IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

At least it's wasn't scene from scene remake,and Yet they still ended up with a messy remake!c

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
11 June 2014

Fright Night (2011)

I am finally seen this movie, it take me while to see this movie, (With out sounding like broke record,I not keen on Vamp movies, however Oringal Fright Night.

Is one of few Vamps movies that I actually really like, The only one main reason I actually watch this was because David Tennant , I was fan of him, when in was Doctor Who, I was gutted when left role.

Back to this movie, I liked some parts but disliked more. I start with good point first,

I clad it wasn't just another scene from scene remake, I liked how story was some-what different from first, I liked the fact his girlfriend and Mum were involved.

What I did not like was that, are really meant to care for Charley. who was Ass to Friend at the start.

Why you make lead person in the movie the most hated person in the movie, who would care, I didn't not.

The script in this movie was really bad in some places, I could not believe some of thing they come out with.

The worst thing in this movie was the effect, I hated, the vampire dissolving, I liked old fashion deaths.

The acting wasn't all that great but not saying really bad either, it was decent at best, in parts of the movie.

4 out of 10

This movie sucks

Author: dvorkinax
9 May 2014

I cannot believe this movie got any positive reviews. I am a fan of the original and it's sequel , and other movies like "My Best Friend is a Vampire." I couldn't watch this trash scene for scene but the parts I caught were plain ridiculous, from the part where Jerry pulls the gas line in the yard and then blows their fireplace up to the idiotic car chase scene. Too many special effects that appear to be CGI(of course.) Don't even get me started on the stupid ending(once again crappy CGI.)

There is zero sensuality and seduction in this remake. The dance scene in the original, at the club, with that sexy song playing in the background, as Dandrige pulls Amy near to him and Charlie is helpless as he watches. That wonderful scene of Dandrige and Amy on the floor when he releases the strap around her neck, as it falls down, he bites her, with "Come to Me" playing, the blood trickling down her neck. Come on now, I know many of you people out there have fantasized about those scenes. They were titillating. None of that in the remake. Are you kidding me? Did any of you leave this movie feeling thrilled?

All the actors sucked. Wrongly casted movie. Could they have picked more boring and lifeless actors?

Some movies do not need updating.

Btw, I know people think the original Fright Night II wasn't as good but I liked it quite a bit. Those scary vampire roller skates and that scene where Dandrige's sister makes Charlie choose to bite his girl friend's neck and his eyes turn color. That was hot.

Seriously?

Author: accosta77 from United States
14 July 2012

Yes my dear movies fans, another BAD remake! Can you believe that someone will see an old movie, analyze, convince producers, sponsors...and with all of it, make a worse movie. I really understand movie language changes. Many movies where people got lost for being unable to read a map? It would be stupid to be filmed today when people have cell phones, GPS, I-pods,many other stuff. This one is stupid. The original was so much better despite the fact that it was too about vampires. This remake is boring, cliché and looks like something is missing. There are not enough good movies out there to horror movies fans, but this remake explains why.

Frightful...

Author: poe426 from USA
14 February 2013

The original FRIGHT NIGHT, while no great shakes by any stretch of the imagination, was at least mildly entertaining. The idea of a late night horror host being recruited to help a young fan battle the vampire who's moved in next door, was a good one; the execution, however, left more than a little to be desired. This remake doesn't even have the virtue of being original- and in execution makes the original look like a masterpiece. When the fullest extent of a filmmaker's storytelling ability has to do solely with the technical execution of an fx shot or a slick, television-commercial-like moment or two (while the "story" being told comes across as disjointed, at best), you end up with something like this. Anyone who thinks that this is a film worth the time it takes to wade through it has far too much time on their hands.

Absolutely horrible

Author: RealTyche from United States
12 September 2012

This review contains spoilers. Do not read on if you wish to avoid them.

As a long time, cheering fan of the original Fright Night, which I saw in 1985 with a girlfriend, I was hoping that this remake would capture at least the essence of the original and bring back memories of a better time. It failed on both counts.

I found this movie pretentious, and obnoxious in an apparent attempt to disregard everything that the original feature had going for it except the character names. It struck me as a movie that looked at the source material and decided they could 'do it better', tossing out *everything* that made the original so memorable. Jerry Dandridge is supposed to be suave and debonair, always carrying a hint of malice. The new one is the sort of vampire that stands on the street corner and hisses, his motivations in this film make no sense whatsoever. Charley, whom in the original was a bit of a bumbling nerd with a heart of gold, is in the remake a clueless twit that isn't even the one to realize Dandridge is a vampire. And why on earth does Mom suddenly become an action heroine? The one concession to this movie I do make is David Tennant, whom has perfect comedic timing.

Please don't bother with this one if you've seen and loved the original. it's not worth the time to watch it.

Not much Fright For my Night

Author: blandiefam from United States
31 December 2011

I had high hopes for this movie and I ran home from the Red Box to watch it. I had glorious memories of being in my 20's and seeing this movie with my fiancé. Now my wife of 26 years, I was grasping for touches of the old thriller which made her cling to me until the end of the original Fright Night. Instead, I got a not fully developed hurry up version. It lacked any of the newness the original had. Ferrel seemed as if he was phoning in his performance and the development of the characters was abandoned as if the director left it up to the original version to be our platform. I'm not too sure why they decided the success of the 80's version could be out done by a synopsized poorly developed watered down version. I believe if they stuck with the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" theme, they would have had as much box office success as the original did.This a definitely a missed opportunity. By the way, what's up with the Evil Ed rewrite and the creepy associate?

what a load of bull plop

Author: melucy_rox
20 September 2011

Now I am not going to pretend that this I am a film critic, though i would just like to say that i feel i have just wasted my time and money on this BAD, terrible, awful movie. It is 2hours of clichés where i felt the only exciting bit in the entire movies was the previews.

The acting was okay, nothing extraordinary possibly with the exception of David Tennant who was the only intentionally funny character in the entire movie. The fact that it was YET ANOTHER 3D movie probably didn't help it at all, and the CGI was sub-par and its YET ANOTHER disappointing 2011 movie.

Save your time and hard earned money guys, if you would like to see it wait for the DVD.

Only okay.

Author: VWstarwars from United States
15 September 2011

Yeah, I gotta' give it a one because a 6.9 is way too high for this movie and I want my vote to count. Really and honestly this movie is only mediocre at best. It is no where near as good or interesting as the original "Fright Night," which was one damn good and fun movie. This remake's lackluster performance at the bock office is just another example of audiences really displaying what they want and don't want . . . Remakes being something that horror film fans are burned the "F" out on!!! Get this Hollywood, Please!!! The ORIGINAL "Fright Night" was a hit, made more money, not in 3D and with 1985 ticket prices. This should make your realize something as well, because it was ORIGINAL. All of the talk about how the 1985 film was a commentary on vampire horror in the mid-80's, which was almost non-existent at that point, and your new version being a commentary on the current swamp of boring, rip-off vampire titles should also tell you that coming out with another, cheap rip-off is a mistake! We've heard all the "We're updating for modern audiences" garbage until we want to vomit!!! Or "We're improving" because no, you are not making better movies when you do this! CGI effects are not that great and do not save or make better films. What we keep getting are vapid rehashes directed by someone who really wants to direct something else.

All and all . . . wait for video here.

Silly

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 January 2012

Confession: this viewer has not seen the original 1985 version of FRIGHT NIGHT and is not a fan of the interminable line of vampire movies that flood the screens year after year. So why watch FRIGHT NIGHT 2011? Seeing the names of fine actors such as Colin Farrell, Toni Colette, +/- Anton Yelchin suggested this might not be a bad movie if those actors committed to it. And perhaps it is partly due to the fact that lack of exposure to this genre creates the problem of deciding why some people find these films funny while other find them frightening. So, preface over. Given the virginal approach to this vampire film, this viewer finds it silly, poorly written, self indulgent - and an unexplainable waste to talent.

Tom Holland is recycled by Marti Nixon and the updated Las Vegas suburb community form is handed to director Craig Gillespie. The 'plot' centers on the presence of one Jerry (Colin Farrell, subtle acting at first and then falls apart) as the resident vampire next door to Century 1 Realtor Jane Brewster (Toni Collette) and her nerdy son Charley (Anton Yelchin). Charley's equally nerdy friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) is convinced that Jerry is a vampire and carries crosses and stakes etc in preparation for meeting him (an early taste treat for Jerry, Ed becomes a ridiculously distorted mad man). The two lads are mocked by fellow classmates Mark (Dave Franco, brother of James Franco) and Ben (Reid Ewing) and teased by the very beautiful Amy (Imogen Poots). Kids go missing and soon Charley becomes a believer and form there on out it is a detective game to rout out Jerry. Charley, once convinced that Jerry is indeed a vampire, seeks guidance from the alcoholic scare-showman Peter Vincent (David Tennant) who has secrets of his own. Of course it is evident that it will turn out just fine, but getting there (to the end) is a tedious bore. The musical score is by Ramin Djawadi and the cinematography (thankfully mostly in the after hours dark vampires so need) is by Javier Aguirresarobe.

Perhaps this is funny to some and perhaps it is frightening to others: after all there is a faithful cult of addicts who run to the theaters whenever one of these vampire flicks is released. It is an acquire taste....

Grady Harp

A movie that when compared to the original is no where near as good. If you haven't seen original you may like this. I say C-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
1 November 2011

"There's a lot of bad people out there, Charlie. Everyone's gotta look after their own business." Charile (Yelchin) has a new neighbor named Jerry (Farrell) who Charlie thinks is a vampire. Trying to convince his mom and girlfriend isn't as easy as he thinks, and it could wind up biting him if they don't realize it soon. This is a tough movie for me to review. I saw the original for the first time a few days ago and was really looking forward to this one. Comparing the two...this one sucked. Bad. The original, while very cheesy was still more interesting and much more tense then this one. Without trying to give anything away, the "mystery" of is Jerry a vampire is drug out in the first one. This one shows Jerry biting someone in the first scene he is in. The Ed character in the original was very over the top and watching it I though how great the choice of "McLovin" to play him was. He was entirely wasted in this movie and would have been better if both he and the Peter Vincent character were just left out. All that said if you haven't seen the original you may like this one. But for me this is another remake that didn't need to be made. Overall, a movie that when compared to the original is not as good at all. I give it a C-

*Also try - Fright Night (original) & Let Me In