IMDb > "How I Met Your Mother" The Leap (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How I Met Your Mother: The Leap (#4.24)"

"How I Met Your Mother" The Leap (2009)

« Prev | 88 of 208 Episodes | Next »

take the leap

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
15 July 2010

***This maybe containing unintentional spoilers*** This is one of the best things ever to be filmed on TV or released in cinema not because it is so funny but because it has pretty much everything you'd expect in a HIMYM episode there are some episodes where it's just funny or just serious (there are only a few) but this has both which makes it an overall classic. The lines that made me laugh are not just delivered by Barney Stinson but by almost everybody: Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin even Bill the guy at the hospital made me burst into hilarity. Who the hell hates this show? I'd really like to know their grounds if they've watched this. This jump-starts the Robin/Barney love relationship, she pulls a Mosby on Barney (for those of you who don't know it's the line "I think I'm in love with you" delivered by Ted in the pilot) but it's fake, she's not in love with Barney just overheard a conversation revealing it. It has everything in a HIMYM episode, JUST WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect 21 minutes of television

Author: S. B. from Germany
12 May 2016

A fitting and utterly satisfying end to the best season of How I Met Your Mother. This is the moment to tie up loose ends and to bring certain story lines to a conclusion that have shaped the season thus far. And all of this is done supremely well here. Naturally, the lingering feelings between Barney and Robin had to be confronted. But not without adding some unexpected twists and turns to it. As for Ted, the reason why it turned out to be so important for him to meet Stella again is revealed in the closing moments, after a heart-warming, inspirational speech by Lily (she's perfect for that role, it's good to have her back). And with that information, this aptly named episode probably features the biggest leap towards meeting the Mother in the entire series so far. Now we know why Ted had to meet Stella, fall in love with her, get left at the altar by her, and meet her again at the crossroad by all sorts of lucky coincidences.

Furthermore, there are so many callbacks and references to earlier episodes woven into the story. This, while providing good laughs, adds to the impression that the entire season so far, despite being very good on its own, has been just the build-up, culminating in these perfect 21 minutes of television.

The callbacks I noticed: Marshall's ill-advised five words he'd soon regret ("I can jump that far"), as foreshadowed in 'Three Days of Snow' (S04E13). Bill, the hospital nurse, who wouldn't let Ted go to Happy Fun Land in 'Miracles' (S03E20). "The Mosby", the concept of scaring off a person of the opposite sex by telling her/him you're in love with her/him, as famously introduced in the pilot and purposefully applied by Barney to get rid of a clingy girl in 'Purple Giraffe' (S01E02). Sven, the Swedish architecture collective that was almost awarded the job to design the GNB tower in 'Woooo!'(S04E08). Meta-jokes about the actress' pregnancy - after Robin two episodes ago, it's now Lily who jokingly claims to be pregnant. And of course, as promised by narrator Ted several times, we finally get the full story of the goat from the homonymous episode (S03E17). As foreshadowed in S04E10, a fight between Ted and the goat ensues, which is set to a familiar soundtrack: Murder Train by the Foreskins, Robin's ex-boyfriend's band from 'Sandcastles in the Sand' (S03E16).

Season Finale

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
8 January 2015

The season finale of season four of "How I Met Your Mother" is hard to describe.

Plot In A Paragaph: It's Ted's thirty-first birthday. He is still refusing to take the job as an architecture professor since he sees that as a failure of not being an actual architect. So he takes the only design job offered to him: to design a restaurant in the shape of a cowboy hat. Lily's pet goat complicates Ted's life a little bit. Meanwhile up on the roof, the gang are having a surprise party for Ted, whilst waiting for him to arrive Marshall is contemplating making the literal six or seven foot horizontal leap to the roof of the adjacent building (where there is a hot tub), And Barney plans on telling Robin he is love with her.

The Ted and the goat was as silly as "How I Met Your Mother" has ever come up with, and it has come up with some silly things so far. But the Barney and Robin plot made it worthwhile as they tried to "Mosby" each other.

The Leap (#4.24)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
20 July 2015

A great way to end the season with having Robin finally find out that Barney has feelings for her. The genius thing is that she tries to "Mosby" him by confessing her love right away. But hen he finds out the confrontation gets even more hilarious and we have a huge end it. Now let's see how it will progress in season 5.

We also now how running into Stella got Ted closer to meet the Mother. Seems like he will actually accept a professor job. Basically make the metaphorical leap. Portrayed in this episode in a very physical way as they all jump to the other roof. That was a pretty scary moment I must say, but also kind of inspiring, it makes it look like they all will be now facing their fears and go with their lives.