IMDb > The Wolverine (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wolverine

The Wolverine More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Say hello to Wolvie!

Author: janianmol from India
27 July 2013

This summer, comic book fans and movie audiences have already been treated to two hit film adaptations featuring some of their favorite characters. In May, Marvel Studios' Iron Man 3 overcame a lukewarm fan reception to gross over $1 billion worldwide, proving that the Marvel Cinematic Universe remains one of the elite blockbuster franchises.

Then, Warner Bros. and DC released the Superman reboot Man of Steel and brought the Last Son of Krypton back triumphantly as that film has grossed $282 million domestically and $620 million worldwide.

Both of these movies also had an "event" feeling to them and with all the coverage the two blockbusters have received, it's easy to forget that there's still a third superhero movie this summer - and it's right around the corner: 20th Century Fox's The Wolverine. Although, i like to call it "Wolvie".

It's no secret that one of the most maligned superhero adaptations in recent memory is 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which was ravaged by critics and moviegoers who were displeased with the butchering of fan-favorite characters, sloppy production values, and a poor script. The general consensus was it was just a mess of a movie and an overall disappointment.

Looking for a reprieve, Fox has made the smart decision to distance the second Wolverine film from the first and position it as a standalone film - not a direct sequel. Since it takes place after the original X-Men trilogy, The Wolverine will still have to acknowledge the events of the prior movies (Jean Grey makes a brief appearance), but director James Mangold has made a point to explain that his movie "stands alone" and is about Wolverine's next journey. Serving as a quasi-reboot of sorts, The Wolverine's standalone approach will hopefully win the studio some audience goodwill.

James Mangold took over for Darren Aronofsky to direct The Wolverine and his involvement should be a positive sign. In the past, the filmmaker has helmed Oscar-nominated dramas such as the 2010 remake 3:10 to Yuma and the 2005 Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line. These two career highlights were praised for their acting and directing.

The director is hoping to craft a more personal, character-driven story that breaks from the mold of a typical summer action flick. Mangold is looking to respect the rich storytelling of comic books and graphic novels in and break away from what he calls the "standard formula" of a big-budget superhero adaptation. Obviously, there will still be action, but it should be refreshing to see a movie like this go in a different direction.

The best superhero films – The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider-Man 2, even The Incredibles – rely more on character than set pieces, making the person behind the mask (or in this case sideburns) just as interesting to watch as the action elements. If this is what Mangold is going for, it's a promising approach.

The Wolverine looks to deal with heavier issues than we're typically used to seeing in a film like this, particularly the consequences of immortality. This film finds Logan in a dark place as he struggles to cope with the knowledge that everyone he loves will eventually die while he stays alive. As a result, the movie will hopefully push our favorite mutant in new directions (as all great sequels should) and present audiences with something we've never seen before: a more physically vulnerable Wolverine.

At the turn of the 21st century, not many people knew who Hugh Jackman was, but a star-making turn in Bryan Singer's original X-Men in 2000 launched the Australian thespian's career. Jackman has since become one of the most recognizable actors of his time, scoring roles in acclaimed films such as The Prestige and Les Misérables. Still, his most iconic role is that of Wolverine in the X-Men franchise. Counting his brief cameo in 2011's X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine will mark the sixth time Jackman has portrayed the mutant, making him synonymous with the character. It's hard to see anyone else playing the part.

What makes Jackman such a great Wolverine (aside from his natural acting talent) is his enthusiasm for the material. It's obvious from his interview clips and quotes that he loves the character and the franchise. He understands how much the movies mean to the fans and he wants to give all of them a product they can enjoy.

Jackman is set to play the character once more in next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past. Eager to right past wrongs, fans have reason to think this movie will be a return to form if the star is so excited about it.

Even though The Wolverine is a standalone film, it was recently confirmed that there is a post-credits scene that teases where the studio intends to take the X-Men franchise - as they look to build a larger universe of X-Men films. This movie in particular may not be a launching pad for such a plan, but the prospect of a tease for the future is more than enough to generate interest among moviegoers, as Fox will quickly shift gears to next summer's ambitious X-Men Days of Future Past.

The Wolverine's button will provide us with that first look and it will be interesting, if nothing else, to see what directions they take.

Here's hoping Wolvie would do great on Box Office.

The best WOLVERINE MOVIE so far

Author: Namko Nguyen
30 July 2013

Well, in my opinion I found this movie better than X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, but there were scenes where it would impress you as much as an average action movie that you'd watch just for distraction and fun. I like James Mangold as a director more than Gavin Hood in general, but I think Darren Aronofsky could've done it better.

I definitely liked the whole concept of the movie: Wolverine gets so sick of his immortality that he loses his purpose and there is nothing meaningful for him in his life anymore. But when he loses his rapid healing ability, he suddenly becomes more savage and more dangerous adversary than ever and after a long time he falls in love with a woman and has something worth fighting and living for.

Action scenes were very good but not perfect, it had some hilarious moments, but there weren't really very much scenes with a lot of emotions, the only affective scenes were: Jean Grey hallucinations and Logan's intimate moments with Mariko.

But the ending - finally the final battle Wolverine deserves with a REAL CHALLENGE and the mid-credits scene with Sentinels, Magneto and Xavier made me really excited about X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.

Scratches with claws but lacks bite

Author: Fortress Of Solitude UK (superman@fortressofsolitude.co.uk) from United Kingdom
28 July 2013

The Wolverine' is released in UK cinemas today in Hugh Jackman's fifth outing as the super-healing adamantium filled mutant super-hero. Set, very loosely I might add, after the events of X-Men 3 we see the Wolverine yet again as a lone wolf trying to find himself. He heads to Japan where in a previous World War II visit he did a little bit of hero work and saved a Japanese soldier from a rather large nuclear explosion.

Back in the present day the previously mentioned Japanese soldier is now rather old, grateful and seriously rich and powerful. As any mental billionaire would he has taken quite a keen interest in Logan's super mutanty healing ability. The sort of interest any mega rich dying man would take in a guy who can heal himself quickly and live rather a long time.

So basically an old rich guy who Logan once saved wants to steal his healing ability. That's the tall, short and depth of this film. The film also sees a brief return for Jean Grey, but only in Logan's mind. The films a journey for 'The Wolverine' to find and forgive himself after killing Jean and leaving the X-Men far behind.

Wolverine is easily the most interesting of the X-Men characters (just ahead of magneto) and probably the reason he has spawned what are now two spin-off films. Logan has lived a long time due to his ability to heal, so he has seen and done a fair bit that can be explored in films. See what I wrote there, he can heal. He is not, as this film states, immortal. This is the first of very many problems this film has. I'm quite sure it was written by someone who has no grasp of the character at all. Logan can heal, he can't however live forever. If he could live forever he wouldn't get any older looking and would be a man-baby with very annoying baby claws.

My second problem with the film is the fact that its rubbish. It's basically a Japanese government funded film about how great Japan is and how it looks at its past and embraces its future. Yet again there are no, and I do mean no, decent action scenes in the entire movie that are not in the trailer. It's basically 3 minutes of action dragged out into nearly two hours. There must be a total of 6 minutes combined screen time for the films entire tepid and boring bad guys. It's woefully short of any serious or major bad guy catalyst and this is one of the main reasons for its general crappyness. Even the weirdly weird looking good girl Yukio, played by Rila Fukushima, is underused in a film that offers very little new action.

The what I shall sarcastically call 'epic showdown' at the end is nothing more than what's on the trailer mixed with sheer predictability. The only interest I took any interest is when yet again i found myself wondering why the writers failed to take into account the Wolverines actual powers. This is a running theme in the movie where they forget that 'The Wolverine' has an adamantium (a very rare super strong metal) skeleton. Basically he has a Terminator undercarriage so shoving bullets, knives and swords into him wouldn't go in very far in unless you went in through the stomach.

The only reason Logan can tolerate the adamantium skeleton and not get metal toxicity is the fact that he is a super healer. When stripped of his healing powers he would die very suddenly, or at the very least feel the effects. They also forgot that retracting and showing his claws would mean them ripping through his skin and leaving him in agony, as seen previously. The end of the film has Logan losing the visible part of his claws, and being left with adamantium stumps. Then suddenly the writers forget about the adamantium claw stumps and he was back having his re-grown boney claws again. So he grew bone around a metal claw stamp. Obviously Logan's Wolverine abilities now involve growing back bone claws around indestructible metal in mere seconds.

When you have had Man Of Steel recently with its varied and new type action sequences this film just seems like turgid drivel. It offers nothing new action wise with Logan throwing his claws about in a boringly routine, as seen before manner. The only glimmer of hope was that there is a very interesting after end-credits scene. Not worth sitting through 'The Wolverine' movie for I might add, but interesting none the less.

If you haven't seen any of the trailers, TV clips or ads you may find this a tolerable watch. If you have then you have seen it all. Hollywood clips have ruined yet another film and I can tell you not to bother. Watch the trailer and save yourself time and money.

Turgid, lazy storytelling, a failure to grasp the characters abilities and lacking in bad-guy screen time. Very, very disappointing.

Back to Basics!

Author: sohansurag from India
24 December 2013

Wolverine is one of the iconic characters in both the Marvel Universe as well as the 20th Century Fox's movies; so is his Adamantium claws and healing factor. An immortal and living through ages he does have a lot of stories ready to be told through movies/comics. We did get an Origin movie, X-Men Origins Wolverine which was panned by critics and audiences alike. But I felt it was trashed more than it deserved to be. It had loads of action and bits from the original Wolverine Origin story arc but it did trash the character for the sake of being an action-heavy summer blockbuster. A weak script, irrelevant characters and a stupid take on 'the merc with a mouth' underwhelmed the audiences. Anyways The Wolverine salvages some of its lost prestige putting a lot of focus on the core character.

Rumors that Darren Aronofsky'd be helming the new Wolverine had me excited but the director's chair was handed over to James Mangold in the end. I am not skeptic at all regarding Mangold's directing prowess, as evident from gems like 3:10 to Yuma, Walk the line and Identity. But I was wondering how he'd handle a superhero flick. After watching it, its safe to say Mangold's direction is far better than what I'd expected it to be.

The Wolverine is undoubtedly based on Frank Miller's take on the superhero and I was already familiar with the names Mariko, Shingen and Yukio. It all came like a whiff of fresh air. The Wolverine is sort of a reboot for the series and a brilliant stepping stone for a new franchise which could tell a parallel story to the X-Men movies. Although it has its roots attached to the previous flicks, we are dropped into the midst of Wolverine's story. There ain't no origin, there ain't no 'Previously'; instead we are just dropped into a narrative which ploughs forward to the thick of Japan. The Wolverine could be compared to treatment our superheros been getting recently. He's been stripped off his healing factors and he is left like so almost the entire movie and it does bring out some tension. I mean when he had the healing power, we knew he wouldn't just die even if she's split into two (admit it!)

The Wolverine is directed well and so was it well written and the action sequences well choreographed but its not without its flaws though. As mentioned above The Wolverine still has the debris it's carried on from X-Men The Last Stand and I wasn't pleased with it. Wolverine has flashbacks of his lost love? Seriously? Isn't it time his healing factor took care of that already? I mean its the god-damn Wolvie we're talking about here. Jean Grey's flashbacks (more like boring nightmares and more than once) kept crawling into the plot disrupting the pace and I just didn't like it. Of course Wolverine is tormented from what he'd done in the past but that doesn't mean, we the audience need to be tormented from start to end. The Japan setting was a bit distracting as well and maybe thats a personal thing. I am not a big fan of Martial arts movies and there was an excess of martial arts settings and jargon here in the movie though it all did look good. Props were fantastic and the action sequences thick, especially the Bullet Train sequence is something to gape at.

Hugh Jackman effortlessly steps into his Wolverine shoes for the 6th time and having worked with Mangold in Kate & Leopold did wonders for The Wolverine. This is the Logan we've all praised and been used to and Hugh easily slides into the role and storyline straight from X-Men The Last Stand albeit forgetting X-Men Origins Wolverine. But then again playing Wolverine would have become second instinct for Hugh by now. Supporting cast couldn't be praised for the same, most of them being just bait for the plot. Especially Wolverine love interest in the movies, I felt they had absolutely no chemistry. Rila Fukushima did an absolutely splendid job playing Yukio. I had huge expectations for Svetlana Khodchenkova who played the only other mutant in the movie, Viper but she just served for some eyecandy and wasn't even fleshed up to be a proper antagonist.

For what its worth, The Wolverine is a splendid action movie which concentrates more on the character and the plot than heavy heavy action sequences. If you are an X-Men/Wolverine fan you are gonna love it and please do stay back after the credits coz there is a monumental end- credit to be seen there.

Blade Stopper

Author: thesar-2 from United States
26 July 2013

My preconceived thoughts, thanks only to the marketing, on The Wolverine involved me rolling my eyes. Yet, another Superhero/Comic Book part 2 (in this case, Wolverine's second solo feature) that our hero loses their powers, the very thing I go see these movies for. Yet another movie I had to count the minutes until the inevitable return of their abilities. Do writers even consider how unoriginal this concept is?

Hmmm… how many have there been, excluding this one? And what were the reasons?

1. Iron Man 2 – Heart problems.

2. The Dark Knight – Wants to retire.

3. Spider-Man 2 – Anxiety.

4. Superman II – Lost for love.

5. Men in Black II – Amnesia.

6. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer – To each other. As some kind of comedy. Kinda.

But, I will say this: half way through this incredibly tedious, boring, terribly paced, toned down, un-fun, laughable dialogue and horribly choreographed "action" movie, I changed my opinion and actually wished my favorite X-Men character's (Wolverine) powers wouldn't return if this was how it was going to go.

I understand they wanted to make a more "grown-up" superhero movie, but still listing it as just that and keeping the PG-13, is a contradiction…in this particular case. "The" Wolverine's really dark – he even drops the F-bomb in this, so if they truly wanted to make it more like an adult adaptation, ditch the too-low MPAA rating. Sadly, that wasn't the only problem the Director failed at.

The Walk the Line, Girl, Interrupted and Cop Land director, James Mangold, had absolutely no clue on how to make these characters the very least bit interesting, what makes action scenes – especially in the X-Men universe – exciting or flow right or understood the mythology behind "the" Wolverine character. Even Hugh Jackman, reprising his role for the sixth time, looked bored and ready to quit. I was, too – I almost took a break during this painstaking long movie and not even ask my friend what I missed upon returning.

Oh, and don't get me started on the storytelling from the characters. The endless, relentless and uninteresting childhood stories the characters stop the film every 5-10 minutes to tell us. I couldn't stop laughing when I mimicked the numerous "When I was very young…" stories following the feature to my friend.

Basically, the preview gives away 85% of the movie, leaving very little surprises. "The" Wolverine is summoned to Japan to accept thanks for saving a man during World War II, but not just thanks: the gift of the death to "the" Wolverine's instant healing and eternal life "curse." So, when "the" Wolverine loses said power, he's shot multiples of times, including dead-center with a shotgun, and he continues on like they were scratches.

Will he get his powers back? Oh, gee. I dunno. Maybe. But, he will begin a chemistry-free love affair with a cardboard-cutout chick that had less depth of the width of said cardboard.

The movie was practically score-less, music-less, story-less and action-less. Along with the characters so incredibly dull, there was very little of interest here. And like I said, even Jackman looked uninterested and just going through the motions.

I wasn't a big fan of Iron Man 3 since it contained a minute amount of action, but at least that had a huge supply of comedy. Even "the" Wolverine's signature small one-liners seemed to be written by a three-year old and were so predictable, I quoted them (whispered out loud) before he said them during my initial viewing.

Oops, sorry: Initial? Probably: only.

Wolverine isn't for kids anymore.

Author: Phoenix Taylor from Dallas, Texas USA
26 July 2013

The Trailer and the Movie are worlds apart. This movie feels like a wolverine movie.

Do some of the characters come off as cheesy? yes. Viper is hard to take seriously. but... does the movie deliver? its pretty gory for a movie trying to sell toys. It really sets wolverine up to be almost a zombie. In a sense that if he has his healing factor, you better get creative on how to kill the Mofo. Cause it ain't going to be easy.

We see wolverine dealing with a lot more than he has ever had to deal with in this movie. Losing his healing factor is just one of the many things. PTWS is another. Jean plays a great role in showing us that Logan is dealing with suicidal thoughts after killing his lover and seeing his professor explode.

I guess they actually try to get you to see his personality. Which is hard to do, cause at wolverines most truest, he is an IMMORTAL GYPSY. There is a scene in the beginning of the film that deals with a grizzly... it really makes an effort to get you to understand Logans character.

Now... what fans will complain about. Never suits up. Silver Samurai is a Mecha and totally butchered the origin. Some fight scenes are cut short while some drama character developing scenes seem to drag on. (which is one of my favorite parts about this movie). and the movie just does not feel like a superhero flick. It feels like a superhero drama.

which i loved about it. Darren Aronofsky was suppose to direct this originally.. I am not sure if he had any influence on the script but... I could see him directing this movie. It was dark, and violent, there was blood on claws! (never thought I would be excited about that)

and Wolverine drops the F bomb once (cause you can only drop it once before getting an R rating).

so... this was the best Wolverine we will get on screen for a while. Hugh was pushing for this kind of a movie, he has wanted an almost R rated wolverine forever, it was his push for Darren Aronofsky to direct it. I have to give Hugh credit for knowing that the fans think wolverine is a violent, Clint Eastwood type of wander and trying to figure out to be that on screen and still sell toys to kids for fox's greedy execs.

I think if that is the goal... the team nailed it.

The Wolverine: B+

Wolverine: A revival note for the franchise...

Author: Sree Lal from India
16 December 2013

James Mangold, director of 3:10 to Yuma, presented wolverine as a revival for the long dead x-men franchise. After the devastating display in X-men: Last stand, which was crucified by both fans and critics, for it's blind treatment that even killed it's principle characters, X-men series was struggling to hold on the screen. Two prequels were released, one as an origin story for wolverine and the other depicted the revelry between professor x and magneto. The new wolverine works as a sequel to x3, and tries to lead a path for the series in future. Taking place in Japan, Wolverine deals with the inner struggle of Logan, who grieves about the death of Jean Grey. He questions his eternity as a curse, and wanders around alone. A man, who Logan saved before a long time ago offers him a cure, which will make him mortal. Logan's decisions, and subsequent incidents makes the movie. Hugh Jackman, as usual with his signature role, shines. Supporting cast, including Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima and Will Yun Lee, does justice to their roles. Mangold, with his character-oriented approach, helped the movie to fall out from comic treatment. What lacks in Wolverine is it's explosive nature. The movie emphasize only on Logan. His grieve and his attempts to overcome it. No other characters, except Viper, is mutant here. That made the movie to look like a unique one in the franchise. Also, Wolverine leaves a number of loose ends, like what happened to the other mutants like Storm and Colossus. Let's see next year's X-men days future past answers them all.....

The 6th movie is scary then 5.

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
24 March 2017

This is a great movie. The first five X men movies are good this is better. This movie has a great story line. It also has great acting. It also has great special effects. X men day of further past is better. X men apocalypse is also better. But still this a great movie. See it. It is one of the best action movies from 2013. It is a must see. It has a lot of action. 6.7 is a good ratting. But this is such a great movie that 6.7 is underrating it. I give it a 9. Because it is a great movie. See this movie. It is a great movie. I do not no why any one would not like this movie. And if they do it is because they do not know a good action movie when they see it.

Much better than expected

Author: robbie bird from United States
21 March 2017

I'm not sure why this movie has the same score as Origins, it was a much stronger movie imo. I didn't like Iron Samurai or the Viper but somehow this movie worked even with weak antagonists. Some character motives weren't true to themselves but overall this movie was entertaining and a bit different from the rest of the superhero films. This is definitely underrated and what I call a slow burner. The worst of the bunch imo is Origins, X3 and Apocalypse. Days of Future past was neither good or bad from what I remembered (the worst offense lol). I really enjoyed X1, X2, First Class, Logan, The Wolverine and Deadpool.

A Definite Improvement Over Its Predecessor But Still No Match To The Finest X-Men Films

Author: CinemaClown from India
9 March 2017

The second film to solely focus on the character of Wolverine after the repugnant crap that was X- Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine is a definite improvement over that disastrous origin story and features a better structured premise but it is still no match to the finest entries of the original & rebooted X-Men series.

Set after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand, The Wolverine finds the eponymous mutant living a solitude life before he's summoned to Japan by an old acquaintance whose life he saved years ago. Things are set in motion when he is embroiled in a way bigger conflict and finds himself vulnerable for the first time after losing his healing abilities.

Directed by James Mangold, The Wolverine places its titular character in a wholly different setting and pushes Logan to his physical & emotional limits by taking away his powers. However, the new surrounding is unable to add a sense of freshness to its premise because at its core lies the same generic narrative and it's not refined enough to set itself apart.

The story outline is intriguing and the script features an action-packed plot but the action is never emotionally engaging despite its impressive choreography and the turn of events are more or less predictable. The arc provided to Wolverine is interesting but the supporting characters don't really have one, and are severely lacking in depth, not to mention that their input is just as mediocre.

On an overall scale, The Wolverine is more stimulating than its predecessor plus it does work as a standalone sequel and while Mangold's attempts to explore & paint a different portrait of Logan is a welcome one, he is unsuccessful at pulling it off in a convincing fashion. From its promising start to its CGI infested finale, The Wolverine promises & delivers a serviceable entertainment but lacks the x-factor that turns a good story great.