IMDb > Forget Me Not (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Forget Me Not More at IMDbPro »

Something a little different

Author: (a10reu@yahoo.co.uk) from United Kingdom
30 November 2009

I saw a preview screening of this at the weekend. It has a very involving story line and I soon found myself wrapped up in the couples journey threw London. It is not the usual genre I would opt for but, the engaging story, great choice of locations and top notch acting kept me entertained. I felt connected to the characters and as the credits started to roll I wanted to know where their journey together was heading. It has a few flaws but they never distracted from the message of the film. It passed the all important watch test, although as I say not my genre, I never found myself looking at my watch to see how long was left. I was captivated by what was happening to the central characters. I left the screening feeling upbeat, thinking about how at our darkest hour something small can happen to bring us into the light.

I would recommend this for anyone looking for something a little different.

An Unexpected Gem

Author: pdtp911
5 June 2011

I anticipated a clone of "Before Sunrise," which I really enjoyed, but this film was much more than the story of two people spending 24 hours together, sharing tiny parts of their lives and moving on. The film sets the stage and encourages the viewer to imagine the truth about the characters without any cinematic tricks. The pace was perfect and the film devoid of unnecessary dialog. Just as in true life, some of the conversations were unfinished or interrupted as the film carried on. Several times I found myself forgetting that I was watching a film, as I was so caught up in the humanity of the characters. The acting was truly first rate. It was beautifully filmed, using really super London locations and fun music which gave it the look of a much more expensive finished product. I will keep this gem in my movie library, listed under "inspirational romances."

Nice surprise!

Author: Joseph Oppenheim from United States
26 August 2011

My kind of film, about two hurting people who accidentally meet and wander around the streets of London.....kind of like a dark "Before Sunrise." He, a troubadour, she, a bartender looking to start anew. Sprinkled with some nice songs and heartfelt feelings. Forget about action or comedy, it's human drama with a lot of what people do....talking. This really is what an indie film is supposed to be about, in my opinion, looking inside human beings. Also neat, the couple slow dances to a tune from an IPod kind of thing, with earphones in each of their ears. As for the acting, they do come across as real and so does the entire film.

Gentle and understated - a good watch.

Author: AnnaSpanner from United Kingdom
24 March 2013

I enjoyed this film a lot, it was more than I was expecting. It's not your standard romantic drama, and it's clear that there was no big budget or fanfare with this - but that's why I liked it. It meant that there was no distraction from the two main characters in the film and I could concentrate on their stories. Tobias Menzies plays his character with an understated confidence, he allows you to understand him and his ways in your own time. Genevieve O'Reilly is also good and plays a very likable character. There's a chapter of her story, involving her grandmother, which felt a little 'shoe-horned' in, and there may have been another way of introducing the subject of memory to the film in a less contrived way. I never saw the end coming (the two have a conversation at the end in which all is revealed), and the final scenes were really good - although nobody warned me this film was a weepy! All in all, a good film and I'm pleased to have watched it.

Great movie

Author: lexmas from Canada
5 June 2012

I loved this movie. Poster of the movie make it look like some kind of a generic indie romantic comedy but it couldn't be more wrong. It was such a pleasant surprise in terms of pretty much everything.

I don't want to give stuff/spoiler away because there are some elements that's only reveled at the end that changes the entire perspective of the story so I'll just say it is more of a character driven story about the hardships of life than a typical "romantic" movie. It reminded me a of a movie called "Once" that I really liked as well. The actors-although unknown- did an amazing job! It had great music, and narrative and so much "heart "than I expected. It is definitely a great movie to check out.

"Endearing and poignant conversational drama..."

Author: Sindre Kaspersen from Norway
16 December 2012

UK producers and directors Alexander Holt and Lance Roehrig's feature film debut which was written by screenwriter and musician Mark Underwood after a story by writers and producers Steve Spence and Rebecca Long, is a UK production which was shot on location in London, England and produced by Rebecca Long. It tells the story about Will Fletcher, a guitarist and singer in his 30s who lives in a flat in London. One night after performing at a bar, Will is interrupted by a screaming woman whilst trying to commit an irrevocable act and runs to her rescue. This sudden event introduces him to a bartender named Eve Fisher.

Finely and acutely directed by English filmmakers Alexander Holt and Lance Roehrig, this quietly paced fictional tale which is narrated from multiple viewpoints, draws an incisive and involving portrayal of a meeting between a musician and a bartender who without any prior knowledge of each other finds a connection. While notable for it's naturalistic and atmospheric milieu depictions and fine cinematography by UK cinematographer Shane Daly, this character-driven and dialog-driven independent film depicts an in-depth study of character and contains a great score by American composer Michael J. McEvoy.

This modestly romantic, charmingly humorous and somewhat existentialistic love-story about a man and a woman who decides to accompany one another during the course of one summer night in London, is impelled and reinforced by it's cogent narrative structure, substantial character development, subtle continuity, authentic characters and the heartfelt and understated acting performances by English actor Tobias Menzies and Irish actress Genevieve O'Reilly. A tangible, endearing and poignant conversational drama which gained the award for Best Film at the 7th London Independent Film Festival in 2010.

Walkie-Talkie

Author: megangray from United States
22 November 2011

Not a movie but life. Amazingly simple and deep!

Forget Me Not works principally for three reasons – stunning visuals, realistic acting and an immense script that builds the characters through their thoughts and feelings and thus allows us to get to know them as we do the people in real life. This allows the characters to be free, and it's easy to believe that these are real people and not just actors working from a script. This also allows us to feel for the characters for who they are, and not merely because they're the protagonists. This kind of realism is hard to capture as, at the end of the day, we as the audience know that they're watching a film and not observing real life; but the dialog is amazing, the acting is spot-on; this is a great film.

It has been compared to Before Sunrise/Sunset but it has another level beyond those films which really allows it to stand out. I did see a boom in shot at one point, but the relative low budget does little to mar enjoyment.

More than a stock romance, a thoughtful and involving film

Author: Jojo Ma from United Kingdom
29 July 2014

Categorising the film as a romance may have done it a disservice. Yes, it's a love story but it's also about how we create a place for ourselves in this life through the stories we tell and our relationships with other people. Will is utterly decent, Eve is free-spirited and perhaps a little rootless but they're both in the process of changing their view of themselves and how they present themselves to others.

As a viewer, you always know more about Will than Eve does which develops a certain investment in the story. There are clues along the way to the secret we already know - it's easy to see how she misses them and the fact that she does means we develop an empathy for her simple optimism. There are also clues, right from the start, to the secret we don't know. Knowing what we know from the outset, it's easier for us to spot those clues and add them up than it is for Eve so the revelation is perhaps less shocking for us than for her; for us it perhaps feels more like an inevitability. It's a clever device that tends to pull viewers in rather than feeling overly manipulative.

Tobias Menzies as Will and Genevieve O'Reilly as Eve both give wonderfully natural and believable performances, making it easy to just lose yourself in the world of the film. Conversations ebb and flow, some things are unsaid, some things are never finished, just as they are in real life (what's the kicker in Will's most embarrassing story? We'll never know!). The London locations give it a "bigger" feel than many low-budget films.

It may be a romance, it may even be a weepy but I think it goes beyond that with a message that is ultimately positive and optimistic - don't be afraid to care and don't be afraid to let others care for you.

Potential for so much more

Author: pint_sized_one from England
11 March 2014

This film has a lot of potential. The cast, particularly the two leads, are great. The premise - two strangers meet and spend one long night falling in love - is perhaps a little predictable, but still holds charm. The setting - London city at night - is picturesque. However, the script fails to deliver and our two star-crossed lovers spend far too much of the film skimming the surface of well-worn conversation topics, trapped in cliché scenarios.

Lingering looks? Check. Conversations about God and the meaning of life? Check. Rain-soaked embraces? Check. Guy giving up his jacket? You bet. Bittersweet ending? Of course. Piano playing, swapping of embarrassing childhood stories, walks along rivers, revelations of painful pasts, spontaneous musical interludes - this film has it all.

That's not to say the film doesn't have its charms. There are some interesting twists in the conversation, and there are moments towards the end where the characters manage to break free, however temporarily, from their cookie-cut roles of Tortured Artist and Manic Pixie Dream Girl. The problem is that the formula has been done so often, and so much better. See: Before Sunrise (1995), Once (2006), Breakfast Club (1985). This film is by no means terrible, but with so many other good films available to watch, why waste your time?