IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

what a load of bull plop

Author: melucy_rox
20 September 2011

Now I am not going to pretend that this I am a film critic, though i would just like to say that i feel i have just wasted my time and money on this BAD, terrible, awful movie. It is 2hours of clichés where i felt the only exciting bit in the entire movies was the previews.

The acting was okay, nothing extraordinary possibly with the exception of David Tennant who was the only intentionally funny character in the entire movie. The fact that it was YET ANOTHER 3D movie probably didn't help it at all, and the CGI was sub-par and its YET ANOTHER disappointing 2011 movie.

Save your time and hard earned money guys, if you would like to see it wait for the DVD.

Only okay.

Author: VWstarwars from United States
15 September 2011

Yeah, I gotta' give it a one because a 6.9 is way too high for this movie and I want my vote to count. Really and honestly this movie is only mediocre at best. It is no where near as good or interesting as the original "Fright Night," which was one damn good and fun movie. This remake's lackluster performance at the bock office is just another example of audiences really displaying what they want and don't want . . . Remakes being something that horror film fans are burned the "F" out on!!! Get this Hollywood, Please!!! The ORIGINAL "Fright Night" was a hit, made more money, not in 3D and with 1985 ticket prices. This should make your realize something as well, because it was ORIGINAL. All of the talk about how the 1985 film was a commentary on vampire horror in the mid-80's, which was almost non-existent at that point, and your new version being a commentary on the current swamp of boring, rip-off vampire titles should also tell you that coming out with another, cheap rip-off is a mistake! We've heard all the "We're updating for modern audiences" garbage until we want to vomit!!! Or "We're improving" because no, you are not making better movies when you do this! CGI effects are not that great and do not save or make better films. What we keep getting are vapid rehashes directed by someone who really wants to direct something else.

All and all . . . wait for video here.

A remake that should have NEVER been made

Author: mickspix2054 from United States
23 November 2012

I'm a big fan of the 1985 original "Fright Night". I'm not saying that it's ever going to be thought of as being in a class with "Casablanca" or "Citizen Kane", but it's a fun diversion and does boast a truly excellent performance from Roddy Mcdowell, good performances from William Ragsdale and Stephen Geoffreys, and possibly the most menacing and frightening vampires I've ever seen in Chris Sarandon. Hell, even the presence of Amanda Bearse wasn't too offensive !!

On the other hand, I've just watched the remake and find it hard to believe that, even with some of the absolutely awful movies that are being released now, that this unutterable piece of crap could have EVER made it to a screen.

There is NOT ONE likable character in this version, and to add insult to injury, they're all so badly played that you won't know whether to laugh or cry.

All in all, unless you are a teenage girl with an IQ that pretty much matches your bra size, and thinks that the completely ridiculous "Twilight" things are "Like, soooo coool, avoid this horror story of a horror story LIKE THE PLAGUE...which, come to think of it, probably would have been more fun to watch.

Where is the seduction???

Author: L from Denmark
8 February 2012

In many ways it looks like a great re-make: they've managed to bring the story up to 2011 really well, and the actors are perfect for the roles. The renewal of the characters is also well done in most cases, I especially enjoyed the new "Peter Vincent" - they have found a very humorous way to renew this character.

For the part of Jerry, Colin Farrel is a wise choice. But IMO they failed miserably in renewing this essential character. Unfortunately, and this is what ruins the whole movie for me; they have taken all the seduction out of Jerry!! :( What I LOVE about the old movie is especially the way Jerry seduces everyone around him (except Charlie). He even seduces Charlie's friend, Evil. And the scenes with Jerry and Amy are SO hot. That has all been taken out of the character Jerry in this movie, and that disappointed me so badly. If given the chance, I am certain that Colin Farrel would have rocked at playing Jerry in a more seductive way - he certainly has the look.

So, because of this "destruction" of the character Jerry, I can only give the movie 3 stars.

Silly

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 January 2012

Confession: this viewer has not seen the original 1985 version of FRIGHT NIGHT and is not a fan of the interminable line of vampire movies that flood the screens year after year. So why watch FRIGHT NIGHT 2011? Seeing the names of fine actors such as Colin Farrell, Toni Colette, +/- Anton Yelchin suggested this might not be a bad movie if those actors committed to it. And perhaps it is partly due to the fact that lack of exposure to this genre creates the problem of deciding why some people find these films funny while other find them frightening. So, preface over. Given the virginal approach to this vampire film, this viewer finds it silly, poorly written, self indulgent - and an unexplainable waste to talent.

Tom Holland is recycled by Marti Nixon and the updated Las Vegas suburb community form is handed to director Craig Gillespie. The 'plot' centers on the presence of one Jerry (Colin Farrell, subtle acting at first and then falls apart) as the resident vampire next door to Century 1 Realtor Jane Brewster (Toni Collette) and her nerdy son Charley (Anton Yelchin). Charley's equally nerdy friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) is convinced that Jerry is a vampire and carries crosses and stakes etc in preparation for meeting him (an early taste treat for Jerry, Ed becomes a ridiculously distorted mad man). The two lads are mocked by fellow classmates Mark (Dave Franco, brother of James Franco) and Ben (Reid Ewing) and teased by the very beautiful Amy (Imogen Poots). Kids go missing and soon Charley becomes a believer and form there on out it is a detective game to rout out Jerry. Charley, once convinced that Jerry is indeed a vampire, seeks guidance from the alcoholic scare-showman Peter Vincent (David Tennant) who has secrets of his own. Of course it is evident that it will turn out just fine, but getting there (to the end) is a tedious bore. The musical score is by Ramin Djawadi and the cinematography (thankfully mostly in the after hours dark vampires so need) is by Javier Aguirresarobe.

Perhaps this is funny to some and perhaps it is frightening to others: after all there is a faithful cult of addicts who run to the theaters whenever one of these vampire flicks is released. It is an acquire taste....

Grady Harp

A movie that when compared to the original is no where near as good. If you haven't seen original you may like this. I say C-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
1 November 2011

"There's a lot of bad people out there, Charlie. Everyone's gotta look after their own business." Charile (Yelchin) has a new neighbor named Jerry (Farrell) who Charlie thinks is a vampire. Trying to convince his mom and girlfriend isn't as easy as he thinks, and it could wind up biting him if they don't realize it soon. This is a tough movie for me to review. I saw the original for the first time a few days ago and was really looking forward to this one. Comparing the two...this one sucked. Bad. The original, while very cheesy was still more interesting and much more tense then this one. Without trying to give anything away, the "mystery" of is Jerry a vampire is drug out in the first one. This one shows Jerry biting someone in the first scene he is in. The Ed character in the original was very over the top and watching it I though how great the choice of "McLovin" to play him was. He was entirely wasted in this movie and would have been better if both he and the Peter Vincent character were just left out. All that said if you haven't seen the original you may like this one. But for me this is another remake that didn't need to be made. Overall, a movie that when compared to the original is not as good at all. I give it a C-

*Also try - Fright Night (original) & Let Me In

Fright Night had a few good moments but is mostly flawed.

Author: FanPerspective from United States
4 September 2011

When seeing a remake, it is very difficult to get the original film out of your mind; you compare every little detail as you watch. In some cases, you actually forget the original and enjoy the remake because they did some patch work that really improved the film as a whole and better developed the characters. Fright Night, however, did not live up to its 1985 origins. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would... there were actually some new twists I found to be pretty clever. Overall, though, I feel like it failed to live up to the original film (of which I am a big fan) and had there not been an original and this stood on its own... I feel like it still wouldn't have played out so well.

The story centers on high school student, Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin), who begins to sense that something isn't quite right about his new next door neighbor, Jerry (Colin Farrell). When Charley's best friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) goes missing after trying to convince him that Jerry is a vampire, though, Charley's suspicions rise and begin connecting the dots surrounding his neighbor and the string of recent disappearances. With no one to believe his vampire theory, Charlie attempts to enlist the help of self-proclaimed vampire slayer, Peter Vincent (David Tennant), to help him take Jerry down.

While the producers were able to wrangle a pretty decent list of actors for the film, it all just felt horribly miscast. It may sound like a contradiction, but while giving pretty good performances... hardly any of the actors felt right for the characters they were portraying, especially Farell who made for a lousy vampire. Yelchin was probably the most convincing of all, which was good because his character had to carry the story.

As was with the original, the film did manage to keep a good sense of humor about itself. I do think it did a good job of building up a looming suspense throughout and keeping the tension high. It very quickly became more an action-comedy than a horror flick, but it did manage to get in a few unexpected and even frightening moments. Unlike the original, though, the writing was very shaky. I felt like it was trying to walk the line of keeping true to the original and at the same time define itself as its own, which made it a bit sloppy at times.

Director Craig Gillespie relied a bit too heavily on CGI for certain aspects, such as the transformation into a vampire or squirting blood that was just as bad, if not worse, than the CGI we saw a few years ago in I Am Legend. It just didn't mesh well with the reality of it and almost made you laugh it was so poorly done. The 3D aspect wasn't really needed here. There were a few gimmicky moments for it during the more climatic scenes, but most of the film didn't need it. I will admit that it adds a nice depth to a scene, but still not worth the extra money.

So, while I didn't totally hate it... I didn't totally love it either. I will say that I enjoyed certain moments of it, but overall it was one of the countless classic films that should have been left alone because the original still hasn't gone out of style yet.

Well security is a little lax since everybody got their throat torn out.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
1 July 2012

Fright Night is directed by Craig Gillespie and written by Tom Holland. It stars Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Imogen Poots and Toni Collette. Music is by Ramin Djawadi and cinematography by Javier Aguirresarobe. Film is a remake of the 1985 film of the same name, also written by Tom Holland, it sees Yelchin as Charley Brewster, a teenager living in a suburb of Las Vegas who finds the new handsome neighbour, Jerry Dandridge (Farrell) is actually a blood sucking vampire. With nobody believing him and the vampire homing in on his mother and girlfriend, Charley turns to enigmatic playboy magician Peter Vincent (Tennant) for help.

Ah remakes, a word that often spells trouble in film fan circles, especially when populated by the horror faithful. So no surprise, then, that Fright Night has been met with much division whilst hardly making waves at the box office (it made a small profit when various costs wee taken of the gross). Yet it did receive some favourable reviews in critic's offices, where like myself they feel that this more than lives up to the original, which was fun and scary but hardly what you call a horror comedy masterpiece. I often have my rose tinted spectacles on for the likes of the 85 Fright Night, but whether we choose to accept it or not, they were real fun films back then, but because they were viewed through younger eyes. Now when viewing in the haze of nostalgia, it's not hard to see why some modern film makers feel a remake is possible and can work; Fright Night is one such case.

This is no masterpiece either, it drags for the first third and the CG malarkey really doesn't offer anything particularly worthy to the film's substance. In fact the transformation sequences are quite frankly, weak. You don't have to be a nostalgist to lament the absence of a Bottin or Baker. But for all its little missteps, it still rounds out as great fun and scores high in the last third with the well blended mix of comedy, suspense and terror. The dialogue, too, is very enjoyable, with many lines bringing the chuckles. The casting is very good, particularly with the core three characters of Charley, Jerry and Peter. It's great to see Farrell having such fun, free of emotional character restraints, he just lets rip with a sexy and vengeful performance. Yelchin is just so likable, a rising blockbuster star after turns in Star Trek and Terminator Salvation, here he crafts top work as Charley shifts from geeky teen into babe magnet bravado. While Tennant slots in and steals the movie with a glorious excess of profanity, sexuality and witticisms that befit the nature of the piece.

Next up Farrell is going serious and threatening to run the wrath of sci-fi fans with his star turn in the Total Recall remake. He comes out of this horror remake, like the film in general, with good credit. So those 80s teens like me, should shake off the dust and strap themselves in to a seat for this particular ride. It may not surpass the original, but it is every bit its modern equal. And that is something that newcomers to the Fright Night world should hopefully rejoice in. 7/10

Poor remake lacks the "bite" of the original...CGI is at its worst...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
28 December 2011

FRIGHT NIGHT has two saving graces: Anton Yelchin, who plays Charlie Brewster with the right mix of humor and a good grip on his character, and David Tennant who plays the TV vampire destroyer with a good deal of cultivated arrogance and outlandish attitudes.

Beyond these performances, the rest of the film is only mildly successful in the casting. Colin Farrell is a disappointment in the role that Chris Sarandon played to perfection as the original "vampire next door" type with a lot more sexual heat than Colin exhibits in an underplayed style. And even back in 1985, the special effects were a lot more horrifying than those employed here which represent CGI at its worst.

But most of all, the entire script has made drastic changes in the story that "for better or worse" are strictly for the worse. Fans of the original film will hardly recognize what has been done to the story, much less the characters.

However, Toni Collette as Brewster's mother and Imogen Poots as his pretty girl friend are excellent, given what material they have to work with, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse gets some comic relief from the Evil Ed character that he becomes after "the bite." In this case, his Evil Ed is much less effective than the one in the original film.

So many of the key scenes are played in virtual darkness, making it impossible to see what is actually going on at important moments in the action sequences. This is way below standard for a horror film that is supposed to be scaring the audience realistically.

Summing up: A waste of time and money. See the original and you'll understand why I lack enthusiasm for this remake which attempts to be stylish and cool and full of rough language.

Pointless, soulless, dumb, not thrilling, not scary

Author: the_wolf_imdb from Prague
15 October 2011

I have not seen the original, only the remake so I cannot judge the quality of original nor quality of the remake. The movie itself feels like "afternoon teen movie for MTV generation" - lots of "dudes", lots of shots of Las Vegas, total lack of logic or sense, no thrills at all, no horror at all.

The Underworld series was stupid but at least it had some depth, cool costumes and some cool fights. This movie feels like cheap rip off of the Disturbia combined with the most stupid vampire move you can ever imagine. Plus some action at the end so we do not leave the cinema too early.

I'm somewhat horrified that anyone could actually like it. The two first Blade movies were really good and the John Carpenters Vampires was really great. So Americans actually can make really good vampire movies - but this one is definitely not the case. What the hell, even Salem's Lot was better, more clever and more scary! In Blade there were cool vampires, there was depth, mystery, war between clans and between vampires and humans.

In here we have lousy neighborhood, one not particularly bright paranoid teenager, two not particularly bright blondes, one confused nerd, several "dudes" and one vampire which is not normal vampire, he is "almost unkillable killing machine" but actually behaves like another "dude". There is nothing important going on, everything that happens is more or less somewhat escalated neighbor conflict completely ignored by anyone else in the vicinity.

What a lousy movie. This is one of the worst vampire movies I have ever seen and definitely the most dumb one. Total disappointment.