IMDb > The Wolverine (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wolverine

The Wolverine More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 56: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Kinda....meh

Author: DJ Zurn from United States
26 April 2014

I liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Yeh, sure it's despised by a lot of the X-Men movie fan community and the comic book purists, but I quite enjoyed it the first time I saw it and while recent viewings of it didn't leave the same impact, it's still a movie I wouldn't mind watching every couple of eons. Of course, it's only my perspective, so I have to be quite honest when expressing my thoughts on a motion picture or picture show. That being said, the semi-sequel to X-Men Origins, simply titled The Wolverine is, well, kind of mediocre in my eyes. I didn't really have all that high of expectations for this film and it wasn't atop my MUST SEE list of 2013. But, after seeing the film twice now, I think the film is okay, but not a personal favorite.

I was never a big fan of the storyline where Wolverine travels to Japan, fights Silver Samarai and all that jazz to begin with, so I didn't really know what they were doing with this one, not what to expect.There were good action scenes and great character development for our main player, once again played by Hugh Jackman, but part of me was constantly saying "I've seen this stuff a million times". A million and one wouldn't have hurt, but I really wanted to see something unique, something fresh and innovative, something that was never done in an X-Men movie before. Of course Wolverine gets his claws covered in blood for the first time on film and the whole plot about Yashida taking his healing powers was very interesting, but most of the time, it felt like Wolverine just going around, stabbing people with his claws and smooching with the ladies.

A million times.

Sure, it's cool to see Wolverine being haunted by the ghost of Jean Grey, who he had to skewer in The Last Stand and the main female character, Yukio is beautiful, but at some parts, I wanted to drift off to slumberville. Some parts, I wanted to walk away and make my own assumptions on how the movie would end. The movie just didn't seem all that appealing to me. Now remember, it's just my opinion and if you like this movie, that's perfectly fine. Everyone has a different taste. But I really wouldn't want to watch this one that often. It was bland at some parts, mediocre in others and my overall verdict of the film is.....

meh

I liked some of the effects and the whole Japan environment is nice to look at, but I really don't have that much to say about this one. I really couldn't give a fist full of adamantium claws. It's just okay.

Hopefully, X-Men: Days of Future Past will be a zillion times better.

Not a bad film but not a great one either

Author: julian-mumford from New Zealand
18 April 2014

As the comic book cinematic universes continue to expand it is difficult to keep up. Whether a film is a sequel, prequel, reboot, parallel story or a hybrid of what has come before, is almost mind boggling.

As the most successful character of the X-Men series, it always made financial sense for the man with the steel claws as "Logan" or "Wolverine" (Hugh Jackman), to keep coming back for more.

This time we are transported back to just before the atomic bomb is dropped in Nagasaki 1945. Japanese officer "Yashida" (Ken Yamamura) instead of committing ritual suicide (Sepukku) along with his colleagues, opens all of the American prisoners cell doors, giving them a doomed opportunity to escape.

Deciding he is worth saving, Logan persuades his captor to dive into a pit and then shields him from the conflagration, using his indestructible body.

Fast forward to the present day and we find a troubled Logan waking post nightmare in bed with "Jean Grey" (Famke Janssen), all is not what it seems and suddenly we find the bedraggled Logan in the Yukon. With echoes of "Jean Valjean" from "Les Miz" still haunting Jackman in this mode of dress, you will be pleased to hear singing is not on the menu.

Logan is an angry man and soon finds an opportunity for a bar room fight, when local hunters treat their prey with no respect. Before he can do his thing, he meets "Yukio" (Rila Fukushima) a young red headed Japanese woman brandishing a Samuari sword known as the "Seperator" for obvious reasons.

Before you can say, neatly choreographed fight scene in local ale house, we are whisked off to Japan. The man he saved many years ago, "Yashida" wants to say goodbye. Of course there is an ulterior motive involving robbing Wolverine of his regenerative powers to save the older man thus allowing Logan to finally become mortal.

The plot thickens when the beautiful daughter "Mariko" (Tao Okamoto) appears on the scene and clearly needs Logans help, all is not well in the state of Denmark, or in this case, Tokyo.

The film attempts to broaden and deepen the role but does overall feel like a nod to current movie demographics, setting itself in Asia. The story as it unfolds, is unnecessarily complicated and towards the conclusion, teeters dangerously towards "Transformers" type territory with unintentional comedic moments.

The CGI especially towards the denouement is a bit ropey and what with Yakuza, lots of disposable henchmen dressed in black and sets that look, just like sets, the strive for realism takes a hit.

Jackman is as solid as ever, muscles popping and rippling like Mr Universe with Swiss army knives for hands. The supporting cast are just that, supporting and add little to the story or characterisations. At least this time we get Wolverine centre stage throughout the film with only minimal extra mutants popping up.

The prologue is perhaps the most interesting segment of the film but like X-Men before, some might question the use of this thematic element as a backdrop in a mainstream comic book film.

Summary

Not a bad film but not a great one either. Wolverine is still searching for that one good solo film he surely deserves.

Solid entertainment but overall aiming high yet falling somewhat short of director James Mangold's Japanese based vision for Wolverine.

A good sequel to the Wolverine/X-Men franchise

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
16 February 2014

I'm not a Marvel super-fan so am not as clued up as some, but do enjoy the stories... especially Wolverine (Hugh Jackman). For obvious reasons. This appealed to me because of the Japanese/Samurai/Ronin connection, that I find interesting. The storyline was more convoluted, to my way of thinking, than the other Wolverine film, and even some of the X-Men. The film is shown through a series of fantasy/dream shots and also flashbacks as well as up to date action interspersed and shows Wolverine to be vulnerable and a deeper character.

Hugh Jackman's performance was superb; physical, emotional and powerful, and I have come to really appreciate Hiroyuki Sanada (47 Ronin, The Railway Man), a superb actor who has just "popped up" in Western films recently. The other actors were a little laboured in their performances but I liked Tao Okamoto (Mariko) and Rila Fukushima (Yukio) despite this, and there was much in their performances that was impressive most spectacularly some of the fight scenes. The Samurai sword - Katana - was shown to good effect in the film in some amazing sword fights often katana vs adamantium blades. The two girls, especially Yukio were very good. There was some humour, but it was mainly drama and action, fairly predictable and I felt the film went on a bit too long. The SFX were mainly very good, but there were a few bits that were a bit less slick and a little silliness - a few goofs. It was however, an enjoyable hour or so and I wouldn't be averse to seeing it again.

My wife and I really enjoyed it, good follow-up to X-Men movies.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
27 January 2014

I enjoyed all the X-Men movies, and of course one of the best characters was Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman.

In this movie, "The Wolverine", set some time after the X-Men movies, Logan (the Wolverine) has dropped out of sight, he has a full beard, he is intent on avoiding conflict. Until, in Japan, he is forced to get involved again.

Some of the story is told in flashback, including a scene in Nagasaki years earlier where Logan saves the life of a Japanese man by pushing him into a deep well as protection from a nuclear blast. Now in present times, when Logan still looks the same age but the Japanese man is very old, and about to die, the man's granddaughter becomes the focus.

The granddaughter is Tao Okamoto as Mariko, who we find has been designated to inherit the industrial empire, but the old man is not ready to give up yet. He is looking for immortality and Logan becomes his target.

It is all Sci-Fi and fantasy but done very well. We enjoyed it and still are amazed that this talented song-and-dance man, Jackman, can play such an authentic Wolverine.

one time watcher

Author: alanjermy6 from United Arab Emirates
6 January 2014

i am not sure if i should say that this movie is good or bad,it is a OK movie i am a huge fan of the xmen series and a die-hard fan of wolverine, i went in with a lot of expectations but i was almost disappointed, there were a lot of plot holes and many parts in the movie just didn't make sense, sometimes it makes you go like "how dafaq did that happen" but there is a solid cast and Hugh Jackman's's acting is topnotch the action sequences are actually a stand out and the ending is something which you wont expect, some people would love to hate the climax the movie is pretty decent though i felt it has a week storyline the after-credit scene makes you jump up the seat and wanting to wait for a sequel it isn't a bad movie, i would just say to maintain your expectations this is just a movie you could watch once, it ties off quickly than you could expect

The third act was not consistent with the rest of the movie but otherwise fun

Author: Richank Dubey from india
15 May 2017

The movie was going good and would've gotten 8 stars from me if its third act was consistent with rest of the movie.Performances were fine.The camera-work and score was really good and the action was fun.There were some average acting at times though.It was an enjoyable affair overall and definitely worth seeing.

Very entertaining.

Author: michelvega from Canada
29 December 2015

I've never cared much for the X-Men movies, though I like many of the actors in them. That said, I found The Wolverine compelling and exciting. A beautiful red haired girl with a samuraï sword cutting up a red neck to pieces, literally; a sweet Japanese grand daughter and lots of ninjas and action. Reminded me of Elektra, which I love and Kill Bill, which I also love. And of course, Hugh Jackman who rules the roost after a well deserved bath and some manicure. He really makes it sound believable. Like others, I found the silver samuraï part silly. Was there really a need to delve into an Iron Man kind of opponent. But what the hell. Show me a man who wouldn't want to be immortal and strong with shiny throat slicing metal spikes coming from his fists. Would do wonder for any weakling self esteem, as far as I'm concerned. But that's what this kind of movies are there for. It releases the brave and courageous inside of each of us. That's what we like about such films. However too many mutants in a movie dilutes the fantasy for me. One is enough, like Elektra, Kiddo in KB and Wolverine. Much easier to root for one do gooder than too many of them. So now I'm waiting for another Wolverine movie. Well done!

Don't Understand The Hate For This Movie.

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
24 January 2015

I don't understand the hate aimed at this movie, as I find it vastly superior and a lot more enjoyable than its prequel "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and X-Men: Last Stand.

Plot In A Paragaph: Following the events of "X-Men: The Last Stand" Logan (Hugh Jackman) lives a lonely life in the mountains, haunted by dreams of Jean Grey (Famke Jenssen) He is located by Yukio, Rila Fukushima) a mutant with the ability to foresee peoples death, who asks him to travel with her to Japan, where he is to meet an old acquaintance who is dying. In a struggle that sees him stripped of his immortality, Wolverine must battle deadly samurai whilst trying to protect his friends granddaughter, Mariko (Tao Okamoto)

Hugh Jackman is in the best shape I've ever seen him and is charismatic as always, He will forever be linked with the role of Wolverine, I shudder to think what will happen when he stops playing the role, as for me he is irreplaceable, he is the definitive Wolverine as much as Christopher Reeve is the definitive Clark Kent/Superman.

Started of good but soon lost its potential...

Author: anjali-mohindra from UK
18 November 2014

Let me just say that Hugh Jackman's acting was once again amazing. He reprises his role of Wolverine brilliantly and really showed the emotional turmoil that Logan was going through. The other actors/actresses in this movie were pretty much average.

I liked the fact that Jean Grey had appearances in this movie. It really added to the story. I also liked the idea of Logan losing his healing powers.(credit to the comics) The first bit of the movie portrayed him losing his powers well and in my opinion that was one of the strongest parts of the movie. But as we progressed into the movie, Wolverine quickly got back his healing powers. I didn't really like the fact that he received his powers back so quickly. After this event, I became a little disappointed with the movie. There was a lot of build ups to the climax which I got bored through. The climax was good and I especially liked the unveiling of the Silver Samurai.

Wolverine losing his metal claws was unexpected but it was done well.

But my favorite part of the movie(and the only real reason I watched the movie) is the end credits scene when Professor X and Magneto are both alive and powerful. The dialogue for this scene is astonishing. It was a very exciting scene.

Good personal story, but lack of enthusiasm

Author: CMTiago from Portugal
4 August 2014

Starting a bit off topic here, but usually the Christopher Nolan films get bashed by their detractors for their serious, grounded approach that in their view takes out the fun of watching a superhero movie. Being a huge fan of those movies, I strongly disagree, as the conclusions to those films have a great climax and you can actually feel some excitement. In The Wolverine, however, I didn't exactly feel that.

The movie begins with Logan/Wolverine saving a Japanese soldier during the Nagasaki bombing in 1945. Now 60 years have passed, and Logan is wandering alone in the woods, mourning Jean Grey, who had died at his hands in X-Men: The Last Stand. He is summoned to Japan by the man he saved in the past. A now dying old man who seeks Wolverine's immortality. Through a web of deceit and a world he does not know, Wolverine must fight his inner demons, while also protecting Mariko, the grand daughter of old man Yachida.

The individual story is always one of the more unique in the X-Men universe, and this movie tried to show us Wolverine, the troubled mutant, instead of presenting us with Wolverine, the bad ass mutant seeking revenge, like X-Men Origins: Wolverine did in 2009. This was an idea I was fond of, since it could actually turn into an interesting movie plot. The execution, though, was mixed. Once again, I think the focus of the film is spot on, but in the end I didn't feel like I was watching an awesome comic book movie. Instead the mood was overall OK, and the movie isn't shockingly bad, but still more could have been done.

While I still wait to watch X-Men: Days Of Future Past, it's good to see Hugh Jackman owning his iconic role yet again, even if it is a lesser X- Men film. I guess I have to wait just a little bit more to experience ,what I hope is, an excellent X-Men movie.

Rating: 7/10