IMDb > Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Page 13 of 32: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

You were expecting Moliere?

Author: Jonny 99 from United States
18 November 2014

Didn't you always wonder what became of Hansel & Gretel after the witch killing covered by the fairy tale? No? OK, but wouldn't it be cool to take that fairy tale and marry it with a Stallone/schwarzenegger 80's action movie? No? OK, just shut off your frontal cortex and stare at the clearly demarcated good / bad guys and the inventive period sets and watch the action. With a name like "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" you get what you pay for, a short, self-conscious, action movie which doesn't worry about placing girls with machine guns in a medieval story without electric lights. Penicillin hasn't been discovered but insulin has luckily in time to save the likable and watchable Jeremy Renner. Only somewhat hiding his disdainful amusement for the proceedings Renner's Hansel drinks and carouses his way along with the innocuous Gemma Arteon who looks good against pretty nice sets for a moderately budgeted film. That budget paid for digital efforts better rendered than some films with 3 times the budget and the fights (and basically this is just a string of hunter vs witch battle royales) are clearly choreographed and follow-able. In short, "H&S: WH" doesn't rise above dumb entertainment but it doesn't disappoint either.

A good idea but the execution is just below average

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
31 October 2014

Now I really do believe that this film's premise is a really good one and there are some positives but I think overall this is a failure of a project. This sees the fairy tale characters of Hansel and Gretel years after the story as witch hunting bounty hunters attempting to stop an evil plot by the witches. Now Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton play Hansel and Gretel and they both do an okay job, now I like both of them in the stuff they have been in but they are not helped in this film by the script. For all the action and fight scenes they were awesome and really did a good job of being bounty hunters, however, the actual acting is pretty poor but they try their best and it helps a little bit. Now Famke Janssen plays the villain witch and I think she did a good job in her role by being as evil as truly possible and looking like she was enjoying the role. But the rest of the supporting cast is poor and underdeveloped, whether it is Renner's love interest, or the troll who helps Arterton or their town associate they are all lacklustre and a big negative in the film. This is also associated with the story because there are a few story arcs but they give no effort into any of them which is annoying cause there was some potential in some of them. The script is also not impressive with the dialogue not being that creative at all and attempting to sabotage the film quite a bit. The style of the film is great with the surprising amount of violence being a good decision to separate this film from others like it. Overall this film is below average and I wish there was a bit more substance to it as the premise was really cool.

Wasted opportunity

Author: avzwam
21 October 2014

This movie could have been a fun, crazy, humorous, lighthearted, silly movie and during moments it is that. It's for instance got a reference to The matrix and when you see witches riding their brooms through the forest it reminds me an awful lot of the famous scene in Return of the Jedi where the storm troopers are racing through the forest in a similar way. It's got exciting chase scenes of which one has a really cool moment where Hansel runs over a tree trunk in a really cool stunt. It's all silly and fun and it stays away from being too serious.

But it also has a scene where a witch forces a boy to shoot his mother in the stomach with a shotgun in front of his little sister; it's not fun. And that's what I feel the problem is with this movie; when it's dark, it's too dark and when it's serious, it's too serious. In other scenes the violence gets too grisly and nasty where characters are punched with brass knuckles and they get shot in the face... It's like it tries to be two different types of movies at once.

The production design is no less than great. It's shot well and the cast performs just fine. Its director though should have made better decisions in terms of what direction he wanted to take it all. He should have had a clearer vision as now the film is incongruous resulting in a movie which is strange in a bad way.

Which is too bad as I would have enjoyed the properly worked out lighthearted version of this very much indeed. I might even go so far as to say that that might have had the potential to be a classic.

Predictable and cheesy

Author: Yanick Rochon from Québec, Canada
14 June 2014

I actually only seen some previews a long while ago, and finally decided to watch it (June 2014) because it was on my "to watch" list. Oh! Was I disappointed! I actually had to force myself not to turn it off.

I imagined a film in some kind of "Sleepy Hollow", or "Brotherhood of the Wolf", or even "Stardust". Well, not quite. Instead, it is more like a "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"; the heroes feel out of place, even incoherent with their background, and the witches (there is no spoiler here, it is a witch hunting movie after all) are stereotyped and very much frustrating to watch. If you loved the series "Heroes", then you might not understand what I'm talking about. Otherwise, the main characters are like the main characters in "Heroes; kind of whiny, dull and childish; predictable and shallow.

The story does not let the viewer discover any intrigue, instead it lays out so many clues that once the plots are revealed, there is nothing to learn from the movie any more (and this point happens about 45 minutes before the movie actually ends). Worse! Most of the events are so coincidental that it was impossible for me to immerse myself in the story; I never saw any real threat to the main characters. Without revealing any plot, the main idea behind the story is not so much original, too, if you have seen a few movies before this one.

As for the acting, imagine living in the 15th century, chasing witches with other farmers and townspeople, to see these punks swearing (i.e. f work) and coming about carrying 20th century weapons. Then, chasing witches a la marvel style; being tossed around in ways that it would kill any normal human beings, or at least injure then very badly, etc.

Alright, but I did give it 3 out of 10. Apart from the childish movie intro, this movie is NOT for kids. There is gore and people dying... added some partial nudity and pretty scary faces for children to see. This is not a Disney movie and aims more at teenagers. And, despite my remarks on the main characters, they are not as annoying as all the other movies aimed at teens (i.e. Twilight, The Green Lantern, etc.), as the actors are slightly more mature and, thus, do not act like spoiled teen brats.

A movie to watch if nothing else more interesting.

Glad I didn't pay for this one

Author: pas_deloup from United States
13 April 2014

Hanzel and Gretal: Witch Hunters was alright. It's not a staggering work of genius, but it's not the worst movie I've seen. It's about the brother and sister whose father abandons them in a forest and they end up going to a house made out of candy where a witch tries to eat them, but they get the best of witch, you know the story... OR DO YOU? Eventually they grow up and become professional witch hunters and who get hired by villages to hunt down witches with maximum prejudice. This sounds kinda awesome, but it's not, mainly because it's predictable. The main lessons I got from this movie: Pretty people aren't evil, in one of the opening scene Hanzel and Gretal arrive at a village to find that the villagers are going to burn a supposed witch. Hanzel proceeds to declare that witches have physical deformities (not the exact words) and that this one is totally fine, so he and Gretal make the sheriff of the village let her go. Torture is okay, well maybe, at one point they have a witch in custody and in order to get info out of her they proceed to punch her in the face. Violence is okay, but not affection, of course Hanzel ends up sleeping with the first witch, but even though they don't show any uh... tenderness there's no problem with showing people's heads getting crushed like grapes, which to be be fair was kinda cool. I didn't like the super fake blood, but I bet that's part of the 3Dness. There's a lot of elements that are obviously meant to be seen in 3D, which is lame because it makes the movie look cheesier than it actually is, plus it also reinforces that 3D is still just a gimmick. Good troll though. One of the things I liked the best about this movie is the details to stuff, there's cool weapons and the witches look bad ass and there's lots of variety in them. Also, witch Kung Fu. Witch Fu. I would watch that. Hanzel and Gretal: Witch Hunters is good fodder for watching with someone who appreciate cheesy movies, rest assured that this review would've been much worse if I had actually paid to see this movie.

You have to be in the mood, and I was in the mood! Very entertaining.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
25 February 2014

I probably would not have hunted down this DVD but I usually watch everything my public library gets, and I enjoy both Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton. I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoyed "Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter."

The most known version of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale has the stepmother convincing their dad that the kids eat too much and with a great famine at hand their only (selfish) means of survival is to take the kids into the deep forest and abandon them. After the second abandonment the kids were not able to get back home, found the gingerbread and candy house of the blind witch, were captured and fattened so that she could eat them. But she was out-foxed and they were able to throw the witch into the fire and burn her.

This movie begins with that same theme, and we see the witch burned. But most of the movie takes place when the kids had grown up and achieved a reputation as witch hunters. In fact they had destroyed hundreds of them. Jeremy Renner is the adult Hansel and Gemma Arterton is his adult sister Gretel.

But the region is now threatened by a more powerful witch, Famke Janssen as Muriel. With the upcoming blood moon which will attract many witches Hansel and Gretel have their work cut out for them. Fortunately they find Pihla Viitala as the good witch Mina. And a very large troll, Derek Mears as Edward, who had been in service to Muriel, ends up helping them.

This is just a fairy tale and if you are in the right mood can be very entertaining. I was entertained!

A Dark Romp with Good Production Values

Author: atlasmb from United States
13 January 2014

This film is not classified in the "comedy" genre, but you can consider it a dark comedy. We learn this early on, when we see glass milk bottles with ads for missing children strapped to them. But this is not a film designed for children.

Once you decide not to take this film too seriously, you can accept the anachronisms (like shotguns) and just enjoy Hansel and Gretel for what it is--a special effects romp that has its tongue firmly planted in its cheek. Look for the references to Predator, The Matrix, Star Wars, Assassins Creed, and the entire genre that Underworld's Kate Beckinsale has established.

There is not much depth in the story. And no surprises, really. But here is a list of things I liked about this film:

*It's production values. Quality all around.

*The fact that it was not difficult to follow the action, even during the dimly lit scenes.

*The music, which was moody and sometimes drove the action.

If you take this film seriously, then you will not be able to get past the fact that the witches have such tremendous powers that their enemies would have no chance against them.

The most enjoyable aspect of the film is the troll--a masterpiece of design and invention, an enjoyable character.

Sequels are on the way.

A bit short, but it was much, much better than i imagined.

Author: Jens Fagerberg from Sweden
2 January 2014

I stumbled across this movie on the TV and had nothing else to watch, so i saw it.

And my general opinion on this movie is that it was rather good. I think they really did well getting the different themes to go together. You had your fairytale witches on their trolls and stupid trolls but you also have "modern" weapons imbued with spells and with a taste of steampunk. On top of this, splatter, which i know is special and not everyone likes it.

But if you like these things, don't hesitate to watch the movie. The only downside was that it was way to short and everything happened very fast.

Pretty entertaining

Author: SanteeFats from United States
28 December 2013

Interesting variation on the old fairy tale. Offspring of a grand good witch and a human Hansel and Gretel are grown ups now and hunt witches for money. They end up returning to their home town. It is under attack by witches stealing the 12 children that are needed for a grand blood moon rite that would make witches immune to fire. The witches also need the heart of a grand white witch which just happens to reside in Gretel. The weapons they dreamed up for this movie were very interesting, from repeating crossbows, rifles (I guess), to a machine gun at the end. Hansel hooks up with a white witch and she is very instrumental in eventually wiping out all the witches that have come from all over the world to be in the rite. Alas she dies. The troll, Edward, is saved by Gretel and helps free the children, kill some witches, and generally help out. He then joins the witch slaying gang after all the attending witches have been eliminated as they continue to hunt the surviving witches. Some humor, a lot of gore, a nice pool scene, all in all watchable.

Underestimated and entertaining

Author: Emelia Jones from Australia
20 December 2013

I watched this movie recently and didn't understand the overall negative response to it. Not only is it pure entertainment, there are a few intelligent parts that are never mentioned. Due to the childhood incident with the witch at the beginning of the movie, hansel (played with dryness by Jeremy renner) now has diabetes which is a smart and reasonable aspect that may have resulted by this occurrence. Secondly, there's a delightful and rare use of steampunk (that is basically featuring futuristic aspects in an older more traditional setting). As a lot of people have complained and apparently found plot holes with the new ageism of the guns in this movie as according to the 18th-19th century timeline, they have failed to do their research as this aspect is actually a theme in books and cinema and was used in van helsing and other movies. Gemma arteron and Jeremy renner have a nice chemistry and the supporting cast are solid and do their jobs. I found the film to be utterly entertaining and is a dark but refreshing take to the light and kid friendly fairy tales that people who are giving this film a bad wrap obviously think they're seeing. To conclude, this movie was a smart and creative idea showing a grown up fairytale and features a female just as strong and badass as her male sibling (this fact also seems to be overlooked). As long as you aren't expecting an award winning movie you'll enjoy this turn on a child's fairytale. Don't judge this movie before you see it or understand it, it's a firm 8 for me.