IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 23: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

not living up to the start

Author: viktorhelenius from Sweden
8 October 2011

it started well, quite interesting...but then it turned out to be very boring and with a dragged storyline. i couldn't finish watching it. the problem was, i think, that they tried to make a bigger plot out of a movie with little plot. it wasn't all bad, Collin Farrell was doing a good job really, he's fun to watch. so if you like him, you might enjoy the first hour or so. now to the rating: suspense: 3, violence: 3, humor: 5, action: 5, acting: 7, direction: 6, storyline: 2, sex: 1, gore: 3 (girls getting bitten) i wouldn't say it's a movie for children or young people however there isn't much as in violence, gore, sex or anything so it wouldn't traumatize anybody. all in all, i think it would be a real good movie if it was cut a little.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
28 February 2014

I am not a fan of remakes, because rarely, if ever, do they do justice to the original film. That being said, I wasn't expecting anything out of the Fright Night remake, except for a cameo by Chris Sarandon. I was however pleasantly surprised, as the young cast was better than expected. For those who don't know the story, it is a classic vampire tale. Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) is a normal teenager, whose life revolves around High School and his beautiful girlfriend. Everything is perfect until an old friend tells him that his new neighbor is a vampire. At first Charley doesn't believe him, but the more he watches, the more he realizes that something isn't right. Anton Yelchin opposes Colin Farrell, and while he might not have the name recognition, he easily outshines the veteran actor. Yelchin has a cult following among fans of teen movies, after strong performance in films like Charlie Bartlett and Middle of Nowhere. As with most teen idols, his popularity is not just about his looks, it comes from his smooth relaxed style of acting, that people can relate to. Yelchin's characters are always real and honest, the kind of guy audiences can easily relate to, and that's what makes him as good as he is. Yelchin has help in this film from an all-star cast that includes, Farrell, Toni Collete, Christopher Mintz-Plasse-Mclovin, Dave Franco, and of course the original vampire, Chris Sarandon. The combination of chemistry between new and veteran make for a truly powerful cast, that bring new life to this classic story.

I would say better, sexier nd more interesting than twilight series..

Author: sai kiran from India
5 December 2013

1st: Colin Farrel was sexy and awesome... he really suits in a vampire character.. I wonder y EDWARD is voted DA sexiest but Colin was too hot in his role.. next the girl who played Anton Yelchin's gf was also cute nd sexy.. and I didn't watch the older version but this is a cool popcorn flick to watch wid UAR friends. u'll definitely luv it guys... Dnt believe in the oldie's reviews who saw DA previous version of it and say the older one was better... :D 1.twilight has no kinda mother sentiment.. but dis one has it.. 2.Colin was great in all aspects than Robert... 3.Bella had no expressions.. Amy in dis showed a lot variation... my friends loved it. u'll love it too.

Mediocre

Author: Averlienb from Singapore
23 August 2013

I love Colin Farrell and David Tennant, and that's why I decided to watch this movie despite the low rating. However, it's a waste of the talents of the 2 actors.

Fright Night tells the classic story of vampires as it is, without much plot nor new ideas, making it boring and predictable. The main character is a good boy gone bad, but not so bad that the story becomes interesting. The only things to look forward to in this movie are probably Sandra Vergara (the younger sister of Sofia Vergara), the acting by the British actors, and the detailed CGI --which are actually not that much either.

A worthy remake

Author: moviefanman76-blogspot-com from United States
14 August 2013

Tom Holland's Fright Night (1985) is one of the few vampire film's the non-Twilight fans enjoy. Not only did have good make-up effects for its time, but it also had likable characters and a contemporary plot that audiences had never thought about before. And because of its success, three years later spawned Fright Night Part 2 (1988), which like many sequels had a diminishing return but still had a strong following. Jump to 25 years later and we have the remake that I can't say everyone wanted to see, but for the people who were tired of the Twilight series, definitely had something different to watch here. Especially for those who never saw the original to begin with.

The plot is the same as the original, a teenage boy, Charlie Brewster, figures out that his next door neighbor is a vampire and soon finds out the vampire is out to get him, his friends and family. Remember though, for any of you readers who saw the original, this is a remake so not every scene will be done the same. For example, instead of Charlie discovering the vampire on his own, a classmate friend of his tells him. This is just one of several differences between this film and the original. But that's the only difference - the scenes, and Marti Noxon did a fine job at writing the screenplay. After all it's not her first time writing a story about vampires. Noxon also wrote the story for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1996). Besides, everything else is kept relatively the same from characters, to effects and gore.

Playing Charlie Brewster is Anton Yelchin, an actor who has been filling the shoes of several famous characters now like Kyle Reese from the Terminator series, Chekov from the Star Trek series and now this. Yelchin is convincing as a teenager because he has the baby face to prove it, plus his voice isn't that deep. Playing the charismatic Peter Vincent (the famous vampire slayer) is David Tennant, who also gives a performance that is much enjoyable for his sarcastic attitude. Surprisingly, even Chris Sarandon, the original vampire from Tom Holland's classic, has a brief cameo. Watch out for him, his screen time isn't long.

But if there's one character that tops them all, it's Colin Farrell's performance as Jerry, the vampire next door. The best parts are when Farrell makes his character act like a human being. The movements, mannerisms and smooth voice make him one slippery little devil. In fact, one could say that Farrell had a lot of fun with this role because of how much he smiled in every frame. Some of the scenes that he plays in are actually quite comical, even though the movie's basis is the horror genre. But there will be times where you can't help but laugh because of how awkwardly hilarious the situation may seem.

However, if there was one thing that didn't help Farrell look more like a vampire was the CGI special effects. When the vampire face of Jerry takes over it doesn't look as real as it should be. I don't know, perhaps I wasn't expecting a whole facial reconstruction when he decided to transform. He honestly didn't even look like a vampire to me, which just made him look fake. The gore and blood was there but that was also mixed too. There were some scenes where it mixed well with real objects and then there were other scenes where it look like it was added in last minute. That should have been skimmed over a little more I think. The music was great though. Ramin Djawadi's score had a main theme and contained a lot of strings and organ sounds which are key in creating horror music. Well done.

The remake to the 1985 vampire flick is a fair match to its original. The music is appropriate, and actors perform well, especially Colin Farrell. The special effects may look unfinished though.

Is solid and a hit

Author: alex wolfman from United States
12 August 2013

wish I had seen the original Fright Night from 1985. Usually you don't watch a remake until you see the original but with Fright Night it was different for me. This remake of Fright Night is one of the few films that I liked that is aimed towards my (teenage) age group.

With the same idea as the original, a teenager finds that his neighbor is a vampire. With many ideas involving teen themes, this turns into survival story in the Las Vegas area.

Unlike most remakes which usually have bad casts, this film is just the opposite. Known actor Anton Yelchin is the lead with rising stars Christopher Mintz-Plasse and David Franco in supporting roles. Established star Colin Farrell plays the villain who is a vampire let loose into a cast full of teens. The vampires in this movie are of an old style and not like the modern vampires of recent movies and I appreciated and liked this.

The Las Vegas setting provides cool hip scenes as well as some desert scenes which is kind of different for the horror genre. The movie also has an ending that puts everything into perspective and closes the film very nicely. All of this makes this film really stand out.

Fright Night is solid and a hit. I think it is one of the top remakes ever.

refreshing remake, good cast, eerie vibe... nice

Author: brunothepitt
1 August 2013

vampire movies, zombie movies and horror movies are kinda popular in recent years. don't get me wrong when u need your fix its not hard to find something to tickle your fancy cause there are some decent ones out there. however at the same time many movies of this genre appear similar and predictable almost to the point where it seems the writer and producer has simply just wrote an average script with average ideas, added some monsters, looked for a scary set and added a creepy soundtrack. the original fright night was a horror movie from the 80's( i think) and was totally different to the other horrors we used to watch. our grandad used to make us watch the old black and white ones but this was modern and in colour..lol. the film was memorable because of the story, cast and it was eerie and spooky. very watchable so when i heard about the remake was curious and hoping they wouldn't mess this one up even though that would of been tough as the story so good. kudos they didn't.

Generation Gap

Author: kols from United States
7 May 2013

The only things shared between Fright Night 2011 and Fright Night 1985 are a few plot elements and the names; otherwise, they're two completely different movies, coming from two completely different traditions.

First, the title: in Fright Night 1985 it referred to the horror movies local TV stations would air at 11 or 12 on Friday or Saturday nights and some TV stations still do. In Fright Night 2011, it refers to nothing except Fright Night 1985.

Then there's Charley - in the original, he's introduced as a blank that fills out as the plot unfolds. In 2011, he's immediately portrayed as a smart-assed High School Kid, defining the tradition this movie comes from, Teenagers as Idiot Jerks movies, i.e., Hostel.

And then there's Amy. In the 1985 version, she begins as a kind of girl friend/sidekick. In the Nightclub scene she blossoms into a sexy seductee. In 2011, she's just kind of there, no particular energy.

Amanda Bearse's Amy, particularly as she is taken by Chris Sarandon's Dandrige, highlights the difference between the two movies. 2011 has nothing of the smoldering sensuality of her seduction or her simpering misery once it was accomplished.

Another big difference, Roddy Mcdowall's Peter Vincent is absent, partially replaced by a Las Vegas magician who appears half-way through and bears no resemblance to his namesake.

Likewise, Chris Sarandon's Dandrige is a tour de force performance; Collin Farrell's character may have the same name but bears no similarity.

More than anything else, however is the focus and pace of both movies. The original has a tight focus, the camera rarely strays more ten feet away from the characters. 2011 rarely gets within five feet of them. The original orchestrates its pacing to full dramatic effect while 2011 just kind of rolls the camera without trying to establish any particular pace. This is, again, an example of the two traditions.

There's a great deal more that could be said and many of the reviews document chapter and verse but, for me, the big point is that 1985 and 2011 are just plain different movies reflecting different sensibilities and cannot be judged in reference to each other.

Since I hate 2011's tradition, Idiot Teenagers, I can't honestly rate it. My choice, Fright Night 1985. That's where the generation gap comes in, I spent the 70's and 80's developing a fondness for these little, well-crafted movies whether studio or independently produced and there were a lot of them. Then sensibilities changed and another generation gap appeared.

Actually Quite Scary!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
14 March 2013

Fright Night, the 2011 remake of the 1985 film, is actually a really good film that features lots of thrills and chills. These days, I fear any vampire movie that is released will end up being just like a Twilight film. I'm glad to report that this film features vampire violence, gore, and very little romance which is the total opposite of the Twilight films. Granted, I have not seen the original film but I this is a good stand-alone film and one that most horror fans should enjoy.

This film is about a mysterious stranger who moves next door to the Brewster family. It turns out that this neighbor, Jerry, happens to be a member of the supernatural family. When he becomes a threat to everyone they know, Charley Brewster hires a vampire professional to end the threat.

I feel really bad for Colin Farrell. When he puts up a great performance, no one goes out to see him. Unfortunately, Mr. Farrell is a box office disaster as this film was. But, he was really good as Jerry. He blends together a mixture of comedy and horror to make a very memorable character. David Tennant is really good as the vampire professional because he is pretty funny.

Overall, this is a great film that may be better than the original. This is not a one hundred percent horror film which is great because I'm not a big horror fan. This film has plenty of comedy and with a dark premise, that addition is welcome. This is one of the better vampire films made within the past decade. I rate this film 9/10.

Right Night for Fright Night

Author: Chandru Bhojwani (cultjones@yahoo.com) from United Kingdom
11 February 2013

I knew very little about the original or the remake and expected a clichéd flick where a kid spends the entire movie trying to convince his family that the neighbor is a vampire. Surprisingly, it was anything but predictable! It was as if Director, Craig Gillespie and writers, Marti Noxon and Tom Holland, threw convention out the window and made a movie to truly entertain!

With a string of lack luster movies, this seemed perfect film for Colin Farrell to illustrate his range, make his mark and climb back up to the 'A' list. Fortunately, he didn't disappoint and managed to compliment the quick and witty script exceptionally well. Anton Yelchin, Toni Collette and David Tennant round out the recognizable cast and each plays their role quite well.

Fright Night is truly a pleasant surprise and Gillespie does a fantastic job of captivating and surprising the viewer. Even the end credits, which run against Hugo's rendition of '99 Problems,' are entertaining! How often can you say that?