IMDb > Deadpool (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deadpool

Deadpool More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 114:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Dirty, funny, sexy, violent and unabashedly romantic: Deadpool has arrived!

Author: gogoschka-1 from wherever good films play
12 February 2016

I really, really liked Deadpool. And you know what? I didn't expect to. Seriously, I was never a fan of the character (in the sense that I hardly knew anything about him) and the humor as well as the violence seemed forced and overdone in the trailers. Still, I remained interested in the film, I just never expected it to actually be good - until the reviews arrived. After most critics unexpectedly showered this newest superhero movie with praise, I went in cautiously optimistic (but still fully prepared to hate the film).

The first thing I noticed was how inventive the storytelling is. The film throws you into the action from the first moment (literally: the very first moment) and then it goes back and forth in brilliant and unexpected ways to slowly unspool the story of this insane - but oddly charming - antihero. Flashbacks and fast-forwards can be annoying as hell, but when done right, they can help render even a somewhat simple story fresh and exciting. And that's exactly how Deadpool felt to me right from the start: like a fresh (if somewhat dirty) jolt of energy.

The action itself is beautifully designed, employing playful visuals and using pretty much every camera technique available; it never feels repetitive and the pacing is close to perfection. But, and that was probably the key to me liking the film so much, there's a beating heart underneath all the action and carnage, and that has a lot to do with how brilliantly Ryan Reynolds portrays the character and the great chemistry he has with co-star Morena Baccarin. What came as a complete surprise to me was how unabashedly romantic Deadpool is. The love story in this film is probably the most sincere I've ever seen in a superhero movie and it gives the film the strong emotional core which so many of these movies lack.

The humor, which I initially feared would just be non-stop juvenile wisecracks and soon become distracting, also works surprisingly well. Not every line or every joke lands - but that's the beauty of this character: they don't really need to. Deadpool can't help himself; as long as he's able to breathe he'll crack wise and make fun of himself and those around him. It's a clinical condition; he's not a stand-up comedian whose jokes need to land: he's a madman (albeit a very entertaining one) and the comedy in his case is born out of tragedy.

Despite all my praise, it's not a perfect film. The villain in this revenge tale could be more memorable and the story itself is a bit too derivative to really do its highly unconventional protagonist (he insists he's not a hero) justice: but it's a damn good first entry in a franchise that will hopefully explore the character and his world to a much larger extent in the sequel(s). And it's actually a very important film for another reason. If Deadpool is a financial success - which at this point is already clear it will be - this could play a vital role in how studios henceforth view the financial prospects of R-rated superhero films, and we'll hopefully see more of them in the future.

Many people might feel different - and I respect their opinion - but I've grown tired of the entirely bloodless CGI overkill in all those 200 million productions where even the most terrible villains talk like Mormon schoolgirls. I mean: there's a gigantic audience out there that is over the age of 18, loves to read comic books and can absolutely handle real-world language, real-world sex and real-world violence in superhero movies. This genre is so diverse; it's ridiculous to believe just because comic books have pictures in them all film adaptations - regardless of the material - must automatically be made for kids in order to be successful.

As it is, I think Deadpool - a dirty, funny, sexy and violent film which is decidedly NOT for kids - just proved my point perfectly. 8 stars out of 10.

P.S. (for new IMDb users): If you want to get a better reference whether this review might be valid for you or not, just click on my user name and you'll see what kind of films I like.

This is what it looks like when filmmakers take risks

Author: moviewizguy from United States
15 February 2016

Deadpool is a triumph of artistic vision over studio interference. Little credit should be given to 20th Century Fox, as they had zero faith in the success of a Deadpool movie. To put things into perspective, Ryan Reynolds fought for this film back in 2004 when Blade: Trinity was released. Reynolds and co. went to shoot test footage that was then leaked online by Reynolds because Fox had no intentions to release it to the public. Finally, after years and years of BEGGING to the studio and the overwhelming positive responses of the test footage from the public, Fox didn't even tell Reynolds and co. that the film was greenlit. They had to find out online like the rest of us plebeians. If that sounds bad, Fox even cut their budget by $7 million AT THE LAST MINUTE, which caused the writers to scratch some action sequences that I'm sure would've been great to see.

Deadpool now has the biggest opening weekend in the month of February (surpassing Fifty Shades of Grey), the biggest opening weekend for 20th Century Fox (surpassing all the X-Men films), and the biggest opening weekend for an R rated film EVER (surpassing The Matrix: Reloaded). With all that being said, Deadpool is a hilariously entertaining film that works mainly because of Reynolds himself. His comedic skills pay off gloriously as the titular character, who gives so many quips in one instance that some jokes will be missed. Of course, credit should be given to the writers too (AKA: The Real Heroes Here), and it's impressive that this is Tim Miller's directorial debut. The action sequences and pacing are so good that you'd think this came from a veteran director.

From the ingenious opening credits to the subversive ending, Deadpool constantly upends clichés and tropes you're used to seeing in superhero flicks in the past few years. What's great here is the filmmakers had something weird and perverse and just went with it. Jokes about pedophilia, pegging, and sex run rampant, but it's never really dark, despite the mature subject matter. On top of that, it's also very refreshing to see a pansexual superhero in such a big studio film. It's unheard of these days. Fox and other studios, learn from this success. It's not the fact that a hard R-rated film can do well, it's that Deadpool also happens to be very good, most likely because you, Fox, actually gave the filmmakers the creative freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted.

Simply Excellent.

Author: GoodHandsomeLad from United States
13 February 2016

Deadpool is a 2016 film that the eighth film in the X-Men franchise where The Merc with the Mouth seeks revenge in a humorous way.

Wade Wilson is a mercenary who spends his time in New York City protecting teenage girls from would-be stalkers. He meets escort Vanessa Carlysle at a local bar and they become romantically attached for nearly a year. He proposes to her one night, then he suddenly collapses and is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Though she remains by his side, he fears losing her.

One night at the bar that he met Vanessa, he is approached by a recruiter from a secret program. He is offered an experimental cure for his cancer, but he rebuffs the man and leaves. Desperate to live, he reconsiders and leaves Vanessa in the middle of the night to undergo the procedure. He is injected with a special serum by Francis Freeman and tortured for days by Angel Dust in order to trigger a mutation. After weeks of no success, Wade is strapped into an airtight chamber after insulting Francis. The drop in oxygen triggers a healing factor that removes his cancer, but severely disfigures his face and skin in the process. He escapes from the chamber by blowing it up and attempts to kill Francis, only stopping when he claims he can cure Wade's disfigurement. He is then impaled by rebar and left for dead in the destruction of the lab.

Although he tracks her down, he cannot come to terms with his complexion, and he keeps himself away from Vanessa. Wade moves into the home of an elderly blind woman named Al, and with the advice of his best friend Weasel, he becomes a masked vigilante named "Deadpool", and begins hunting down Francis and dismantling his organization.

Following a string of leads from various syndicates, Deadpool attacks a convoy of cars on an expressway before getting his hands on Francis, demanding for a cure to his disfigurement. The confrontation is suddenly interrupted by the X-Men Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, who want him to join the team. Their intervention enables Francis to run off, and when Colossus handcuffs himself to Deadpool on their way back to the X-Mansion, Deadpool cuts off his own hand and escapes back to his home.

The next night, Weasel convinces Deadpool to go back to Vanessa, but when they arrive at the strip club she works at, Deadpool discovers that she has been kidnapped, and Francis and Angel Dust tell him to meet up with them on a decommissioned aircraft carrier at a scrapyard.

Deadpool convinces Colossus and Negasonic to help him, and the trio take a cab to the scrapyard, where Colossus and Negasonic have a grueling battle with Angel Dust while Deadpool slashes through an army of goons on his way toward Francis. Deadpool and Francis then engage in a bloody hand-to-hand combat before Negasonic uses her power to destroy the aircraft carrier. In the end, Deadpool gains the upper hand in the fight and Francis admits that there is no cure for Wade's disfigurement. Although Colossus urges Deadpool to spare Francis and be a true hero, he shoots Francis in the head, finally killing him and avenging himself. Deadpool removes his mask and shows Vanessa his new face. Though she is angry that he left her, she accepts him and they reconcile by kissing.

In a post-credits scene, Deadpool urges the audience to leave and go home, then announces that there will be a sequel involving Cable.

Best Movie I Have Seen In A Long Time

Author: jelimafish
17 February 2016

Firstly I would like to state that it is completely hilarious reading reviews with One Star because the movie had "Foul Language" and "Sex Scenes" or that someone had no idea that the movie was inappropriate for their 9 year old kid. Dead Pool is rated R and with 3 minutes of research you could have determined if this movie was for you or not With that being said I will not delve into the plot but the acting and writing were fantastic. Ryan Reynolds nailed this role. If you are easily offended by violence, language, or nudity this is not the movie for you but if you have a sense of humor and want to be entertained for 2 straight hours you will love this movie.

a much needed breath of fresh air in a stale genre

Author: peterafro from United States
26 September 2016

At first glance, Deadpool seems like a typical superhero movie due to it being made by Marvel. But once those hilarious intro credits show up, you know you are in for one of the most creative films in recent years.

The first thing that is unique about this film is the characters. In typical superhero films the characters are stiff and super serious, in Deadpool the characters are filled with personality and can range from the serious Francis to the silly Deadpool giving this a parody like feel, in a good way.

Also what is different is that this is a story of revenge rather then saving the city/world/universe that is seen in every single superhero film. Also the tone of film is more comic then dark thanks to the fantastic humor of all kinds from slapstick to dirty to just plain silly, this film just does not stop the laughs (I laughed 20- 30 times in my SECOND watch).

As for being an origin story, I can say that the backstory placements were well done, equally as funny, and explains only what is important in understanding the story. Final rating 10/10 this is a great nominee for movie of the year and one of the greatest comedies ever made

Worst Marvel movie ever made

Author: whatdamonks from United States
24 February 2016

If you enjoy sitting in on conversations that are typical of young and foolish teenage boys this is the movie for you. Every other line contains the F word and for some reason the director thought penis jokes are the funniest around.

The story is about as hollow as the humor. It's a cheap and bland story about revenge and invincibility painted with a veneer of "love" that is as misguided as the character's personality.The movie is littered with sarcasm and cynicism that just becomes depressing after a while.

Ryan Reynolds acts like a 13 year old boy throughout the movie, cursing and making penis jokes and then talking to the audience thinking he is very funny.

This is the most overrated movie I've seen. Most of these reviews on IMDb had to have been paid for. Hollywood had to have paid for this hype or people these days have really low standards. This is a low brow film like no other.

Save 2 hours of your life and do not watch this movie.

Funny, entertaining and refreshing

Author: Time Saver
18 October 2016

I am aware that to many people (especially those unfamiliar with Deadpool comic or Marvel comics at all) this movie would seem too gory, unnecessary brutal and excessively violent. But this movie is a comedy, where its main protagonist, Deadpool, should be perceived as a comedian, and Ryan Reynolds did an excellent job representing this character.

The story of Deadpool isn't complex or profound - and it wasn't meant to be. This movie is all about fun and entertainment, abundant with action, jokes, blood and foul language. Therefore, it is not suitable for children. I grew tired of people thinking that movies based on comics are intended for children only.

Related to that, I believe that many Marvel movies could have been far more successful if they didn't refrain from gory scenes. I am sorry, but if you want to make a serious combat-based movie and you make it without blood, than that movie will be all but serious.

That is why I see Deadpool as a refreshment. Nowadays many writers and directors are too worried about political correctness in their movies. That really stifles creativity and that is why today we have so many movies with great ideas but poor realization.

Thus, to me, Deadpool was a very pleasant surprise, I had fun watching it, and I intend to watch it again some time soon.

"Bad Deadpool… Good Deadpool Film!"

Author: Asif Khan (asifahsankhan) from London, England
14 December 2016

If anyone else could be cast to play Deadpool, he certainly doesn't exist in this universe. After Ryan Reynolds's dramatic failure in the Green Lantern film, he has returned to the comic book world. Reynolds is absolutely phenomenal as the foul mouthed, and witty antihero. I mean he is just superb! He completely owns the role, and gives a fantastic performance. If Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man, then Ryan Reynolds IS Deadpool. He is also such a liveable character, and by the end of the film, I genuinely cared about Deadpool. I never thought I'd say that. All of the performances are great. No one holds a candle to Reynolds, but I will say not one person was miscast here.

Deadpool is a unique film, and a huge gamble. Both Marvel and the studios bringing us this film took a major risk. This is a beloved character, and his world is very different than other Marvel films. Right off the bat, this film is consciously self-aware. It knows its a comic book film with comic book characters, and it actually exploits it. Many times, Deadpool turns to the audience and tells us what we're all thinking. It was so different, and it worked so very well. The narrative itself is also different. It's very non-linear. The events of the film don't play out in a normal straight narrative.

One of the trademarks, nay, the trademark of Deadpool is his sense of humour. This film is by far one of the most hysterical films I have seen in some time. The writing is so perfect, so sharp, and so full of witty banter, and thankfully, it all works. Not one joke, that I remember, fell flat. The film had me laughing constantly; from the opening credits, all the way to the after credits scene.

As for the action, it's also very satisfying. Many action films today are butchered by terrible camera work. For whatever reason, many modern action films are using shaky cam. Instead of clear, steady shots, the DP will go hand held, and shake the camera violently. The worst example in recent memory of this is, Taken 3. Thankfully, there are films like this, and others, that know exactly how to do a good action scene. Director Tim Miller and cinematographer Ken Seng do a brilliant job creating slick, good looking action. Not only is the action brutal, and extremely bloody, it's just co clear and well handled. The fights are really great here. I couldn't help but be reminded of Tarantino's, Kill Bill films while watching Deadpool. They are incredibly similar in their style of fight scenes.

Sitting in the cinema, the inner critic in me struggled internally. I kept thinking afterwards about the film. What were the flaws? I don't often see a film without pointing out the negatives. Even films I really like, or even love, have flaws. I'm certain that if one sits and picks this apart, you will eventually find some flaws. Perhaps the overall story is paper thin. Perhaps the villain wasn't very compelling as character. Then again, Ajax was honestly serviceable. Ed Skrein gave a great performance, and by the end, you really hate the bastard. He's a generic, or a dick, British villain– and the film makes fun of that!

"Deadpool" and Guardians of the Galaxy were both huge risks that ultimately paid off, big time. As a film, it's nearly perfect. The film does exactly what it needed to do, and more. It introduces Deadpool, sets up his character, and gets you to like him–if you didn't already. The non linear narrative was refreshing to see in a superhero film. Everything about this film was different and unique. It's self awareness and breaking of the fourth wall work well; really well. The direction is great, Ryan Reynolds is phenomenal, and the script is fantastic!

Well, blow me!

Author: emma munns from United Kingdom
24 May 2016

Let me say at the very beginning of this review, I loathe super hero movies. I can not stress that point enough. For me, watching anyone of the countless driveling movies which have been pumped out by studios in the name of entertainment over the past decade is, for me, akin to having teeth pulled. Painful to say the least. My friends however are addicted to every single bombastic franchise, and through sufferance, I've endured countless hours of mind numbing boredom watching yet more Lycra-clad numpties saving the earth from ridiculous threat (there are of course exceptions to the above; 'The Dark Knight', the original 'X-Men)

I was once again convinced that spending an evening with chums watching Deadpool would be an excellent waste of my time. I envisaged 15 minutes of feigned interest, followed by an hour 45 of updating my email and some cheeky online shopping. Well that new Morphy Richards kettle and toaster are still waiting for me to purchase as low and behold, shock of all shocks, this film is bloody marvellous!! Bloody, hold your knickers cause they are about to get blown off, marvellous!

The dialogue is witty, sincere, and delivered by every single actor with a naturalism which seems more like improvised off the cuff genius, than drab scripted nonsense.

The pacing of the movie is excellent. It held my interest through its entirety.

The actions scenes directed with the skill of a more seasoned director.

I was so pleased that for once, I was being forced to watch a movie that treated me like an adult, with adult humour and themes, made for adults. Not for grown children masquerading as adults.

This film is a perfect storm! Just everything is right! I look forward, to my great surprise to any squeals!

Brain Dead Pool= Boring Nihilistic Knuckle Dragging Crap

Author: ArchAngel Michael from Quis Ut Deus?
12 May 2016

Spoilers Ahead:

Questions I asked myself while watching this boring piece of decadent manure: 1. Do only religion, good taste, manners or reality offend these pagan nihilists? Is it possible anymore to say the question: gee, was that in bad taste? Was that too gross, what do you think? See, call me a picky ass, if there are no boundaries, do you think we might want to sketch some in? 2. When they are casting female Uberwomen, do they intentionally pick the most diminutive women who look like extras from the Munchkins in the Wizard Of Oz? See, if she looks like I could bench press her and launch her to Saturn, I really don't get into the movie, sexist pig that I am? Yes, Pool breaks every joint on his body but not when she punches Metal Boy? Of course not, she's a woman the laws of physics don't apply, we saw that in the new Star Wars; who needs training? She speaks Wookie, can fly the falcon better than Solo, and has better fighting skills than Darth Maul. Please, our royal Matriarchs, your insignificant thrall requests that you select female leads taller than four feet and weighing above sixty pounds? 3. Now, show of hands, what killed Wolverine: Origins? Yes, the freaking origins part with the general that dragged on and on, I could have replaced my transmission during the origin part of Deadpool. Like we give a big crap, could we get back to the movie sometime soon? The first fifteen minutes were so promising, I liked his smart ass banter, the great action, I was loving it. Then the movie turned into an hour of how he became Deadpool like we are writing a paper on it for a degree, stop already. Even Ant Man did not waste this kind of time with the how he became Deadpool which is right up there with what happens to poop when I flush the toilet, yes, get back to me on that? Look, do comic book movie fans look like they care about what happens for an hour at English boy's torture and discount plastic surgery center? I am not attacking this movie for its gory violence or relentless vulgarity that would have offended Mike Myers. The only sin a retarded comic book movie can commit is to be boring. Trust me, after the promising beginning, we devolve into Cancer Boy and his rotation down the crapper into DeadPool at the hands of Tudor Boy.

4. If we are all equal, why do the ladies always have to be the strongest and bail the men's dumb butts out? (Mad Max, Rogue Nation, Force Awakens, San Andreas). See, equal means no difference in outcomes NOT that women always have to: knock over aircraft carriers (though they be the size of bowling balls). The movie is boring: yes, it is ugly, crude and vulgar but, hey, this is based on a comic book not Hemingway. I was bored for an hour watching this, it picks up the last half hour but it is sloooooooow in the middle. I concur with its votaries, it was rated R so I forgave it the requisite debauchery. Like Green Lantern, which Renolyds also wiped out, his non stop sarcasm grows most taxing and boring. See, if everything is a punchline, you cannot care about the characters because everything is made fun of: all of human society. From the opening credits, these dreadful decadents ridicule everything around them (can you tell they never fought for any of it but were handed it by mommy and daddy?). Like your parents told you, if you didn't work for it: there is no value to anything.

Oh, when the economy comes crashing down around them (currently 20 trillion), trust me, they won't find martial law, bread lines and summary executions quite so amusing. Sarcasm and Irony are supposed to be part of the narrative not the entire script= note to the Bong users who wrote this movie. Please, Beam me up Scotty. This is what the global oligarchs have to dumb down to so they can sell this crap around the world, believe me, it isn't pretty. My Review: Boring like you cannot imagine. Save Yourself From Hell. Crap in any language. Q.E.D.

"All The Great Works Of Literature And Philosophy Are Closed Forever To Idiots." Arthur Schopenhauer

Page 1 of 114:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]