IMDb > Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Page 12 of 29: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

The most fun movie I have seen in a while!

Author: Prolox from Canada
4 July 2013

Left alone by their father in the deep dark woods, two children stumble upon a candy house & are abducted by a wicked witch. Tortured, scared & forced to eat candy almost non stop (which forces one of the kids to get diabetes) the witch attempts to eat them, but the tables are turned when the kids wind up cooking her in the oven. Now grown up, they are not seeking psychiatric help for the horrible thing they seen & did, but rather have decided that slaying witches is fun & are still hunting & slaying them well into adult hood. But their biggest fight is yet to come, when a very powerful, almost invincible evil witch, starts abducting the children of a small village & killing off all those who dare enter her neck of the woods. Hansel & Gretel have been able to stop any form of evil that has come across their path, but this time it just may be them that winds up dead.

Classical story is basically turned on it's head & as a result the film winds up being tons of fun! the witches make-up is really scary & clever, with their rotting skin & demonic eyes that makes them look like refugees from THE EVIL DEAD! the film thankfully never skimps on the gore as there is plenty of it here & tons of action. The film starts off with a bang & honestly never lets up from first frame till last. The stunts & fight scenes are very well coordinated. The set designs are well done & the characters for the most part are pretty fun & interesting to watch. Held up multiple times in production & dumped in theatres in Janurary, HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS thankfully did very well at the box office, good word of mouth also helped the film become popular amongst genre fans & the film never takes it's premise seriously, resulting in a real fun time for horror fans. FAMKE JENSEN is great fun as the witch & Friday The 13th (2009) actor DEREK MEARS (Who played Jason in that film) does very well as her troll slave. Great score as well. Highly recommended for fans of the genre. HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS is great fun!

**** stars

action filled,thrilling,good graphics and a modest script

Author: Loopnova
30 June 2013

i'm neither a fan of action movies nor do I like those modern remakes of fairy tales but despite all that this still managed to win me over.it was nothing like I had expected it to be.i figured it's going to be a kids movie with the whole witch hunter concept to make it cooler,but I was dead off.

the action in the whole movie was just epic.it has a lot of gore.witches' heads flying off.there's a lot of cursing and some nudity so well you have been warned.the script was modest.not the most impressive script ever but it still was enough to keep you engaged.what really made the movie great was the acting and the whole chemistry between Hansel and Gretel.they really convinced me.i loved Jeremy Renner as Hansel but I was most impressed with Gemma Arterton.i have never sen any of her other stuff so I was shocked at her acting ].she did a really good job.

the movie also had some negatives.it was a little predictable.it might have gotten a little lost on the audience it was targeting.fairy tale means kids,blood and gore means teenagers nudity means at least 18.so it's a reason for the slightly low rating I loved it because it was a kickass action movie with really good graphics and it still managed to maintain a story and keep it relevant.basically means that if you took away the action the story would still be enough to intrigue you.a lot of blood and gore so you should probably keep that in mind....that said it was a badass movie period

Good action/story, few items out of place.

Author: bdb-703-588861
26 June 2013

I enjoyed watching the movie. Overall good story, good action. It all starts with Hansel and Gretel getting lost in the woods, and ends up getting captured by a witch in a house made out of candy. Their is plenty of action, and the story is well-rounded (what is told, and left for mystery throughout the movie, is later revealed towards the end). I'd say there is no loose-ends here, and it is a good thriller/twist on the tale of Hansel and Gretel. However, like most movies or stories, they are not without their imperfections.

The tech used to combat the witches, makes a good twist for the time period this story is told in, I'd say, somewhere in beginnings of the gunpowder age. The automatic cross bow, and the rifle are a perfect fit for a movie such as this, however, I think its safe to say that the .270 caliber rounds that were depicted to be used with Hansel's guns, did not quite fit in very well, and I think something akin to the bullet used in the end to bring the evil witch down should have been more of a proper design for a movie of this caliber. Although this is not a huge disappointment or any at all, it will likely stick out like a sore thumb to a firearm fanatic.

Good Non-thought Provoking Fun

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
25 June 2013

Fun and energetic beginning – kind of lost me near the end. This is one of those flicks that is non-stop action from the get-go. Witches had no chance against this brother and sister team. No matter what the challenge – H & G hacked and slashed and shot their way out of every predicament. There was no stopping them. Oh and the plot. Well the plot was like this. It was real easy and pretty much straight-forward and in-your-face: a bad witch picks on Hansel and Gretel; H & G get very, very angry, and that same witch is toast. From that point on – no witch stands a chance. This flick is pretty much a thoughtless action flick – just the way I want them.

Entertaining and fun

Author: NimbusK from India
20 June 2013

To be frank, I wasn't expecting much out of this movie. Since this is based on a fairy tale, assumed it to be an average action movie. But to my surprise, it was fun to watch. Entertaining at every point and I must say what awesome graphics and effects. The fight sequences, bodies bursting out and blood flying all around, lot of energy has gone into making this one I must say.It kept me glued into my seat till the end.

Also I love Gemma, she's one of the best looking actresses around. She's totally into fights, action, beating the hell out of witches in this one. Jeremy on the other hand is tough as in his all other movies and Famke, well she does her part very well.

All in all, if you have a slight thought of giving a shot of watching this one, go ahead, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Brother And Sister Crew

Author: chmpgnrose from United States
20 June 2013

Two siblings circa the year 1692 during the witch trials of Salem, Massachusetts to hunt witches and were hired to rescue abducted children. It does not stay true to the original German folk fairy tale recorded by Brothers Grimm's 1812 book.

What intrigues me of this movie is how these two have a portable device that serves as both defibrillator and taser in this time period? This period of time there were no electricity.

In their childhood to be abducted and held captive by a witch being forced to consume candy has made Hansel a diabetic with hourly insulin injections pen through clothes. I believe the character Gretel also developed an eating disorder for eating too much candy in her adult years. I was hoping to see incantations recited or grimoires by witches, nevertheless the special effects for flying on brooms and using the forest in her favor were still good. A two person crew has a solid close relationship.

Great fun!

Author: bsvends1 from Norway
20 June 2013

This movie does exactly what it sets out to do - give you a hilarious, fun (and silly) and entertaining 98 minutes (including credits). It has no ambition to be taken seriously and the haters here are so off base it's funny. If you take this movie for what it is, you'll like it. Quality production, decent acting and plenty of well-directed action that never gets boring. Cool effects, both sound and visual, in fact this movie's soundtrack is excellent. The story is very simple and dialog is sometimes a bit silly, but do you really care in a movie like this?

If you don't like over-the-top adventure/fairy-tale/fantasy, you're at the wrong movie, if you do, you'll like this one. 7/10.

just what i was expecting...FUN!!!

Author: missmomosa from United States
20 June 2013

I had been waiting to see this one for one because I am a Renner fan and because it's a kick A** fairy tale story.....I'm wasn't concerned with the bad reviews because it's called Hansel and Gretel...lol...like how deep are you expecting them to go with a fairy tale....I liked this one a lot, it was fun, action packed, had a story that you could follow and they kick butt....if u wasn't a movie that you don't have to think too hard about...has action and Jeremy Renner....enough said....but if you are prissy, looking for a stellar story about witches then this isn't for you.....

Famke was awesome and I enjoyed her portrayal of the witch....I'm going to own this one for those nights when I want a fun movie to watch.

Fully Loaded!

Author: simon-d-cesair
18 June 2013

You might like this movie if you enjoyed: Snow White: A Tale of Terror (1997), Red Riding Hood (2011), Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)

The story: Hansel and Gretel find themselves left alone in the woods by their father. They discover a gingerbread house, not knowing that an evil witch lives in it who eats children. The witch catches them and locks them in a cage, but luckily, Gretel can outsmart her, and pushes her in her own oven. Many year later the two have become bounty hunters and known as the famous witch hunters Hansel and Gretel. Their latest mission: 11 children have been missing from a village and the mayor wants the siblings to track them down. The two are sure that witches are involved.

Review: Like many fantasy movies in 2013 Hansel and Gretel was not as successful as expected. I remember that it was supposed to be released some time in 2012, but it was postponed. My guess is they didn't want to compete with Snow White and The Huntsman and Mirror Mirror. But they should have, because neither of these two movies was as fast- paced, or held as much action as this one. The movie doesn't have much of a story or great dialogues but that's not important, because it has everything else: Great graphics, over-the top gore – which works in this case-, a sexy cast, creepy villains, and lots and lots of action. It is definitely a trip you don't want to miss, if you need a movie that won't make you fall asleep.

Rating: 6.5/10

For more reviews please check out my blog and like my facebook page! http://www.simonsayswatchthis.wordpress.com http://www.facebook.com/simonsayswatchthis

Many flaws but still fun!

Author: Rice180
16 June 2013

I was expecting a bad maybe terrible movie but this wasn't half bad. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters takes place years after the siblings burned the witch that tried to eat them. They go around the world hunting and killing witches to work out their stress when they come across a town who's children have been disappearing for months. This is a one of a kind film where half the population would love it while the other half would hate it. The film itself is filled with spectacular visual effects and I praise the cast for their memorable acting. Yet the plot still doesn't fit together as it probably borrowed a lot of it's material from 2005's The Brothers Grimm. I give the film credit as it tries to make it an original film based off the original Grimm story of Hansel & Gretel but the film still has weak moments that bring it down just a bit.