IMDb > Partly Cloudy (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy More at IMDbPro »

A warm and funny animation

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
31 December 2009

This animated short film is about a very unlucky stork, who has to deliver scary babies of various vicious animals made by a miserable dark cloud.

"Partly Cloudy" is fun to watch. Due to the length of the short animation, the pacing is quick. There is no need for a long build up, it only delivers funny moments every 10 seconds. There are no words in the animation, but it successfully delivers humour, warmth and love. I am impressed by the filmmakers' limitless imagination, especially the interaction between the unlucky stork and the various vicious animals. I enjoyed watching "Partly Cloudy".

Baby Bottleneck

Author: boblipton from New York City
31 May 2009

Once again, Pixar has accompanied one of its wonderful features (in this case, UP), with a short subject. And the short subject, PARTLY CLOUDY, plays like a variation on Bob Clampett's classic cartoon, BABY BOTTLENECK, although without Porky or Daffy.

Like all of Pixar's shorts, this is a virtual silent picture, with just enough sound effects to keep it going. It concerns where babies come from before the storks deliver them: from clouds, it turns out, who shape them from their own material. For this one we get to follow the cloud and stork who produce not fluffy kittens, but other, more dangerous critters, like crocodiles and porcupines.

I do have some slight issues with how clouds are rendered -- a bit more solid and cotton-batting-like than I would think, but this is a lovely little pleasure for the viewer.

Not their best short but a nicely comic and inventive short that served as a warm-up act for Up

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 January 2010

As we all know, babies of all types are delivered by storks, which collect them from their point of creation (in the clouds) and carry them in bundles to the ground. Of course you have you r cute creatures like puppies and kittens, but one stork works with a slightly less fun cloud where the creatures tend to be of a more "jagged" nature. Over time the working conditions that the stork has to endure appears to put a strain of the working relationship.

This short preceded Up in the cinemas and continues Pixar's tradition of having a supporting short film for their releases (a tradition that I'm all in favour of and still maintain that more "live action" releases should do it too). This slot has seen some very good animated short films and it must be said that Partly Cloudy is not really one of the better ones that they have done. Of course, as with nearly all things Pixar, one of their outputs being slightly below their normal standard still means that it is very good by normal standards, and so it is with Partly Cloudy.

In terms of content it is a relatively straightforward short with physical comedy providing all of the four or five laughs it has. This is not a complaint though because it is only a short film and as such it does do the job of being amusing by delivering these solid laughs in a short time. Of greater note that the specific laughs is the concept itself. The stork aspect is an old one but the whole idea is well brought to life by the design and the animation and it was this spirit of invention and creativity behind the laughs that I enjoyed.

Not Pixar's strongest moment in terms of their feature-supporting short films and a bit simple in terms of substance but the design and concept is imaginative and generally it is still funny and enjoyable with physical comedy sight gags.

Cute & Clever Animated Short

Author: Eumenides_0 from Portugal
25 August 2009

This short, which preceded my session of 'Up', is a playful answer to the question, where do storks get the babies they deliver? The answer, we learn, is that cute kittens, doggies and babies come from pink clouds creating them from cloud matter. But this isn't really what the short is about.

Partly Clouded also follows one specific stork, the one who has the inglorious task of delivering all the dangerous, not so cute babies, like baby alligators and baby sharks. It's priceless.

This is the second Pixar short I've seen, after Presto. And like Presto I was left wondering why Pixar didn't develop this short into a full-length movie.

My wife and daughter loved it...it wasn't quite as impressed but it was still very good

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
31 May 2009

This is the short Pixar film that was shown immediately before UP. One thing I love about the Pixar full-length films is how they always begin with a short film--talk about value for the audience!

The plot involves storks and clouds. Apparently all babies (human and animal alike) are created in the clouds and each cloud has its own stork assigned to it. One stork is rather put upon, however, as his cloud seems a bit...crazy. Instead of creating cute babies, puppies and kittens like the other clouds, this one makes very, very dangerous babies that invariably hurt the poor stork. It's pretty funny seeing the stork get hurt again and again. It's also amazingly adorable seeing the little puppies and kittens--as it's animated in a very adorable style. And, for the first time, this short is in 3-D.

My wife and daughter absolutely loved this short film. As for me, I liked it but not nearly as much. This is mostly because compared many of the other Pixar shorts (such as PRESTO, LIFTED, JACK-JACK ATTACK and ONE MAN BAND) it comes up a bit short on laughs. Still, it is an enjoyable and welcome and I recommend you see it and UP as soon as possible.

Fantastic!

Author: sky blue from Japan
14 February 2014

Storks are known for giving every animal their babies. In this story, they transport babies from clouds in the sky. A cloud is good at creating dangerous babies, such as crocodiles, sharks, or hedgehogs. So, the stork which comes to those clouds has many troubles carrying babies.

We sometimes compare clouds to something else, however, in this movie, clouds in the sky have expressive faces and feelings. When they get angry, lightning strikes from it. Also, when it feels sad, rain comes out instead of tears. I think this idea is very interesting because clouds are depicted like humans.

The back ground pictures are so beautiful and they make this movie more fantastic.

When you look up on the sky, you may find a gentle cloud like in this movie.

Beautifully animated and entertaining

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
19 February 2012

As someone who is consistently impressed with Pixar, I really enjoyed Partly Cloudy. It is not one of Pixar's best, not like Geri's Game, Presto, One Man Band and Knick Knack, but there is much to like and it compliments Up(the feature film that succeeds it). As with all Pixar's work, it is beautifully animated, the clouds may occasionally have a slightly cotton wool look to them, but the characters are well modelled and the colours and backgrounds are gorgeous. The music is understated with a nostalgic feel to it, and while not laugh out loud funny like Presto for instance Partly Cloudy is still entertaining. It also has a very cute and charming story and the characters especially the messenger of the black cloud are endearing. Overall, while not Pixar's best it is definitely worth watching for its cuteness and for how beautiful it looks. 9/10 Bethany Cox

It's a hard stork life

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
5 June 2015

This 6-minute Pixar short film from 2009 is quite fun to watch, even if it did not manage an Oscar nomination like they usually do. The animated cloud landscapes are nothing short of mesmerizing and the story of friendship between one of these clouds and the suffering stork is nicely told as well. And we learn where rain and lightning come from, apart from where children come from. But we all knew anyway that these are delivered by storks, also animal children. The film's writer and director is also the director of Pixar's next big full feature "The Good Dinosaur" and his involvement makes me even more curious for that one. He brought some nice emotions into this short movie and I hope he can repeat it on the full feature front. The ending is really sweet too. Right when you thought the stork had given up on his buddy, the makers of this short movie manage to put a smile on our lips and go out on a high note really here. This has drama, feeling and fun, all the ingredients needed. Very much recommended and certainly not only for children. I hope to see a full feature one day based on these characters, maybe especially the stork. Pixar sure can make it work.

Cuddly capers

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
24 October 2013

A charming Pixar short that accompanies its feature length films at the cinema.

Kids would love to know where all the cute babies, puppies, kittens and rabbits come from. Its from those fluffy clouds where they are all wrapped up delivered ready by flying Storks. All happily delivering joy to the world.

However the planet is not all cuddly babies and puppies. What about baby alligators, hedgehogs, sharks. The kind of thing that do not have the necessary cute attributes.

This is a tale of the dark cloud which has all the spiky jobs where as its neighbours has the more cuddly deliveries and its also the story of his attached Stork who have risk his few remaining feathers delivering spiky hedgehogs, snappy alligators to proud parents whilst gazing wilfully at the other storks with easier tasks.

A short that is fun and interesting.

Not my favourite Pixar short but clever ideas nonetheless

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
3 September 2013

I first saw this short when renting 'Up' on DVD and now that I own the DVD, I decided to give this short another try.

The smartest aspects of this short are its title (very relevant for the clouds), its apparent link to 'Up' (both having parts that take place high up in the sky) and how weather conditions represent the 'bad' clouds emotions (thunder and lightning for anger or jealousy and rain for crying when his stork flies to a gentle female cloud towards the end). Some of the baby animals are cute and I sympathised for the main stork when the 'bad' cloud gave him tough animals such as a head- butting ram and a hedgehog/porcupine. While there is no meaningful dialogue and just the odd, "Aah" and grunt, the music was dreamy if somewhat forgettable. This short also reminded me of the beginning of 'Dumbo' where various storks deliver baby animals to would-be-mothers as well as the part in 'Hercules' where Zeus makes Pegasus from clouds as a gift for baby Hercules.

To sum up, I didn't find it as engaging as the likes of 'Knick Knack' and 'Day and Night,' but it still has some clever ideas and cute animals. 7/10.