IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 25: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A Nutshell Review: Fright Night

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
7 October 2011

It's probably an understatement that Hollywood is fast running out of ideas with its glut of costumed heroes making the leap from comic books to the silver screen, and slew of remakes and reboots that are happening in assembly line fashion. When I first heard that Fright Night, one of the very few horror films that I had dared to watch and enjoy tremendously, was going to be given a makeover, my initial reaction was there goes another childhood memory which will get butchered badly. But my fears were quite unfounded, as this update actually turned out to be rather enjoyable.

There were specific moments in the original film that had stuck in my mind, such as how the vampire mocks the protagonist who had stuck a crucifix in his face, and being rebuked that it doesn't work if one doesn't have faith. Moments that were as classic as this one got incorporated into the film in a slightly different scenario, which made it a pleasant easter egg each time fans get to spot something the survived the remake.

Directed by Craig Gillespie whose pedigree is as varied as Lars and the Real Girl and Mr Woodcock, Fright Night started off quite wobbly when it tried to establish its characters, jumping directly into the fray with Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) being too cool for his geeky best friend Ed (Christopher Mintz-Plasse in a stereotypical role) who suspects that Charley's new neighbor Jerry (Colin Farrell) is actually a vampire responsible for the many mysterious disappearances and deaths of their satellite town. Added into the female quotient for any vampire film, because sinking one's fangs into a long female neck is always deemed as sexy, are Toni Collette as Charley's mom who develops a crush on Jerry, as well as Imogen Poots who plays Charley's hot girlfriend Amy.

It's the excellent visual effects that made this version of Fright Night work, while balancing a fairly engaging story with a light dose of comedy that made this a walk down memory lane of many past horror comedies that entertained without being too campy or silly. You can just about tell the deliberate attempts at 3D as well which centered mostly around blood splattering on screen, and for those donning the 3D glasses, blood splattering toward you by the bucketloads. And let's not forget its technical strengths as well, where a scene that will jump out and scream for your attention revolves literally around a car interior in one continuous, lengthy shot that serves as the highlight of the film for its intensity.

David Tennant may add some unintentional comedic flair to his vampire slayer Peter Vincent character, but it is clearly the nemesis played by Colin Farrell which took the cake and stole everyone's thunder for his cool as cat portrayal of the undead. While the film became sort of an instructional manual on how to get rid of one in the final act, relying upon a number of artifacts both common and uncommon, Farrell plays the vampire with that perfect twinkle in the eye, with the screenplay by Marti Noxon kept close to classic vampire lore, such as the need to get invited to a home before a vampire can enter, steering clear of the recent Twilight nonsensical re-inventiveness of bloodsuckers who can survive in daylight, broods a lot and would rather start a family than to maintain an advantageous swinging single status. And that my friends, is what makes vampire films appealing, not metrosexual pretty boys with emotional issues.

At its core the story's about a guy who has to once again turn toward and recognize his inner geekdom despite desperate and fairly successful attempts to have steered away from it, but ultimately has to look inward for strength to accomplish what would be impossible without a wealth of knowledge. Revenge of the nerd this is, and an entertaining, funny romp this updated Fright Night had turned out to be. Recommended!

Bring toilet paper for your EYES

Author: Big D from United States
2 September 2011

What a waste. Fans of the original BEWARE. The decisions of the filmmakers to lift lines, plot devices and general little things from the original, is totally unmotivated, and downright "lame." The "it" word of the moment, "really", is uttered at least 4 times, ad nausea, in an attempt to keep the dialogue fresh. Bad. Gillepsie, the director, should stick to TV. Toni Colette is a bona fide talent but is disposable in this useless role. Their are so many things wrong with this film, I refuse to carry on writing this review, so in a nutshell- RE-WATCH the original, unless spending money on trite, overblown, BORING dribble like this is your thing. On the plus side, Colin Farrel does call all his young male co-stars "guy."

New "Fright Night" Lacks Bite

Author: slasherstudios from United States
29 August 2011

Going into the remake of "Fright Night", I was a bit apprehensive. The original is my favorite vampire film of all time and I just felt that deep down they were going to find some way to mess up the remake. Then the trailers came in (everything looked solid, if a bit underwhelming), then the reviews came in (75% is just about perfect for a horror film), and then the reaction from fans came in—They didn't mess it up! I couldn't wait to watch the remake. I sat down in my seat eager for the movie to start as I put on my 3D glasses and was ready for the wild vampire ride to begin.

The film starts quite promising. We are given a skyline shot of houses in the suburb. The kind of suburb where everyone owns the same car, the same house, and the same two kids. And then BAM, three killings before the opening credits can even hit the screen. I was ready! This is going to be the remake to end all remakes! Sadly, it was not to be. The plot is generally the same as the original with a few small changes. Teenager Charley Brewster guesses that his new neighbor Jerry Dandrige is a vampire responsible for a string of recent deaths. When no one he knows believes him, he enlists Peter Vincent, a self proclaimed vampire killer and Las Vegas magician, to help him take down Jerry.

What doesn't work about this movie? Well, aside from a few stylish touches…pretty much everything. Gone is the old, charming horror host Peter Vincent and in is a Midori chugging whorish magician. Ugh. Gone is the beautiful shot and exciting club scene in which Jerry seduces Charley's girlfriend Amy (it's here, but the less said about the "new" version of this scene the better). Gone is Jerry's homo-erotic relationship with his best "friend"/roommate. Hell, that character isn't even IN this film. What's added? Awful CGI (Amy's vampire scene with Charley is incredibly lame and doesn't look half as good as it did in the TWENTY FIVE year old original) and a final battle scene that belongs more to "Underworld" than it does to the "Fright Night" legacy. That being said, It's worth a rental at least. The movie wasn't so much bad as it was incredibly disappointing. I felt there was so much more they could have done with the premise. What a waste.

Fright Night (2011)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
7 January 2012

The original for me has no nostalgic value, as I only saw it a few months ago. But I absolutely adored it. This remake does exactly what I want from a remake. It keeps the core components, but makes enough changes to make it a different movie. The little changes make all the difference, and although I preferred everything in the original, this is a different film that I will check out again. Yelchin plays the lead role of a young man that eventually finds out his neighbour is a vampire. Farrell is the charming, sexy, and sinister vampire named Jerry. The tension heightens, but never as much as the original. I loved Farrell's portrayal, where he was truly threatening without ever really trying. However, he was also inexplicably aggressive. I'd imagine vampires would try and keep their heads down, but here Farrell doesn't exactly try and hide his vampiristic tendencies. He'll kill people in the street, or blow up a house. Tennant is a scene stealer as Peter Vincent, a clever update from his predecessor, but with some needless backstory. Tennant is the archetypal fake hero, that claims to be a slayer of the occult. But when his chance to prove his heroism comes to fruition, will he rise to the challenge? The humour and horror are well mixed together, with some scenes being particularly shocking, which is a great compliment for such a worn genre. It is also a very exciting action films at time. The car chase scene, shot in one continuous take is exhilarating and has a nice cameo too. Sometimes it has too much CGI, and more plot holes than I feel comfortable with. Nevertheless, this is a great entertaining film, with a sinister but not to serious vibe.

A remake that was worth watching, for a change...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
26 November 2011

Initially I had some restrictions against watching this movie, as I was rather fond of the original, plus Hollywood remakes of older movies tend not be worthwhile watching.

However, this 2011 remake of "Fright Night" was actually surprisingly nice. It held true to the original movie, but still went one step beyond, instead of just being an updated frame-by-frame remodeling. This version was everything the old movie was and then some.

The cast in the movie was actually quite good. One of the initial reservations I had against the movie was Colin Farrell (playing Jerry the vampire), but hand on heart, then he was actually amazing in this role. It was like he was tailor-made for this particular role and he did a great job. Now, I am not saying that Anton Yelchin (playing Charlie) was bad, far from it, but I enjoyed William Ragsdale (playing Charlie in the 1985 version) better. In this 2011 version they totally set up a whole new Peter Vincent (played by David Tennant), though I preferred Roddy McDowall who played Vincent in the 1985 version. There was just something more fun and charming over him. However, the way that the 2011 Peter Vincent was portrayed was good, especially with his background story.

There was one really, really cool scene in the movie. And without saying too much, then I will say that fans of the 1985 version will get a kick out of seeing Chris Sarandon making a return to the movie.

The effects in the movie were great, and the vampires did look nice too.

"Fright Night" (2011) is a movie that can be thoroughly enjoyed by movie watchers both familiar with the old "Fright Night" movies and new-comers to the series as well. Lots of action, good effects and a great story. And it is also nice if you are tired of watching vampires with sparkling skin and sickening large hair styles.

I was thoroughly entertained and I think for a remake, then they actually took the 1985 version and gave it a very nice boost in the right direction. So thumbs up for this remake. Finally a Hollywood remake that was worth watching.

Great way to destroy everything good about the original

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
23 March 2015

The original FRIGHT NIGHT is a fun '80s popcorn flick, ably mixing comedy and horror like the best of '80s genre fare. This 2011 remake is so lame, so predictable, so forgettable in every respect that I wish I hadn't bothered watching it. The plot sticks EXTREMELY closely to the original film, so it's asking for comparisons. But the script for this one is dumb in the extreme: we're saddled with a scriptwriter who seems to think that swearing is funny and that dumb humour is the order of the day. Hell, we're stuck with Christopher Mintz-Plasse in it, for God's sake!

Needless to say this is a failure in every respect, with every action scene, every scenario, every fight, well telegraphed in advance. I turned around at the outset and said "wait for the CGI explosions and people being thrown around" and sure enough all of these things happened as I predicted. About the best thing in it is the Chris Sarandon cameo, that lasts about 30 seconds.

This has one of the worst casts I can think of. Colin Farrell's heart simply isn't in it, and he makes no effort to be imposing. Anton Yelchin is a charisma-free hero and the less I see of Toni Collette, playing his mother, the better. Imogen Poots is as lovely as ever but has little to do here other than look pretty, and the less said about David Tennant's cringe-worthy, Russell Brand wannabe the better. The FRIGHT NIGHT remake is only worth watching if you enjoy rubbishy CGI vampires over the remarkable prosthetics effects of the original.

Disappointingly Sexist

Author: Ren C. from United States
13 July 2014

I really, really wanted to like this film. I like horror films, I like comedy horror films, I like both Yelchin and Tennant. I was really looking forward to seeing this. I did think some of it was funny, and I enjoyed David Tennant quite a bit. But it's pretty hard to like something that is kind of insulting you. There is some pretty weird, unnecessary disrespect for women going on here. Two quick examples to give you an idea of how the movie views women:

They felt the need to have the Mom explain (out of nowhere) that she was worth talking to because, direct quote, "I'm your mom, not some ridiculous woman--". ...yeah.

Then, even when the girlfriend gets to kick butt for two seconds, she is immediately referred to as a bimbo, for no discernible reason (other than she is attractive? I think?).

Since the sexism is not super overt, I think guys could probably enjoy this movie fine without really noticing it. So, congrats, because I really wanted to enjoy it too. But if you are a person with lady-bits who cares about being viewed as equal to people with man-bits, don't bother watching it. The fun/funny scenes are just not good enough to make up for the sexism. Sorry.

Not my full cup of tea, but still...

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
15 November 2012

I have not seen the original from the 1980ies and vampire stuff is not totally for me, but the names Colin Farrell and Anton Yelchin did invite me to spend this 1 hour 40 minutes among zombie-like vampires and stuff related to their extermination. I was right about the two above mentioned actors, they are really great, but the plot, directing and another actors (well, Tony Collette had too small part to play, she is usually brilliant) were just above average. There was some kind of tension, but some illogical events and peculiar turns gave the movie shallow undertones. I assume it must be okay for those fond of vampire sagas but when the credits appeared I just shrugged my shoulders - without a desire to see the first movie and to compare.

It's Firght Night.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
18 October 2012

Belated Day 15 Of My 31 Days Of Horror.

This remake of the 1985 classic basically has the same plot as the original. A Boy played by Anton Yelchin notices his neighbor Jerry played by Colin Farrel is a vampire.

I am sorry that I cannot produce a lot of long reviews but the films I am reviewing just do not have a lot to talk about. This film has a good retelling of the original and cutthroat performances.

Rated R For Bloody Horror Violence, And Language Including Sexual References.

1hr 46min/106min.

48 uses of the F-word.

***1/2/****

Good Vampire film

Author: marilyncolgan from Attleborough, England
18 September 2012

This was a very enjoyable film, but unfortunately for us we watched it on the t.v. and because it was filmed in 3D it didn't help us to watch it because a lot of it was in the dark. We loved both British actors in their parts. Colin Farrel who is Irish and David Tennent who was Doctor Who for a while. Would totally recommend the film to anybody who likes these kind of films. We knew it was a remake but we hadn't seen the original so we had nothing to compare it to. We have seen lots of other vampire films such as Salem Lot, The Lost Boys which I have just bought on DVD,all of the Twilight films and have the books too. This film compares favorably with all the other vampire films we have seen.