling, action packed horror movie which is probably the best of it's kind since From Dusk Till Dawn