IMDb > Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Page 11 of 31: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Enjoyable, If you allow it to be

Author: ClicerioMP from México
4 February 2013

There are many kinds of movies. Movies are like food. You don't go to a fast food restaurant waiting to get a wonderful, elegant and nutritional meal. Maybe, you just want a hamburger like those they make. That does not mean that you can't enjoy good food, even that you are acknowledged of the art of the best cuisine, but neither that every "happy meal" is by definition "scrap".

This is an entertaining movie: well manufactured, mostly pretty well directed and constructed in a very simple, coherent and "easy to tell" story that does not intend to be a classic children's tale, or a state of the art piece of the immortal cinematography.

Grimms' tale is just a starting point of a new story, addressed with a lot of fantasy, which keeps you interested as the time goes by, showing a resourcefulness variety of creative fighting scenes, funny situations, and great art and character design, among others worthy to watch things.

Indeed, like any "commercial" movie, has some weakness in acting, very unintelligent dialogues, and clichés, however, they are just a few.

Finally, for those who wrote that there is plenty of "gore" in the movie, I have to say that blood is keep within decent parameters, far away from Anime, zombies, Spartans and recent Stallone's features. Certainly, it is not a movie for children under 10, in my opinion.

Buy your ticket, grab your popcorn, and open your mind to have some fun.

P.D. Hope my English is good enough for you. Thanks.

Stunning Gemma Arterton....

Author: GoodMovieGuy from Surabaya, Indonesia
2 February 2013

Actually this film deserve about 7, if not for Gemma Arterton. She is fun to watch, not a bad actress too. Beautiful and deadly. For Jeremy Renner, he delivers his usual great performance. The chemistry between the two characters is good but I think it could be explored more. They were convincingly enough to be a great witch hunter. Now about the movie, the storyline is pretty usual. But the approach is quite different. It was darker and more real. Of course there are plot holes but they can be ignored. The witches are frighteningly real. The actions are bloody and fun to watch. I watch this film in 2D Cinema, but I think it will look better in 3D. A lot of scenes were made with 3D in mind. So I recommend to watch this film in 3D. All in all, this film is worth your money.

Excellent medieval fairytale

Author: psysword from United States
1 February 2013

What a way to bring one of my favorite German fairy tales to life. It was superbly executed and right from the beginning had my interest with the forest narrative, and its heavy leanings on its German origin, made it that much more authentic. The support staff, mostly from Middle Europe were wonderful, and lent authenticity to the whole story play. The weapons were outrageous for the time period, but possessed enough home-made effect for it to be somewhat believable. The insulin shot taking Hans was a great message to Americans to cut their sugar. Overall the action was spot on, and everything about the movie screamed quality. The actors didn't really stand out in the movie but moved like integral parts and in harmony. No one really stole the show here, but that just allowed the whole movie to be a great experience of harmony. The all German technical production of this movie shines with sweet special effects, and the music gels well with the movie. I'm not sure if it was Hans Zimmer on this movie, as i saw a host of other musicians too listed along with him. I'm sure they coordinated to bring a very seamless music production/ score to arouse our passions at appropriate moments, and it was beautifully done. The setting of a German forest was very appropriate, and I saw this movie in IMAX, and I urge everyone else to do the same. Unforgettable!

Bubble bubble, toil and trouble.....

Author: jadagirl from Caribbean
30 January 2013

I've always been a fan of the Grimm Fairy Tales being done exactly how they were supposed to be done: dark, foreboding, action packed, not cutsie. As with the others, "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" delivers. The action itself is fast paced, starting from the demise of the very first witch to the destruction of the coven and future witches, an actual thrill a minute. Of course the 3D effects were also great, adding to the overall feel of the movie.

However the downside was that the movie lacked character development. Yes, we saw the real reason why they were left in the woods. And it did sort of explain their "hidden assets" which made them good hunters, but I actually found myself rooting for Muriel (head witch played by the Famke Janssen) half of the time. But then again that could be my warped mind...

In the end I gave this movie a 7/10. I'd watch it again, just not in the theater again.

Ridiculous

Author: Jason Civet from Wonderland
10 July 2013

I would give it 1, but there was that big guy, I liked him.

I liked Jeremy ever since Unusuals, but this movie and his role - unbelievable.

Gemma is very sweet, I like her too - but this movie and her role - Jesus Christ almighty.

This is categorized as action-fantasy-horror. True. But of the horror part, the scariest was at the end, when Jeremy said that they will always be there...that sounded like part two, and that is really scary.

So, the movie is pure 1, but I give it 2 for Gemma, Famke (both are beautiful) and Jeremy. Jeremy is not beautiful though :)

Mildly Entertaining

Author: rebecca-ry from North Lanarkshire, Scotland
12 March 2013

'Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters' is a dark re-telling of the popular fairy tale where two siblings are captured by a witch. The twist in this film? Hansel and Gretel are now adults and are professional witch hunters.

The original fairy tale is pretty dark as it is, child abandonment, kidnapping, attempted cannibalism, people being burned alive, this film tries to make it darker simply by splashing blood all over the place… and that's about it. The fairy tale has been adapted to tie in very cleverly with their latest mission and it isn't that far-fetched; it makes sense, there's some good plot twists and it isn't too stupid. The stupidity comes in other forms; you've got electricity, gramophones, tasers, and oh yeah, insulin! I still don't understand why it was necessary to include the fact that Hansel has diabetes as a result of the infamous witch feeding him too many sweets as a child. Note that in the flashbacks he wasn't really overweight at all. The insulin we see him inject into himself throughout the film appears to have the same effect on him as spinach had to Popeye. Despite this weird addition, the film is fairly entertaining though it is fairly naff. The fight scenes are graphic but interesting and at some points are pretty funny.

The acting is okay, Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton do all that they need to do here but their performances aren't anything memorable. Famke Janssen is probably the best in it but even her performance can be a bit embarrassing at times. Maybe if director Tommy Wirkola sent everyone a memo telling them what accent was necessary it would have been better. There were American accents, English and even German – with Gemma Arterton switching between English and American throughout the film.

Overall, 'Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters' is mildly entertaining but it is pretty forgettable. If you just want to watch a film with absolutely no thinking involved and you just want to relax with some popcorn and have a chuckle at heads being squashed, then this is perfect.

B-Movie and proud - An absurd idea played straight enough to just about work as action horror

Author: Sergio Campanale from United Kingdom
27 February 2013

Delayed for a year to cash in on the "Renner" effect, this movie is finally here (in the UK anyway, later than a lot of countries but that's often the case)

It's hard to know what one can expect of a film like this. Another in the ever growing "modern spin on the fairy tale" cycle, this film evades the usual updated psycho-sexual variations of the story that have existed for a long time to go for a simple "what if?" future where the siblings become a sort of Van Helsing style professional witch killers, bringing them in on a case that becomes a "countdown to doom" scenario as the witches prepare for a once in a generation ceremony that will make them immune to fire (rather like Vampires seeking immunity from sunlight situation) During this case they will also (A) Discover things about themselves and their own past (B) Discover that not all witches are evil, some fight for good (C) Have to confront their own prejudices in light of B (D) Face old nemesis supreme head witch Muriel, connected to their past tragedy (E) Befriend a misunderstood Ogre (F) Patiently tolerate an obsessed fan boy (G) Save some kids marked for death at Muriel's ceremony. Much violence and gore will follow. Anachronistic weapons will be fired, colourful witches will be slaughtered in mass, and warm, lovable, gay spirited people with "dead meat" written on their foreheads will naturally die to raise our revenge driven bloodlust as our heroes deal violent justice to the unholy.

Refreshingly, the film doesn't pussy out for a neutered PG13 family friendly rating (a terrible cinema sin that film companies are increasingly going against) but instead heads for "Evil Dead" territory, with over the top gore, absurdly violent deaths, nudity and swearing, all in 3D, which is quite well used here, with depth between objects and speed/space during fast action scenes thoroughly planned and set up.

Despite the high budget, this is unashamedly a B-movie in Corman and Troma traditions, and never aims to be more than dumb fun, despite various stabs at genuine emotion and pathos throughout. The film's famed production history attests to its schizophrenic nature. Born as an out and out Gothic comedy from the Ferell-Mackay stable, it apparently pulled up when the similar "Your Highness" tanked (understandable given that it was a decently made movie torpedoed by a scattershot improv style that didn't suit it) and was retooled as an "Evil Dead" style comedy horror under the direction of Norwegian pulper Tommy Wirkola. As a result, the films tone and approach veer violently from out and out absurdist comedy to serious supernatural horror drama. One moment it's Mel Brooks, the next it's "Blade" or "Van Helsing", and the seams are quite visible. Kudos to Wirkola and team for playing such an absurd idea straight, giving us an entertaining Saturday night movie rather than a DOA would be comedy, and since its only raison d'etre is some bloody popcorn fun then it succeeds.

Cast wise it features good actors slumming it. Gemma Arterton is back with an American accent (I guess it was either Renner doing British or her doing American…She must have had the better accent) playing her usual ballsy tough chick thing, though this time using actual weapons and violence. Jeremy Renner, not yet a new action star when this rolled, seems rather bored by the whole thing, and his character is highly unlikeable and unsympathetic (I get he's meant to be, but he went FULL asshole here!). Villain duties are pulled by the great Famke Janssen, who was upfront about just doing it to pay off her debts, but she still delivers the goods here. Her Muriel is like X-Men 3's Phoenix but without the conflict and inner turmoil. She's bad, she's ultra-powerful and she's having fun, though the lovely Famke is just her Human disguise, with nasty powder blue zombie being her natural look. Peter Stormare is back again with another in his gallery of over the top villains as the town sheriff who fears Hansel and Gretel more than he does the witches, and gets an extremely unpleasant end. Finnish beauty Pihla Viitala does well as the very red headed good witch Mina (she even colour coordinates her outfits to match her red hair) who becomes a love interest to Hansel and the one who makes him face his prejudices, and her character earns our care as the story progresses.

The special effects are also very good, especially the Witches make up and the animatronic Ogre Edward, which like "Your Highness" are mostly practical and physical (Edward seems to come from the same designer who made "YH"s beautiful animatronic Minotaur) Blood and gore is done via CGI, which makes even lashings of red seem silly and inoffensive. One day horror producers will go back to jam and corn syrup and butcher's offal for real hurl stomach churning vileness, but not here alas.

The film has been a big success in America, and our preview screening was packed, so I guess the gamble paid off. Worth watching if you want to see an adult cartoon in the "Blade" mould (though nowhere near as good) that'll add nothing to your life but might give you 90 minutes occasional fun.

Scattershot Grimm fairy tale 're-imagining'

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
6 February 2013

HANSEL & GRETEL : WITCH HUNTERS (2013) ** Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen, Peter Stormare Pihla Viitala, Thomas Mann, Derek Mears, Robin Atkin Downes (voice), Zoe Bell. Scattershot Grimm fairy tale 're-imagining' with the titular victims of a witch's attempt to devour flash forward to become vigilante bounty hunters on the evil creatures while attempting to help a village plagued with kidnappings and sorcery. While the leads as siblings have zip chemistry and the try-anything-go-for-broke-anachronisms-aplenty by newbie filmmaker Tommy Wirkola is hit-and-miss the film has its appeal in at least being better than "Van Helsing" - and some not-bad on screen kills with plenty of viscera! and a sexy/scary turn by Janssen with some affective CGI and cool make-up by Twilight Creations - even the IMAX 3D doesn't truly disappoint, its the fact that this is executive produced by Will Ferrell's (!) production company that fails to get any yucks when it could've easily gone the Monty Python route.

When in doubt, go for Jeremy Renner

Author: Tara Fouts (heartinstone@yahoo.com) from United States
5 February 2013

Left in the woods as children, Hansel and Gretel grow up to become infamous witch hunters after encountering one in a house of candy when they were abandoned. They're hired to help find eleven missing children, who were said to be taken by witches. But they find out even more about their past, and learn more about themselves than they choose to know.

This was a sweet take on Hansel and Gretel, a beloved grimm fairy tale we all knew as kids. You know the story, two kids were abandoned by their father in the woods. They come upon a house of candy, and a witch lives inside. The witch makes Gretel fatten Hansel up so he could be eaten, but they kill the witch and escape.

But in Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, the story doesn't end there. In fact, the story continues on to say that they become infamous witch hunters, known all across the land for hunting terrible witches and other dark magic. When a mayor of a little town hires them to take control of the search for eleven missing children (said to be taken by witches), their job doesn't get easier.

They kick a lot of ass and take a lot of names, but these are some strong witches. It was one thing I liked about this movie. Hansel and Gretel weren't technical invincible, so they didn't always win. And the witches? They were creepy! The design of these witches was very creative, and I'm sure it was definitely creepy to see in 3D.

I really liked the original take of this classic fairy tale. Renner and Arterton had very good chemistry together on screen. Both characters were very well developed and played out. The script was great as well, the dialogue flowed well and the humor was spot on. Case in point, if you liked movies like Brothers Grimm and Van Helsing, You'll like Hansel and Gretel. If not, just go for the very fact that Jeremy Renner is in it.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters — Action and magic in the medieval times

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
7 February 2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is an action hero movie set in the dark ages. It's a roller coaster with almost non-stop fighting.

The premise of the movie is quite interesting, and well developed. The special effects are top- notch, the sets very immersive, the camera moves just right, and the soundtrack solid.

However, the story is weak, the suspense even more so, the dialogs are no more than minimalist, and the characters very shallow, but well acted.

All of that being said, it's still excellent entertainment, especially on a large screen. The 3D is very well done, no panning at all. I saw it in IMAX, and I wasn't disappointed.

Want your action fantasy fix? That's what it's for.