"Doctor Who: The End of Time: Part One"

"Doctor Who" The End of Time: Part One (2009)

« Prev | 120 of 125 Episodes | Next »

Simm steals the show

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
26 December 2009

As time runs out for David Tennant's Doctor an old foe returns and a greater danger lurks in the back ground; not being revealed till the final scene. Even though he was killed in a previous episode followers of The Master have found a way to bring him back. Once back The Master is hungry, very, very hungry and also quite insane; watching him devour a turkey is a sight to behold. The Ood have alerted The Doctor that time is literally running out so he returns to Earth where everybody is being haunted by a dream which nobody except Donna's grand father Wilfred Mott can remember.

The Master is captured by a wealthy individual who has taken position of alien technology which can cure anything; including ageing, he expects The Master to repair the machine so he could bestow immortality on his daughter, The Master has another use for it though, a use that will have effects for almost all of humanity and causes Donna's memories to return; memories that could do her serious harm.

David Tennant did a fine job as The Doctor but John Simm stole the show being genuinely frightening as the increasingly insane Master, other fine performances were provided by David Harewood as the wealthy Joshua Naismith, Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott and Timothy Dalton as the member or a race we didn't expect to see again. It was nice to see Catherine Tate return as Donna even if it was a comparatively small part compared to her previous appearances. I found the episode was slightly let down by The Master's ability to shoot beams of energy from his hands and leap hundreds of feet into the air, he didn't need these gimmicks and was much more frightening when the camera was close to his face and he was rambling insanely or devouring something. That is only a tiny complaint though and am looking forward to part two.

Despite Some Flaws A Thoroughly Entertaining Piece Of Television

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
26 December 2009

I can't say I was overwhelmed by any of the DOCTOR WHO specials . Neither was I impressed with any of the previous Christmas specials so when we get a two episode Chritmas special I wasn't getting any hopes built up . Seeing as it signals the end of the Tennant/ Russell T Davies era I was expecting Rusty to throw in everything including the kitchen sink . Think of the previous season finales squared and you have the idea . Thankfully after seeing this episode not only were my low expectations met they were far exceeded

No story in the show has ever been perfect but RTD has restrained himself with a relatively simple plot . Someone builds something they shouldn't have and the story's villain uses it to build a " master race " . There that's the plot explained perfectly and while there's not enough narrative to reward an audience on repeated viewing it's a simple enough story well told for the most part . Thankfully Rusty hasn't thrown a massive spanner in the works buy bringing in anally retentive past references every five minutes . We're reintroduced to the Ood again , Donna Noble has a cameo , there's a couple of nods to the season three finale and a cliffhanger ending featuring the Time Lords . Just enough to remind die hard fans why nostalgia plays a large part in their lives without alienating casual viewers

This probably won't be remembered as a masterwork from the show and undoubtedly in years to come it will be remembered as reintroducing the Time Lords as well as writing out Tennant from the show . What The End Of Time does do very well is entertain the audience and much of this revolves around John Simms as the Master . No longer Prime Minister Harold Saxon the portrayal is a sort of hybrid between Hannibal Lector and a chav . But Simms is having so much fun playing the role it's impossible for the audience not to be swept along with him

There are some flaws . As has been pointed out already there's little internal logic for the Master to be able to fire lightning bolts and jump hundreds of feet in the air and seems to be an excuse for The Mill FX team to show us what they can do while June Whitfield is the most superfluous guest star ever featured in the show . There's also the Shimmer creatures which seem to be included to simply impress young children but seem somewhat silly compared to the more dramatic aspects of the story . These however are very minor flaws and I watched this episode in front of my parents without feeling any shame or embarrassment to being a die hard fan .Truth be told I'm sure they were thoroughly entertained as well as millions of other people who sat down to watch this . Whilst not being a great piece of storytelling it is undoubtedly 60 minutes of highly entertaining high quality television

End of an era (Spoiler Alert)

Author: treebeardman from United Kingdom
29 December 2009

Its the end for DT and RTD, and they are throwing the book at this one. Actually I think RTD is putting in everything he can, just because he can. He wont have to tie up loose ends, so leaves a bit of a mess for the successor. There are far too many special effects, and a long wait for any plot.

The Gates are much like the ghosts cybermen episode when Rose left. The green spiky alien is just like the red alien on the Xmas Titanic. The warnings from the Ood are a bit like the warnings from the face of bo. Eternal life for the PMs daughter, bit like Lazurus/captain Jack. The Doctor watchers was a bit like the man in the shed in Rose, and Elton in love&monsters.

The lady in white seems familiar but wait for ep2. The Master just keeps returning, despite being killed many times, he is becoming a bit supernatural, having here some superpowers (superman/spiderman). He sends energy bolts and leaps tall buildings. John Simm is fantastic mind.

How does the masters ring and an imprint of the lips of Lucy bring back the master? Bit Harry Potter, with voldermort returning.

I hated the throwaway lines at the start, particularly his getting married to Queen Elizabeth 1? Reminds me when they decided to give him a daughter, just more baggage for future writers to cope with, or perhaps ignore. For 5 years he has been telling us the time lords are finished, so guess who makes an appearance? He rushes about but whats the hurry, he is a TIME LORD. He has a Tardis. Dear dear.

Good to see Wilfred and Donna. June Whitfield was wasted (so far).

It is still entertaining, but after such a long wait it is disappointing. Please please new writers, bring back plot, and some science too.

An Exciting, Fun, and Wacky First Part to David Tennant's Farewell Story (Spoiler-free, hopefully)

Author: 1stbrigade from United States
28 December 2009

After taking the good Doctor into some very dark territory with "The Waters of Mars," Russell T. Davies returns the Doctor back to his roots with "The End of Time, Part One," the first half of David Tennant's final story as the Tenth Doctor. From the very beginning of the episode, Davies intends to create a memorable story to give Tennant a fond farewell. And the story really is brilliant, exciting, wacky, and scary in the tradition of classic "Doctor Who." The cast and crew do a fantastic job of creating this amazing story, preparing us for the second half of the story, which promises to give Tennant an epic, fantastic farewell. While some may find it too outlandish, it does so with great fun and excitement, making it worthwhile. And the cliffhanger is the biggest, most exciting one yet, ending the show on a double-whammy! Longtime fans will surely love it! Allons-y! Grade: A+

A very bad special only good acting could save, and still that is not enough

Author: (mindless@lavabit.com) from Italy
26 December 2009

---- Contains Spoilers ----- I don't know where to begin to tell how awful this episode was; so I will list the thing that IMO were good before proceed to some serious bashing of the ridiculous writing that has become a trademark of this new series of DW.

In short, take everything that is bad about Davies "style" (i.e. "coincidences", deus ex machina, fast endings for no reason whatsoever, and more), factor it for this high-expectation Christmas special, and you will have an idea of what it's like.

I especially liked Simm's, Tennant's and Cribb's acting; to me these were the only bright spots in a really ugly piece of television. Simm's in particular was really good, even more so perhaps given the crap RTD gave him in the plot, so I will start complaining about what they (RTD) did to the Master's character; please bear with me, but I really cannot stand shitty writing in a serial I like.

Now, the Master is supposed to be a time lord, and he should be quite scary even then. More so, perhaps, if you make of him the psychotic monomaniac he has become. But a time lord is not a dark lord of the Sith. That is just wrong, there is no excuse except for a very lazy writer. I mean, the resurrection thing is cheesy enough even without the "flying and shooting energy beams" crap.

And since we are talking about that resurrection thing, let me say how much I hated that scene. It makes no sense no matter how do you think about it.

The Naysmiths were, in a word, unnecessary. Really, do the mental effort of removing them from the story and you will find that there is nothing to be missed. Moreover, the actress who played the daugther Abigail was just terrible; so in fact you could remove them and gain in quality.

The visual effects were terrible, especially the final one. That "shaking face" thing is not only ugly to see, it also screams "They are cutting our budget!". The gods know if they don't have a good reason to do so.

The whole "timelords returning" thing is a crappy reset button. Unfortunately this is what you get when you dare giving RTD white paper. Oh, I am so happy he is leaving this show. By the way, i think that the return will not happen, for the very simple reason that no writer could be so stupid to give away the coup de scene an hour earlier. But still...

Worst episode ever

Author: sc789 from United Kingdom
7 January 2010

This episode is a total mess. It has plots here - more plots there - and more over there - and none of them make sense. For example, there's the resurrection of the master and the whole thing with Lucy Saxon and all those people...what happened to them. Then the master's superpowers...where did they come from. Basically I think the point of the episode was to get as many people and special effects into it as possible. I mean, the superpowers aren't even needed for the story - they just ruin it. The whole episode cannot be described as anything more than little odd ideas stuck together by little bits of loose tape that just marginally form the shape of a story.

Faithful to the unconventional approach of previous episodes!

Author: gervazilla from United States
27 December 2009

For fans of Dr. Who, the first of this two segment special is a must see. Part of the charm of Dr. Who has always been the cheesy sets and melodramatic acting. To a certain extent, "The End of Time" follows these aspects of previous episodes of the series; yet, there is a new emotional intensity that draws the viewer in and makes the essence of the story memorable. Moreover, the clues to the future in the storyline are mixed with references to the past in a manner that is intriguing—creating a puzzle for the audience to ponder or attempt to figure out. In not conforming to recent demands in marketing, the writer and producers remain true to a quirky sense of humor and an offbeat style that made followers love the show from the beginning.

Amazing!

Author: nahid_h from United Kingdom
30 December 2009

This first part of a two-part special that will say goodbye to the Doctor who, quite frankly, played the role like a genius. I mean from the second it started it had me really intrigued as to why did Wilfred Mott (Bernard Cribbin, playing the role brilliantly.) have images of The Master (John Simm, who basically stole the whole show as the villain) in his head.

The whole episode was just thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat and the cliffhanger was simply sublime, completely amazing. When the narrator parts came on i was a bit confused but the ending when it showed that the Time Lords (The Doctors & The Masters Origin) had survived the Time War and were plotting what was basically "For The End of Time Itself!" Part 2 must take this to the next level because the writers, the actors, the director and all the people who worked on the first part were completely out of this world when it came to this episode. AMAZING!!

In the doctors words: "what!! "

Author: mx-records from Netherlands
26 December 2009

THIS IS A REVIEW!! Yeah for everyone who hasn't seen the special jet, I might spoil a bit around here and review the happenings!! So don't read it!!!

So what have we seen here, nice acting, some bad and somehow unnecessary special effects, some nice moments of an unknown side of the doctor (ooh very human) and a to fast story development at the end.

Nice acting of Tennant but this was the only thing I was really sure would happen. I was afraid of what is to come after the good build up in "Waters of mars", you could actually do so much. But they somehow (until now) just made a typical doctor movie out of it. The master returns, we all knew this would happen. It was awesome to see the doctor begging for help, but then the story just got out of hand and the master suddenly stumbled into a position of world domination. What the hell! The green aliens, good Idea, funny, the tragic moment on the other hand was to see that this "living forever machine" was only build for the daughter from the head of the British empire. no!no!no! this scene was so unbelievable and all happened to fast, no background info about the people and why the actually are so selfish! And when they try to get Tourchwood and the 3rd season into account, then please tell me how this selfish prime minister is elected, the world should have learned from the things which happened. This was all to cheap.

But hey this was all the steam, now some words of reconciliation to Christmas. I love that grandpa is the companion. Awesome!! The Odd, awesome!! The special effects looked stupid, all of them! I will wait until new year and hope for the best, they have a lot of things set in strange positions. I hope it was all necessary to make the second part awesome and a worthy last time for Tennant as the doctor. Until than!!

Shallow, derivative plotting and some poor acting makes for an unpromising start to Tennants Swan Song!

Author: Robert McElwaine from Clydebank, Scotland
26 February 2010

After four long years, 64 televised episodes (not counting the animated stories and charity specials) David Tennant was finally hanging up his sonic screwdriver as the tenth incarnation of the now contemporary and reinvented Time Lord. Having just previously featured in two one-hour, one off specials rather than the now requisite thirteen episode (ten story) which would comprise of a whole series (a move made to ease in the transition as new executive producer Steven Moffat took over the reigns from Russell T. Davies and the production team made redesigns to the next series TARDIS, opening credits sequence etc.), Tennant's long anticipated swan song, a two part Christmas special entitled "The End of Time" hit television screens across Britain. The subject of much hype and much speculation considering the ominous prophecy imparted to the Doctor at the conclusion of the passable "Planet of the Dead". The cryptic enigma of who would knock four times would soon be answered. But as if much of the fare that we have come to expect from RTD the premiere instalment of "The End of Time" promises much but delivers little in the way of a totally coherent or inspired and original plot.

The premise focus's on the Doctor having to return to the planet earth having received a vision with the aid of the elder of the Ood, whose home planet he was visiting. A vision which concerns the resurrection of the Doctor's arch-nemesis the Master who will in some way play a part in the end of time itself which will mean the destruction of future events that the Doctor currently inhabits with his alien associates. What soon follows is a rather poorly constructed and stilted resurrection scene which utilises the necessity of the inclusion of the Master's widowed wife Lucy Saxon (who married him when he had adopted the moniker of Harold Saxon) requiring the adage of a number of one dimensional Harold Saxon cultists as best be described who with no coherent rhyme or reason (apart from that they're devoted to their "Master") are willing to sacrifice their lives to revive the deceased Time Lord. As you might imagine things don't go according to plan (due to a rather miffed Lucy throwing a figurative spanner in the works) and things come to an end rather disastrously. But not after some mind blowing OTT performances from all involved, yes even Simm.

The story more or less develops from there and not well as would be hoped. With the Doctor being reunited with Wilfred Mott, one of RTD's more sublime and wonderful creations and played beautifully by the brilliant Bernard Cribbens it allows the pair to have a ingeniously acted but at times nonsensical moment (given the context of the series history) in a café. The brief moments involving former companion Donna played by comedian and actress Catherine Tate do add an emotional weight to proceedings and do to a slight extent forward the plot but the whole more "spiritual" angle which RTD has rather limply applied to past stories just seems like a rather lazy method of not allowing the Doctor to use his deductive powers and discover things for himself.

On top of this is Simm's given interpretation of the Doctor's adversary and fellow Gallifreyan who believe it or not is even more maniacal and twitchy than was last seen in series three's closing episodes. Although his performance is more, fine tuned than in his initial appearance in this episode I miss wily sociopath who the villain was, rather than the crazed Hannibal Lectre prototype that he has been moulded in to. A confrontation between the two rivals within a barren London wasteland though featuring some electrifying and eye-popping special effects is reasonably well handled and allows once the dust settles for Simm to deliver a solemn, reticent performance as he eloquently mulls over he and the Doctor's past childhood on Gallifrey and what they have both become. Both actor's cope with the repartee between their respective protagonists/antagonists well but unfortunately it's a moment that is all too brief and the Master is whisked away by paid mercenaries in the employ of potty millionaire (is there ever any other kind?) Joshua Naismith who requires the ingenious skills of the Master for his own ends which entails the Immortality Gate, a humdrum creation by RTD which is merely a variation of the Nanogenes seen in series one's "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" and themselves were ripped off from an old episode of "Red Dwarf". If this isn't bad enough Naismith's need for the Master and the gate which involves his daughter Abigail,(Tracy Ifechaor in a cringe-making and lamentably artificial performance)is shallow and trite to the point of boredom.

The Vincocci, a pair of alien scavengers played by "Being Human's" Sinead Keenan and Lawry Lewin are nicely realised by the two and do add something to the part and help move things along although it's to a rather nonsensical conclusion which isn't merely laughable and looks like something out of a bad sketch of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" not to mention it makes the inclusion of the Naismith's practically unnecessary, as they add little if anything to the plot making them nothing more than disposable, gratuitous fodder.

But as the episode comes to a close and we hear the beautifully resonant and strengthening tones of former Bond star Timothy Dalton which culminates in a spectacular although not altogether surprising reveal given a certain photo that leaked on to the internet. I couldn't help but get a tad excited as to the prospect of what the following weeks concluding part might bring. But given this was Russell T. Davies who had penned this story those hopes as had been the case before could be so, rudely shattered as had ultimately my hopes for this opening morsel.