IMDb > Blessed (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Blessed More at IMDbPro »

Charming tale of lost and found

Author: jegpad from United Kingdom
21 June 2010

I was swept away by this short story about a grief stricken father who renews his faith in life through a chance encounter with an orphan.

The opening scenes and score whisked me away to an isolated beautiful island, the choice of escape for a rich financier destroyed by loss. His work as a lighthouse keeper provides a wonderful setting, poignantly connected to the way he lost his family.

James Nesbitt is challenged by the role and delivers one of this best performances.

The unexpected arrival of an ethereal young girl with magical skills and a joie de vivre brings a conflict for Nesbitt, between his peaceful solitary existence and the benefits of childish company. I found myself at times wondering whether or not this child is a figment of his imagination.

Charming little film about tragedy and hope.

Sweet, moving film

Author: Chris Barton from West Kilbride, Scotland
11 December 2011

My wife and I stumbled across this movie purely by chance, liked the fact that James Nesbitt was the main actor and gave it a try - so glad we did.

This is a refreshingly innocent and moving film which inspired us to love our children more.

There's a lot of humour mixed in with a gentle tale of loss and love. Despite the fact that there's not much dialogue it isn't the least bit boring, and Nesbitt gives a winning performance.

We turned this film on intending to watch half of it and go to bed, but ended up watching the whole movie until 1.25am!

Do yourself a favour - if you are looking for a sweet but not cheesy story give Blessed a go.