IMDb > Chinese Zodiac (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sap ji sang ciu

Chinese Zodiac More at IMDbPro »Sap ji sang ciu (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Appropriate send-off in my opinion

Author: Fabian Mardi from Singapore
8 January 2013

I watched this movie without seeing the reviews and enjoyed it very very much. Which is why I'm quite surprised of the low reviews it's been getting from critics.

Sure, many dialogues were corny and the plot is borderline ridiculous. But do you really go to a Jackie Chan movie for its story?

The stunts and fight scenes in this movie are simply amazing. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't watched it yet, but if you grew up watching Jackie's earlier films (80s and 90s), you're gonna be pleasantly reminded of his golden days. He's not as fast or as nimble, but it is still light years better than the typical 'hollywood' action scenes.

As mentioned, story and dialogue: meh. Think of it as a vehicle for the action that ensues. You'll get a few trademark comedy reminiscent of Jackie's earlier works, and overall it's a very good family film. But action is the hook of this movie. It's seriously so good that you'll come in with expectations of great action, and still come out thinking that was better than expected.

If you're a fan of Jackie, this is a no-brainer must-watch. If you're not a fan, give it a chance as it is still an extremely solid action movie.

Jackie Chan Gives His All in His Final Action Movie!

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
3 February 2013

This was the first solo Jackie Chan movie that I have seen for a long while. In "Forbidden Kingdom," he shared the star billing with Jet Li. In "Karate Kid", he even played a supporting role for Jaden Smith! Now comes word that this film "Chinese Zodiac" will already be the last action film of the iconic martial arts star. If that statement alone will not convince his fans to catch it, then I do not know what will.

I think a lot of people shared that idea, even my kids who have only seen him before in "Karate Kid". Today is the first weekend that it is showing in local theaters. We watched this in a movie theater in Chinatown, and that 3pm showing was totally SOLD OUT. It had been quite some time that I have been in a completely full theater in a showing that is not a premiere. It is truly impressive that the audience was composed of fans of all ages.

"Chinese Zodiac" recounts the exploits of a mercenary of historic relics, JC (Jackie Chan), who is searching for the twelve bronze heads of Chinese Zodiac animals which had been looted from the Summer Palace. JC leads a team who works with him, "Mission Impossible" style.

He shares his adventure as well with two plucky ladies: Katherine (a French heiress who would like to him to find her great-grandfather ship which was lost at sea), and a Chinese activist Coco (who is part of a crusade to have Western powers to return cultural treasures back to the countries from whom these were stolen during colonial times).

As with all Jackie Chan movies in the past, the main reason people go to watch it is not really the story, but Jackie's unique brand of comedy- action. This film certainly does not disappoint. It is two hours worth of exciting stunts which only Jackie can deliver. The movie opened with a long sequence wherein he was sailing down a mountain road using a body suit with roller blades all over it. The last scenes involved skydiving in order to recover the last animal head before it plummets into a volcano! There were still so many action scenes in between -- involving dogs in a maze, pirates on an island, a rival mercenary on a sofa, henchmen with photography equipment -- all as exhilarating as they were also funny.

Yes, Jackie Chan's age may be showing (he is 58 now), but he definitely still has IT! The outtakes shown over the end credits show that he was still the one doing all those dangerous stunts and demanding physical comedy routines himself. Though he was uncharacteristically playing a rogue character in this film, like all of his past movies, there are still lessons to be learned at the end, both personally as well as patriotically. Cheesy dialogs and corny acting, yes, but above all it is excellent entertainment, as can be evidenced by the enthusiastic audience response. Come on in and enjoy Jackie Chan's final show!

Jackie Chan of 1980's 1990's is back

Author: ramkumar-uiic from Coimbatore, India
29 December 2012

Went in with a load of expectations as it was jackie's full fledged action movie after a long time ........ and sequel of a highly entertaining "Armour of God" added more zeal to the expectations ... movie starts off with a superb stunt with jackie trademark of riskiness written all over ... then movie movie moves off superfast with stunts, comedy and entertainment all through the way ... 2 and half hours runs without brakes ..... jackie is wonderful throughout the film ... though the movie misses jackieism of 80's and 90's a little bit , still the magic works .........

verdict: Jackie's show throughout - highly entertaining ... action fans don't miss it ;)

Dragon warrior

Author: dragomir-stankovic from Republic of Macedonia
5 January 2013

Wow - even if its not one of his greatest works. JC made an action movie for 10 mil $,earned two Guinness World Records: "Most Stunts Performed by a Living Actor" and "Most Credits in One Movie" and he did that with 58 years. Even if there are bad reviews from the critics, i must say as a fan, i am not disappointed. Really proud to chose this man as a hero of my childhood. This movie is suppose to end his carer. He has outdone himself in this one. Shows that his heart is with China's heritage. Even if you don't like his naive perspective of the world, we should strive to it. That is far from reality, but we can give it a try. The last worldwide action hero. Thanks for being a roll model my hats off to you.

Amazing Jackie Chan-Chinese Zodiac Amazing

Author: delfire-1 from United Kingdom
27 February 2013

What can I say, for the haters just do not watch movies if they are not your taste just to find faults in them, most Jackie Chan's movies are meant to be fun and not to be taken too seriously even though there is always a lesson to be learnt. This movie has gone back to the 80s classics in my opinion and it is fantastic. The plot and all involved were great. Never serious and never meant to be. The stunts and fight scene are all great and fun and jaw dropping what a 58 year old man can do. I am a huge fan a I was not disappointed. Thank you Mr Jackie Chan for an awesome movie.

For all of you that did not enjoy this movie go and watch something else that you normally like because watching a Jackie Chan movie you know what to expect, you got it all here, Action, stunts, comedy, fun. All in all 10/10 for me and I hope we will still see Jackie Chan making more......

Now that's what I call an action movie

Author: annavirgo_1990
24 December 2012

First off, I'm surprised that this gem of an action movie actually gets a lower rating than Jack Reacher, which has got to be the worst action movie I've has the misfortune to watch (and fell asleep in during some scenes).

But then both films are only recently released, especially Chinese Zodiac, which I think has yet to be released in US, so I'm sure given time, it will get the rating it deserves, which is a solid 8 - 9 stars.

Having watched these 2 films back to back, one can't help but to compare them. Both are produced by the starring actors, but the overall production quality of Zodiac in terms of action sequence, casting, dialogue, storyline and chemistry between the characters far outshines that of Jack Reacher.

Also, when you talk about producing a film, Jackie Chan has got to be the most actively involved producer, as established by the Guinness World Record for "Most Credits in One Movie".

The storyline flows seamlessly with many laugh out loud moments in between. It is not just some mindless action movie, instead in the midst of all those impossible intricate fight sequence, it aims to teach us the importance of appreciating and preserving our history, and not to forget our own roots.

Last but not least, Jackie Chan has outdone himself. If he is hoping to go out with a big bang, this is it.

Don't know what to say

Author: zsybeijing from Singapore
5 January 2013

First, Jackie Chan's Chinese name is Cheng Long, which means 'becoming a dragon'.

Only if you know this, you can understand why Jackie Chan desperately strived to save the dragon head at the end of the movie.

He was saving his dignity.

Second, I know the movie isn't perfect.

But I don't care because I was moved deeply.

Third, Jackie is nearly 60 years old.

When I stood up from the seat of the movie theater, I knew I would never watch a movie of his like this any more.

Indiana Chan? Or something like that...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
11 February 2013

For a Jackie Chan movie, then he really went all out this time, putting on an adventure unlike anything he has done before. That being said, I am not saying that his previous work has been less than this movie, it is just that this movie takes Jackie Chan's breathtaking stunts and combines it with an adventure much in the likes of "Indiana Jones", and it actually works out for a nice combination, and a nice change of scenery for Jackie Chan.

As with all Jackie Chan movies, there is a hefty amount of action, martial arts, jaw-dropping stunts and comedy in this movie. And yes, it delivers on all these accounts. And he proves that despite being up in age, then he still is the undisputed master of stunts and this particular style of movies.

There is nothing much to say about this movie actually, as it is fairly what you'd expect from a Jackie Chan movie, and any fans of him will not be disappointed while watching this movie.

Jackie Chan does it again and even gives Indiana Jones a run for his money this time.

I was really surprised when I saw Shu Qi and Daniel Wu make a short cameo appearance at the end of the movie. That really was a nice touch to the movie.

Classic late-Chan, today!

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
7 February 2013

This is a classic late-period style Jackie Chan Chinese action-adventure. Not quite as good as the Operation Condor/Armour of God movies it's supposed to be a sequel to (nor as good as Supercop/Police Story films) but every bit as good as The Accidental Spy, Who Am I?, and The Myth. And I thought all of those were quite enjoyable.

This movie shares all the great features and all of the flaws of Chan's self produced and/or directed films. They have a great sense of humor and the stunt/action sequences are quite inventive. But they are also quite cartoony--the acting is VERY broad--and there's quite a bit in it that defies any common sense. But who really cares, right? This is Chan unfiltered.

The only REAL flaw to the film is the clumsy way Chan keeps inserting his moral messages. He has characters tell us what's right and wrong in very stilted dialog instead of creating situations that demonstrate his points. (not to mention that a few of his morals seem to have been government imposed--"we are not to interfere with the social structure in any way" a protest leader incongruously says as Chan nods wisely and says "That's right!") But I think this will make a fine home video release for the US audience, once they edit out some of the more China-centric chit chat, re-dub the dialog (or at least all the English, which is horribly spoken by the international cast) and replace a couple of oddly inappropriate pop tunes).

I'll be buying it for my JC collection!

Kungfu action at the end was OK but the story flow of the movie is below standard.

Author: Krish Purnawarman from Bali, Indonesia
7 February 2013

Kungfu action at the end was OK but the story flow of the movie was below standard. The mix between English, Chinese and French spoken languages in the movie and the comedy being forced into almost every scene made the movie unbearable to watch. I thought the part when the French women said; " speak in English please", 4-5 times in the movie...'doh'...was really dull. The Kungfu scene when Jackie fought with the french guy (with the funny hat) and the scene between the Chinese woman vs the french woman was the only good thing about the movie. In summary, disappointed to see this movie, quite liked his other movies.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]