IMDb > The Human Race (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Human Race

The Human Race More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Ratings must be rigged - don't waste your time

Author: EddyOne from Frankfurt, Germany
28 December 2013

I'm just writing this review to counter some of the other obviously faked reviews written here. I was tricked to watch this movie too, because it had a rating of 7.3 with over a 1000 ratings. So I thought this could be a solid piece of horror/splatter. But it's not. I assure you, it's not. You will be disappointed after watching it, because it's painfully bad. And I don't mean bad as in "The Tourist" bad, it's just cheap filmmaking by people who don't know what they're doing. This can't be the work of professionals. Bad acting, bad dialog, bad lightning, bad camera, bad cinematography, bad special effects... complete senseless directing, conclusion, story(telling).... It's just a piece of trash. Yes it's that bad. And I'm writing this only to save you from losing over 1hour of your life. And to restore justice to the rating/review system of IMDb. You're welcome.

terrible movie

Author: daveydave from Canada
23 December 2013

i'm honestly just writing this because of the high score and 2 rave reviews obviously written by people involved with the project. i feel like i was duped into watching it. so here's an honest review: this is a terrible movie. it's poorly written, and badly acted. only exception is the deaf girl. she wasn't bad, given the material she had to work with.

it's just lazy filmmaking, seems like. says nothing about the human condition (as purported from the existing reviews), only the sophomoric insight of a film-school reject who saw one too many eli roth movies.

seriously, avoid at all costs.

"1 (aweful)"...yea that pretty much sums it up.

Author: john gavin from United States
25 December 2013

This movie is silly, discombobulated, childish and poorly acted. Everyone in this movie feels like an extra on an after-school special, made for T.V. movie. After the first 20 minutes I wanted everyone to step on the grass. There are several failed attempts at moral, religious and racist ideologies. It is obvious that a substantial portion of the budget and time spent on this movie was used to beef-up their IMDb rating.

Don't waste your time.

Blah.

Blah.

Awful, don't waste your time on this crap!!

Author: Salim from Lebanon
28 December 2013

First of all, I just wanted to vote for this movie and let it go, but I felt really guilty after reading some delusional reviews on here, and its rate of 6.3 which will fool you and make you watch this huge crap. I'm so surprised with some users who gave it a 10, they're probably a part of this film, or maybe they were drunk while writing their reviews. And the real question is how on Earth did it get a 6.3 rate among over 1000 of users, like what is wrong with people's attitude nowadays?! Now let's talk about this movie, the acting was not that bad, the special effects were very bad, the story was nonsense, or I'd prefer saying that this movie didn't even have a story. It started with a girl whose mother and sister died because of cancer, and when she knew she was affected with it, she raised her middle finger to God, but what's shocking is that the next time she visited the doctor, she was told she COMPLETELY recovered from Cancer without any treatment and for an unknown reason, and she walked by and thanked God. This is the first nonsense event in this movie. What happens next is that many people found themselves in an unknown place and they can't remember how did that happen, and they all were in the same place when that happened. Then people start running during the whole movie. There were two deaf couple at that incident, and for some reason a "miracle" happened and they could hear again. Another senseless event in this movie. Let's now talk about the rules of this race, if you step on grass your head will blow up, if you get passed by someone twice your head will blow up, if you don't obey the directions your head will blow up too!! All what you'll see is heads blowing up, for an unknown reason, running and running for another unknown reason. Then people will start killing each other and that annoying voice will be continuously counting down how much people are still alive. At the end you'll be left with, as usual, a senseless ending. Your questions won't be answered, you won't know why and how all this crap happened, and you won't even know what happens to the only survivor. To sum up, this is one of the worst movies ever made, it lacks everything, and you'll probably regret wasting one and a half hour of your life on it. I already wasted my time watching it and now writing a review about it, hoping it helps and saves your time. So don't listen to any of these misleading reviews, and save your time and money for a better reason.

Time not-so-well wasted

Author: likeninja
27 December 2013

There were some serious flaws in with the mentality of a bunch of poorly developed characters racing for their life (many not giving the impression they actually wanted to live - unconvincing in their actions). The overall plot, acting, attempted and overused effects were very sub-par.

After actually sitting through this mess (pop, pop, splat), it eventually concluded the absolute wrong direction (I won't reveal anything, in case someone else wants to donate some of their downtime taking this in - personally, I want my 1+ hour back).

So as one of the other reviewers mentioned - much of the time spent on this movie was likely ramping up the IMDb rating and writing some rave reviews. Sorry to the fans, but as we're all entitled to an opinion, I will definitely be steering clear of any sequel, prequel, or literary releases, and at your own discretion, you have been warned - so depending how valuable your time is to you...

And now for something else...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
23 December 2013

As much as I tried to take "The Human Race" seriously, I found it progressively more and more difficult to do so. Because there was absolutely no storyline here. It was just a simple plot about people having to run and follow some simple rules or they would die.

That was basically the entire storyline. But wait, there is more. Once the winner of the race was found, the movie took a turn for the worse, becoming even more ludicrous then it had been up to that point. I am not going to give away any spoilers here, and whether or not you like that turn of events is of course individual. I, personally, didn't care for that at all.

There were some nice aspects to the movie. Such in the likes of some displays of human behavior in certain situations. Now, I don't really think that people would succumb to that kind of behavior in that short a period. But still, for the sake of entertainment (and this is a movie after all), then it worked out nicely enough.

The movie has a fair amount of blood and violence, which sort of semi makes up for the lack of a proper storyline.

"The Human Race" is not heavy on acting. This is basically just a movie about racing. So don't expect anything major in the drama and talent department.

This movie is not for just everyone, and I certainly wasn't amongst those who would claim to love this movie right away. Having seen it once is enough for me, and I can honestly say that I will not be watching it a second time.

The best thing about the movie had to be the genius of the title, it worked out in more than one way. I was just waiting for a voice to announce "Watch this movie, or die. Like this movie, or die."

Truly, badly, deeply awful.

Author: (mike-thornbury) from United Kingdom
30 January 2014

Just terrible.

Really, don't bother.

It isn't even worth pirating, it's that bad.

You would spend better time cleaning the tiles in your bathroom with an old toothbrush.

I I could go back in time and unwatch it, I would - although that is only about 35 minutes - which was about 15 minutes too far. I was hoping it would get better, but it just didn't.

How did someone manage to get funding for such a piece of dross as this? Surely there would be better things that VC could do with money than to fund something like this - just go to any of the crowdsource early investment sites. Your money would be put to a better use and you might even make the world a better place.

A missed opportunity

Author: synthboy2000 from New Zealand
5 April 2014

I went into this with an open mind. I'd caught the trailer on YouTube and it looked intriguing, reminiscent, I thought of "The Long Walk" (a guilty pleasure of mine). I'd also read some of the reviews, the ones slating the poor acting and low budget. I've seen some great movies with low budgets and poor acting ("Tunnel" or "The Poughkeepsie Tapes" for example) so I figured that maybe there might be a hidden gem here, one overlooked by all the haters. Sadly I was wrong.

The trivia section suggests that this was filmed over the course of several years and it shows. Not only does the plot (what there is of it) feel very disjointed but the whole style seems to alter almost randomly. Often it feels as if the director has read about a new technique and just wants to experiment with it. Some of these techniques such as the hand-held camera in the office chairs are actually pretty neat but because the director doesn't stick with one style throughout the film loses any sense of unity.

There's also the issue with the plot. There are a couple of lengthy flashbacks that seem to serve no purpose later on, as if the writer changed his mind about the film's direction after they'd been filmed. Then, once the film proper is underway he brings it neatly under control before realising he doesn't know what to do next. So, he changes direction again, upping the action and gore in a truly ludicrous fashion (the fight scene with the amputee veteran is probably the nadir of the film in this regard).

However, in amongst all this there are some good points. The performances might not be Oscar worthy but they are solid enough and some of the relationships are nicely drawn, especially between the two veterans and also the deaf couple. There are also a couple of nice scenes, notably with the pregnant woman and the cyclist and the old marine and the veteran. There's also the setting with its seemingly random safe spots and oppressing atmosphere.

But then we come to the reveal. This is where it lost most of its points. Up until this point this has been a mildly intriguing look at the way people interact under stress. There are some nods towards religion and to modern society that hint that maybe this film has a point to make, some sort of message to impart. Had the reveal somehow linked to this, even in a way I disagreed about, I might have seen some worth in this enterprise. Instead the reveal turns the whole film into little more than a genre film (and a cheap genre film with rubbish CGI at that). There's nothing wrong with being a genre film but you're going to need to do a whole lot better than this if you want to stand up against the far better examples that are out there (eg "Battle Royale").

Race with a twist: popping head frenzy

Author: jerry07 from United States
16 March 2014

The acting is not great and the movie rather predictable (there is not much to go with when one understand the basics and the scenario is very simple). I realize that there are poor dialog and rather shaky ideas underdeveloped (why this girl who recovered from cancer dies within a minute of the race?). How to summarize it? A kind of "survival Island" but with a set of unwilling participants having no clue of the rules (until the rules become obvious). Very graphic and a rather systematic head explosion frenzy all along, not very philosophical.

But I did not dislike this movie as much as others did and it is certainly not the worst time I spent watching a movie (especially SciFi, where the TV genre are poorly made - this is much better than your average TV SciFi). The authors tried to cast a set of unusual characters (pregnant woman, cripple, priest, Muslim, thug, deaf girl and man, etc ... Do people realize that the character of Eddie is actually played by ... a one legged actor named Eddie McGee - I have to say, bravo (I liked his character enough to check his profile). Apart from him, we have his friend we empathize with and also a few others. With better actors and a more developed scenario, this was would have been a fine movie (the idea is not bad).

terrible terrible terrible

Author: tgmitchell89 from United States
14 February 2014

everything about this movie is just bad. im not a harsh movie critic at all but this was just ridiculous. everything from the acting to plot was the worst piece of... i don't even know what to call it. don't waste your time. worst acting i have seen in a movie since forever? the plot centers around people in an undisclosed location and they have to race or die. every death is exactly the same. the plot makes no sense. they waste time introducing characters that have no relevance to the story. even the part with sign language is acted out poorly. how is that even possible? just avoid this you cant get your time back so make sure to steer clear

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]