"Doctor Who" The End of Time: Part Two (2010)

« Prev | 150 of 160 Episodes | Next »

In The Words Of The Master..."This Should Be...Spectacular"

Author: nahid_h from United Kingdom
1 January 2010

And Ohh Boy Was It The Most Amazing Ending Episode For A Doctor I Have Ever Seen!! This is the ending of all endings, this is the way a Doctor should go out and who else but the man himself, David Tennant.

What a performance by David Tennant, even thought this whole episode showed him in his agony of knowing he is about to die and still being able to give us those laughing moments.

The Master played brilliantly by John Simm was a massive build up, the whole way throughout he was the bad guy and right at the end he gave his life to destroy the returning Time Lords. The Lord President gave a performance that will be remained in the Doctor Who History books.

The Precise moment when the Doctor, the man who would never use a gun, picks up that gun from Wilfred and has a major plan, that is sequence brilliantly with the Doctor handling a ship and boy was it a good action sequence.

When The Doctor has his moment with Wilfred, well,simply put, it may well have been the best performance made by both men in Doctor Who, maybe ever!! The ending was simply superb, when The Doctor meets all his old companions, Martha, Micky, His Girlfriend back in the episodes "Human Nature & The Family Of Blood", and he also met his love Rose but she didn't know who he was and all fitting to the Ood, who predicted his prophecy, giving him a song fitting just before his regeneration in to Doctor No.11 (Played By Matt Smith) and what a regeneration, The whole TARDIS is in disaster mode, and is crashing and the new Doctor shouting "Geronimo" and waves into the last ending for the Tenth Doctor, & The new beginning of The Eleventh Doctor.

Simply...wow.

Author: schooledge from United States
6 January 2010

Laughed, cried, and cheered.

Everyone who loves The Doctor has an actor who endeared this character to them. I could never get on board with The Doctor as a kid due to the poor production value but once I heard it was coming back with today's technology I couldn't wait. We can argue back and forth about Who's the best (pun intended) but it will always be a subjective battle of personal experience and opinion. My first was and will always be David Tennant. Christopher was great, no question, but David took us with him... It pains me to know he is now in Hollywood among the average and over-rated. I wish you luck there (as you deserve more than waiting rooms and screen tests) and hope your past will help you through the cold reality of Los Angeles and its executives who still think Who was your characters last name... At the very least, you'll be able to afford to learn to surf in your spare time! David, to me, you were, and always will be the actor who brought The Doctor to life for me, job well done sir....

As soon as the final episode was over I took a breath, a short leak, and started watching it again. Thank you Mr. Davies, you have made my imagination find whole new worlds and given me the most amazing television escape of my life to date...I know this sounds a little over-board and over zealous but in my opinion you and your staff have done the stories proud...

For all the haters out there, I challenge you to equal the journey that these men carried us over the past few years. Sure, there were lows, but we live in a time where more people know Paris Hilton than where Paris, France is so kudos to you for staying the course and keeping the fire burning...

Now if only I had kids so that I could make it through Seasons Two and Three of Sarah Jane to fill in the story gaps of my mind...

Over to you Mr Moffat

Author: simonrobertrussell from United Kingdom
2 January 2010

Someone ought to remind Mr Davies that sometimes 'less is more'. I am a huge fan of Dr Who and have been since the early 70's, I have also loved most of what Russell has done to make the new Doctor Who such a success after the abysmal 80's - but quite simply, this was not good. SORRY ( as Russell would have the Doctor say, repeatedly ).

The whole re-generation thing is a UNIQUE plot device that should be used to great dramatic effect - it exists nowhere else, you want to replace Kirk, then launch a new starship and crew, you want a new Mulder ( let's not go there ).

This is what should have happened - he saves the world, defeats the Timelords and gives The Master his release ( John Simm - you are the greatest actor of my generation ). He then faces the ultimate sacrifice. He dies ( regenerates ) with Wilfred and Donna by his side.

Oh no. Russell draws out the whole thing by an eon and drags the dramatic tension from a level of 10 down to a lukewarm 2 ( watch an episode of Eastenders to see what I am talking about ).

If you thought the multiple endings of Lord Of The Rings were bad enough, then put on the kettle, sit back and get ready to WAIT.

Just get it done.

I was hoping for edge of my seat tension, I was hoping for the emotion of Spock's death in Star Trek II, I was hoping for the shock of Blake's 7s final moments.

I was bored.

Hauntingly Beautiful

Author: borgter from United Kingdom
4 January 2010

If you hadn't guessed it was the end of an era beforehand, Russell T Davies and his team left you in no doubt by the time the credits rolled this time. There had been promises that there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house by the episode's end, and after an epic, breathtaking hour, they'd pretty much delivered on that promise.

What I loved about the episode is, it had everything that makes Dr Who great. We've never had this: 20 minutes for a Doctor to deal with his impending demise, here though we got him visiting his former assistants, essentially saying goodbye to the Davis's era, before Moffat revamps the entire show with the new production.

He called all this his reward, but really, it was our's. This was the first outright emotional regeneration, and it deepened the process immensely. Usually, the emotions are dealt with afterwards, as the new Doctor gets used to his new body. Here, an outgoing Doctor got to face the ramifications of what was about to happen, and it was explored exceptionally well. The fiery regeneration really hammered home the violence and terrifying nature of the process. As the Doctor said in part One, it is essentially a death and rebirth. Tennant really conveyed the character's vulnerability when undergoing this transformation. He's usually had people around him for his change, but this time he was alone, which only contributed to his fear.

I loved the fact the four knocks was something as simple as Wilf trapped in a chamber all along. But it was all so wonderfully small and poignant. And what a moment: just at the moment the Doctor thought he'd survived, Wilf knocks, and The Doctor knows he is doomed. It was goosebump good.

I'd argue Wilf is the best assistant that Tennant got to travel with, as when Cribbins' tears start to roll, it takes some resolve not to well up yourself (admission: I failed). When Wilf realised his part in the Doctor's demise, it was haunting, simply because it was so brilliantly underplayed. "You're the best man I've ever met and I don't want you to die!" Kudos.

But this was David Tennant's show, and a near-80 minute exercise in just how much he's going to be missed. Tennant was always at his best in these more sombre episodes and he was magnetically brilliant here. This was a character being slowly torn apart over the course of the episode, and Tennant's eyes alone told the story. It was an amazing performance. The Doctor was torn apart long before the regeneration started, and the broken Time Lord that we first got to see properly in The Waters Of Mars was fully exposed here. Credit too for the reappearance of the Ood to sing the Doctor out. "The universe will sing you to your sleep", they said. That's just great writing.

As brilliant as the back end of it was, the hour that preceded it was far from shabby itself. Here, The Master was a little bit more measured, and it helped enormously. "What would I be without you?", the Doctor asked him, and it really felt like a proper and welcome battle of minds.

Then there was Timothy Dalton's Lord President also thrown into the mix. It wasn't an episode for villains, but Dalton was doing perfectly well – even getting over how quickly he reversed a plan that had taken The Master an episode to put together - until he was rushed to his demise.

And this does hint at the flaws in the episode. It seems churlish to criticise a piece of television I enjoyed so much, but there were a couple of niggles. The Time War has been the unexplored part of the narrative that Davies has introduced and this is the closest we've got to it being addressed. Yet it was ultimately, a side attraction and for those of us who had wondering how the Time Lords got to this point, there's an element of opportunity lost there.

While the villains did ultimately take the back seat, we got the interesting shoot out sequence with the Doctor. It was a great scene - with the tension was brilliantly amplified from the director Euros Lyn but the torture on The Doctor's face as he battled his conundrum over which way to point, was once more a testament to Tennant's acting.

Part Two was a jam-packed testament to everything Davies has done with Who. It was pure blockbuster entertainment with a hell of an emotional wallop, and some inspired plotting that dug deeply into the stories of the past four years. The bar has been left high here, and Davies is damn sure going to be missed.

I did feel a bit for Matt Smith who had to pop up in the last few minutes and open up the story of a new Doctor, a minute after we've seen such a terrific closing of another Doctor's chapter. But I'm not going to judge him based on a minute of frantic footage - He's got 13 episodes coming up, when the whole process starts again.

Instead, I'm content to sit back and applaud what I thought was a terrific episode of Doctor Who, and the end of a major era in the show's history. It's a major achievement to build up expectation levels for an episode over the course of pretty much an entire year, and then exceed them with the end result. That's precisely what's happened here and both Tennant and Davies have left some very big shoes to fill.

Over to you then, Mr Moffat and Mr Smith. We'll see you in the Spring. In the interim, I suspect The End Of Time is going to be watched a few more times yet...

"This song is ending, but the story never ends".

Christmas Special 2009: A bit too much "it goes up to 11" about it, but Tennant's performance makes it work while the effects, plot and noise keep it entertaining (spoilers)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 January 2010

With the success of the reinvention of Doctor Who (in particular the seasons with Tennant in the title role) there was always going to be a lot of pressure on this double bill to deliver a suitable climax so that fans can go away content and get on with the business of wringing their hands over the selection of a twelve year old child as the new Doctor. With this in mind it is perhaps understandable that everything about it is as "big" as it is, because not only does this have to satisfy the requirements of being the BBC's Christmas "must-see" special but it is also concluding this successful period for the show. While this broadly works I will be honest that at times I would have liked it not to have put everything up to 11 for the majority of the show simply because it did seem to have too much going on and a lot of noise in doing it.

The return of the Master is the subject of the first half, building to the release of the Time Lords and the end of time in the second. All of this provides the big noisy spectacle and global-extinction level threat that is required for this type of thing and in that regard it does work. It does all happen very quickly though and nothing has very long to build particularly. The threat of The Master hardly has time to sink in before we have Time Lords turning up and again they are dealt with reasonably quickly. It is entertaining enough and quite exciting but it didn't ever have enough in the way of substance to make me care about it so much as just enjoy watching it as the spectacle that it was. The plot itself is generally a bit messy as well because of it having too much kicking around. There are things we are not meant to understand/know mixed in with things that we should know if we have been watching and remembering every episode of New Who, then there are things that don't totally make sense – all of these come together in a way where it is not the easiest to follow. Adults and fans should not struggle too much but I did wonder for the younger viewers what they would be able to make of it.

This "up to 11" effect also impacts on the smaller moments because again there is this pressure to have an "end of an era" effect rather than just a season of a television show coming to an end. This means that we have lots of loops being completed, connections being made etc as the Doctor goes round checking on his companions etc and although some of these are good, it did feel unnecessary and a bit overblown in terms of getting emotion from the viewer. Tennant is rewarded though with a couple of scenes where he actually gets to act (as opposed to doing a "solemn stare" like he normal has to do) and he is moving when he gets the chance. Likewise his scene with Wilfred (when the "he will knock four times" prophecy is given a brilliantly impacting reveal) is great and to me was more engaging that all of the bigger special effects moments. Tennant will undoubtedly be missed from this show. Although this conclusion is a reminder that the material didn't use him well enough often enough, he is a good actor and he has delivered when enabled to do so. The role is his and one does have to feel a little bit for the massive job that Matt Smith has in carrying this on – a job not helped by him looking like he would be more at home representing his public school at a polo match than in the Tardis.

The supporting cast is good. I've never really cared for Donna or her extended family, but Cribbins is on good form here and works well with Tennant in the moments where the special effects stop and it is just the two of them. Simm has a great old time as The Master and although he is working right at the end of "good ham" he never tips over it into bad ham; not sure why we had to have him flying everywhere but his performance was good. Dalton is a good addition in theory but he suffers from the "too much going on" problem because he never has a chance to be more than a "famous face doing a stern presence" type performance and as a result he doesn't carry a lot of threat or weight – doesn't help that his scenes appear to have been shot in a conference room with really thick curtains. Tate does her thing but I'm not sure what possible value June Whitfield added to proceedings. Everyone else is not particularly great and there is a prevalence of so-so acting below the top two or three names, but special mention should go to Ifeachor (the PM's daughter), because she is surprisingly wooden considering she is part of the RSC.

The End of Time is still a good double special though. It comes with the usual noisy effects and excitement and global threats that you expect from the Christmas specials but also does its best to draw an emotional close to the era of Tennant as Dr Who. It does suffer from having too much going on and this constant feeling that everything is being pushed to be as big and as meaningful as possible, which does hurt it to a certain degree but Tennant's performance helps it a lot and the rest of the noise and energy helps keep the viewer from losing interest in it. Not as great as I had hoped perhaps but still a good conclusion and certainly better than some of the specials leading up to this point.

Not the Best Premise, but Gorgeously Executed

Author: Jess P from United States
15 April 2010

Ever since the series four finale, my biggest concern with the new Doctor Who series is that they're making things too big too fast. This is a show I hope will last for many, many, many series to come. But how long can it go on at this rate? Not even the beginning of the fifth series, and the Doctor has already faced the end of existence itself - and now, the end of time? This is BIG stuff!

The returning Time Lords answered too many questions, revealed too many secrets and layers. By the end of this episode, there are precious few overriding story arcs and long-term questions left unresolved. I can't help but wonder, what's left? The Doctor has just faced the end of time and existence themselves - how could the stakes possibly get higher? Wouldn't the return of the Time Lords be better suited for the final episode of the entire show?

Yet despite my fears that the show is burning out too quickly, this episode managed to keep me enthralled. Why? The character dimensions. And nothing shows this better than the very end. Here we have the Tenth Doctor, who through his entire existence has shown no hesitation or even concern at the thought of dying as a last resort. But faced with a prophesy of his own demise, unbelievable dimensions come in to play - the Doctor, for what seems like the first time, struggles with his own mortality. And Tennant executed it STUNNINGLY.

I could watch the very last scenes of this episode over and over and over again. Having saved the earth once again, and finding himself still alive, the Doctor shows for the first time an overwhelming appreciation for his own survival - only to discover the real meaning of the prophecy "He will knock four times, and you will die." Now, instead of himself or humanity, the Doctor is faced with the choice of saving himself or a single ordinary man. And here, the character of the Doctor breaks down in a way deeper than ever seen before. Truly and selfishly scared, he begins to say things you would never suppose the Doctor to say.

"Look at you. Not remotely important! But me? I could do so much more! So much more! But this is what I get – my reward. IT'S NOT FAIR!"

If you don't feel your heart breaking in that scene, you might not have one. And even the last words of this Doctor, who had spent his entire existence ready to go at any moment, were a testament to his own mortality, and (to what extent the phrase could apply) his human nature – "I don't want to go."

Whatever you feel about the return of the Time Lords, about Gallifrey and the Master, or any other part of the episode, there is no denying that the end of the Tenth Doctor was truly, heart-rendingly, exceptionally executed.

DOCTOR WHO's (The End of Time) was AWESOME

Author: shannaraazsunner from United States
2 January 2010

Russell T. Davies wrote an excellent script. Some nice twists and shocking turns.

John Simm's performance as The Master was incredible. From his performance as the bad guy to his tears and sacrificing his-self for the Doctor. Or was it also out of vengeance for what the Timelords did to him?

Bernard Cribbins was outstanding. Wilfred Mott's adventure with the Doctor was very emotional.

Loved the Doctor's line "FIXED THE HEATING". As always fixing what's broken and off to saving the day. With a cool action scene following.

David Tennant had me in tears the last 20 minutes of the show. With his sacrifice in saving Wilfred to saying his farewells to all his friends was heartbreaking.

Then the Ood singing the Doctor's Song. I was rolled in a ball, gasping in tears.

The tears came harder when the Doctor uttered his last words before he regenerated.

The incredible regenerating scene with the TARDIS exploding inside and spiraling back to Earth on fire.

Lastly, Matt Smith had me laughing at the end.

It was genius from the writing, directing, acting and music. AWESOME!

Very nice send off for David Tennant and Russell T. Davies.

Typical RTD Times Squared

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
3 January 2010

I really enjoyed the first part of The End Of Time . My initial reaction was that my parents enjoyed it too . My mother did confess later that she didn't like it much and my dad spent the broadcast of this episode doing something else which probably speaks volumes . After seeing this finale I would probably have been somewhat doubly embarrassed watching it with both my parents . My mother later told me she'd have rather played Mafia Wars on her PC than watch the show . I couldn't't blame her . This is a major disappointment after what had gone before and it can all be laid at the door of Russell T Davies

The whole tone of the structure veers all over the place . One scene such as the Shimmer creatures feels it's written for 5 year olds then we get a sometimes touching human drama scene followed by TRANSFORMERS type action sequences . Unfortunately after 20 minutes your head will be spinning as to what all this adds up to . Donna expends psychic energy from her body , Gallifrey appears above Earth , The Doctor threatens to shoot The Master and Rassilon but at no point do we get credible explanations for all this . Every drama must have have its own reality but with something as far fetched as this its own reality must be even more important . There is none so it falls apart as drama

There are some good elements . Bernard Cribbins gives a touching performance whilst Timothy Dalton is quite simply superb as Lord Rassilon . The unfortunate thing about this is how terrible they show everyone else to be . Simms changes from entertaining camp to irritating camp and Tennant leaves little impression which is unforgivable as it's his swansong from the show

There is a massive goodbye sequence that makes the ending of RETURN OF THE KING appear as a blink and you'll miss it moment which will undoubtedly satisfy the show's younger/teenage fans but for older and more cynical fans will come as no surprise since we're used to RTD's writing . It goes on and on and is rather cheesy and self indulgent , Thankfully since RTD has left we can perhaps look forward to more subtle season finales

The big showpiece is the regeneration sequence so I'll be reserving judgment until I've seen more of Matt Smith but so far I've not been too impressed . More shouty moments and a catchphrase of " Geronimo " and the BBC trailer seems to show we'll be seeing lots of running about , Doctor snogging companion , and things blowing up . Let's hope they've shown all the bad bits . I can see however The End Of Time becoming the point when many audience members will claim it's the last time they really enjoyed the show

The day the time lords return.. and a devastating goodbye.

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
30 August 2015

The Master has literally become everyone, and Donna is in mortal danger, having been the only person, apart from the Doctor, Wilf and the two Vinvocci not to change. On a devastated Gallifrey The Lord President talks to the high council, the Visionary sees their imminent destruction, but in defiance The Lord President refuses to give up and seeks a return, and uses a device through the Master. The Doctor, Wilf and Vinvocci escape into deep space, and the Master links up to hear the the sound the Timelords had sent him and the link. The Doctor returns in the ship and breaks into The Naismith House where the Master is based, but the Master has started to bring Gallifrey through, and a desperate battle begins.

The Visionary was awful, like that silly woman back in The Ribos Operation, otherwise the return of Gallifrey was very good.

Timothy Dalton was very strong as The Lord President, such a commanding performance, hugely charismatic.

Catherine Tate is not given enough screen time, although the ending is a satisfying one for her, it was also nice to see the forth Doctor's crew get a final moment.

Bernard Cribbins is utterly glorious once again, Wilf has been such a lovable character, it's great we learn so much more about his character, what a cruel twist of fate..

The first part was a bit hit and miss, this was much better. I was delighted to see the return of Gallifrey and the time lords, they were particularly well realised. John Simm has had a much better script, way better in Part 2. Tennant is truly magical, he has given one of the best ever performances, from the scenes with Wilf at the start to the devastating ending. The ending itself is truly phenomenal, talk about epic and heartbreaking, THE moment made me go cold, and what of the Master? it's no surprise Missy was a bit miffed! 9/10

One unanswered question, was the woman in white the Doctor's mother or a weeping Angel? Or both, how he looked at Sylvia and Donna, a clue?

Doctor Who - The End of Time Part 2

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
3 January 2015

The last hurrah (so to speak) of Tennant's tenure as the Doctor has him against a great deal of difficulty. The Time Lords, led by Timothy Dalton's Lord President, plan to return through a link that can be provided by John Simm's The Master, thanks in part to a white diamond "star" applied to the Vinvocci "medical device". Describing plots for Doctor Who often make me giggle. Anyway, the Doctor must deal with a psychopathic, unhinged Master who had previously transformed all of the planet into his likeness, with his consciousness. Donna attains "a part of the Doctor" which keeps her from suffering a similar fate. Wilfred gets to tag along with the Doctor and through his own dignity and integrity (what he has experienced, his stories, are an inspiration to the Doctor who totally understands why he continues to defend and protect mankind as he has for so long) is quite a significant ingredient in how the "man in the blue box" is able to summon strength and make specific decisions that will possibly halt bloodshed and end their conflict with a different resolution than death. Naismith's mansion, notably where the Vinvocci medical device is located, is primarily where a brunt of the plot takes place, besides the Vinvocci spaceship orbiting earth. The "Green Cacti" alien Vinvocci duo "disguised as human" to be a part of the Naismith team kept their ship in orbit and it helps the Doctor contemplate what his next move needs to be as Wilfred provides some support most helpful. Dalton provides his typical gusto and robust delivery as this towering leader of a unique alien race the Doctor and The Master derive from. Simm, with his hyperactive mania, teeters between genius and madness, see-sawing between devoting himself to the Time Lords' cause and trying to understand how their mission would either hinder or help him. And the Doctor, with a gun provided by Wilfred, standing between both the Lord President and The Master, with the fate of mankind hanging in the balance. Of course, the Doctor, when all seems to be hinging on what he does with a pistol, he makes the exactly correct decision few, if any, would be able to. Following the conclusion of the storyline involving Gallifrey (the Time Lords' planet, it coming through the "link" like the aliens who live on it) as Earth and its humankind face extinction, Tennant gets a chance to help characters during the time his Doctor was involved with them during his era as the Time Lord. He gets to rescue Wilfred, who had put himself in a booth that was loaded with radiation during the Time Lord standoff, and interfere positively in the lives of those he truly cared for. Tennant's realization that his time is over as a much beloved character (and he himself much beloved as the character) was about to end is quite palpable and emotionally potent indeed. A fine send off to one of the all time greats to play the popular sci-fi character. Seeing Donna's marriage and bidding goodbye to Wilfred one last time (and dropping off a nice present for her) before his transformation into Matt Smith allows the Doctor closure. The impending knowledge that your time is up even though you don't want to leave is really constant throughout this, especially at the end. While one song ends, another story is far from over. Matt Smith's emergence, as if a gung-ho rodeo-rider taking in excitedly the adventures ahead, really stamp his entire three year tenure as the Doctor just ahead. Tennant's work with Ribbins in their scenes together--as in the previous episode--are poignant and heartfelt.