"Doctor Who: The End of Time: Part One"

"Doctor Who" The End of Time: Part One (2009)

« Prev | 132 of 140 Episodes | Next »

Simm steals the show

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
26 December 2009

As time runs out for David Tennant's Doctor an old foe returns and a greater danger lurks in the back ground; not being revealed till the final scene. Even though he was killed in a previous episode followers of The Master have found a way to bring him back. Once back The Master is hungry, very, very hungry and also quite insane; watching him devour a turkey is a sight to behold. The Ood have alerted The Doctor that time is literally running out so he returns to Earth where everybody is being haunted by a dream which nobody except Donna's grand father Wilfred Mott can remember.

The Master is captured by a wealthy individual who has taken position of alien technology which can cure anything; including ageing, he expects The Master to repair the machine so he could bestow immortality on his daughter, The Master has another use for it though, a use that will have effects for almost all of humanity and causes Donna's memories to return; memories that could do her serious harm.

David Tennant did a fine job as The Doctor but John Simm stole the show being genuinely frightening as the increasingly insane Master, other fine performances were provided by David Harewood as the wealthy Joshua Naismith, Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott and Timothy Dalton as the member or a race we didn't expect to see again. It was nice to see Catherine Tate return as Donna even if it was a comparatively small part compared to her previous appearances. I found the episode was slightly let down by The Master's ability to shoot beams of energy from his hands and leap hundreds of feet into the air, he didn't need these gimmicks and was much more frightening when the camera was close to his face and he was rambling insanely or devouring something. That is only a tiny complaint though and am looking forward to part two.

Despite Some Flaws A Thoroughly Entertaining Piece Of Television

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
26 December 2009

I can't say I was overwhelmed by any of the DOCTOR WHO specials . Neither was I impressed with any of the previous Christmas specials so when we get a two episode Chritmas special I wasn't getting any hopes built up . Seeing as it signals the end of the Tennant/ Russell T Davies era I was expecting Rusty to throw in everything including the kitchen sink . Think of the previous season finales squared and you have the idea . Thankfully after seeing this episode not only were my low expectations met they were far exceeded

No story in the show has ever been perfect but RTD has restrained himself with a relatively simple plot . Someone builds something they shouldn't have and the story's villain uses it to build a " master race " . There that's the plot explained perfectly and while there's not enough narrative to reward an audience on repeated viewing it's a simple enough story well told for the most part . Thankfully Rusty hasn't thrown a massive spanner in the works buy bringing in anally retentive past references every five minutes . We're reintroduced to the Ood again , Donna Noble has a cameo , there's a couple of nods to the season three finale and a cliffhanger ending featuring the Time Lords . Just enough to remind die hard fans why nostalgia plays a large part in their lives without alienating casual viewers

This probably won't be remembered as a masterwork from the show and undoubtedly in years to come it will be remembered as reintroducing the Time Lords as well as writing out Tennant from the show . What The End Of Time does do very well is entertain the audience and much of this revolves around John Simms as the Master . No longer Prime Minister Harold Saxon the portrayal is a sort of hybrid between Hannibal Lector and a chav . But Simms is having so much fun playing the role it's impossible for the audience not to be swept along with him

There are some flaws . As has been pointed out already there's little internal logic for the Master to be able to fire lightning bolts and jump hundreds of feet in the air and seems to be an excuse for The Mill FX team to show us what they can do while June Whitfield is the most superfluous guest star ever featured in the show . There's also the Shimmer creatures which seem to be included to simply impress young children but seem somewhat silly compared to the more dramatic aspects of the story . These however are very minor flaws and I watched this episode in front of my parents without feeling any shame or embarrassment to being a die hard fan .Truth be told I'm sure they were thoroughly entertained as well as millions of other people who sat down to watch this . Whilst not being a great piece of storytelling it is undoubtedly 60 minutes of highly entertaining high quality television

End of an era (Spoiler Alert)

Author: treebeardman from United Kingdom
29 December 2009

Its the end for DT and RTD, and they are throwing the book at this one. Actually I think RTD is putting in everything he can, just because he can. He wont have to tie up loose ends, so leaves a bit of a mess for the successor. There are far too many special effects, and a long wait for any plot.

The Gates are much like the ghosts cybermen episode when Rose left. The green spiky alien is just like the red alien on the Xmas Titanic. The warnings from the Ood are a bit like the warnings from the face of bo. Eternal life for the PMs daughter, bit like Lazurus/captain Jack. The Doctor watchers was a bit like the man in the shed in Rose, and Elton in love&monsters.

The lady in white seems familiar but wait for ep2. The Master just keeps returning, despite being killed many times, he is becoming a bit supernatural, having here some superpowers (superman/spiderman). He sends energy bolts and leaps tall buildings. John Simm is fantastic mind.

How does the masters ring and an imprint of the lips of Lucy bring back the master? Bit Harry Potter, with voldermort returning.

I hated the throwaway lines at the start, particularly his getting married to Queen Elizabeth 1? Reminds me when they decided to give him a daughter, just more baggage for future writers to cope with, or perhaps ignore. For 5 years he has been telling us the time lords are finished, so guess who makes an appearance? He rushes about but whats the hurry, he is a TIME LORD. He has a Tardis. Dear dear.

Good to see Wilfred and Donna. June Whitfield was wasted (so far).

It is still entertaining, but after such a long wait it is disappointing. Please please new writers, bring back plot, and some science too.

An Exciting, Fun, and Wacky First Part to David Tennant's Farewell Story (Spoiler-free, hopefully)

Author: 1stbrigade from United States
28 December 2009

After taking the good Doctor into some very dark territory with "The Waters of Mars," Russell T. Davies returns the Doctor back to his roots with "The End of Time, Part One," the first half of David Tennant's final story as the Tenth Doctor. From the very beginning of the episode, Davies intends to create a memorable story to give Tennant a fond farewell. And the story really is brilliant, exciting, wacky, and scary in the tradition of classic "Doctor Who." The cast and crew do a fantastic job of creating this amazing story, preparing us for the second half of the story, which promises to give Tennant an epic, fantastic farewell. While some may find it too outlandish, it does so with great fun and excitement, making it worthwhile. And the cliffhanger is the biggest, most exciting one yet, ending the show on a double-whammy! Longtime fans will surely love it! Allons-y! Grade: A+

Doctor Who - The End of Time Part 1

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
3 January 2015

In this first episode of a two-part conclusion to the terrific stint of David Tennant as the Doctor has him having to deal with a reborn John Simm's The Master, insatiably hungry and intent on global control. Before you know it a wealthy London citizen (David Harewood) has provided him with alien technology (a type of "transporter" that "mends whole planets", a type of medical device that can perhaps provide David's daughter with eternal life if it can be fixed) in the hopes that The Master will repair it so it can benefit him. Harewood's Naismith had kidnapped The Master after he was in the middle of tormenting the Doctor. The Master has attained the ability to fire off immense beams of intense lightning and can uncannily leap high into the air. The Master seems compelled to feed in order to survive but his condition, according to the Doctor, is tearing him apart. How is The Master alive yet again? Well, he has an order dedicated to him, and they recovered his signet ring after the Doctor had burned his body to ash. The signet ring and "biologicals" from the lips of The Master's wife, Lucy Saxon (Alexandra Moen), held prisoner until needed, were able to resurrect the Doctor's arch nemesis. Lucy does try to destroy The Master within the prison as he is being reborn, failing to do so, as the Doctor surveys the remains of the building which is gutted and skeletal. The Ood feel a "great darkness", a "shadow" about to come across the universe, and what this refers to is actually not The Master, but something even more dangerous…the Doctor's own Time Lord brethren (led by Timothy Dalton, of all people, who also narrates this special Christmas episode) plan to "end time itself". So to say the Doctor has his hands full is an understatement. To use an alien medical device to transform the entire human race into the likenesses and personalities of The Master himself is enough of a huge plot problem fit for the annual Doctor Who Christmas special, but for the close of the first part to have Dalton encouraging support from his Time Lord army on destroying time itself sets a grand stage for the second part to come. It was nice to see Wilfred (Bernard Cribbins) assisting the Doctor in catching and stopping The Master, and the use of Donna (Catherine Tate), unaware of anything regarding the "Man in the Blue Box" any longer, proves to be quite a dramatic device as everyone changes around her and all the suppressed memories return. This episode was your basic set up for the slam bang finale of Tennant as the Doctor, allowing Simm to rabidly devour the scenery as his character does a turkey or meat that passes before him. This could be quite a pop culture item in the future as Barak Obama, the current Pres, is mentioned as a potential salvation to the burgeoning recession, turned into The Master during a press conference like the rest of the planet! Tennant's approaching end as the Doctor is hinted at in quite an emotional scene as the actor does seem to be speaking from his own heart through the character acknowledging his own end was near, close, while speaking with Wilfred in a diner.

A very bad special only good acting could save, and still that is not enough

Author: (mindless@lavabit.com) from Italy
26 December 2009

---- Contains Spoilers ----- I don't know where to begin to tell how awful this episode was; so I will list the thing that IMO were good before proceed to some serious bashing of the ridiculous writing that has become a trademark of this new series of DW.

In short, take everything that is bad about Davies "style" (i.e. "coincidences", deus ex machina, fast endings for no reason whatsoever, and more), factor it for this high-expectation Christmas special, and you will have an idea of what it's like.

I especially liked Simm's, Tennant's and Cribb's acting; to me these were the only bright spots in a really ugly piece of television. Simm's in particular was really good, even more so perhaps given the crap RTD gave him in the plot, so I will start complaining about what they (RTD) did to the Master's character; please bear with me, but I really cannot stand shitty writing in a serial I like.

Now, the Master is supposed to be a time lord, and he should be quite scary even then. More so, perhaps, if you make of him the psychotic monomaniac he has become. But a time lord is not a dark lord of the Sith. That is just wrong, there is no excuse except for a very lazy writer. I mean, the resurrection thing is cheesy enough even without the "flying and shooting energy beams" crap.

And since we are talking about that resurrection thing, let me say how much I hated that scene. It makes no sense no matter how do you think about it.

The Naysmiths were, in a word, unnecessary. Really, do the mental effort of removing them from the story and you will find that there is nothing to be missed. Moreover, the actress who played the daugther Abigail was just terrible; so in fact you could remove them and gain in quality.

The visual effects were terrible, especially the final one. That "shaking face" thing is not only ugly to see, it also screams "They are cutting our budget!". The gods know if they don't have a good reason to do so.

The whole "timelords returning" thing is a crappy reset button. Unfortunately this is what you get when you dare giving RTD white paper. Oh, I am so happy he is leaving this show. By the way, i think that the return will not happen, for the very simple reason that no writer could be so stupid to give away the coup de scene an hour earlier. But still...

Faithful to the unconventional approach of previous episodes!

Author: gervazilla from United States
27 December 2009

For fans of Dr. Who, the first of this two segment special is a must see. Part of the charm of Dr. Who has always been the cheesy sets and melodramatic acting. To a certain extent, "The End of Time" follows these aspects of previous episodes of the series; yet, there is a new emotional intensity that draws the viewer in and makes the essence of the story memorable. Moreover, the clues to the future in the storyline are mixed with references to the past in a manner that is intriguing—creating a puzzle for the audience to ponder or attempt to figure out. In not conforming to recent demands in marketing, the writer and producers remain true to a quirky sense of humor and an offbeat style that made followers love the show from the beginning.

Worst episode ever

Author: sc789 from United Kingdom
7 January 2010

This episode is a total mess. It has plots here - more plots there - and more over there - and none of them make sense. For example, there's the resurrection of the master and the whole thing with Lucy Saxon and all those people...what happened to them. Then the master's superpowers...where did they come from. Basically I think the point of the episode was to get as many people and special effects into it as possible. I mean, the superpowers aren't even needed for the story - they just ruin it. The whole episode cannot be described as anything more than little odd ideas stuck together by little bits of loose tape that just marginally form the shape of a story.

Amazing!

Author: nahid_h from United Kingdom
30 December 2009

This first part of a two-part special that will say goodbye to the Doctor who, quite frankly, played the role like a genius. I mean from the second it started it had me really intrigued as to why did Wilfred Mott (Bernard Cribbin, playing the role brilliantly.) have images of The Master (John Simm, who basically stole the whole show as the villain) in his head.

The whole episode was just thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat and the cliffhanger was simply sublime, completely amazing. When the narrator parts came on i was a bit confused but the ending when it showed that the Time Lords (The Doctors & The Masters Origin) had survived the Time War and were plotting what was basically "For The End of Time Itself!" Part 2 must take this to the next level because the writers, the actors, the director and all the people who worked on the first part were completely out of this world when it came to this episode. AMAZING!!

In the doctors words: "what!! "

Author: mx-records from Netherlands
26 December 2009

THIS IS A REVIEW!! Yeah for everyone who hasn't seen the special jet, I might spoil a bit around here and review the happenings!! So don't read it!!!

So what have we seen here, nice acting, some bad and somehow unnecessary special effects, some nice moments of an unknown side of the doctor (ooh very human) and a to fast story development at the end.

Nice acting of Tennant but this was the only thing I was really sure would happen. I was afraid of what is to come after the good build up in "Waters of mars", you could actually do so much. But they somehow (until now) just made a typical doctor movie out of it. The master returns, we all knew this would happen. It was awesome to see the doctor begging for help, but then the story just got out of hand and the master suddenly stumbled into a position of world domination. What the hell! The green aliens, good Idea, funny, the tragic moment on the other hand was to see that this "living forever machine" was only build for the daughter from the head of the British empire. no!no!no! this scene was so unbelievable and all happened to fast, no background info about the people and why the actually are so selfish! And when they try to get Tourchwood and the 3rd season into account, then please tell me how this selfish prime minister is elected, the world should have learned from the things which happened. This was all to cheap.

But hey this was all the steam, now some words of reconciliation to Christmas. I love that grandpa is the companion. Awesome!! The Odd, awesome!! The special effects looked stupid, all of them! I will wait until new year and hope for the best, they have a lot of things set in strange positions. I hope it was all necessary to make the second part awesome and a worthy last time for Tennant as the doctor. Until than!!