IMDb > "18 to Life" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"18 to Life"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"18 to Life" More at IMDbPro »

A Canadian comedy with universal teen appeal.

Author: Richard Maurer (ram-30) from Red Earth, Saskatchewan
25 January 2010

Michael Seater really has the magic touch with teen sitcoms. Up until now, the greatest Canadian sitcom with teen appeal was "Life With Derek"; the show was of high enough quality that Disney picked it up for its channel. Now, Michael Seater (who played Derek) stars on the next best teen sitcom to come from Canada and is arguably the best teen sitcom on the air today. Michael plays a teen newlywed married to the girl next door played by Stacey Farber. This new "Life" series is hilarious. The supporting cast, especially the four parents, are played to perfection. My favourite character is Michael's father played by the incomparable Peter Keleghan. US viewers will recognize him as Ranger Gord from "The Red Green Show". Keleghan's square-jawed good looks and comic timing make him perfect for sitcoms. Some might remember him as the pretentious boss Alan Roy in "Made In Canada". Many who know this character will find Roy Donaghy's character in "30 Rock" less than impressive as Keleghan puts Alec Baldwin to shame. I hope "18 to Life" lasts longer than "Made in Canada" did. I watched the pilot quite by accident when I turned to CBC waiting for "Little Mosque" and I have been hooked ever since. I don't watch a lot of television anymore but "18 to Life" is going to be a Monday evening ritual, just like "Corner Gas" was.

likable characters likable actors

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 August 2013

This is a CBC sitcom series that lasted 2 seasons. Michael Seater and Stacey Farber are young neighbors who impulsively married. The parents try to cope with the marriage and cope with each other. The girl's parents are hippies but the boy's parents are uptight. Everybody's extremely likable. The young actors are sweet and attractive. The only problem is that it's a rather safe 8 o'clock show. It lacks the edge that could have distinguished it.

It did last 2 years. That's better than most shows. And the new economics demand good numbers not only in Canada. And I don't know if they had any good numbers in Canada.

Cute - funnier in future?

Author: evan1989 from Canada
4 January 2010

I found that this show was charming in the fact that it surrounds two teens who are in love with each other. However, their relationship seems to be built on a series of "so-there"'s, meaning they do things mostly to rub it in the face of others , including the pair themselves. ( Since the whole marriage was based on a dare). It seems as though these kids don't actually anticipate the seriousness of the situation, and are ill-prepared for the commitment, both economically and emotionally. Although the characters are clearly infatuated with each other, it is questionable if they are "Marriage-material" .

I would keep watching this show just to see where this show might be going, but I can't really see a show like this going much farther than a few episodes let alone more than one season.