IMDb > Night Wolf (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
13 Hrs

Night Wolf More at IMDbPro »13 Hrs (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Good, Bad and Ugly

Author: Mahmut Enbuyuk from United Kingdom
25 April 2012

This movie is not the greatest as you would guess with not a very good cast nor an original story line. To start with the acting. The actors performances were all average apart from Isabella Calthorpe's, her acting was awful. Directing was average, nothing special.

The film starts of with Sarah Tyler coming back to England from the United States after a long time. We find out about each of the characters personalities and their previous relationships before Sarah left for USA.

Then the action starts with the creature appearing and the family trying to survive. Trying alternate solutions to find an escape or protect themselves from the creature.

The ending was surprising. It could have been better. No explanation was given on why such events happened which was frustrating and made things seem pointless and too simple.

Pretty gross scenes with gore. Stupid decisions and bad storyline. Maybe you can have a laugh with friends while watching this but I don't think it's much more than that.

Decent horror romp hamstrung by budget limitations

Author: bad_badger from United Kingdom
2 September 2010

I saw this at FrightFest in London and was engaged right up to the final reel where things came a bit unglued.

The film deals with an estranged daughter coming home to visit her father and step-family at their ancestral manor. A building storm cuts off the power and an aborted party in the hay-barn is moved to the house, where the family discover that something *else* has crept into the house ahead of them.

There follows a horror genre cat-and-mouse chase around the house interior where the group of youths are steadily picked off by the monstrous invader during their efforts to contact the authorities and call for help.

Much of this section of the film is quite tense and well-played and this second reel is where I found most enjoyment. The creature responsible for the mounting chaos is never shown (other than a clever Gollum-style silhouette in one shot) and works for the film rather than against, leaving imagination to fill in the blanks.

Only in the final act of the movie do we learn the origin of the creature (although this particular twist is not difficult to see coming much earlier in the movie) and see it in more detail, which is where things fall down a bit.

When budgets are tight, prosthetics and animatronics typically suffer - the visual effects for the creature are a bit wobbly (which shouldn't really matter that much if the editing is tight or evasive) and although the body count is high and the corpses are suitably eviscerated and mangled (with probably the best effects of the movie) somehow the revelation of the responsible party left me feeling flat. Many of the actual murders also happen off-screen or in cut-away, which was another source of frustration for a horror fan.

Ultimately, this is a decent movie and the second act is where all the tension is rooted, but I found the ending lacking something. At the festival, the director explained they only had something like 18 days to shoot which would certainly impact on the final film.

If you like monster movies and have a free hour and a half, you could do a lot worse than watch 13Hrs.

I second the good the bad and the ugly

Author: LovinMoviesMakinGames from United States
26 April 2012

I think the integrity of IMDb has gone to sh_t because of fake posts, fake ratings by those involved in the film.

I rented this one, seeing a >8/10 review from some 25 people. I can't say it was anything but a waste of money. I'm a huge horror film fan, and watch anything that comes out and doesn't get abysmal ratings on here. I had to watch this one in fast forward. The initial dialog, and characters were interesting. Acting seemed fine. Once the creature and killings enter in, we are left with incoherent camera flashes, and a claustrophobic mess. When we finally see the creature, we understand why they decided to hide it till the end. The quality of the creature effects definitely are the bad. The story the ugly.. and the acting, and characters... the good.

The film had a lot of things done very well. Others very badly.

Not a bad movie, but...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
18 November 2010

Not having a clue what this movie was about prior to sitting down to watch it, I could be nothing but surprised.

The movie started out a bit slow, but was quick to pick up in pace and start blasting onwards. There was a lot of thrills and suspense building up not far too into the movie, and that was what was working the best for this particular movie.

Actually the cast did a good job with their roles, and each brought something good, solid and unique to the movie with their individual roles. Not award-winning performances, but still very good shows of talents here.

There weren't really any twists to the storyline, except for one that was revealed at the very end, but you saw it coming, so it wasn't a moment of utter surprise by then.

I am not going to spoil it here and say what the movie is about, but trust me, "13 Hrs" will keep you riveted to your chair throughout the entire feature. You just want to see what waits around the next corner and see what is going to happen.

Though, honestly, I do not see this movie as having enough value or weight in it for a second viewing. Having seen it once, is enough, and I doubt it that I will ever be returning to watch it a second time around. It was good, just not that good. But for a non-Hollywood movie, they actually pulled it off well enough. The movie had definite potential and could have been so much more. Now, I am not saying it is a bad movie, not at all. They just didn't get as much out of the movie as they could have, which actually is a shame.

Mediocrity incarnate

Author: Boyd from London
16 November 2010

And here we have it folks ... The very epitome of the fall of horror cinema ... This has all the visual style, depth, and maybe even stars, of the latest episode of Emmerdale Farm ... Flat picture ... No idea of lighting and atmosphere ... Full of soap opera cliché characters ... Just total mediocrity It is not any more expensive to make something look good than it is to make something look like television ... It just takes talent and imagination ... Unfortunately that is something that is totally lacking in modern day film makers I would suggest stopping ... Getting your own camera ... And spending a bit of time experimenting to see what sort of interesting images you can create before throwing up another rehash of some kids TV series with a bit of gore added cos your grown up now ... Tragic

Excruciatingly boooring!! Very Avoidable!

Author: rajivness from NY, United States
25 April 2012

when i saw that this movie was from the producers of Dog Soldiers - I had huge expectations since that was a smash/cult hit. It introduced a new/relatable way to look at the Werewolf mythos to the point where its actually believable. Dog Soldiers had a very satisfying twist in the story. The viewer realizes only in the very end that the most innocent looking person is somehow involved with the 'bad guys'. This movie is a huge disappointment. There is no story and no point to anything really. There is a bit of a twist in the end - but there's no real substance here. A girl comes home from the US and in the night - the entire family gets massacred one by one - by a monster. This movie is very similar to the Howling - where we're guessing who the werewolf is - but its kind of like a slasher where its just one senseless killing after another. As a viewer i felt 'wtf' - is this story going anywhere??! The twist in the end is kind of silly and a way to quickly tie up loose end is a very unsatisfying way. Don't waste your time with this movie. This movie tries to be too many things (werewolf, horror, thriller, slasher, whodunit?) without doing justice to any one main idea. There is little or no character development at all. We don't know who these people are aside from the fact that most of them are siblings. There is some back story as to a rift in the family which is not explained well at all. I'm hopping mad. I wasted 90 minutes of my life which I'm not getting back!

An average film

Author: hanson_bolt from United Kingdom
30 October 2010

I watched this film at this year's Grimm Up North festival and was very disappointed. As the hotly tipped British production of the festival I was anticipating a good indie horror flick. Within the first five minutes the film succeeded in losing the audience to its appalling attempt at suspense. With a promising cast comprising elements of Harry Potter and My Family the only strong performance was turned in by Gemma Atkinson of Hollyoaks fame. Once the directors had filled their quota of cleavage and short skirts with Atkinson she produced a credible horror performance. It was such a shame that the rest of the film could not continue this momentum. I admit I could not stomach the full film as the suspense was noticeably lacking, the plot non-existent, and the acting was amateurish given the cast involved. What a waste of British talent, even die-hard indie film fans would baulk at this atrocity. Such a shame

Not that bad finally

Author: lideln from Paris, France
5 May 2012

After reading one of the reviews, I was tempted not to watch the movie. I'm glad I watched it (okay I did it mainly because of Gemma Atkinson).

The movie is not that bad. I do not agree with what the last user review says : the actors were acceptable, and despite a few bad choices during the movie, I was never bored. The special effects are really poor during the movie, except at the end where it is acceptable.

Despite what was said in the last user review, the director gave us hints about a few things during the movie, you just have to pay attention ! I think the story in itself is quite common, and at the beginning you can easily guess who will survive and a few other things, but then again, the movie was not that bad !

A family mystery not worth wasting time

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
7 May 2012

13Hrs/Wolf Night – TRASH IT ( C- ) 13Hrs is one of the trashy indie horror movies we see from time to time. The story revolves around a girl who returns home after years to meet her family. She meets her half siblings and their friends, who are drinking in the barn. Suddenly they realize that there is something really strange roaming around the bran and their house. From there the hide and seek for their life starts. The story is acceptable but it's the presentation that bothered me. Low budget is understandable but bad lighting is not. It was sometimes really hard to even understand what exactly is going on in most of the gruesome scenes. The only thing nice in the movie is the friction between friends and siblings. Joshua Bowman (Reason I saw this movie), Gemma Atkinson, Isabella Calthrope, Peter Gadiot and Gabriel Thomson were good in their respective parts. Drunken Tom Felton is not a good thing to look at, he was over the top and not good at faking it. Overall, Trash it, the family mystery in it is not worth wasting time.

An atrocious horror film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
4 October 2012

Among the classic monsters from fantastic cinema, my favorite ones are undoubtedly the werewolves. It might be due to my affinity with canids; or maybe because of the interesting moral conflict lying in the center of the character, who can be a moral and decent person for most of the time, until the curse becomes him a violent beast impulsed by its animal instincts. And even though I'm interested in watching every movie from this sub-genre, it has been a little scarce since the vampires and zombies became fashionable. So, I was quite interested in watching Night Wolf; it didn't only promise lupine action, but also, its British manufacture suggested the potential of being another European film of a superior quality to its Hollywood counterparts. Unfortunately, the film ended up being pathetic.

My mistake might have been to expect an intelligent werewolves film such as Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps; needless to say that Night Wolf had much more modest ambitions. The characters are completely stupid and antipathetic. The cinematography is too confusing; some of the scenes are so dark that it's difficult to notice what's going on. As for the actors, they did whatever they could with their poorly written characters.

In conclusion, Night Wolf is a deplorable horror film, and a waste of time. This film disappointed me pretty much, specially considering the many excellent British horror films we have been seeing in the last 10 years (such as Evil Aliens, Wake Wood and the previously mentioned Dog Soldiers).

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]