IMDb > Kill the Irishman (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kill the Irishman

Kill the Irishman More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Danny Greene is one tough guy!

Author: Siddharth Krishna Dwivedi from India
20 November 2011

Crime movies attract me like a magnet, and so I landed on this.

It shows the continuous attempt to kill Danny Greene (the Irishman), and his story of pauper and king substantially.

This movie catches imagination and seesaws Danny Greene as a good and bad guy. Still at the end you end up liking Danny played effortlessly by Ray Stevenson.

At times it even reminds you of Robinhood like baddies, a classic as modern fanatics go; this movie resembles.

The Mafia and crime syndicates are back with this flick, enjoy the chase to kill the Irishman......

Serious turf war in Cleveland. More than Irish luck.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
10 September 2011

Based on true events during the 1970's. At least thirty-six bombs rocked the city of Cleveland, Ohio in the summer of 1976. The mother of turf wars raged between the Mafia and Irish mobsters led by Danny Greene(Ray Stevenson), who went from Irish neighborhood thug to president of the longshoreman's local. Val Kilmer plays Joe Manditski, the good guy that survived Greene's childhood stomping grounds. Joe, an astute cop, sat back and watched his old friend unlikely team up with gangster John Nardi(Vincent D'Onofrio); then would turn the tables on the notorious loan shark and night spot owner Shondor Birns(Christopher Walken). The Irishman was fearless and hard as nails on his way to power in Cleveland's underworld. Defying Mafia bosses raged his own war surviving numerous assassination attempts and did enough damage to jeopardize the very foundation of the Italian mafia syndicates coast to coast. Greene earned the nickname "Mobster Robin Hood" and the man the mob could not kill. Hard action with heavy violence. Acting is powerful and convincing; cinematography is super. Also in the cast: Tony Lo Bianco, Robert Davi, Vinnie Jones, Fionnula Flanagan, Paul Sorvino and Tony Darrow.

"Kill the Irishman" DVD Review

Author: theworldisyours_l from United States
26 June 2011

My friend recommended the recently released DVD, "Kill the Irishman." So with some extra time in my afternoon, I sat down to watch the picture. The story follows the popular movie industry formula but I found something unique about this film. The movie is based on the life of Danny Greene, an Irish blue collar worker turned gangster, who always seemed to have the luck of the Irish on his side because of his ability to escape unparalleled danger.

The grittiness in the story gives it a surreal feel. You can feel the tension of the characters and I found myself in a way rooting for the mobster with a soul. The cast is played by recognizable actors such as Ray Stevenson (Danny Greene), Vincent D'Onofrio (John Nardi), Val Kilmer (Joe Manditski), and Christopher Walken (Shondor Birns). The cast performances aren't phenomenal but nobody's acting leaves you grimacing with displeasure either. The director and writer of the film, Jonathan Hensleigh, did a solid job with the script. His filmography includes "Armageddon", "The Punisher," and "Jumanji" just to name a few. Is this movie going to be nominated for an academy award? No, but you won't find yourself wishing you had done something else with your two hours. In fact if you're like me, you might sit down another time and give the movie another viewing.

I give the movie a rating of B-, the film is two hours of mindless entertainment. What more can you ask for during the summer? It's definitely not a chick flick but doesn't have the needless gore that's rampant in certain action flicks nowadays. Sit back for a couple of hours and take the film in with a friend, I promise you won't regret your decision.

Check out my new released blog at: www.logansmovieblog.blogspot.com

Reality is wilder than fiction

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
19 June 2011

I was not aware of Danny Greene's life story till I saw this movie; this is a recurring comment in most reviews and critics. The events as depicted in this movie are surprising and this is surely a key reason for the positive reviews, rating and critiques. His violent death came as no surprise but what was, is the length of time Greene managed to dodge and escape the mafia wrath. Ray Stevenson delivers a very solid performance as Danny Greene.

The director's choice to insert actual TV news video clips was remarkably effective; the editing was up to the challenge. Stevenson's build and look was no doubt a big plus as he sufficiently resembles the real character. Playing an Irishman was in no way a stretch, no more than Robert De Niro playing a New Yorker. The movie can boast a cast of pros and this adds to Stevenson's acting portfolio; I'm glad for him. I've been a fan since the HBO series "Rome". Jonathan Hensleigh, the director has the credential as screen writer and with this movie, he may start getting some traction as director. Oddly, he directed the movie "The Punisher (2004)" starring Thomas Jane, and not the 2008 sequel in which Stevenson played the starring role; the 2004 edition was the better feature.

I'm imagining a 'Scott-Crowe' or 'Scorsese-DiCaprio' like partnership, but who am I kidding, Ridley Scott has five of his thirty directed movies with Russell Crowe, which is five times more than Hensleigh has with Stevenson while Martin Scorsese has four of his fifty one directed movies with DiCaprio and besides, one should not compare any director to Ridley Scott, one of the best and my favourite, nor compare to Scorsese. As bad as I may be in conveying that Jonathan Hensleigh demonstrates excellent directorial potential, I trust you get that anyway.

Underrated mob film only worthy of viewing because of the special features.

Author: Brian Rokosz from Palatine, IL
1 September 2011

This movie opens with a car bomb..it's a tense scene and it makes the movie seem pretty awesome, until the car actually explodes...it's a fake explosion...cgi...and done horribly...you can actually tell with ease that there's no flames, smoke, etc.

Because of this I thought "what did I get myself into?"...the budget looked like crap...but I gave it a shot.

1.5 hours later I thought the film was good but the same problems that plagued the opening minutes are standard in the film, but some explosions are real and amazing, which makes no sense.

Overall the acting was decent but the pace moves so rapidly that it winds up actually being a little boring, only because we aren't allowed to enjoy the moments. It also bordered on ridiculous...there was no way this guy could survive everything, go on TV, mock the mob, and stay in a trailer when they could easily kill him...it was just too crazy.

Then I watched the special features...the main feature is an hour long documentary featuring real news programs, the real people involved, interviews, and film of the shootings, crime scenes, and bombings...it shows that the film was about 90% accurate save for a few small details and some exaggerated parts in the beginning...this made me really appreciate the character and the story a lot more.

Bottom line, this is HIGHLY recommended viewing provided that you watch the special features (yes even on the redbox it's included)...I agree with other reviewers, if this had been given a bigger budget and shot with a more seasoned director it would go down as one of the greatest stories I've ever seen.

Really One of the Better Mob Movies Out There

Author: gavin6942 from United States
30 May 2011

The true story of Danny Greene (Ray Stevenson), a tough Irish thug working for mobsters in Cleveland during the 1970s.

Despite my love for Cleveland, and a moderate interest in the Mafia, I had never heard of Danny Greene. I wish I had. This film was amazing, and about 99% true. What a strange thing when you can balance entertainment and accuracy, and this film nails it. And if you like car bombs, this movie has plenty (maybe over 30).

The cast is strong. Ray Stevenson is a fantastic actor and actually looks like the Irishman. Vincent D'Onofrio (Law and Order) is a quirky rising star in the mafia. Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks) plays the Irishman's wife. And even Christopher Walken shows up.

Walken is probably the weakest actor in the film, playing Christopher Walken rather than Shondor Birns. But it is Walken, so you cannot complain. The best is probably Stephenson, who carries the film and makes a murderer seem like a hero. Val Kilmer should not be ruled out, though. We can scoff at him for packing on the pounds, but this was a great role for him, allowing himself the ability to blend into the role and be the cop and not Kilmer.

Is this the best mob movie since "Goodfellas", as Stuart Lee claims on the DVD cover? Perhaps. That is a bold claim, but this is a bold film. And the DVD comes with an hour-long documentary on the real Danny Greene that is not to be missed. Plenty of great interviews with cops, mobsters and family members who lived the tale.

Omar Moore goes so far as to say this is "one of the year's best films". This claim is not uncommon -- almost any film can find someone who says this about it. And who is Omar Moore? But he may be right. As of now (June 2011) this is possibly the best film I have seen so far this year. The tense plot mixed with the sheer reality and mythic stature of the hero? Amazing.

I spoke with D'Onofrio about the moral issues of the film -- Greene is portrayed as something of a hero (in one scene he gives a necklace to a young admirer) while at the same time he is blowing people up. It is an odd juxtaposition. When we watch "Scarface", we may root for Pacino, but we know he is a bad guy. With Greene, the evil nature of his methods is concealed... we know its there, but it is somehow excusable. What are we to think of him? (D'Onofrio, for the record, thinks this goes back to the foundation of man's fascination with crime stories, but I think the angle here is actually quite different and more in-your-face.)

Anyway, see this film. Informative, fun, exciting. One of the year's best.

Wasted talent

Author: shanayneigh from Narnia
16 August 2011

I had high hopes for this movie, considering its strong casting. But sadly, it fails to deliver.

I don't know if the movie got slashed in post production, or it was simply poorly written, but the end result is a film which feels very rushed, with numerous scenes missing. It seems like Hensleigh is so terrified of the movie feeling slow, that he goes to the extreme in the opposite direction.

In what seems like the first 20 minutes of the movie, the main character goes from a struggling longshoreman, to being the head of the union, to getting married to some random waitress, to being locked up, to suddenly being an informant, and ending up as a low level gangster again. Oh, and somewhere in all of this he saves someone - I suppose a friend - from some loan shark, but it's not entirely clear why or how, although it for some reason becomes a big plot point later on. It's probably due to sloppy writing.

Everything is portrayed in very short scenes in a pattern of "and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened". The problem with this technique is that we never really get to know the main character, his motivations, his relations to the supporting characters (his crew and antagonists) and not to mention his first wife.

This isn't "Transformers" where the audience might be content with seeing some massive explosions and robots beating the crud out of each other. For this movie to be enjoyable, and actually make sense, we have to at least know and care a little bit for our characters.

Compare "Kill the Irishman" to "Goodfellas", a movie which obviously have been a strong influence on this film (not to mention the opening car explosion, which is taken almost beat by beat from "Casino").

"Goodfellas" is a full 40 minutes longer than "Kill the Irishman", but never gets dull. On the other hand, it rather feels faster paced than "Kill the Irishman". But we need those extra 40 minutes, because it gives us time to get explore the points listed above.

"Kill the Irishman" feels like wasted opportunity.

It could have been a "Heat" style film, exploring the relationship between Ray Stevenson and Val Kilmer's characters. But no.

It could have explored the tension between being a snitch and having the life of crime as the only realistic way of life. But no.

It could have been a rise-and-fall mafia style movie like "Goodfellas" or "Scarface" or even "American Gangster". But no.

It could have been a gritty look at the life of crime, kind of like a reverse "Narc". But no.

This movie can't decide what type of film it is, so it tries to be all of them at once, which is a recipe for failure.

It's a shame considering the talented cast, which has very little to work with in this garbled mess of a film.

Good movie

Author: Roid01 from Netherlands
10 May 2011

As a self proclaimed organized crime movie expert this was a very entertaining and good movie. I watched it while on holiday. I liked it so much that I even watched it a second time the next day. I was intrigued by the roll of Stevenson which in my opinion was not what you would expect in a standard movie about wise-guys. My attention was kept during the entire movie and it was entertaining, these are the only criteria which are important for me when watching a movie. It was since American Gangster and The Departed that I have seen a nice crime movie again. Especially the atmosphere created in the movie made you feel you could taste the situation as it was back in the seventies in Cleveland

What this movie needs are more cars blowing up.

Author: morganmorgan from United States
27 June 2011

I went in really wanting to like this flick and boy was I utterly disappointed. Not like angry, I got ripped off, wasted my time kind of disappointment but more of a why did they even bother going through the trouble of making this movie to begin with kind of disappointment.

It is so full of unbelievable film and story clichés it's astounding (And at some points kinda embarrassing). There is no attempt in any way to take something that on paper would appear to anyone as being a pretty typical mob/gangster story and create a film narrative that can come across as something other than a typical mob/gangster story.

I think the worse thing the production does is start a story that is so obviously taking a page from Goodfellas and then proceed to deliberately hire half the cast from the same movie. Painfully obvious. Did it even occur to anyone during pre-production that there were more than a few sequences that seem rather... similar? (Which, speaking of Goodfellas cast members, note to Tony Darrow: The worst thing a character actor can do is get plastic surgery. On his face. See Dan Hedaya.) The other thing is the movie. It's supposed to be a MOVIE, as in, you know, moving motion pictures. This thing has such a glacial pace I wanted to start clubbing baby seals to relieve the boredom..

And what was up with Ray Stevenson's hair? It's like a mutant grafting of Gene Wilder on a six day coke binge and John Belushi with six days of sobriety. Almost all the actors in this either looked like older impersonators of themselves or bloated, inflatable pool toys. And I kept waiting for the alien to pop out of Vincent D'Onofrio's host carcass but then I remembered that was another movie back when he wasn't simply working to support his restaurant tabs. Which, apparently, are extensive.

And poor Robert Davi-- we don't even get that good a glimpse of him in the whole movie. And he was a Bond villain for heaven's sake! It's not right. I'm just sayin'. And yeah, yeah, I know, it was supposed to be a device to make his character seem 'mysterious' and 'dangerously ubiquitous' but it just came off as if the actor wasn't showing up on time and they had his stand-in complete all his scenes in a pinch.

Then at some point, some wiseguy editor managed to sneak in an extra reel of people sitting in their cars and then blowing them up over and over again on a loop that seemed to last for about 45 minutes. Then more things blew up. And then somebody said something or did something which all inevitably lead to a huge cue we all expected anyway that came lumbering up main street like the mother of all Godzillas... and then some kids came and more people blew up again.

Next time I think I'll just watch Goodfellas.

Maybe I missed something?

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
20 May 2014

As I type, Kill the Irishman has a rating of 7.1 on IMDb.com - making it technically possibly the 'best' movie I've ever rented.

I like a good gangster movie, so why did this one leave me cold? First of all I found its lead, Ray Stevenson, a little bland an uncharacteristic. This isn't always a fault, especially if the film is made up of a variety of colourful characters to entertain. However, Kill the Irishman has Val Kilmer in it (and he still hasn't lost weight). Christopher Walken shows his face too - a plus perhaps, only he's not in it enough to make much of a difference.

Ray Stephenson plays Danny Greene, an Irish gangster in America. Normally, I find myself rooting for the gangster - they're portrayed as crooks, but lovable rogues. Not here. I just wanted him to get what was coming to him. And all the rest. I couldn't really name any character I felt sympathy for (especially Vinnie Jones, but that was to do with his attempted Irish accent).

It seemed long too. It wasn't (just over an hour and a half). But, with 7.2 on 'Earth's largest movie database' who am I to argue?

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]