IMDb > The Wolverine (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wolverine

The Wolverine More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 56: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Quite enjoyable, better than Origins

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
27 July 2014

The Wolverine is not as good as the first two X-Men films, which were very good and great respectively. But it does improve on Last Stand and Origins by quite a fair bit, neither are as bad as they're reputed to be but had a lot of glaring shortcomings. That is not to say that The Wolverine had no shortcomings either. There is some illogical scripting, the romance is a bit forced and the extended scenes that has it bogs the film down, the ending is a bit too rushed, some scenes dragged and were a touch repetitive and the Japanese characters were very under-written and not at all interesting. What The Wolverine does do that improves on Origins and Last Stand is that it isn't anywhere near as bad as trying to incorporate too many subplots and too many characters and then develop hardly any of them. The film looks great, the special effects improved over those from Origins, it's slickly edited, it's shot cohesively and it has a beautifully dark look that gives it both a grit and audaciousness. The music is suitably dynamic and while not completely action-enhancing it at least fits. The story is not perfect, but there was a dark intensity there, some unexpected twists and turns and I didn't have too much trouble following it, while the action is smartly handled especially the Throne of Blood-like ninja fight and the one on the superfast train. The funeral one was reasonably fun too but was over too quickly. James Mangold does valiantly and unlike Brett Ratner and Gavin Hood he is actually comfortable throughout instead of being good in one aspect(the action) and not in the other. The performances are fine, although Tao Okamoto's beauty is nowhere near enough to salvage her bland acting. Rila Yukushima's acrobatics dazzle and of the femme fatales Svetlana Khodchenkova is even better, slinky and formidable. But Hugh Jackman gives the best performance, a very powerful performance while being subdued, it was nice to see some depth to him this time when in Last Stand and Origins he was moody for the sake of it seemingly and not much else. The Japanese culture was very nicely done and gave the film some diversity. To conclude, a decent and quite enjoyable film that serves as a better but still not perfect origins story. 6.5/10 Bethany Cox

The Wolverine delivers exciting martial-arts related action and explosive fight-scenes but fails to intrigue with low-quality, medium dialogue.

Author: The_Riddler_1948
9 July 2014

Logan travels to Japan in the Wolverine --- the film is all-round different, and better than the first stand-alone Wolverine film (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) as it adds more excitement, action, better acting, and more complex fights.

Disappointingly enough, there's not much different in terms of dialogue as it's simple and not done very well. Also, a few of the explosions are irritating as the first one, at the start, looks as if it was meant to take off the literal second in which Wolverine takes cover, and that's very annoying.

The end scene is pretty cool - in which Wolverine faces more than he bargains for - with a slight twist here and there.

7.7/10.

Almost Great! (very very very minor spoiler, not even a really a spoiler)

Author: danamadeus from United States
29 June 2014

The Wolverine is Hugh Jackman's second outing, (if you count that first abysmal piece of trash) as the character, and let me just say right off, I loved this movie!….mostly. The Wolverine is an awesome, character-driven, badass comic book film..or at least two thirds of one.

One of the coolest things about The Wolverine is it very closely follows the story-line of Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's definitive miniseries about the character. The film picks up sometime not too long after The Last Stand and we first see our hero bumming around through the mountains in his grief over Jean Grey's death at his clawed-hands. Logan is in somewhat of a slump and at a crossroads when he meets a woman named Yukio while he's in the middle of beating up some hunters in a bar. She gives him an invitation to come to Japan at the request of an old, dying industrialist who's life Logan saved in WWII. With not much else going on, Logan accepts and meets with the man, Yoshida, who offers Logan the chance to become mortal by transferring his healing powers to him. Logan declines and shortly after, Yoshida dies. Chaos ensues from there when the funeral is attacked by Yakuza assassins and Logan discovers his regenerative powers have ceased healing his wounds. Logan makes it his mission to protect Yoshida's granddaughter, the beautiful Mariko and flees with her to get her somewhere safe.

There are so many strong aspects of the movie. For one, there's a solid director this time around in James Mangold, who gives the film both style and subtlety that marks an immediate quantum leap in quality from the last Wolverine movie. The storyline is also compelling as it's a personal story that focuses on Logan's inner struggle, his never-ending journey and his relationship with Mariko. It doesn't shove a bunch of one-dimensional, under-developed mutants in the movie just for fan-service, (insultingly cynical fan-service at that). The movie has focus, it has humor, character, and some pretty kick-ass action. One particular sequence that has to be mentioned as a stand-out is the fight on top of a moving bullet-train; one of the best-executed and most thrilling action sequences I've ever seen. The movie deftly balances and alternates between character moments and action and gives you a story you can actually care about. …The problem with the movie: ..the last third goes downhill in very pronounced, overt kind of way. You can just feel that it starts to lose steam and they drag it out simply because every comic book movie has to have a dragged-out, over-the-top finale. And that's what it has. The movie has a really cheesy, underwhelming climax, and "The Viper" is a lame, borderline annoying villain. It's so unfortunate that's the case, because otherwise this is an awesome movie. I liked all the characters and their portrayals, (aside from Viper), from Mariko to the evil Shingen, to Logan's "Bodyguard" Yukio. I did like the actual ending, (before the credits) of Logan on the plane, (still afraid of flying!) with Yukio, and them going wherever he goes next together, but with the events of DOFP, it doesn't' seem like any continuation of that is possible.

Overall, The Wolverine does right by the character and the storyline it's based on, which is a real rarity. I can see why there are divided views on the movie, it has a lot of good, as well as some great and some lame. I think though, the more you care about the character, the more you'll enjoy it. 7.7/10

Surprisingly good!

Author: drew_atreides from Ontario, Canada
1 May 2014

.. i must admit that X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine had left a real bad taste in my mouth with regards to anything related to this character.

X-Men: First Class was a good step in righting the franchise again, but when i saw there was another Wolverine movie i had zero motivation to check it out.

Found the Blu-Ray on-sale for 10 bucks, however, and being the comic nerd that I am, i finally decided to give it a chance.

Colour me surprised to say I actually quite enjoyed it. It's much less action-oriented and more on the character-driven side, which was refreshing.

Mariko and Yukio were both really well-realized characters. I really enjoyed the by-play and chemistry between Wolverine and Yukio. I was happy to see the setup for them to be adventuring together moving forward. Hope that Mangold and company stick with that.

Good film! Hopefully X-Men: Days of Future Past can build on this and continue the upturn.

"Don't hit my friends."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
23 April 2014

As long as I've known about the character, he's been Wolverine. So why is this movie called "The Wolverine"?

Until the great final battle against the monster adamantium machine, I was enjoying the development of the story line dating back to the Japanese prison camp outside of Nagasaki. It sets up the action in the present day with the dying Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi) summoning Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) to his bedside for a final good-bye. Wolverine's struggle with his own immortality is fertile ground for a much more in depth study than what we get here; his decision is made too easy when he finds himself helpless without the extreme healing ability.

But I guess you can't have everything. I was never a Marvel comics fan per se, and only know the characters peripherally so I don't get as worked up as some reviewers on this board. Hugh Jackman is pretty cool as the title character and does a credible job. Fans of this stuff require their over the top action and this one provides it well enough.

The only thing is, as long as I've known about the character, he's been Wolverine. So why is this movie called "The Wolverine"?

The Spin Off Movie Wolverine Deserved,

Author: FilmBuff1994 from Ireland
21 April 2014

The Wolverine is a great movie with a very well written storyline and a talented cast.My was very pleased with this movie,Wolverines first spin off film was extremely mediocre and had so many flaws,this movie made up for that,I'm not saying its perfect but it certainly is the solo movie that Wolverine deserves,he's a great character and Hugh Jackman does a great job playing him.The ending is without a doubt my favourite part,it was just such a fun and unexpected scene,I won't spill anything,but it is definitely a set up for X-Men: Days of Future Past.Fans of the X-Men series and Wolverine in particular will be very pleased with the Wolverine and I would definitely recommend it.

After Wolverine ends up in Japan,he gets caught up in some major forces that causes to face his own inner demons.

Best Performance:Hugh Jackman Worst Performance:Tao Okamoto

Not Bad (among Wolverine movies)

Author: AkelaLoneWolf from Hong Kong
17 April 2014

The love for Hugh Jackman aside, this is easily the most profound Wolverine movie (profound in a Marvel comic sense, that is) that had been shot and produced. The film was quite well-balanced between action and character building; it depicted how the tragic hero battled mortality and his own dark demons whilst also slicing open the chests (and other body parts) of countless opponents with ease and grace.

The rhetoric: is it really good to get what one (believes) one craves and yearns for? I think the movie did a pretty job of illustrating that point. One drawback (spoilers warning!) - I dislike the way they tainted the friendship which lasted half a century. Another comment (spoilers again!) - I really don't feel too comfortable with the bone claws (which according to Marvel will be here to stay for a while yet) so am eagerly looking forward to the next X- Men movie.

So Much Better Than X-MEN: ORIGINS

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
4 April 2014

After the utter disappointment of X-MEN ORIGINS, I was less than thrilled for a new solo adventure for Marvel's adamantium-clawed mutant. The shoddy plot, cable television level CG, and blatant abuse of Deadpool/Wade Wilson still leave a bad taste in my mouth five years after it was dumped into theaters. Fox hasn't got the greatest track record with its comic properties, with it's disappointments leaving a stronger impression than its successes. I never read the Chris Claremont/Frank Miller Japan story arc in the Wolverine comics, and the only James Mangold films I've ever seen were IDENTITY and WALK THE LINE (which were good, but didn't exactly imply he had the mindset for a comic book film). To simplify, I had no real draw to this film other than an ongoing hope that it just had to be better than the last Wolverine film. And, wow, it was. THE WOLVERINE is set a while after the events of THE LAST STAND. Logan is living off the grid, sleeping in the woods with only a radio and his nightmares to keep him company. He is found by a young Japanese woman, Yukio (Rila Fukushima), who insists he accompany her to Japan. There is a man from Logan's past on his deathbed and wishes to say goodbye to the mutant who once saved his life. The man, Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi), offers Logan an opportunity for freedom from the pain of his immortal life. No longer would he have to live on as those he loves die around him. He turns him down, the old man dies, and that's when Logan's problems truly begin. He loses his healing abilities and is forced on the run to protect Yashida's granddaughter, Mariko (Tao Okamoto), while at the same time trying to discover who's behind it.

I actually really enjoyed THE WOLVERINE. It's a lot better than I anticipated, especially if you catch the unrated version that was released on home video. It's your fix for all the brutal Wolverine action our lives have been missing in the PG-13 X-MEN film universe. Without the rest of the X-Men around to bother him with those pesky morals, Logan gets to cut loose (no pun intended). He's not going up against a bunch of mutants this time with super strength or high endurance. He's (mostly) going against regular humans who crumple under the assault of his adamantium claws and animalistic rage. The loss of his mutant healing abilities add a nice touch to the film too. The biggest problem with a character such as Wolverine is that he's never truly in danger. There's not much that anyone can do to him that he wouldn't recover from and soon proceed to eviscerate them. Without his healing abilities, he's finally at risk, and so is Mariko. Mariko's being hunted by the Yakuza following her grandfather's death and Logan makes it his mission to protect her. This leads to some nice character moments as Logan allows himself to get close to someone for the first real time since the death of Jean Grey, a death that continues to haunt him. THE WOLVERINE is just as much a character piece as it is a comic book/action film. We still get loads of Wolverine action but it's interspersed with chances to develop his character in regards to his budding romance with Mariko and his friendship with the beautiful Yukio. Rila Fukushima is probably my favorite part of the entire film. Her character Yukio is an exotic beauty and a masterful fighter in both hand-to-hand combat and katanas. Plus, she's a mutant because it was necessary for some interesting plot foreshadowing (and literally nothing else).

THE WOLVERINE is not without it's flaws though. The movie drags on a little in the midsection when the bulk of the character development is placed. I didn't mind it too much but it was enough of a lull that my buddy actually fell asleep in the theater for a few minutes at that point. Honestly, it's not that bothersome. I was more turned off by the character of Viper. It just wouldn't be an X-Men film if there wasn't at least one character shoe-horned in to fill out the mutant quota. Oh yeah, she's a mutant in the movie too (while he character in the comics wasn't) and, as I understand it, she had nothing to do with the Japanese story arc. She's just here because they wanted a mid-level mutant villain. I don't care much for her inclusion in the movie and Svetlana Khodchenkova doesn't do much but chew scenery, giving no real depth other than being evil. Wasteful.

I love that the majority of the movie is a more toned down, character-centric film that the other comic movies out there but it all devolves into the usual sci- fi/fantasy/action stuff. Big baddie, lot's of fighting, epic conclusion…all that stuff. Also, I've got to say I saw all the major plot points coming a mile away. I knew who was behind most the evil-doings just from having seen the trailers. Still, it wasn't enough to taint the experience. I was pleasantly surprised by THE WOLVERINE and I forgive Fox for the mess that was X-MEN ORIGINS. While I wouldn't rank it up there with my favorite comic book movies, it was still a great entry in the X-Men cinematic universe and proof that Logan/Hugh Jackman are still going strong.

Sniffing the Dog that Went Before

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
27 March 2014

There isn't much to say about the ordinary features of this. It is a Marvel production and that means the world is dull in all aspects. They seem incapable of leaving safe territory, so this is more or less Michael Bay in the nineties.

But there is something interesting going on. The way these films are put together, I believe, is as a set of manufactured stereotypes for the world market. You can't just target the US any more.

Of course you still have to have a baseline of American grit, with the structure of a Western. And you have to honk around with roles of women. Those are essential for this recipe.

What's interesting to me is the way the Japanese are handled. Japanese culture as filtered through film is a more powerful influence I think than even Europe minus Italians. Italian storytelling stands apart in film, and the influence is strong.

But not as strong as Ozu and Kurosawa. Heck, Japanese film makers even did French new wave better. So when a film wants to leave the underground of who invented what in the cinematic vocabulary and just shuffle stereotypes, but from the same world, it folds into something novel.

Our guy on the other side is a somewhat noble officer at a POW camp. Saved from The Bomb, he turns on his savior because he wants the technology in his soul. One of the world's richest technology companies was created by this guy, but instead of the American Tony Stark model, he can only implement ideas from others. The genius in the picture is a Western woman, incidentally evil in ordinary ways, who is hired by our Japanese mogul.

Part of the stereotyping is that nothing is settled on the western side. Our hero hates his life of constant pain and remorse. Our western evil woman knows she is absolutely evil. But shift to the corrupt Japanese politician, the organized crime hoards, the Japanese boss, the rejected boyfriend... All these live in a world in which their actions are proper.

Marvels Dirty Harry is back!

Author: mic90 from Finland
26 March 2014

Warning: spoiler alerts.

Its already sixth the Wolverine role for Hugh Jackman. But I will not complain. He is still perfect and always give everything in his role. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) was very disappointing. The movie got too much the characters and the special effects took the lead and the story suffered a lot. Also the character were much more tamed than Bryan Singers movies. It also proposed the girls too much with Jackman's shirtless body and typical Hollywood explosions. Wolverine's "animal side were minimal".

The Wolverine based on the comic book created by Frank Miller and Chris Claremont. In the story Logan travel to the Japan to learn from samurai's. The film is and independent sequel to X-Men: The Last Stand (2006). For the paper it would have been a very bad idea but the script is much better than in X3 movie. Jean Grey appears to Logan's mind every night to him and Logan doesn't want forget her.

The hero lives in Alaska. Suddenly he got invitation to the Japan to meet an old friend. Logan saved him a long time ago. Logan travels to the Japan to say goodbyes. The journey went to unfriendly and Logan will face his demons again and chance to become mortal.

The crew has learned a lot from the first Wolverine solo movie. This time there are not too much mutants and this time the hero itself is central of the story. Hugh Jacman shines again in the leading role. His muscles are bigger than ever. The cast is wonderful and not well-known but it does not bothered at all.

The special effects looked cool and they kept these minimal. There are not much action scenes but when the action starts these looks good. Especially fight on the bullet train looked damn cool. Unfortunately in the end of the movie the ideas started reminded too much typical action movie. Maybe they didn't knew what they wanted. The final fight felt rushed. It was very disappointment. Next time something new, please.

James Mangold did a fantastic job as the director and hopefully he continue in the sequels. Overall The Wolverine is enjoyable and one of the best superhero movies.