IMDb > The Flowers of War (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jin ling shi san chai

The Flowers of War More at IMDbPro »Jin ling shi san chai (original title)

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Don't judge by the taglines! This is an 8.5er.

Author: Duddu from Romania
7 April 2012

Honestly, if it was for the taglines and the short description, I would have never watched the movie. They sounded so uninteresting and vague... Luckily, though, I saw the movie before reading those, and let me tell you, I'm glad that I did. The movie is touching to the core. You can trust me, I'm never easily impressed.

(Why is it that the best movies are always sad?)

Actually, my 8 is an 8.5. I would've given it a higher grade, but Mr. Bale just can't really convince me. Plus that there were a few loose ends that left me with a feeling that the whole picture was not complete. Furthermore, the story is kind of predictable at times. Still, with all these drawbacks, the movie manages to draw an 8.5 out of me, which should say a lot.

Really, people, watch it. It stands out from the bunch of crap that's been thrown at us lately by a mile.

An exquisite movie

Author: Maleplatypus from Croatia
19 March 2012

One more masterpiece outside Hollywood. A story told like in a dream. Perfect cast (all of them, actors, as well as the technical crew). Direction from which many western "directors" can learn (and still only dream about). However, the plot has a few minor flaws and/or omissions which get almost dissolved in the big picture. Nothing to write home about. Just remember that behind all of this are historical facts. Only man, among all the animals, can be the wildest beast and the most merciful angel. Let us be the latter.

Highly recommended to everyone who appreciates exquisite film. This is the art of making movies. Enjoy it as I did.

A choice between FEAR and LOVE.

Author: Just'Manoj Here from India
4 March 2012

Life is not about fear and death. There is something more. Something more that we can do. Something Exceptional. Something that's worth living for. All we have is a choice. A choice between fear and love. It's better to die for love than being afraid of death. Christian Bale made me cry a lot. There is soul in this movie. There is life and there is love.

"The flowers of war" who survived after all that they've been through proved that's there is still something worth living for. All that happens in life is just a coincidence. We can walk out of it or we can stay and fight if it's worth it. This is a movie that I can never forget. This is worth it. Watch the movie with an open heart. These flowers are the sweetest ones.

Very Touching

Author: Wu Shan
13 January 2012

I was deeply moved by the courage of those girls when facing such misfortune...

After movie, I was thinking ...certainly, it was immoral and wrong for Japanese soldiers to do dishonorable things such as "the rape of Nangking", but if it was not because of the corrupt of Ching Government, China definitely would not be invaded by the Western Powers and Japanese...

I guess it's fine to forgive those Japanese criminals if they've punished, but as a Chinese man/woman should never forget about this history which filled with blood and tears. In the end, I just want to say words like this "Strengthen self without stopping, and hold world with virtue". 自強不息!!

Great story -- Dreadful, Terrible, Don't turn away -- Experience this Story!

Author: William from Australia
19 September 2017

History or inspired by events can be more than imagination or art. This is one such story, in the telling; ask .."Why War?!" Ever! Never! The English word for this film is two-edged: Tragedy / Redemption / Pathos

... and * brilliance * Are they three(?), of course -- Because it is just ONE thing. They "label" you apply, is such and such of your own experience.

A friend of mine, discovered around the time she was the same age as these school girls in this film, that her mother needed to escape China; and had been Forced to leave two half-sisters that my friend never, ever knew.

I believe my friend learned this from an aunt or cousin but never found the right time to broach the subject with her mother (now passed-on).

No one says things -- BUT -- This experience is Too Common by far(!); I've heard tell from Polish, Norweigens, and even Germans & Italians (yes! Even!), Chinese, Korean, Malays, Philipines ... A HUMAN Story.

Today we have Daesh!

"When will we ever learn" ~ Peter, Paul and Mary

Sorry, but GONG!

Author: RocDot (bruce92106@cox.net) from San Diego, CA
11 September 2017

I mean, really? Come on! Even if you took the 'advanced' course of Evelyn Wood speed-reading to try and keep up with the ADHD hyperactive captions, forget it! I just found it all too unbelievable, aside how the little China females buzz about in their typical high-pitched silly, fidgety, excited, frantic, frenetic, frenzied, adrenalized, fever-pitched chatter. "Got Sedative?" Sheesh. For it to be any good in this country is would have to be dubbed in English. No one here wants to sit through turbocharged caffeinated pumped captions!!

10/10. Incredible. One of a kind story.

Author: mettafriend from Estes Park, CO
4 June 2017

Are you kidding me? 7/10 or whatever the popular vote was? This is a classic. 10/10. If you liked "Empire of the Sun," one of Christian Bale's earliest film roles, or "The Pianist," and/or have an affinity for real human tragedy and depths of compassion and integrity that can blossom from the lowest of human intentions - then please, watch this! For American viewers, this film offers the opportunity to step into the shoes of others who have suffered in war and at the hand of foreign invaders. Great job Christian Bale and the many Chinese actors and actresses who made this film believable!

Amazing touching Movie

Author: Nirmeen Mokhtar from Cairo, Egypt
22 May 2017

a very strong movie, heart breaking story about the war I cried all the movie.. Honestly i did not watch a good movie for a long long time.

this move touched me so deep inside and i kept thinking about what happened for those poor brave girls all night long. I couldn't sleep.

the end is amazing you will feel mixed emotions, i didn't know whether to feel happy for the survival Students or to feel sad and cry for the brave prostitutes who scarified their lives.

Christian Bale did a great Performance and all the crew. I would definitely recommend it to all my friends.

This goes right through the heart

Author: Samuel Boas from Netherlands
25 February 2017

So far I have never wrote a review on any film that I have seen in my life. This film however is a wee bit different. This film really touched me and I did not look away from the screen for even a second. I can recommend everyone to watch this film that is even remotely interested in history. I will keep this particular review short only because there is plenty to read and I can only say: watch this film.

This is a real masterpiece.

Great touching film

Author: Ornlu Wolfjarl from United Kingdom
12 October 2016

It's been a long while since I've watched such a good film. The story is a tragedy and triumph of humanity. It's so rare to find a war film that can deliver with such elegance and straightforwardness the extreme opposites of mankind. The good and the horrible.

Despite its length, it doesn't drag on. The actors do stellar performances. The film combines the trademarks of Chinese direction, but without its excesses and out-of-place clichés. It's more down-to-earth and after the initial scenes you will never find yourself doubting that these are real people and real events.

The soundtrack is moving and subtle. There are many dramatic scenes where there is no music in the background. And that's when the gravity of the situation really hits you.

This is a must-see. I highly recommend it. I caught myself crying a few times, which is rare to happen in films for me. Yet I wasn't crying because it's sad, as much as it is awe-inspiring.