IMDb > 13 Assassins (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jûsan-nin no shikaku

13 Assassins More at IMDbPro »Jûsan-nin no shikaku (original title)

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Quite a bloody affair

Author: dee.reid from United States
5 September 2011

Takashi Miike's "13 Assassins" is the Japanese gore maestro's first true epic film. The movie is bloody and incredibly realistic, yet there's also some elements of the supernatural thrown in for good measure. And did I mention that the film is incredibly bloody? The film's climax has to have set a record for the longest cinematic action sequence and the requisite body count to boot. Set in 1844 Japan during the Edo Period, the story concerns an assassination plot that basically amounts to a suicide mission: 13 samurai, under the leadership of Shinzaemon (Koji Yakusho), have been hired out to assassinate Lord Naritsugu (Goro Inagaki), a sadistic young Lord to the Tokugawa shogunate. The first half of the film, in what I could guess is a nod to Akira Kurosawa's epic "Seven Samurai" (1954), deals with the selection and recruitment of the men for this mission, and the second half of the film is basically an hour-long bloodbath. Miike's reputation was made around the world with the 1999 horror film "Audition." With his latest, it shows that he has indeed matured as a filmmaker and is definitely ready to take on hefty subject matter - the historical samurai epic. Although there's plenty of blood and guts here, Miike is more concerned with the reasons why these men are fighting and who they are exactly. Many of the samurai recruited by Shinzaemon are either too young or too old for this mission (and some are more developed than others, the film's only true weakness with such a significant cast), but they fight anyway because they believe that if Lord Naritsugu is elected to the shogunate council, it'll plunge the country into a civil war. So a great many things are at stake here, the most significant of which is the very future of the country. This is undoubtedly Miike's epic, his modern-day equivalent of Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai."

"13 Assassins" - 10/10

A modern masterpiece

Author: gvrypc from Greece
29 July 2011

Being a fan of Japanese culture and consequently Japanese cinema, I was surprised not to have seen any film by Takashi Miike prior to this. But that was possibly not too improbable, as Miike is notorious for his over-violent blood-stained movies that have a hardcore audience that indulges in extreme violence and perverted images. Truly, this film is violent and yes, blood flows aplenty during its 50-minute (!) battle sequence, but the merits of "13 assassins" far exceed the stylistic presentation of gore and extremity. The film is based on true events that took place 100 years prior to the Word War II. A veteran samurai by the name of Shinzaemon Shimada is ordered by an elder of his clan to assassinate the Shogun's adopted brother, Lord Naritsugu Matsudaira whose lustful and extremely brutal actions threaten to plunge the country into chaos. Simple as that. But the execution is truly a work of art. Using photography that immediately hurls the viewer in Edo period Japan, Miike first portrays the evil nature of Lord Naritsugu through ingeniously crafted scenes, such as the close-up to the samurai's face who is committing suicide by harakiri in protest and the portrayal of the tongueless dismembered woman whose bloody tears create a feeling of grotesque horror and disgust towards the Lord's conduct. Those are the most powerful scenes in the film and yet they show almost no blood at all (contrary to Miike's usual preferences). On the other hand, blood flows during the epic battle sequence at the last hour of the film, as a battle ought to be - realistic and merciless. The sheer brutality of hand to hand combat is shown in a no-nonsense way that few Hollywood filmmakers can capture (or are allowed to...). And yet Miike manages to create a connection between almost all of the characters and the audience, as character development is something which is taken very seriously. He conjures outstanding performances by all of his cast, namely Koji Yakusho, Goro Inagaki and Masachika Ichimura, as Shimada, Naritsugu and Hanbei respectively. Humor is also present in the film, at the right amounts to give a relief, but never exaggerated. The exception is the inclusion of a hilarious scene of one of the group and the mayor of the city which is shown only in the longer Japanese version of the film. Although too far-fetched it didn't bother me at all. It's yet one more example of Miike's bold filmmaking which manages to "bend" even mainstream "rules". Not suited for conservative audiences, but then again, when were Miike's films like that? In all, we 're dealing with an impressively directed film, abundant with brilliant performances, capturing photography and filled with scenes that will follow you for a long time. I can't get over the human wreck crying blood from her eyes and writing with a brush in her mouth "EVERYONE DEAD"... Even if some scenes (especially in the longer Japanese version) require some understanding of Japanese folk legends, history and/or geography, in order to get their deeper significance, the film is enjoyable nevertheless. It's not for the faint-of-heart, but it's as realistic as it should be. A modern "period epic" about honour, dignity, war and justice. One of the best films of 2010 and probably a standard for future historic epics. Truly impressed!

This is how the common man prevails

Author: blackmamba99971 from Canada
2 May 2011

This was a great true story of how a maniacal lord was to take power. In the thresholds of the house of the Shogun, a man with a lust for the macabre was becoming something of a tyrant, where by cutting off limbs or torturing the more less fortunate people for his pleasures. During this romp of chaos, a middle man Sir Doi (Mikijiro Hira) gives a secret order to stop this crazed individual by use of a group of assassins, thirteen in all. Heading this group is Samurai Shinzaemon Shimada (Koji Yakusho) who orders his men to stop this crazed individual by any cost, which includes their lives.

But to do so would mean to buy up an entire town and set it up so it becomes a literal death trap. But the lord Naritsugu Matsudaira (Goro Inagaki) has his own methods of outsmarting his foe. By fortifying the odds, and recruiting more men which toppled two hundred. Now with the town fortified with booby traps, and Shinzaemon's men ready, they go into battle in quite possibly the most blood drenched sword fighting scenes (Over 20 minutes) I have ever witnessed in a movie.

This is how the wars between the common man, and the samurai had been held. With no mercy or any kind of remorse to their actions. What makes it such an interesting film also, is that hardly no music is played to add to the scenes of fighting. This adds a more real, and more deadly ambiance. Though music does add some impact to the genre, I found it to be most satisfying without music.

You can hear the grunts, the screams, the metal to metal clashes of swords which make you cringe. In the most recent years, this is the movie for fans of this kind of genre. To see how it was back in the days of wars, noble houses, and the Edo period for which it is still as potent today as it has been for the last two hundred years. I give this film a high recommendation for those who love to watch the code of the samurai at its best. Imagine, thirteen men against two hundred, and defeating them all. Not a film for those under seventeen.

Perfect movie

Author: Gio Lorenz from Italy
6 April 2011

This is really a fantastic movie...a real samurai movie. Perfect picture, perfect screenplay (thumbs up for Tengan-Ikegami), perfect directing, perfect camera-work (even if sometimes it is boring for the repetitiveness of the left-right movements). Very good acting, Takayuki Yamada is a very talented young actor and for the other cast is first class Japanese actors...the fight scenes are perfect, really, i mean perfect: no blur, no flying camera, no bad artificial effects or recreations (like CSI...). The first part of the movie is fantastic...you can feel the tension growing; you know that is going to explode but you don't know really when and when it comes you just want more and more and this movie gives you enough. Takashi Miike is known for the color filters (and violence)and in this movie there is an appropriate use of these (both). His maturation makes him a real artist, and this is prove of it. Best film of the year.

A Surprisingly Great Samurai Film By Takashi Miike

Author: Obi from Japan
8 June 2012

I'll give director Takashi Miike credit for taking on adaptations or topics that would be very difficult to be made into films. However, If there is one genre I never expected this director to get his hands on a jidaigeki or samurai films. His directional style worked for this film and he surprisingly made a very good jidaigeki.

I have not seen the original and plan to watch it as soon as I get my hands on it. However, from what I have seen, the storyline was actually pretty good. The film focused very well on these assassins planning out their tactics, giving character depth on the characters who mattered, and portrayed their final battle against the warlord in a violent fashion that was just brilliant. One warning though, you will most likely be watching a film that follows the samurai's, planning out their tactics against the evil warlord throughout the film. Usually, this type of storytelling leads to a very boring movie; however, everything worked well enough where you will barely be bored and will be entertained. The film makes up the long wait with its final battle as the fight is one long fight. I liked how Miike presented the film as a samurai film and nothing different. You have the samurai honor, samurai code, and the samurai's and citizens acting like how they should during that time period.

I liked how the director portrayed the characters as it follows the time period and historical perspective of the time period. Unlike "Seven Samurai" as all of the samurai's played a vital role in the story, some of the recruits are not paid close attention to, as they are not in the same class as the samurai's who are paid attention the most. As the final battle occurred, I did forget that these assassins exist, but overall, their existence matters. Although they do play a vital role near the end, do not expect the film to focus onto these characters. All you need to know is that the Yakusho Koji's character, among others who have the most dialogue are the character's who you will care for the most.

I haven't seen a good cast in a Japanese film in quite a while. Yakusho Koji, Yamada Takayuki, Iseya Yuusuke, among others who are casted in this epic jidaigeki and they were all fantastic as their roles. Out of 13, at least 4-5 assassins were focused the most because of their class and all of the characters are awesome and likable. Iseya Yuusuke does play a character that you can recognize in "Seven Samurai," the wild character who joins the group of assassins; but I liked the character and he is a very good actor. Everyone who mattered in the film, performed very well and I really liked the cast they used for this film. You have a good amount of Japanese actors/actresses who were well casted and all gave it their best. Possibly, the most surprising was Nagai Goro who portrays the main antagonist. In Japan, there is a talent agency called Johnny's which holds a group of male idols who sing and dance around; basically an agency that promotes a great amount of Backstreet Boys. Most of them can't act nor sing and cause a film to go downhill fast because of their lack of talent. Nagai Goro is part of one of the boy bands named "SMAP" and isn't great when it comes to his acting skills; but surprisingly he was pretty good. His character is sadistic and evil as it comes and Goro pulled it off pretty well.

What surprised me most was the serious tone he delivered for this film. From all of the films I have seen by Miike, he always had to add these ridiculous scenes in between the plot; to add humor in between the story. I watched the 20 minutes of deleted scenes from the international release and surprisingly, all of the scenes that were cut out from the final cut didn't have as much ridiculous moments that I expected; they were scenes that could have made it to the final cut. However, as expected, their was one ridiculous scene and was glad to see that part being cut out. One thing that might be weird to people will be the ending as something peculiar happens. The ending will definitely cause some confusion, but I really liked how he made it an open ending. His ending will definitely get you thinking and it really worked for me.

If you have watched "Seven Samurai," then you know that the film presents a very long climactic battle. As I read in a few Japanese websites, both, this and the original, presents a very long climactic battle. If I remember correctly, the final battle is at least 45 minutes and what a long battle it was. The battle goes non-stop as you see the assassin's cut down their enemies one by one and seeing their planned tactic go into play. Miike really used his style of directing and created a bloody and violent battle that was entertaining. This film is a gore fest as you see blood squirting everywhere and seeing that all of the characters are pretty awesome.

It's been a while since I've seen a very good samurai film and Miike definitely surprised me with this flick. If you enjoy Miike's work or love samurai films, then you will have a blast watching this film.

2 Hours of Cinematic Heaven

Author: simonedwards_1 from United Kingdom
7 June 2012

This film had all the hallmarks of Akira Kurosawa's greats but with Tarantino editing, large free flowing cinematic fight scenes amazing CGI blood spurts and on top of everything actors with HEART.

There are some shocking limbless scenes but nothing too grotesque like Ichi the Killer for example. I really wish Hollywood would take note of great films like this, and leave them well alone.

Takeshi Miike deserves acclaim for this, it is his most subtle film.

Absolutely Knockout- plus a great, great no country for old men style ending.

The only person who could re-make this film in my opinion for a western market would be Tarantino himself.

10 out of 10

Astonishing intensity and vivid cinematography make a stunning film

Author: perkypops from United Kingdom
27 May 2012

I have always admired Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai for its ability to translate a good story into superb cinema. Here the seven become thirteen who are to rescue people from a disturbingly unpleasant tyrant whose leadership has run out of control. A meandering opening paints the story upon which we have eavesdropped in a way oriental films excel in. We are introduced to the characters who will, by the second half of our evening at the cinema, be battling out an intense, bloody and relentless fight to an honourable end.

Such is the way with these stories that advantage pitches first one way and then the other as if good and evil have no role to play in human affairs. All that matters is the honour of the participants each of whom has a sworn duty to their leader or master. There is no way out of this pitched battle and all else is swept from out of sight of our eyes and minds.

The cinematography, sound, editing and general continuity are absolutely masterful. The sets are like pictures spun to impress on us the time, the atmosphere, the tension, the emotions, the nerves, the sheer human quantity of not knowing what will happen next.

This is not another episode in martial arts for it is far too good to be just that. As in the Seven Samurai there are moral overtones to almost everything that we see and it is that upon which the film concentrates. And in the end we are exhausted but ever so willing to watch the whole film all over again.

Please see this film if you are in the least interested as to how good movies are made.

A samurai film that ascends to modern action standards while still true to its roots

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
20 December 2011

Samurai films tend to lean toward either overly talkative and boring or hyper-stylized to the point that credibility comes into question. Striking that middle ground, however, can lead to greatness, or rather — great honor. Takashi Miike's "13 Assassins" might not match the great Akira Kurosawa films, but boy does it come close, and it does so with themes and blades of equal sharpness.

If swords-and-sandals flick "300" had been less concerned about abs and Gerard Butler screaming war hyperbole, it would have looked and felt like this film. Anyone who hails Zack Snyder's 2006 film as a masterpiece should pull up a seat with this film for two-plus hours and see how it's really done.

Both the aforementioned film to which comparison is inescapable and "13 Assassins" tell a story about how the number of men indicated in their titles fought against an army numerous times the size. In this film, the reasons for fighting a battle most certain to result in death are less glossy and brash, as well as guided by some consideration for historical relevance.

The story takes place at nearly the end of feudal era Japan, when samurai have become nothing but show thanks to a lengthy time of peace. Yet one lord seems to undermine this peace with acts of cold-blooded violence: the shogun's half brother, Lord Naritsugu (Gorô Inagaki). It is expected, however, that when he returns from Edo, he will have a place on the shogun's council and have political influence to go with with warmongering ways. After a respected samurai commits harakiri in protest, the elder of the shogun council charges a samurai named Shinzaemon (Kôji Yakusho) with putting together a squad of samurai to kill Naritsugu before there's widespread unrest.

The beginning of the film shows us Naritsugu's cold and horrifying ways with enough brutal imagery to make anyone want to pick up a sword against this guy. The story then continues with the assembling of the 12 assassins (the 13th comes later) and their strategy for accomplishing the task. Yet on the other side is Hanbei Kitou (Masachika Ichimura), the samurai sworn to obey and protect Naritsugu who must develop counter-strategy to foil Shinzaemon, an old classmate of his from the dojo.

The game of strategy boils toward a 45-minute climactic battle in which the 13 assassins use everything from trickery to explosives to straight-up sword hackery against an army of 200 men from Naritsugu's clan. The delivery of these sequences rivals any modern action film, and that includes battle cries, little humorous lines tossed in for fun and especially creativity. One samurai takes out 30-plus guys in a narrow corridor that he prepped ahead of time with several swords carefully stationed throughout.

But most impressively, "13 Assassins" never loses sight of what its whole conflict is about. The plot doesn't exist merely as a formula guaranteed to produce an unforgettable culminating battle. Throughout the entire film, characters are questioning the values passed down to them for hundreds of years of honor and duty. Having essentially stood their whole lives as symbols of a fading age, they take on this quest in search of finally fulfilling that purpose of total commitment and servitude, yet this battle will teach them what it truly means.

Essentially, this is not the same movie if set in another time or another place, which sets it apart as a truly great action film. As replicable as a story of a small band of skilled warriors taking on the impossible is (it possesses a great number of similarities to what's considered the best of its kind, Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," for one), writers Kaneo Ikegami and Daisuke Tengan give "13 Assassins" its own thumbprint with the context.

Miike then delivers the full impact of all the tones from pure syrupy action to dark, shocking drama. He knows exactly how to take a high-tension scene to a whole other level by creating a full spectrum of what we see versus what is kept from us, especially in terms of violence. As soon as he wants to export those talents to Hollywood, someone better answer. We could use more action films like "13 Assassins."

~Steven C

Visit my site! moviemusereviews.com

Remakes do not get much better

Author: wdytreviews from United States
25 August 2011

What did I think? 4.5 of 5 stars. Caught it on Netflix but wished I could have seen it in a theater. Great acting despite having to divide attention to subtitles. Samurais at the end of Shogun era in Japan with a soulless Lord who is about to be assassinated by samurais numbering you guessed it, 13. Well 12 at first. The fight scenes are very well choreographed and very elaborate, it can be a little hard to keep up with who is who but not so much to make you lost. Takashii has probably created his best work to date and hopefully will keep it at this level. All of the actors did a great job not only emotionally but physically as I am sure the action was tough at times. Great action scenes in the end and good pace. Overall a great remake to the 60's original.

What did you think? Movie and TV reviews. Visit us on Facebook.

Brave Samurais are making the plot truly strong

Author: priyantha-bandara from Colombo -Sri Lanka
12 July 2011

Taksshi Mike gives a new face to the 1963 classic '13 Assassins' and he has executed it at grandeur level portraying an event which took place in Japans feudal era.

When an evil and sadistic lord is bringing horror to countrymen, few Samurais who were once loyal to the throne foresee a greater danger. If this Lord Naritsugu Matsudaira plunges himself to the throne in near future the country will be devastated and torn with war. Thus these brave set of men creates a silent and elite secret force in order to assassinate the lord. Gathering only 13 men to their force they fearlessly goes head to head against an army of 200 to fulfill their goal. Brutal and merciless Samurai swords speak for themselves.

This movie is a wonder of its own creation. It brings out ancient lifestyle of Japan in to light with details. And more than that the spirit of the brave Samurais are making the plot truly strong and when they fall and die one by one still they keep the heads high and hearts strong. Courage and determination of a worrier may not seem this strong in any recent movie which I recall.

However be warned that 13 Assassins is not an easy movie to digest. It has blood and gore in great volumes and violence sometimes you might not really expect. Yet they are important in order make the story run to your blood stream. And once the war hits the screen after a long and silent slow momentum, it goes right until the end which is nearly 30-40 mts. So you might actually lose the count of killing.

My reviews at flickshout.tk