IMDb > In Darkness (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In Darkness

In Darkness More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Truly wonderful. The work of this film is brilliant.

Author: brian-morgan-680-273403 from Chicago
2 November 2011

I saw this movie at the Savannah Film Festival in Georgia today... Going in I thought this movie would be just another holocaust movie. But it was more than just a holocaust movie the story which is based off a true story told the story of people who regardless of race are escaping from their deaths by hiding in a sewer throughout the war. I was amazed by how this movie could keep my attention throughout as seeing that it's just a group of people hiding underground but it did. It's a long movie but entertaining throughout. The story embraced these poor individuals and showed their struggles and I was amazed by the acting. I was also amazed by all the challenges that they had gone through to produce this movie and my thought of how stressful it would be to be on a set like this. As a young cinematographer myself, I was impressed by the lighting and the picture overall that was produced. I'm dying to know what lenses they used for such a beautiful film. For attending this film and not being from Georgia I heard some positive and some negative feedback from other attendees of the film. Some people had a little struggle of how long the movie was... But in my eyes I feel that it's important for the movie to be longer because these people are in a tunnel for over a year and are struggling to survive.

A Touching and Moving Film

Author: samlapidus from Toronto
12 September 2011

I saw this movie at is world premier gala event at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). I must admit that I grew up hearing stories from the script writer, David Shamoon, so I may have some bias to this film. As a novice critic, this is my review: In Darkness is a touching and moving film. This is not a war movie, and it is only partly a Holocaust story. This is a human story. The memoir of one of the survivors, who is portrayed in this film, inspired the book which found its way to David then to Hollywood. Any one who sees this or has any connection to the tragedies of the Second World War will be happy that this story was told. It is unique and not like any other film portrayal that I have ever seen. You must have a stomach for seeing what survival is like when portrayed on the silver screen. You will root for some characters, bit your nails as events unfold, and sigh with relief at numerous occasions. At the end of the film you will have something to talk about with those you watched it with and those you want to recommend it to. See this film and you will be happy that you did.

As a side note, the presentation of the film at TIFF was on 10th anniversary of 9/11 and I would think that TIFF organizers chose this evening and this presentation strategically. There was also a special surprise after the movie, the survivor/writer of the original memoirs cam to stage to thank those involved and present her grand daughters. It brought tears to the audience. I have never been to a movie premier with so much applause before even when big names like Clooney are in attendance.

The movie is the Polish Oscar entry....

Author: Edward Z
9 January 2012

While there have been other movies dealing with Holocaust this one is unique in its complexity. It takes place in Lvov, town populated by a number of ethnic groups which had coexisted in an uneasy truce in a sort of a Tower of Babel which first the Russian and then the German occupations easily destroyed.

The mix of peoples is apparent by the mix of languages spoken: Polish, Yiddish, Ukrainian, German . The subtitles by the way are excellent and easy to follow.

The movie shows the risks involved in helping Jews under the German occupation a very important but often forgotten point. Heart wrenching scenes caused more than one person to wipe their tears in this Polish audience. The humanity of Socha the imperfect hero makes him one of the most heart warming characters that I recall.

This movie is a thriller, a morality tale and in some ways reminds one of a classic Western where honor, justice and love survive under most adverse circumstances.

There is bright light in the darkness

Author: LukeRolbiecki
28 February 2012

I watched this movie a few days back and I'm still contemplating what I saw. It took me a while until I decided to watch it. I thought I saw enough movies about The Second World War and about The Holocaust in particular. But after watching it I was almost ashamed that I could think like this. It's not like I'm ignorant, I just think that movies about war are always too simple – so I prefer to read books rather than watch movies. But this movie is different. I was touched very deeply and I don't regret any second spent on watching it.

The script is focused around the characters and maybe that is the strongest part of it. The war is only the background. We see how people can change and how they act when the tension around is almost unbearable. We see the brightest and the darkest side of humanity. And maybe what is most important here, we see common people. Without guns, without any special abilities – true, honest characters with all their doubts, needs and desires. Only the circumstances are not common, so our characters try to deal with them. The word "our" characters is not an accident. I felt very close to these characters – bad or good, it didn't matter – they were almost naked in their emotions. And I think it's very true: in the horror of the war you don't have the time or the strength to hide behind some kind of curtain. No matter to what God we pray, what language we speak, in the end we are all human – and it's our choice, what we make of our humanity.

Preferably watch it in the movie theater. Only then it is possible to experience the grand play of lights and the perfect work of the camera. In this movie also this aspect has its strong impact on the viewer.

I would say while watching this movie, I felt like I was in the very same place as our characters. It's very rare for me to have such feelings, so for me it's the best proof that this movie is in some way exceptional. I thought how I would act in situations the characters are in and I'm glad that I haven't been and I hope I never will be.

And I keep thinking that I'm very thankful for the creators, producers and the whole crew for this movie!

Excellent film - Difficult to Watch on Many Levels

Author: ligonlaw from San Francisco, California
4 January 2012

"In Darkness" is the true story of a man who saved a dozen Jews in Poland after the Nazi invasion, which started World War II, put all Jewish people in mortal danger.

Much of this film takes place in the sewers under the city of Lvov where our protagonist is a sewer worker. He is the most knowledgeable person in town about the underworld. The world beneath the city is a kind of dark, wet hell, and Leopold Sucha, our tour guide, shows "his jews" around like Ovid guided Dante through the "Inferno."

In addition to slogging around in unclean waters, the cast fights off a lot of rats. Rats are ubiquitous, crawling around in most of the scenes. This is not a heart-warming, feel-good film. This film succeeds in making the viewer feel very uncomfortable most of the time.

As the Nazis begin to close down the Ghetto, a few men are seen digging under the floor of their home, attempting to create an escape route into the city sewer system. They do so just in the nick of time. The Nazi's are rounding up everyone as their friends and neighbors slide through a narrow hole into the sewer system.

As harshly as this film portrays the cold-blooded Nazi's, the film does not draw sentimental portraits of the victims either. One is hard- pressed to find heroism in the victims. Bickering, fighting and selfishness surface quickly to create more tension. At times, the fights and yelling are at exactly the wrong moment and could doom the group.

Caught between Nazi's he doesn't like and the "his Jews" who he doesn't care much about at first, Sucha tries to make extra money by hiding the refugees from the Ghetto and charging them for food and essentials.

He is conflicted at first, but the unrelenting savageness of the Nazi occupiers eventually turns Sucha toward a more sympathetic view of the people in his care. They do not make it easy. They accuse him of betrayal, attempt to kill him and do unspeakable things themselves. It would have been possible to forgive him if he had given up on them, but his own decency begins to turn him toward the salvation of "his Jews."

A reluctant hero, he risks his life and takes great risks to keep them safe from Nazis and natural disasters.

The movie is complex because there are so many character conflicts, so many nationalities and so many languages being spoken. The characters are not black and white, good and evil. There are times when the complexity becomes disorienting.

Unwise actions of the characters and the sense of danger make you squirm. And, well, the sewer is a really dark, filthy place to live for 14 months.

It's difficult to watch, but it is worth seeing.

Excellent but disturbing

Author: Miles-10 from United States
9 November 2011

This is a disturbing film that everyone should see. It is based on the true story of a dozen Jews who survived the Holocaust by living for fourteen months in the sewers beneath Lvov, Poland, from 1944 to 1945. It is also the story of an anti-Semitic sewer inspector named Leopold "Poldek" Socha (Robert Wieckiewicz) who at first sees helping the Jews as a way to rip them off for what little money they have left but who is transformed into a decent human being trying to help his fellow human beings. One of a tiny handful of humorous scenes comes near the end when one of the Jewish men says to Poldek, "I don't have any more money". Poldek slips him a wad of cash and says, "Give this to me on Friday in front of the others. We don't want them to know anything has changed". As he turns and walks away, Poldek makes a face that says he can't believe that he just did such a generous thing.

The cinematography and lighting in this movie are exceptional. Most of the movie takes place in what is supposed to be a badly lit sewer, yet the artificial lighting allows you to see the actors well enough without calling attention to itself.

Agnieszka Holland directed this movie. She has an impressive international résumé, but I still remember the first movie of hers that I saw "Europa Europa" another holocaust story I would highly recommend. (And it isn't as unrelentingly disturbing as "In Darkness".) What is disturbing is the atmosphere of doom and the brutality of the Nazis above ground contrasted with the atmosphere of doom and squalor in the dank, foul-smelling, rat-infested sewer. This is not a modern, prettified sewer; this sewer is nineteenth-century or older construction, labyrinthine, dismal and rank. It is a dangerous place where no one but Poldek can find their way in or out.

At one time or another, everything goes wrong for the hideaways. A heavy rain fills up the sewer, nearly drowning them. Polish collaborators find out they are there and try to turn them in to the Nazis. Poldek nearly gets caught several times trying to bring food and other necessities. Some Jews become tired of hiding and go above ground, only to be caught and imprisoned or killed outright.

I was able to watch all of this without giving in to despair only because I knew that one of the children must have survived because I saw her on American television several months ago. At the time, I think I realized that there was a book about these events, but until I saw that this movie was to be shown at the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville earlier this month, I did not realize it had been made into a movie.

Powerful movie-making and heart-wrenching storytelling.

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
29 March 2012

The subject matter of some films is so serious that it makes it difficult to assess the work in purely cinematic terms. This is especially true of real-life events that raise moral issues and there can be no bigger instance than that of the Holocaust which is every second of "In Darkness". It tells a story that would be literally incredible if it was not true: how a dissolute Polish sewer worker called Leopold Socha saved the lives of a dozen Jews by hiding them underground for months. This happened in what was during the Second World War the Polish town of Lwów and today is the Ukrainian town of Lviv. In 1978, Socha and his wife were awarded the title "Righteous among the Nations" by Yad Vashem in Israel.

The film is the work of Polish female director Agnieszka Holland and it is a Polish, German and Canadian co-production with a screenplay by Canadian writer David F. Shamoon. In any country, the film will have some subtitles, because the dialogue involves Polish, Ukrainian, Yiddish and German, and of course in English-speaking nations the whole thing is sub-titled which will limit its appeal to many, but it really is a work worth watching. Holland effectively conveys the paralysing fear and utter squalor of life in the sewers and Robert Wieckiewicz as Socha - like the other actors - shows how the unbearable stresses of such situations make people behave in ways, both good and bad, which are out of character.

"In Darkness" does not have the narrative drive and clear characterisation of "Schindler's List" but, like Spielberg's film, it is powerful movie-making and heart-wrenching storytelling.

Claustrophobic intensity that never lets the viewer go.

Author: postmortem-books from United Kingdom
22 March 2012

There have been a rash of holocaust films in recent years told from various view points and "In Darkness" is a worthy addition to the pantheon of films that re-tell the horror of the Jewish ghettos of Poland and their clearances. At a time when anti-semitic tendencies are once again beginning to emerge in various European countries it is sobering to be reminded of the consequences of the vicious hatred whipped up by the Nazis in the 30's and 40's.

While some might argue that the film is perhaps 20 minutes too long I was not aware of the time passing, being thoroughly engrossed in the attempts by a small group of Jews to survive long enough in the sewers to evade capture by either the Germans or the murderous Ukranian police force who did much to assist the Nazis in their elimination of the Jews in Poland. The scenes cut between the dankness of the sewers and the light of the streets above and whenever we are transported up from the dark and into the light, as an audience, we take gulps of fresh air.

I suspect there was some artistic licence employed but the story itself pins you to the seat and the collective sigh when the final message comes up on the screen at the very end is almost palpable.

Rewarding hero but claustrophobic film

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
31 March 2012

Oskar Schindler pales next to In Darkness's Poldek (Robert Wieckiewicz), who attempts to save a group of Polish Jews in the Lovov ghetto from the Nazis. He could have gotten 500 zlotys a head for them. The path through the sewers provides the figurative death march for all Jews oppressed in the Holocaust.

Not only are the circumstances in the sewer foul and deadly, with offal, bodies, and vermin constant companions, but also the madness of the darkness becomes almost too much to bear. Director Agnieszka Holland manages to create a claustrophobic effect as if we all were journeying in a garbage submarine. (A similar effect is in Das Boot.) Yet, figurative light shines through Poldek's anti-Semitic eyes as the once amoral profiteer becomes a reluctant but generous benefactor to the almost totally helpless Jews. His unheroic visage and his base life of tending to the sewers while profiteering from the lost add to his remarkably Christian acts under the guise of business. The Jews are transformed as well by shedding their prejudices about Poldek.

When the allies liberate those homeless ones, the figurative light returns in all its glory. Although this Holocaust story repeats some common tropes about the genre, this film goes further to explore the deadening world the Jews had to inhabit in order to survive. The film's episodic rather than thematic approach, its narrative reliant on discreet occurrences rather than seamless story, makes its over two hours overly long.

In Darkness is a powerful statement on man's inhumanity to man and the filmmaker's genius recreating one of the the most difficult stories to tell anymore.

Orgie of life on the brink of death

Author: Felix Yaroshevsky from Canada
19 February 2012

In my almost 79 years of life I've never seen anything as cathartic and moving as this one. When titles streamed down the screen I was wailing like a baby and a young woman came next to my seat and embraced my shoulders in support and I reciprocated - her partner/husband standing aside waiting for her patiently. We looked into each other eyes and recognized similarity of our experiences.

I'll suggest to all of my patients to see it. It's almost impossible to stay depressed after seeing it. The texture and reality of LIFE is the substance of illustration of the evolution. Which is the substance of life.

Felix Yaroshevsky M.D. C.R.C.P.(C). www.drfy.com