IMDb > Café (2011) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Café (V) More at IMDbPro »

finally something different

Author: alc402 from United States
3 November 2010

I watch tons of films of all sorts and time after time I am left feeling like 'I've seen this before'. That being the case, I had no idea what to expect from Cafe. To my surprise, this little indie flick turned out to be unlike anything I've ever seen. On the one hand, it is a slice of life--seeing the whole world in a Cafe setting with great entangled characters--strangers, friends and family. On the other hand, we are plunged into story about the game of life, questions about the ultimate nature of reality, free will and self-sacrifice. This film is both fun to watch and thought provoking to say the least. It demands audience participation and as the days go by since I saw it, I find it staying with me--which is more than i can say for 90+% of films out there. This is a film that will age well and I think a lot people will find it a refreshing and rewarding experience.

Sweet Movie

Author: info-190-798330 from Boulder CO
19 October 2011

If your willing to slow down the pace and go with this movie, your in for a sweet, thought provoking movie. If your an action movie goer, you may have a hard time staying engaged. Not a fault of the movie of course. The movie is based on the idea that everything in our so called reality is really an illusion. The thought provoking idea of what is real? Who created us and who pulls the strings? I once owned a café' called philosophers stone café' in which the same thought engaging ideas were tossed around with a cup of Joe everyday. Customers always said to me my café scene would make a great movie. Cafe' is close to that. Enjoy.

What if your life was virtual, and the guy in the corner was writing it?

Author: UncleTantra from Leiden, the Netherlands
14 October 2011

This is an Indie flick that I watched entirely because of its name. I sit and write in cafes, and so I figured it would appeal to me. I expected it to be quirky, and it was. What I didn't expect was for it to be quite as quirky as it is. The tagline for the film is "What if the world you lived in weren't real?" and that's basically what the film is about. The cafe's regulars go about their everyday lives and their petty dramas, every day, as do we all, but one day on the laptop of one of the regulars there appears the face of a young girl telling him that he doesn't really exist. He's just an avatar, living in a virtual world that she has created, just for the fun of creating it. Naturally, he doesn't quite believe this, but then events start happening in the cafe that cause him *to* believe it.

As such, this is a little movie that might appeal to those who tend to believe the same thing about reality, and their own lives. If you believe that someone or something else is writing the script of your life, and that you are little more than a bit player in someone or something else's drama (or comedy), this movie's for you. It's not great, and not nearly in the same league of quirky cafe-based stories as "Amelie," but it's entertaining, in a lightweight, fluffy sort of way.

If you wind up seeing it, come back and say in the comments section what you think the guy who sits in the corner every day writing in his notebook was really writing. I think it was the script for this film.

Ohhh. A perfect ensemble piece. IGNORE the IMDb storyline.

Author: Gladys_Pym from United Kingdom
8 January 2012

OK. Tomorrow, after I've slept, maybe I'll feel less than 10, but, tonight? OK, yeah, a big, resounding 10/10.

It's hard to seriously fit you gently into a world. This time it works just beautifully. OK. I just stopped watching it, and I'm a little be-alcoholled. BUT I am one of those who is really nervous about showing films you really like to those you love, and THIS one I surely will.

I'm reminded of Kevin Smith, in terms of the reality of an intimate, special world, without the - weirdness?

OK. Bottom line. I don't know what to compare this to. Yeah, Kevin Smith, but gentler. What have I loved that'll give ANYONE a clue? Little Miss Sunshine - Steelyard Blues - Blues Brothers - Driving Miss Daisy - The Remains of the Day. And so many, many more.

Check my reviews. I don't often give a recommendation.

This is one. Go for it.

(And I have NO IDEA what the IMDb storyline is talking about. I suspect it's another film :/ )

Modest, low budget, but fun, and sweet, and eventually effective

Author: secondtake from United States
7 December 2012

Cafe (2011)

A simple seeming story with a couple of otherworldly (computer reality) twists that gradually works on your sympathies and wins.

Except for a brief exterior giving the sense of place (West Philadelphia) and two or three other very minor exceptions, the entire movie is shot in a coffee shop. A surprisingly large cast of characters take on some significance. And the dreamy idealism of exactly those kinds of independent cafés permeates the movie. The ostensible driving force is the appearance now and then of a nasty guy who deals drugs and the reaction against him by others in the place and the police. But really the movie is more about character, and what makes character, and what makes some people good and whether that kind of goodness is real.

After awhile you also realize that one weird subplot--the appearance of a girl on a computer scree--is maybe the most important aspect of all. Because she helps redefine what reality is--not just the so-called reality of people's lives, but reality reality, ontologically. It's obviously too much to swallow, but just go with it, it's fun.

What holds it up most of all might just be the really solid acting from most of the main characters. And the sweetness the seems to permeate the movie through and through. It's low-budget but keeps it confident and well made anyway. It's a good excuse for hanging out with some nice people.

A Most Wonderful Movie!...

Author: kathiekim from michigan for now
26 May 2012

The most brilliant movie I have seen. It made me sob with heartwarming realization. You just need to know what you are watching. It IS life and everything in it. Not just what you ware watching but listen to what they say. There are a ton of wonderful messages in this beautiful movie. It is a little slow in the beginning and like I said... you need to know what it is you are watching. It's tricky and quirky but great!! A much better "American Beauty". I am having trouble putting into words what I am trying to say... An important movie to be seen especially these days. Makes you want to go out and LIVE! Life is what You make it!

reality is pretty cool after all

Author: babylon2911 from Duluth, Minn; United States
6 March 2013

A charming little indie film. Sweet & uplifting with great moral explorations gently offered while not being preachy or dogmatic in the least. Well written & performed by an ensemble cast in which Jennifer Love Hewitt fits perfectly without overshadowing the others who appear in their various vignettes which are then woven into the whole wonderful tapestry. Join their alternative reality located in a coffee shop serving a very eclectic customer base and come away with an appreciation for the beauty of our own reality. Relationships, love and surrounding it all: divine magic with so much thought provocation to engage the viewer's mind. There are so many twists, turns and surprises - try to see it fresh without reading too much about it ahead of time.

Much better than expected

Author: Johnny_Hing from United States
7 July 2012

The mood, setting, the assortment of highly interesting characters, and especially the interaction between those characters, are all superb. I suspect that those few folks who are giving this movie a bad rating are doing so based on the little girl who seems to be playing "God", or the "programmer" in a virtual world supposedly created by her. However, the rest of the movie was just so fascinating that I simply would not allow this "existentialism" theme (if that's what it was) to ruin it for me. Hence, I just chalked that relatively minor portion of the film up to "fantasy." I might have given this an even higher rating, if not for the ending, which left one wondering what happened with the writer and the "movie girl", as everyone else in the cafe had a happy ending. *SPOILER* Now that I think of it, the sitting-alone writer (who was observing all the patrons and employees while writing his blog) also happened to be the mysterious owner of the cafe... so perhaps the "fantasy" elements were a product of *his* imagination (not the little girl's) while writing? That might explain why he was still observing and writing at the very end, seemingly despondent, while all those he was observing were experiencing oneness and elation. Just a theory I had the day after watching... ETA: In one of the above reviews, UncleTantra seems to share the same conclusion in his last paragraph.

I would give this movie an infinite number of stars instead of 10

Author: Pam Schwetz from Chicago, IL, USA
3 November 2013

I really absolutely love this movie. It works on such a deep spiritual level. It is a must see movie. I highly recommend it. I just found it in my instant netflix streaming and found out that it was leaving soon so had to watch it before it left and so far have watched it three times in a row but had to stop to share it with others.I hope you get to see this movie and you get the message. Wonderfully eye opening perceptive profound phenomenal masterpiece. Great cast, great screen writing, great directing, great cinematography...I don't want to give anything away so don't know what else to say besides that I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it and it enlightens you as much as it did me.

Great Insight

Author: Mark Johnson from United States
13 October 2013

I am not sure why so many people are confused by this wonderful movie. Although this movie contains difficult measures we endure in our everyday lives, it also gives us some insight to the big question; what is the purpose of Life? This movie helps explain what God is. Also it helps us realize the only way to win the game of life, that is by completely giving of ourselves for others, not suicide. People create miracles all the time when they let go of their own problems and help others with their problems. The act of helping others creates joy for them and ourselves.

Do you know who the only character in the film that the rooster doesn't sound off when the door is opened? It's God.