IMDb > Fright Night (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fright Night

Fright Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Vampires and this movie both suck

Author: brefane from United States
24 August 2011

Dull, pointless, and charmless remake of a good-natured, mildly amusing film from the '80s. The 2011 Fright Night aims low and misses. The 3-D, featuring spattered blood, shattered glass and sparks, is more distracting than necessary. Jerry, the vampire-next-door, is not an original or distinctive adversary despite Farrell's appeal. Jerry does little to hide his unnatural existence, doesn't put his supernatural powers to any real use, and there is only a sketchy explanation of how this creature lives and dies. Plot points never amount to anything, the editing is often confusing, and the actions and reactions of the characters aren't convincing. Why doesn't the nerd attack his former tormentors with his vampiric powers? Why doesn't the family call the police when the vampire begins tearing up their yard? Virtually every character was shown using a wireless device in the first 15 minutes of the film. And why drive pointlessly into the desert to escape, and then call 911 at a place where you can't get service!? You may also wonder why a vampire would move into a neighborhood with houses one right next to the other. Long, noisy, fiery battles with creatures coming out of the earth are apparently ignored by neighbors who live within a stone's throw; the police and firefighters never show. The leads are dreary and flat, and since nearly everyone is clueless there's nothing at stake.

Fright Night's back!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
24 August 2011

Once again, Hollywood is running out ideas and it's Fright's Night's turn for the remake. Fright Night is a huge cult classic that I'm sure was expected to flop, instead turned into a pleasant surprise. It's a fun film that came out of the 80's and is a classic treasure; it's like Rear Window with vampires. I didn't see the film until a few years ago, not sure how I missed it, I guess The Lost Boys was my vampire film of the 80's. But I loved the film and its clever mix of horror and humor. Plus it has a great cast, fun effects and a cool story. To remake it, again, everyone gets upset at first but from the trailer the film actually looked pretty good. I saw this opening day looking forward to seeing a reboot and while it's certainly flawed, this is actually a pretty decent remake.

Charley Brewster is a teenager who discovers he has a new neighbor moving in next door to him. Charley's geeky ex-friend, Ed, tells him that many fellow students have gone missing. Charley disregards this, but talks him into coming to an old friend's house to check if he's alright.When Charley goes home after school, his mother introduces him to Jerry, who is the new neighbor. Charley meets up with Ed who informs him that his new neighbor is a vampire, Charley doesn't believe Ed and leaves. On his way home Ed is confronted by Jerry who convinces him to become a vampire and bites him. The next day Charley realizes that Ed is missing and decides to go to his house to investigate. As Jerry begins to attack more people throughout the neighborhood, Charley goes into Jerry's house and finds out that he is keeping all of his victims in secret rooms. Charley decides to go to Las Vegas magician Peter Vincent, a supposed expert on vampires and hope to destroy Jerry before he gets to his mother and beautiful girlfriend.

Colin Ferrel, what can I say? Who could have been a more perfect choice? After his stint in rehab, I'm sure he more than enjoyed getting back into playing the bad boy. His Jerry may not have the exact same charm as Chris Sarandon, but you can tell he had a lot of fun and brought a lot to the character. However I wasn't as excited on the choice for Charlie, Anton Yelchin, who was actually kind of boring in my opinion. You can tell he tries but I don't think he had the best lines to work with. Now David Tennant who replaces Roddy McDowall was actually a decent replacement almost like a Cris Angel character, but honestly, even if I get hate for this comment, I think I would have loved to see Russell Brand in this role if they were going for that direction.

There are a few disappointments with the film like not having the same chemistry that the original Charlie and Peter had, it seems like their relationship is more rushed in the remake and not like they really belong together. Also, since the film does take itself seriously as if we are supposed to buy that this is happening in our real world, how is it that there is absolutely no police investigation when people are missing? I mean, they say that people pass through Vegas and are never heard from again, but an entire family is missing and nothing is questioned? Also I was upset with the lack of Ed, I loved the plot change with him, but we didn't have enough Ed which Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays pretty well. The script may need work however; I still had fun watching the action and special effects. Though I don't think that the 3D was exactly needed for the film, they stuck to the original look to the vampires which I'm glad they did. But please, no more Twilight references, let's just try to forget those books or movies ever existed. Before I end the comment since I'm running out of room here, doesn't the poster remind you of No Country for Old Men? Maybe it's just me… no, it's not me, they copied the poster. But I enjoyed the film, I'm pretty sure those who loved the original will get a good kick out of the remake. Its fun, stylish, sexy and exactly the good time horror movie we needed this year.

Fright Night 2011

Author: doctorsmoothlove from United States
11 September 2011

Fast-forwarding to 2011, both slasher cycles have ended and vampires have risen from their graves into pop culture saturation. Tom Holland probably never envisioned a world where his nostalgia would be so relevant. Eighties worship, as unwarranted as it is, is huge right now, so making a new Fright Night as inevitable as it is unwarranted. The original movie was fueled by Holland's personal interest in updating his beloved genre and forced to be creative by its tight budget. Today, it's an enjoyable if underwhelming effort that's just good enough to not need to be remade.

So, is there any reason to watch the new Fright Night? For the majority of viewers, the answer is a terse "no." The seasoned movie-goer may find it another example of how to downgrade a superior film by placing it through the meat grinder of pedestrian production. The new film regurgitates the original's plot, adding unnecessary secondary characters while keeping the perfunctory subplots of the original. The flavorful parts of the original like Charlie's silent preliminary observations of Jerry have been streamlined into arriving at the action sooner. The movie feels cobbled together, the result of its poor editing, into a visual summary of its inspiration.

What results from this process is the kind of stale movie the original would have been had Holland not spiced up the screenplay. Writer Marti Noxon attempts to add some humor by including putrid pop cultural jabs at Twilight that have no place in the narrative. Seeing as this is a Dreamworks release, I guess should have expected them. And if that weren't lame enough, Noxon actually manages to completely destroy the original's subtext. Charlie begins the story as a geek-turned-average guy who must be emasculated by his too-hot-for-me girlfriend Amy. The rest of the film is his heteronormative redemption by putting Amy into her distressed place and kicking butt. Even Jerry has been updated as brusque Blade-like baddie. At least casting Colin Farrell gives the role, ironically like the first film, some unintentional charm. Farrell can poke fun at his playboy lifestyle nicely, if he only had a better screenplay… The original Fright Night's plot may have been followed though its humor wasn't. Unless you are homophobic, you aren't going to laugh very much. So, we have a redundant copy of an original that wasn't even that pleasant itself. Farrell gets a chuckle now and then, but only those people who refuse to watch older films will enjoy this one.

Not Recommended.

I don't get all the super positive reviews on here

Author: J Ritty from Canada
24 August 2011

while the film is entertaining for most parts (and yes tedious and clichéd in others...many others) it fails on many, many levels. The plot has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese and everything is awfully convenient in this this movie. Ferrell was entertaining as a vampire, Toni Collette was wasted and I liked David Tennant but hated his character. I thought of Russell Brand like a lot of people did when I fist saw him.

Spoiler alert

Three things I really had a problem with...

1. The fact that all these kids/people are missing and the cops don't seem to care. This was the worst of the plot holes to me.

2. I was really entertained up until the part where Ferrell rips the gas line out of the ground and blows up the house...the actions of everyone during that scene and in the car chase afterwards was awkward and silly to me and again the police don't notice the gas line dug out of the ground or investigate their house EXPLODING!? etc etc...

3. The pre credits sequence. Ending a movie well can really help a mediocre film out. If they can send you out smiling in a sense you'll be like "that was OK" instead of "that was crap"...they lost me right at the end during the scene in the loft. Also, the closing remake song was awful in my opinion.

Those are my main grips and honourable mention goes to, as someone else here put it: the constant "douche baggery" of our main character - that really stuck in my crawl...but he did kick ass at the end...

End of Spoilers

So while it was entertaining, it was NOT a well made movie. too many reason to list. If this were siskel & ebert, I'd be doing "thumbs down". I wouldn't even recommend a rental, this is straight cable fare.

Sin City's Night & Frightless

Author: thesar-2 from United States
12 December 2011

Look, listen. I defend a lot of remakes, redo's and reimaging films. Most are actually bad, some are priceless. The best thing I could say about 2011's Fright Night is: At least it's better than the pointless and horrid 1989 sequel. But…not by much.

PLEASE don't watch this movie if you're a fan of the 1985 original. Or, softer: for those Fright Night virgins, watch the first movie even if this might still work on a miniscule level. The only thing this movie had in common with the first movie was: A> the title. B> The Character's Names and C> There's a vampire living next door.

Those three qualities take about 1/1000th of the script. Fill in the blank with new, too serious material. I mean, the original was CAMP, pure and simple. A lot of comedy, some horror and fun. This one takes it too deadly serious, plus they added too much of the annoying "CW" atmosphere. That kiddie, 90210, trend is really starting to get on my nerves. It's not working for people my age, and according to the box office receipts, it's not working for the teen crowd either. So, Hollywood, please dump this idea of bringing back classic horror to the "CW" absent movie-goers.

I haven't even got to the worse part of this movie: The reimagining of the great character, Peter Vincent, now played by a third-rate Russell Brand-Rip-off, David Tennant. He was absolutely awful. It would be in the same category as hiring Pauley Shore as James Bond. Of course, this is coming from some who loved the original Roddy McDowall version. But, besides that, for those who haven't even heard of the original, he was still incredibly lame.

This also goes for the quickly-turned "Evil Ed" character. I do like Christopher Mintz-Plasse, but he's certainly no Stephen Geoffreys from the 1985 film.

This movie's a mess. It had a great scene of the family being evicted by the neighbor vampire and their journey to the Las Vegas strip, but other than that, it's a complete waste of film. It took the original movie's idea (new neighbor is a vampire and kid-Charley Brewster must defend his girl and kill the monster with aid of vampire killer, Peter Vincent) to a new depth of boredom. There's only one Night that's Frightful. Watch that one and skip this atrocity.

Another weak remake

Author: Christopher Smith
29 February 2012

All that needs to be said about the remake of Fright Night is that it ends with a terrible cover of Jay-Z's already bad "99 Problems" blasting over the ending credits. This is a completely random song choice that belongs in another movie and is tonally out of nowhere, a feeling that permeates most of the picture's long 105-minute running time. The movie starts off like a typical teen horror movie, only slightly worse. The dialogue in the high school scenes is horribly inauthentic, feeling like an R-rated CW drama of "The Vampire Diaries" variety complete with the usual clichés of bullying jocks, super stereotyped nerds, and the aforementioned "hip" teen dialogue. When the second act kicks in, the movie heads in the direction of the comedy-horror hybrid it should have been going for all along. The only problem with this is that there is no real sense of tension as the blood is all CG and anyone who has seen the original knows what's coming long in advance. The Las Vegas setting sounds cool in theory, but it's never used in a way that adds to the proceedings. Despite having the very cool idea of having the remake set in Vegas, screenwriter Marti Noxon and director Craig Gillipse decide to keep almost all the basic story beats from the original movie instead of using the new setting to their advantage. The one change that is made that actually does work is the new interpretation of Peter Vincent, hilariously played by David Tennant. Tennant is the pulse that keep the film alive. His energy and dead-on comedic delivery almost give the remake a purpose to exist beyond making a buck off a cult classic. Other performances are okay, but Anton Yelchin is too old to being playing a high school kid and Imogeen Poots is given the girlfriend role that hasn't changed since the 80s. One thing that has changed since the 80s: there used to be original horror movies. 3/10

This Fright Night has fright, but lacks charm

Author: yeti_dude from United States
20 August 2011

Normally I am con 80's remake trend 100%, but Fright Night has Tom Holland on board the original writer and director of the first film unlike the sequel which had no input from Holland. That factor, the strong trailers, previews, and the positive reviews changed my tune on seeing the film.

Thus I threw down 23$ for me and my date and checked it out.

-What my first thought is that it takes some VERY unexpected turns from the original as well as from most vampire films made about a "dracula-type," so you will be in for a lot of surprises when seeing the film.

-The other thing is that Jerry (not named Dandrigde in the film, just Jerry) is quite different from our Danrige. He is about the least ambitious head vampire I've come across and seems purely bent on survival much less showing off ambiance in his surroundings. If Dandrige was white collar this Ferrel incarceration is blue collar to the bone. He's just a beer-guzzling, chick-nailin', wide-screen TV watching schmoe. And his house illustrates this with it's sparse set designs and unfinished interiors. Dandridge was a snob showing off his Reagan-ite values and high-end living: a collector of fine art and haughty furniture. Jerry Ferrel is just trying to get by. -No Evil Ed,just Ed man or Edward Lee as the teacher calls him during role call.Well boo to that, but it works for the most part. Ed is more of Charley's past life friend, since Charlie is a 'cool guy' now getting hot babes and hanging with the upper-crust of high school society. Ed represents Charley's geek past and *early spoilers* is the first investigator into the Jerry's tomfoolery. Ed wants to tell Charley, but Charely blows him off and doesn't return his calls. Odd, Charley doesn't own a cell phone, since Ed has to call Charley's house... So what does Ed do to get Charley to change his rejection tune? Threaten to send a video to the entire senior class that shows Charley LARPING with Ed and some other dweeb. *Major Spoiler* Ed does not last as long as the original in human form and could have used some development IMHO.

-Supporting characters are, I suppose, there to, uhhh, support, and are pretty much caricatures: the geeks, the socialites, the modern mom, the stripper, the pretty girl, and even Peter Vincent (demystified, jaded entertainer). They all revolve around Charley and Jerry, who are the more complex and colorful characters.

STRENGTHS:

-Easily, Jerry Ferrel's screen presence - I'm glad he is now playing an antagonist and can show his chops cuz he seems like a shady guy in private. I've already talked about how he is written and he executes it well while taunting and killin' innocent folk. He pulls off what a villain character portrayel is supposed to do - you want him to die!! And when I say die, I mean in excruciating pain for his arrogance and overall evil-dome in oppressing society with being deceitful and his abominable acts.

-Directing - this is really one suspenseful film and the scene architecture for this type of attempt is marvelous. I am glad they just didn't rely on technology in creature/gore effects and went for much more difficult aspect in shooting: creating tension. Eerily similar to Holland's work in Psycho II.

-Plotting. What can I say? The film keeps you guessing. If you know the original by heart, you're in for a lot of surprises. The story takes a lot of unexpected turns, and end up thinking 'how will they get out of this?' or 'how is this going to get back on track to the original's outline?' -Jump scenes. There's some great, don't-see-it-coming, dare I say 'frights' some of them involving the three-D quite well. I don't think the film wastes the three-D potential like many others and doesn't really distract from the film except for maybe one exception.

Weaknesses: -The bullying of non-evil Ed, it seemed very stereotypical and somewhat forced. Necessary? Not really. Ed could have used more screen time early on as well. Getting beat up for being on the wrong street? More like grade school than high school, especially in a newly developed suburban area.

-Certain instances of effects didn't work. Like at one point Jerry is lifting a van on his back like Supes and it doesn't look like it has weight at all or that he was connected to it - there were also some other effects involving cars that looked like unfinished CGI. But over-all the CGI isn't over-indulgent. Some of the fang-work was kinda obvious though.

-Peter Vincent's wife. Ugh, so much slapschticky dialog exchanged between the two. It's not bad acting. It's just lame comedy, but I am snob when it comes to this, however I thought it was hackey. Basically the two-some do 'can't get it up' exchanges and other such dated banter. Comic relief fodder that came up snake eyes.

-The relationship between Peter and Charley. I really didn't buy the comradery, so when their side-by-side fighting the vampire and getting' all jokey, you really don't feel the pay-off. I suppose this has to do with Vincent's not so great character-arc. I thought his transformation of going from skeptic to believer was sloppily handled, which is the aspect that puts the first one head-and-shoulders above this reboot.

So the reboot is, overall, a roller-coaster thrill-ride, not a charming film where you re-visit over and over because you love the characters (aka the original Fright Night), but it is an effective bumpy ride.

A crude landscape of plot errors with various fun parts

Author: mr_Goodbomb from United States
20 August 2011

I really wanted to enjoy this. I enjoyed the original, I liked the cast, I love David Tennant, and it seemed like it might have been treated with respect (it, the remake, showing respect for the original). That wasn't so much the case. I understand modernizing. But this was a bit much. The biggest issue, however, was plot devices that made zero sense. This is where the spoilers come in:

- Evil Eddie has been tracking the new neighbor and decides he's a vampire very early on. We get very little explanation as to why he thought this, until later we see he's been watching him since the day he moved in. WHY? Why would you be watching a man the day he moves into a new home, hiding behind things and videotaping him because you believe he's a vampire? There's such little explanation for this, it's difficult to digest. - The character is said to feed to victims like snacks, keeping them locked up in little crudely-constructed rooms in his house. Just before this explanation, we see him kill two kids in the street at dusk. Not bite, not drag inside, kill. Blood everywhere, leaves the car in the middle of the road, straight up murders them. - The key element here is the relationship between the protagonist and his girlfriend. For this, the Ed character is essentially little more than a motivator, no longer a key element, and the new ending dictates that Ed does not live until the last shot. In fact, he's pretty useless. Anyway, the girlfriend resists the vampire's allure very little. While she cries when bitten, she is an unsympathetic, unburdened vampire once turned. Why would should care is beyond reasoning.

Overall, the performances were fantastic, but the script seemed the it was thrown together in order to make a script for a half-hearted remake by someone who had only paid some attention while watching the original once, and knew enough about vampire myths to get by.

Predictably, it's in 3D (Hollywood's attempt at keeping independent film out of the box office, by making every summer blockbuster attempt in 3D). This is great in some regards because the camera movements are slower, more deliberate, and less fast-paced for the sake of being fast-paced. Performances are worried with more, and the shooting style is less thrown together. The down side is, most of the effects are digital (I'd venture to say almost all), so that the 3D elements on them can be controlled better. Great for people who love 3D, not great for people who have taste and enjoy actual, legitimate film (sorry 3D lovers, I mean no offense, it's mostly sarcasm).

All in all, if you like the actors, see it for them. If you like the original, you'll probably see it anyway, but don't expect much respect to be paid. If you like genuinely unnerving, fun horror films, look elsewhere.

A trifle affair

Author: Shiraz Akhtar from India
22 August 2011

I chose to watch this movie because it was in 3D despite having a few apprehensions. All I can say that a vampire without a story doesn't really mean anything. The other important question would be to ask what the hell was Toni Collette doing in this movie? She is too good an actor to be in a cheesy vampire flick. To be honest I am befuddled by the rating and the good reviews that the movie is getting. It was neither scary nor funny. Colin Farrell does look convincing as a vampire, but the standout performance is surely by David Tennant who made it possible for me to smile a few times. All in all the movie fails to deliver. I expected something a little better I guess. Anton Yelchin is a good actor and a budding star who tries hard to salvage a little out of the night. The night, however, was too predictable.

"Really?" "Seriously?" Drivel teen-talk of today

Author: calicocombs from United States
6 September 2011

Am I the only one who is noticing the "epic" overuse of saying "really" and "seriously" as though you've just heard the most f*****g shocking thing in the world? It's so overused in culture today that I throw up a little every time I hear it and this movie had an abundance. Also, any remake that has Jerry f'n Dandridge uttering the line "Do me a solid" should come with a free round of shock treatment so I can forget what the hell I just heard. Hey, thanks also for turning Peter Vincent, made famous by Roddy McDowall, into a carbon copy of Russel Brand. Jesus Christ people are getting dumber by the minute in Hollywood. Another pointless remake to capitalize on 3D technology, which will be forgotten in a few years time, along with this movie.

Page 2 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]