IMDb > Paranoia (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranoia

Paranoia More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Great movie if you're into shallow plot lines

Author: symphonic123 from Texas
17 August 2013

This movie is not gripping {Inception}. This movie will not keep you guessing {Now You See Me}. This movie is not Oldman/Ford material and why they took the job is beyond me. If you are 25 or younger it's a great date movie (because there's time to make out as the film drags in several spots). It doesn't twist and turn and the revelations are minimal and far from making the audience gasp. Four out of ten stars may be generous. Good-looking stars and block-busting legends does not a good movie make; much less a great movie. Though I would like to get hold of that ring-tone. Character development was sloppy and dialog was quite pedantic.

Implausible, Cliché-Ridden Twaddle

Author: RolyRoly from Canada
19 August 2013

Thankfully, Gary Oldman can make almost any film bearable and his portrayal here of a ruthless, corrupt CEO is just about the only thing that this derivative movie has going for it. He manages to infuse a one-dimensional character with at least one more dimension.

The script is so full of hackneyed clichés that I felt like I was watching a Dan Brown novel. You have to assume that the writer's entire experience of the corporate world is based on a combination of Occupy Movement manifestos and Oliver Stone movies. Liam Hemsworth has evidently starred in something call the Hunger Games where, I have to assume, he was hired for his looks and not his acting chops.

August is usually the doldrums when it comes to movie releases and this dud simply proves the rule to which Blue Jasmine is the exception.

Not even paranoid... Paranoia - Noodles Review

Author: Eman Rahman
19 December 2013

What a misleading title for a movie? Nobody's even paranoid in this movie at all so calling it Paranoia doesn't really make sense to me. Instead, they could've titled it Generic Conveniences. Know why? Because everything in this movie is written in so conveniently for the characters to succeed in the most generic way. So, I guess you can tell it's not a very likable movie. Before seeing this movie, the premise sounded pretty cool. One guy is spying on a company for a rival company but not everything goes according to plan and then stuff happens. Plus, the CEOs of the companies are played by none other than two of the best actors in the business! We got Gary Oldman, one of the most diverse actors of modern cinema, and Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones & Han Solo: 'nough said). On top of that, it stars Thor's brother, Liam Hemsworth, who's good in The Expendables 2 and The Hunger Games, but this could have been his breakout role as a leading actor! Sadly, it's not.

Hemsworth's character in this movie is so unlikable; the only reason an individual would enjoy him in this movie is because he's an attractive guy. However, his acting in this movie is pretty bad. I found myself comparing him to Taylor Lautner's performance in Abduction but at least with that movie we knew it was gonna be bad. Just as bad as his acting are the choices made by his character. The whole plot is put into motion because he got fired from a company and then he decides to go out clubbing with the credit card that's issued by the company he got fired from that he still luckily has! How stupid is that! And then, through a sequence of events, they choose him of all people to be a spy; this irresponsible guy who just goes out clubbing after he's fired? Wow. The writing in this movie clearly is off-putting, but we'll get to that later. The chicks, too, that Hemsworth gets with in this movie are really weird as well. One tries playing hard to get even though he already got with her, while the other chick tries to seduce him while he's already trying to seduce her. The only semi-redeeming qualities of this movie are that Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford actually try in this movie. It's undeniable that they're phenomenal actors, and they are, for the most part, good in this movie for what they're given. Nonetheless, they're given crap dialogue and stupid plot points. I cannot bag on the writing of this movie enough; it is so bad. The dialogue is unrealistic and not enjoyable, while the plot is so convoluted and uninteresting that I kept wanting to stop watching the movie.

Additionally, the directing of this movie is a huge weakpoint. It looked like a made-for-TV movie from the '90s. The directing and camera-work were horrible. Sometimes there was a person talking but half their face was off the screen. In another sequence, Hemsworth is running like a little girl, flailing his arms around and whatnot. There's no purpose for him to be running like that; who said that was okay? It's funny seeing how stupid it is, but it's not even supposed to be funny. And with it being a spy thriller with convoluted twists, you'd think that it'd be unpredictable, right? Well it's not. It had those cliché moments like when he has to break into a vault and he's failed two out of three attempts, with the next failed attempt triggering the alarms. And then it tries to build tension in that moment, but you already know he's gonna be alright and his last attempt is gonna get through. The movie has no suspense whatsoever, despite trying to be a suspenseful summer thriller. It's not suspenseful because you always know what's gonna happen and don't really even care for the characters. It's not summer because it's boring and uninteresting rather than being fun. And it's not a thriller because there are absolutely no thrills. The only thing remotely okay about this movie are the performances of Gary Oldman and Harrision Ford, and that sometimes even gets old since Ford never gets the chance to say "Get off my plane!" It's not worth seeing in the theatre or even worth renting. It's one of those movies that will be on cable and you'll have to think about if you actually have nothing better to do than invest your time in it. But you'll probably end up passing anyways

How can a movie with Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman be slow, boring and not worth seeing? Put the focus on Thor's baby brother.

Author: Tony Heck from United States
16 November 2013

"The lights always look brighter across the river." After saying the wrong things, Adam (Hemsworth) an up-and-coming employee at a powerful corporation finds himself and his friends out of a job. After the owner Nicolas Wyatt (Oldman) recruits him to spy on rival Jock Goddard (Ford) to find out what his company is coming up with Adam finds himself stuck in the middle of a dangerous game. When he wants out he realizes that it's not just his life is threatened unless he completes his task. I was looking forward to watching this for two reasons. Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman, also Richard Dreyfuss is in this but in a lesser role. I cannot recall a movie they have been in that has been bad (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was bad but its still Indiana Jones so I can't hate it and I blame Lucas for that anyway). I did find out how to mess up a movie with those two legendary actors...add baby Thor (Liam Hemsworth). I'm not saying he was a bad actor in this because it wasn't terrible but when you have those two in a movie and you make baby Thor the main focus you have screwed up somewhere. I'd compare this to the movie Son Of No One in the way that you have Ray Liotta and Al Pacino and you make Channing Tatum the focus. Nothing personal against Hemsworth or Tatum but when you have such high caliber actors why waste them? As far as this movie goes the scenes with Oldman and Ford are amazing as expected, as far as the rest goes it was slow, a little boring and not exciting at all. With the plot being about the seedy underworld of the cellphone app industry though you don't have much to work with. Overall, a movie that could have been so much better but ended up being almost not worth seeing. It pains me to do this but I give it a C.

Kinda boring

Author: (blufrog49) from United States
24 August 2013

With a title like "Paranoia," I expected suspicion, suspense, maybe even a cool chase scene, but this movie not only lacks the characteristics its title suggests, but is really devoid of any depth. It seems to be a vehicle to see Liam Hemsworth shirtless as much as possible, as well as in some gorgeous suits.

Amid a lot of techie razzle-dazzle, the plot is rather thin and predictable and there is absolutely NO character development, except a small amount for Richard Dreyfuss, who seems to be the most interesting character in the movie. It was nice to see him in this role.

Harrison Ford doesn't look good with a shaved head. Reminded me of Mr. Magoo without the glasses.

Not a bad movie, but certainly not a thriller and definitely forgettable

Nothing to fuss about, too bad

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
18 November 2013

If you watch this movie because it has Gary Oldman or Harrison Ford, you won't be alone, but you may be in for a disappointment, I'm sorry to say. Firstly they don't have much screen time and the time they do have seems to have been filmed in a hurry with little effort put into it by anyone.

The main character is that of Liam Hemsworth, who plays Adam Cassidy; the best he has going for him is that he a good looking guy. I didn't find the character very convincing, unlike the part of his dad played by Richard Dreyfuss, but his lines might as well have been written on a napkin. What a waste of talent by writer and director here.

What you might like are the fancy cars and great settings as well as the secondary roles of Kevin and Allison, played respectively by Lucas Till and Angela Sarafyan. It's all so sad that a plot, especially the ending, could have been so much more, I could see the possibilities I did not see on screen.

Another Luketic film on a Worst of list.

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
16 November 2013

"Privacy. Absolute myth. There's no such thing."

The film starts off on the wrong foot and never manages to get on track. In the very opening scene you have Liam Hemsworth using voice over narration explaining to us what we are about to see, and you realize that you are going to watch a clichéd unoriginal action thriller. Then there is a scene where Gary Oldman's character is looking at some art pieces with Liam and he mentions how Picasso once said that there are no original ideas, that everything is either copied or stolen. You kind of get a sense of a similar thing going on with this script. Paranoia is an action thriller that seems recycled with no fresh ideas and unfortunately lacks thrills. The script was adapted by Jason Dean Hall (Spread) and Barry Levy (Vantage Point) from Joseph Finder's novel, but nothing about it feels inspiring or original. It is a shame because I was excited to get to see Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman face off once again, but Paranoia easily belongs on my worst films of 2013 list mainly because these talented actors can't do anything to improve a weak script. Paranoia gets half a star for Amber Heard who looks stunning despite not adding anything to the story, and another star for Oldman and Ford's presence alone. I could forgive the uninspiring script if at least this technological thriller actually had some thrills, but it doesn't. There aren't any interesting thrills either and the narrative is pretty straight forward and predictable.

Adam Cassidy (Liam Hemsworth) has been working for an important technological company known as Wyatt Corporation for the past six years. He hasn't been able to ascend the corporate ladder the way he pictured it as he continues to be an entry level employee, but he and his team are expecting a break through when given the opportunity to present their next project to the boss, Nicolas Wyatt (Gary Oldman). The presentation doesn't go as planned and Adam is left unemployed along with the rest of his team. Feeling bad about the way things turned out, Adam invites them to a fancy club where they use the company's credit card. The next day Adam is called back to Wyatt's office as he is confronted for his crime. Taking advantage of Adam's hunger for wealth and power, Wyatt recruits him to spy on his nemesis: Jock Goddard (Harrison Ford). Goddard happens to run another billion dollar tech company which is his biggest competition. Wyatt wants Adam to win Jock's trust and discover what they are working on, and in return he promises him the life he has always dreamed of. Blinded by greed Adam accepts and soon will find himself way in over his head.

Richard Dreyfuss has a small role in this film as well and his presence only reminds us that a film focusing on him or the other secondary characters such as Oldman and Ford, would be so much better. Instead they allow Hemsworth to play the lead role and he simply doesn't have that on screen charisma to carry a film on his own. I don't think he's a bad actor, but he needs stronger material to keep the audience's interest. He is just outclassed in this film by the other talented actors and we are left out wanting to see more of them. Another issue I had with Paranoia is that the plot doesn't make much sense and it is so dull that it allows you to begin to think too much about it and find all sort of holes. Robert Luketic has just directed his third straight flop after the disappointing Killers and The Ugly Truth. I will defend him for 21, which was a film that at least kept me entertained, but his latest efforts have been really disappointing. Paranoia might just top them all; stay away from this film.

Entertaining, not as bad as many people claim

Author: Andres Salama from Buenos Aires, Argentina
8 December 2013

This corporate techno thriller is entertaining, nothing spectacular, of course, but nowhere near as bad as many people claim. Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford are the ruthless CEOs of rival cell phones companies. Liam Hemsworth is a young hotshot that works for Oldman's company, but he is fired after a lousy presentation. After spending thousands of dollars of the company's credit card in a nightclub, he is blackmailed by Oldman into getting hired into Ford's company in order to steal the blueprints for their new cell phone. Many more things will happen, including Hemsworth romantic involvement with one of Ford's company marketing head (played by the beautiful Amber Heard). It's good trash, not very believable, but a good time filler, an ideal date movie. There are far worse ways to waste your time.

Mostly juvenile thriller that tries very hard but saved by Hollywood royalty

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
31 August 2013

Paranoia was my latest attempt at choosing a movie at random and walking into it. This one was slightly different because I had at least heard of it and when I saw Harrison Ford's name on the poster...it was a must. I love him and see everything he is in. Don't mistake my negatives for this film being a wash. It wasn't bad...it just was okay. It could have been so much more but really doesn't try hard enough to be anything great. The entire concept seems like it could make for an intellectual solid thriller but then it never leaves the realm of being just too juvenile. It is a thriller made for teens or something of the like because it misses the mark somehow. It isn't the performances in the movie because it is actually saved from completely monotony and movie of the week TV status by solid performances by two masters of their craft (Ford and Oldman) who are terrific and even better together. The few scenes they share were riveting and there was something undeniable about seeing them together for the first time since the amazing Air Force One. The film has its share of twists and turns but even the big reveal feels a little anti-climatic when its all said and done. I was comparing it to another thriller I saw earlier this year which was done so much better and smarter and that was Side Effects.

Liam Hemsworth seems to be getting a lot of flack for this performance. I've read that he seems bored and delivers his lines in an excruciating way but I disagree for the most part. I think he does a solid job in the role and does what he can with a part that is really sub par. His character is a pompous, egotistical floater who keeps making awful decisions regardless of whom it hurts. He plays the role well enough and because the character isn't exactly likable, you have to give him respect for pulling it off. Gary Oldman is his former boss who blackmails him into doing some corporate espionage. Oldman is really, really good in the role. He is so much better than the script and the story. They are so fortunate to have him in this film. His eccentric and equally egotistical billionaire is a great villain and has some great scenes. Most of them are shared with the iconic Harrison Ford who plays Steve Jobs. No, that isn't who he plays but the character sort of reminded me of a fictional Steve Jobs. A self made cellular phone pioneer and former mentor to Oldman. Ford was terrific playing this man whom wins everyone's respect but there is clearly so much more to him going on. He certainly looks old in this film but his charisma hasn't changed on screen. Amber Heard (one of my Hollywood crushes) is decent as Emma Jennings. The chemistry between her and Hemsworth is decent but their whole relationship feels a little forced because teens won't watch a thriller without romance in it. She is better than Hemsworth but just barely. Embeth Davidtz tries hard in her role but the role is so brutally stereotypical. There is nothing to her character we haven't seen before and it feels almost campy watching her do it especially next to Oldman. She felt like Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Julian McMahon and Josh Holloway were both decent in their small supporting roles. And finally another legend in his own right Richard Dreyfuss plays Hemsworth's Dad. It was great to see him on screen and he was very good in another role that was excruciatingly cookie cutter.

I was a little surprised to see the director of this film was Robert Luketic. He is actually a talented director but a lot of his talent has been in romantic comedies (Legally Blonde, Win A Date, the hugely under-appreciated Monster-In-Law) He is perhaps the wrong genre of director to be taking on a thriller. Though his film 21 was decent enough, he is too comfortable in a late teen early 20 demographic and this thriller should have been more than that. The film deals with espionage and corporate business and high end wall street type dealings but feels like you're watching teenagers play it out. It was just unfortunate that it will likely be left in the dust and forgotten about. Still if you're willing to turn off your brain and sit back and enjoy a run of the mill story with two particularly strong actors then you'll enjoy it for what it is. High expectations will leave you disappointed. 6.5/10

Tastes like a 35 million dollar piece of Swiss cheese

Author: cayenne-3 from United States
4 September 2013

So you know how Swiss cheese is full of holes?? That is exactly what you will be tasting if you are going to watch this movie.

We basically with comments above (poor acting except Ford and Oldman, below standard story plot, empty dialogs, etc...). We just wanted to point out how so many parts in the movie lack logic and basic common sense. For example:

Example 1: Adam gets completely drunk and wakes up freshly groomed with his hair are perfectly combed, and no hangover whatsoever the next morning. Really??

Example 2: If there are cameras in his Adam's dad's house, how come Wyatt did not see that the FBI came to the house and heard the conversation?

Example 3: He's in bed sleeping and while Emma goes take a shower, he quickly gets up to steal Emma's files from her computer... And he has the time to put on pants?? When the plan is to run back into bed for when she comes out of the shower?

Example 4: Towards the end, after Adam steals Emma's phone and fingerprint to rob Eikon Occura, how did Emma get into his apartment? He sure didn't give his keys away....

Example 5: how in the world did he have Goddard's sports car as a "rental" after his whole ordeal with the FBI? Did he have money to throw away when he still had to pay for his dad's hospital bills? Or did those fly away just like the logic of this movie...

The biggest question is: why on earth would Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman decide to join the cast? Money, money or money?

The second biggest question is: what man walks around with one hand in his pocket? Does he think this is Project Runway?

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]