IMDb > You Again (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Funny & Cute

Author: qualityguyftl from United States
11 October 2010

I just don't get the bad and nasty reviews on here. We saw the movie last night and thought it was very funny and cute. This is not a film to be taken seriously it is supposed to be farce and it was nice to unplug from the real world for two hours and just have some fun. Jamie Lee and Sigourney where great in their respective roles and the rest of the cast was good especially the young actor who played "Tim" he was great and the ending is funny. If your looking for some "I don't want to think for a while" time this is good afternoon flick to sit back, eat popcorn and watch. You may want to wait until the DVD comes out but this is not in anyway a bad movie. Considering the violent trash 3D overload crap Hollywood has been vomiting onto the screen this past year "You Again" was a breath of fresh air.

Why the Low Rating?

Author: (mamamia126) from United States
26 November 2010

Sure You Again isn't Oscar-material, but I don't think it was intended to be. But if you watch it keeping in mind that is a light-hearted, fun summer comedy for the family, you will appreciate it, mainly because of the strong and hilarious female cast. Sigourney Weaver, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kristen Bell and Odette Yustman all shine on-screen in their own ways, yet complement each other so well. The chemistry of the cast contributes to the film's charm. I was especially impressed with Kristen Bell because this is the first comedy/chick-flick I've personally seen her in, and she was really cute and funny! She had a lot of charm, great comedic timing, and I kept thinking in my head how gorgeous she is all throughout the movie. She's a really versatile actress. The veterans, Sigourney, Jamie Lee, and Betty White were all hilarious as well. If you're looking for a fun, positive family film with lots of laughs, you've found your movie.

Four Allegedly Mature Women In A Penis-Measuring Contest

Author: D_Burke from United States
11 February 2011

Being a guy, I always wonder, with these slapstick comedies that revolve around women with a wedding as a backdrop, do grown women over the age of 25 really become THIS immature? In "Bride Wars", you see two very attractive women pulling childish pranks on one another in preparation for their respective weddings, and somehow some women went to see that movie in droves. "You Again" received a spanking from major critics, most of whom were male, but actually turned in a profit at the box office.

I'm still really curious to know what women think when they see two women in their 20's pulling mean, callow tricks on each other, then seeing two other women in their 50's, who are attractive for their age I might add, trying to one-up each other while taking dance lessons in preparation for a wedding. Can real life women actually relate to these women on screen? Do they think their antics are funny?

Speaking as a man (whether or not that's important is up to you, the reader), I found these shenanigans ranging from cat fights to forced slapstick comedy neither amusing nor believable. If I saw my Mom acting the way either Jamie Lee Curtis or Sigourney Weaver do on screen, I would get angry, and quick.

But I digress. This movie starts out on a good note showing Marni Olsen (Kristen Bell) in high school with glasses, braces, and a bad case of acne. Although the nerd stereotype is a bit overdone here, somehow Bell succeeds in being unglamorous to the point where we, the audience, feel for her.

Her main tormentor is popular cheerleader J.J. (Odette Yustman), who is smoking hot, but effectively easy to dislike. However, the first mean prank you see pulled on Marni is her being crowd-surfed out of school by a group of jocks, including that mean cheerleader. Marni seems to be angry at J.J. and only J.J., somehow forgetting that she wasn't the only one in the crowd.

Fast forward less than a decade later, and Marni has lost the braces and glasses, is a successful P.R. executive, and looks as hot as she did in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" (2008). Her post-high school transformation is one many people would envy, but none of that matters when she finds out that her older brother is about to marry J.J., who is now known as Joanne.

Marni's mother Gail (Jamie Lee Curtis) tries to convince Marni to put the past behind her. That is, of course, until it's revealed that Joanne's aunt is Ramona (Sigourney Weaver), a woman who used to be "best friends" with Gail in high school. However, you know that unresolved animosity brews underneath the facade of these two women when a flashback reveals Ramona pushing Gail into a pool. Why she did this, the movie never really explains.

The rest of the movie remains laugh-less as Kristen Bell seems to trip over herself and bang her head into several different people and objects, almost as if she's Curly from The Three Stooges. One scene shows her falling off a running path into a nest of red ants. Her love interest tries to help her, but their heads bump into one another. Nuk nuk nuk!

Of course, when Marni and Joanne trade blows, there is the inevitable catfight with dialogue so vapid and uninspired. When Joanne throws a dish at Marni, she replies, "Ooh, kitty likes to scratch!" I don't know what other movie I've heard that phrase in, but it's probably because it has been in at least six other films.

With such hackneyed verbal taunts comes a fight that fails to intrigue. Dishes get broken, Marni smashes a vase Joanne got as a gift that she claims is "so expensive" (yet looks like one you could get for $2 at Goodwill), and Joanne dumps some sort of soup over Marni's head. Are you laughing yet? You wonder what is wrong with these people, and why such hot women have maturity levels that make Zach Galifianakis look like Don Draper. Even worse, once the pratfalls come to a close, the movie tries to sugarcoat itself with messages of peace, love and reconciliation, and the rest of the movie is boring.

I thought Betty White would be the breath of fresh air in this movie. After all, she was hilarious as a "Saturday Night Live" host last year. Unfortunately, she has no really funny lines, and a really dumb gag involving false teeth. Kristen Chenowith is also equally wasted as a flamboyant Southern belle wedding planner who seems to be in the wrong movie. There are also a handful of subplots that go nowhere, and scenes completely irrelevant to the story that go on forever. The cheerleader's dance to Kris Kross's "Jump" is energetic, but belongs in another "Bring It On" sequel.

"You Again" is a great looking movie with likable actors in it. Unfortunately, the lead actresses are forced to act childishly, then mend their ways through fluffy speeches about family values, aided by background music borrowed from past episodes of "Full House". It could have been a memorable film, but somehow chose not to be and went the "My Best Friend's Wedding" route.

What happens in high school should stay in high school

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
22 September 2010

(Synopsis) Marni (Kristen Bell), a new Vice President of a large Public Relations Agency, is returning home for her brother Will's (James Wolk) wedding. Marni discovers that his bride Joanna (Odette Yustman) is her former arch nemesis in high school who made her life a living hell. Joanna is now an angel in her brother's eyes, absolutely not the memories that Marni has of her tormentor. All of this is compounded by the fact that the bride's wealthy Aunt Romona (Sigourney Weaver) flies into town and comes face to face with Marni's mother Gail (Jamie Lee Curtis), who it turns out has an old high school score to settle with Gail. Marni must protect her brother by showing him Joanna's true colors before he makes the biggest mistake in his life. The claws are about to come out.

(My Comment) The movie itself is not that appealing as a romantic comedy, but it had a great female cast. The storyline is based on a small premise that what happens in high school lives with you forever which is absurd. Kristen Bell's performance as the pathetic pimply face girl with low self esteem, pressed into getting revenge, was right on target, and Odette Yustman as her rival was also good. I think the writers wasted the great talents of Sigourney Weaver and Jamie Lee Curtis. However, Betty White steals every scene she is in. Patrick Duffy and someone else (I won't say) make a cameo appearance. After about 45 minutes, the story was a little boring, but it picked up by the end. The lesson that is taught by this story is that you must learn from your past and everyone is entitled to a second chance, "maybe"? (Touchstone Pictures, Run Time 1:45, Rated PG)(4/10)

A Movie That Has Its Moments But Really Needs A Few More

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
25 September 2010

If nothing else, you have to like this for the high-powered cast that was put together. With well known stars such as Jamie Lee Curtis, Sigourney Weaver, Victor Garber and even Betty White you know there will be quality performances. The lead actress is the lesser known Kristen Bell (recently seen in Couples Retreat) and there are a number of cameos from the likes of Patrick Duffy and one who pops up for only a moment at the end who I guess I won't name since the cameo is uncredited and should probably come as a surprise. With those names, this couldn't be a disaster, and it wasn't.

The story has its moments. At times, it's actually very funny. Bell plays a former high school geek whose brother is suddenly getting married to the girl who made her teenage years a complete misery and whose wedding she decides she wants to break up. Meanwhile her mom (Curtis) discovers that the bride's aunt (Weaver) was someone she had a falling out with in high school. The unnamed cameo at the end is a continuation on the theme, with the mystery cameo being someone Betty White's character had a falling out with in high school, so these families have a 3 generation long feud to overcome to make this marriage work. To me, I thought most of the laughs occurred in two settings - when Curtis visits Weaver at her hotel and then at the rehearsal dinner. There are a lot of laughs in those scenes.

Unfortunately, although there are some good laughs in this, there aren't enough laughs in this. In fact, sometimes the movie gets downright heavy and far too serious; at times the characters seem to be truly hurtful to each other in a less than fun way, and the movie seems to forget that it's a comedy. It does have its moments. It just needed to have more.

A pain to watch

Author: AKenjiB from United States
24 May 2011

You Again is a romantic comedy lacking both romance and comedy. It stars Kristen Bell (who I LOVED on Veronica Mars), Odette Yustman (who is hot), Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween is great), and Sigourney Weaver (Alien, anybody) Alright, so we got a pretty solid cast for a pretty bad movie. Actually REALLY awful. 3rd worst film of 2010 for me.

So the movie starts off showing Kristen Bell as a teen playing the most stereotypical nerd that I've seen in a long time. She's so stereotypical that it's not believable. She was bullied by Odette Yustman. Exactly what Odette did (besides call her Moo) is unclear, but she was a BIG MEANIE! so several years later, Kristen bell is hotter and her bland brother James Wolk is getting married to Odette Yustman. Coincidentally, Odette's aunt is Sigourney Weaver. She was rivals with Kristen's mom Jamie Lee Curtis.

This is where the "humor" comes in. A lot of pratfalls and food getting dumped on people and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in a pointless and unfunny cameo. (He previously worked with director Andy Fickman in The Game Plan and Race to witch mountain) At only 105 minutes, this film moves at a snail's pace and was a pain to sit through. However, I have a rule that you can never leave a movie early because the end can change your mind entirely. Well the end is horrible

OK yeah. So the acting. Odette Yustman is hot but CAN NOT ACT! Kristen Bell is a good actress but she's very bland here. Betty White isn't given enough screen time. Victor Garber (of Alias fame) does absolutely nothing. and James Wolk is just a poor actor.

Even if you can get past the clichés and predictable storyline because you just want some good old fashioned escapism, that still doesn't excuse the fact that this film was boring and unfunny with a bunch of despicable characters and not a hint of wit or charm. I can't say that my expectations were particularly high for this movie, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Wow. Waste of time.

Geek to Sheek

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
21 December 2011

Let me get this out, I adore both Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver, when I saw the trailer to You Again, I wanted to love this movie so badly. Just because it has these two great actresses in it. Well, I caught it on the movie channel and now I can see why it was voted one of the worst movies of the year. I can forgive Jamie and Sigourney as they are older and have made some great career choices, they are allowed a mistake or two. However, what is Kristen Bell and Odette Yustman's excuses? They both had promising careers with Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Cloverfield and are now messing it up with their latest choices like When in Rome and The Unborn. The plot is actually really good, but the way they sugar coated it, it turned into a total disaster of a film and completely wasted my time.

Marni, an acne-riddled high school senior with glasses and braces, reveals how she is tormented and bullied by other girls, specifically Joanna, who made Marni's high school life miserable. Years later, in 2010, however, she is a successful public relations executive, recently promoted to a job in New York. When she flies home to her older brother's wedding, she discovers her brother Will is about to marry Joanna. Marni is also upset to see that Joanna fits in very well with the family. The plot thickens when her mother Gail meets up with Joanna's aunt Ramona, Gail's former best friend who pushed her into a pool at their senior prom. Ramona is now a successful, wealthy woman who owns several hotels and a private plane. Now they must all get along for her brother's sake, but it's a matter of letting the past go.

One of the major things that annoyed me is Betty White. Since she was "so adorable" in The Proposal, they figured they needed a "hip granny" for this movie too, it was rather pathetic and she looks like she's just about to give up on life. Then with the plot, it's like it had bipolar disorder, it just didn't know what it wanted. First Joanna is evil, then she's good, then she's evil, then she's good, then she's evil again, then she's good again? It didn't work, why not just make her evil all the way? Then our "hero", Marni, is just as evil as Joanna. She can't let go of the past and just makes a total fool of herself during the movie. How is her character likable? She says she loves her brother so much, yet she can't let high school go? People change and she never gave Joanna a chance to see if she had grown up or not. For someone who is so successful now, you'd think she would put that as her revenge.

Then to top it all off, they end the movie with throwing a random guy who has 5 minutes of screen time as Marni's love interest. God forbid they have a girl remain single in a film, it's just so sad to leave her alone. The only thing I found redeeming about this movie was Jamie and Sigourney, they had great chemistry and honestly I would have rather had the movie be about them. They were spot on with their comedy and were great to see on screen bouncing off each other with their lines. But this was just a horrible movie, pathetically put together and I would say just stay away from this movie. I can forgive Jamie and Sigourney, but I pity the other fools who took some zangy drugs to say yes to this script.

Won't watch this one again

Author: neenahhh
4 February 2011

I just randomly picked this up from a DVD stand and am sorry that I did. This movie was utter crap. I'm sorry, but it was. I'd give the plot a C+, but the execution of it was terrible! F for the way it was presented!

(SPOILERS) The acting was bad, too. I'm sorry, but it was. Especially during the rehearsal dinner! I also felt that the character development showed little to none, so when all the outbursts happened, I didn't completely understand why. Why was the groom so affected? I didn't sympathize with him at all. Why did Joanna back out of her engagement with Tim? And who in the world WAS Tim?! He didn't even make any important changes to the plot other than that stupid dinner! Also, I disliked Joanna. Even until the ending. She just seemed like such a bitch! Such a phony! Ugh. So many useless characters plus below average acting. It made the film even worse than it already was. (/SPOILERS)

"When a young woman realizes her brother is about to marry the girl who bullied her in high school, she sets out to expose the fiancée's true colors." It sounds like a good story line, don't you think? It makes us think that many crazy revenge plots would happen and make us laugh. Sad to say, that just wasn't the case with this movie. This movie just wasn't entertaining. But I'll give it props for having a couple of funny scenes that gave me a few giggles.

I did not give this a 3/10 for the slapstick humor, though. I gave it a 3 for the moral. As of now, I'm hating high school and it makes me think. What will happen in 8 years? Will I be the same person that I am now? It just made me wonder. For making my brain churn, this movie gets a 3 rating. And that is pretty generous.

Don't bother watching this. Waste of time. Your 105 minutes would be better used by rewatching Bride Wars, instead. Bad movie. I just can't wrap my head around it. I was expecting something good to let the night fly by, but this just wasted my time.

You Again a Movie I Won't See Again

Author: LadyLiberty from www.ladylibrty.com
26 September 2010

Marni (Kristen Bell), like many of the rest of us, had a tough time in high school. Among her chief tormentors was JJ (Odette Yustman), the captain of the cheerleading squad and all around snob. But Marni bucks up and uses the bullying she experienced as a goad toward achievement after graduation. Whatever her motivations, Marni's achievements can't be questioned: She's named a vice president of her public relations firm just before she heads home for her older brother's wedding.

Marni and her brother Will (Jimmy Wolk) have always been close, and she's both devastated and furious when she discovers the bride-to-be is none other than her high school nemesis who now answers to the name Joanna. Marni's mother (Jamie Lee Curtis) is sympathetic, but tells Marni that high school is in the past and she needs to move on. That advice comes easily to Gail until she discovers Joanna's Aunt Ramona (Sigourney Weaver) is her own high school nemesis.

Despite the happy occasion that has gathered the family together, Marni is less than thrilled. After all, JJ wasn't the best of persons in high school, and Marni can't imagine she's changed much! After an awkward reunion and family dinner, Marni and her younger brother Ben decide to do what they can to derail the nuptials.

Kristen Bell is a very pretty girl, and it couldn't have been easy to transform her into the unattractive high school geek that Marni was supposed to have been. Yet make-up artists and Bell's adoption of some less than pretty tics make you believe in the earlier version of Marni. Odette Yustman also does a good job as the pretty, popular girl whose mission in life is to make Marni miserable. Some of the movie's best moments come, though, as the result of the past and present rivalry between Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver. I'd be very surprised if the two of them had less than a ball doing their scenes together because it certainly shows on screen that way.

The story itself is relatively predictable, and the direction, while competent, is nothing special. The script is marred by moments of melodrama that undermine the otherwise marginal believability of the story, and though the actors handle their lines well, even genuine talent isn't enough to overcome some of the things they must say and do. In particular, poor Kristen Chenoweth in a role as the wedding planner—an actress I consider a truly brilliant talent—is stuck in a role where the caricature overwhelms even her formidable abilities. While Betty White (who portrays Marni's Grandma Bunny) is also silly, she, at least, gets away with it.

BOTTOM LINE: You Again is often diverting, and has enough elements of realism in it to make you recall your own high school days (for good or for ill), but it doesn't overcome the limitations imposed on it by its script, or a story that we've all frankly heard before. I was moderately entertained and mildly amused in the theatre, but when the movie was played out, I was less than fulfilled. ADDENDUM: Stay for the credits. Trust me.

POLITICAL NOTES: None.

FAMILY SUITABILITY: You Again is rated PG for "brief mild language and rude behavior." Produced by Touchstone (a Disney-owned company), the largely family-friendly fare is no real surprise. While I wouldn't recommend You Again for really young children (it's not going to hold their interest nor will they understand some of the complications that ensue from various and sundry misunderstandings or manipulations), most parents should have no problem with their tweens or teens buying a ticket.

Pleasing family comedy

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
18 November 2010

Mari (Kristin Bell) was bullied at school for being a spotty geek with specs and braces. Having grown into a successful businesswoman, she is horrified to discover that her beloved older brother's fiancée is Joanna (Odette Yustman), the leader of the high school bullies who victimised her. Her mother Gail (Jamie Lee Curtis) tells her to let it go until it turns out that Joanna's rich aunt Ramona (Sigourney Weaver), who is funding the wedding, occupies a similar position in her own past. And Mari, believing that Joanna's apparent near perfection is all put on, goes on the attack to protect her brother.

This is all rather good, if improbable, fun. Kristin Bell does fairly well with a part which is fairly vindictive (in what she believes is a good cause) for much of the film, as well as somewhat contradictory. Odette Yustman does better as Joanna, a character who is allowed to show high school nastiness and an apparently reformed side - there is much more shading here.

But the two older women have the meatier roles, and both relish the opportunity to play fairly broad comedy (although Jamie Lee Curtis does frequently slip over the edge into gurning caricature). There are also some entertaining supporting characters, with Kyle Bornheimer's Tim delivering a particularly funny "speech" at the wedding rehearsal.

The humour is a pleasing mix of situational, character, wordplay, and slapstick, with only the unfunny and unnecessary bathroom sequence falling flat.

And the film resolves nicely - notwithstanding the nastiness which drives most of the film, things end well.

I enjoyed this.