IMDb > Altitude (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Altitude

Altitude More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A movie about the most unlikable group of teens on a plane

Author: Seventhsin ofaseventhsinner (dragonkings01) from Bronx, New York
18 October 2010

A female novice pilot who has no business driving a car much less flying a plane, decides to take the most unlikeable group of friends on a plane ride for reasons really unknown. Her mom died on a plane, so I guess she wanted to die too or something. her friends include the most annoying jock character written, a undeveloped boyfriend character (a most important character by the end for some random reason), a love lost emo and a shallow best friend. They end up in a mysterious cloud, things happen that really don't make sense and the ending you see coming a mile away. The main girl is a raging c-word to her pointless boyfriend (apparently this is a important plot point?). These kids sans the boyfriend remind you of the popular kids you hated in high school. The positives reviews Have to be plants from the industry. Avoid this film, the premise is awful and you end up wanting whatever it is in the cloud to eat them faster. Note to writers of these films, stop writing for the twilight, jersey shore crowd and make the characters quasi likable so the viewer can be emotionally invested, I was more sympathetic to whatever was in the clouds than these people.

Half-baked Idea ruined by bad script.

Author: Rabh17 from United States
31 October 2010

First off-- the premise of the movie was intriguing: An airplane takes off for a trip with a young Girl Pilot and her friends. A mechanical mishap sends it off into a dark cloud in another dimension where dark things lurk.

THAT was the basic premise that caught my interest. A bit of Twilight Zone. A piece of Stephen King. A dash of Outer limits, maybe. . .

THEN I actually WATCHED the movie.

What ruined it principally was the casting: No, I don't blame the Actors themselves, but the Character/Plot premise that presupposes that any story stocked with good-looking young adults posing as Teenagers acting out the normal angst, trivia and emotional immaturity of Teenagers is somehow Must-Watch Movie-Making. Uhm. . NOT.

The second flaw was the script. Again, teen angst, teen bickering, off-the-cuff fist fights, Teen boyfriend-girlfriend drama and immature cursing may work in your generic stock Haunted House or dark abandoned Mental Institution, but NOT in the small cabin of a twin engine turbo-prop. And the fact that the titular star of the story, the young female pilot, spent most of her time facing BACKWARD and participating in the on-going fracas instead of FOCUSING ON FLYING THE PLANE adds to the unbelievability.

And I must say that while I know that what we call blithely 'Autopilot' automation is actually VERY ADVANCED Technology that is WAY BEYOND COOL today-- the several times that the pilot gets OUT OF THE SEAT (Remember, she HAS NO CO-PILOT) and CLIMBS into the back seat to have heated emotional showdowns while a plane FULL OF FRIGHTENED TEENAGERS Flies itself. . .and NO-ONE even says: WOULD YOU PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO FLYING THE PLANE, LADY?!? That beggars belief.

The movie would have been a better, deeper thriller had it been cast with character-study adults as opposed to a bunch of bickering teens.

If you want to watch this-- Rent it - Don't Buy.

And rent it as a group event with your friends-- and be ready to tear it apart as the action ensues.

This movie deserves the time to write a review

Author: phaenomenalbert from United States
24 October 2010

My professor once said: always start with something positive. Let me try:

The cast is easy on the eye. And that's about the only positive thing I can come up with. Very, very poor acting. Seriously. Totally ridiculous plot. Someone said it was well shot. I would have to watch it again to find that one frame he must have been referring to. I certainly missed that one. The music... I don't remember.

I've never bothered writing reviews. Ever. This time I just felt it is my responsibility. By all means, go and see for yourself. But you have been warned – at least, try to not spend any money. Give it to charity instead and make my headline come true.

And no, I am not a wanna be actor who is just jealous. I simply love watching movies. Not this one.

Stupidest. Movie. Ever.

Author: tntpucca
18 November 2010

First, this film is so technically ridiculous, a little research could have helped it a bit. But just a tiny bit.

If you're going to make a movie about four teens in a small airplane, maybe you could at least do some research on General Aviation 101-- since flying is the entire setting of your film. Like how a young pilot like that doesn't just rent a 6-seat twin engine plane like it's a Hyundai Sonata, while she doesn't even have her Instrument Rating (typically a must for planes of that size.) Then there are stupid script misses like the fact that our Pilot Heroine blames the plane's malfunctioning altimeter on "magnetic disturbances." Altimeters are affected by air pressure. Not magnetism. Script bloopers like that abound in this one.

Come on, writers. It was like shooting a story set in New York City then showing the characters walk up to a hot dog stand...and order sushi. Bad research.

Technicalities aside, prepare for a lame flick that basically consists only of a bunch of teens yelling at each other that they're going to die. For an hour.

Some here say the film had an awesome Twilight Zone ending. Really? Where was it? There was an attempt at a twist-- but when the credits rolled, I still didn't even know what that supposed twist was supposed to be. (WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER!) Was there time travel involved? Ghosts? Sixth Sense type stuff? Huh?

And if you think that's dumb, you should see what great heroic act turns everything Hunky Dory. You'll gag.

Disappointing.

Failed to lift off...

Author: matt-ross-1 from Canada
20 November 2010

Firstly, a quick confession; I'm a real soft touch when it comes to a good movie poster, a cool DVD cover, or back-cover teaser descriptions. I've sat down in many a theatre or shelled out for many a DVD on the basis of this alone. A strong concept with plenty of potential, and I'm in. So with Altitude, it had me at 'Fear is in the air'. My hit-rate for finding good movies this way is about 50-50. But I sometimes get as much pleasure from watching a bad movie as a good one. And so to Altitude, which lands firmly in this former category. But pleasure was something sadly lacking in taking this flight.

The description on the back of the DVD case hinted at a malevolent force, picking off teens, as teens usually are in these films, but in the unique setting of a light plane; a nice twist on the usual claustrophobic settings. A supernatural killer on the loose at 10,000 feet... cool, I thought. But from this intriguing take-off position, the film crashes and burns in its most important areas; a coherent plot and interesting characters. Five friends fly a twin-prop to a concert 'because the drive is bad', or some other rubbish reason - so we have our set-up. The five tick all the cliché boxes for the teen victim demographic; the jock, the nerd, the sensitive artist, the prom queen and the bookworm. And despite these stereotypes bucking the usual trends slightly (the arrogant jock turns out to be a coward and a drunk, the artist brave and resourceful), the characters are so weakly sketched out that we do not care for anyone as things start to go wrong, even our spunky heroine pilot, Sara (who has achieved somewhere in the region of 100 hours worth of flying time whilst keeping this a secret from her dad, and also learnt to fly because her mum was killed in an air crash. As you do.)

So after establishing such hateful and idiotic people are our main protagonists, it's left to the plot get us off the ground. Initially, it's a bit like Twilight Zone: The Movie, where a nervous John Lithgow sees an evil imp trashing the wing of his passenger jet but can get no-one to believe him. But a closer look at that 1983 movie reveals an even more blatant lift. The Joe Dante-directed third segment, where an evil child who can create his own reality around him, trapping his family in a murderous world where he has to be kept happy and entertained for fear of violent and bloody retribution.

So no external entity of malevolence, just an insecure man-child with a violent id (Forbidden Planet?); subconsciously brought to the fore by the heroine's plan to leave to go to university and his repressed anger at the death of his parents (yes, in the same air crash that killed Sara's mother).

Throw in a prescient comic book (Heroes, anyone), a giant flying squid and a climactic face- off between good and 'evil' (is he? I still don't know who we were supposed to be rooting for) that is resolved by the biggest cliché of them all, and all that back-sleeve potential finally runs out of fuel.

It's such a shame, because I thought the direction from Kaare Andrews was solid and some clever scenes, with the lightning flashes making the screaming faces look like skulls, even had me considering the possibility everyone was already dead. No such luck.

I'd like to think I've learnt my lesson after paying full price for this DVD. But I probably haven't....

I need an air-sickness bag!

Author: U.N. Owen from NYC
19 October 2011

There have been many films, TV episodes which have taken place within a confined area, and the tension can become excruciating.

Lifeboat, Midnight (Doctor Who), are just a couple.

Altitude - the story of a half dozen teens trapped in a little plane - is NOT one.

The director who made this - Kaare Andrews - has made a 'teen' horror film that doesn't try hard to be any better than of the films it desperately rips off - the FINAL DESTINATION films, are just one franchise, which comes to mind.

The 'acting' horrendous. The 'plot?' Cheesecloth holds together better.

The 'technical' dialogue, spouted by 'pilot' Ms. Loundes, is akin to hearing a monkey explain quantum mechanics - and, just as believable.

This is one of those films, in which the 'director' seems SO hard to demonstrate his skills, and, has none, to begin with.

Bluish-green tinted movie? Seen it. Actors' eyes (annoyingly) colorized? Yawn - ENOUGH!

I kept praying this nightmare would end - and, by that, I mean 'crash' end. You do not care about ANYONE. It seems they all got cast by meeting Mr. Andrews, who 'promised' they'd 'star in' his big, Hollywood' movie.

Slow Moving Thriller Drops Into Obscurity

Author: chris dimarino from Canada
7 February 2012

Altitude is a Thriller/Horror movie that never really lives up to anything. Even if you cling to a hope that something large or satisfying will happen, you will be disappointed. This is only made worse by the fact that the acting, dialogue and plot developments do little more than to waste away an hour of the movie before the real events unfold. There is no one major flaw in this movie, however no tweaking would have made this view-able. This movie is fundamentally built around a thin plot which leads to a 20 minute series of events and it makes the whole movie seem disjointed.

The plot of the movie is that a group of friends are flying to a concert and the main character in the group of 5 (Lowndes) is the amateur pilot. She offers the best moments in the movie, but even those are scarce. Errors during flight causes the plane to climb higher than intended without the ability to descend. The main cling of fear appeared to be fear of flying and the claustrophobia associated with the small cabin and uncontrollable circumstances surrounding them. However, as evidenced by the movie case, this is a monster movie though you could barely tell because it has so little face time.

I am notorious for being able to sit through garbage horror movies just to see the twist or developments at the end. That being said, I waited patiently through the poor dialogue and acting. At first it seems that everything could happen to you and there is no need to suspend your disbelief as with many supernatural horrors. However, the ending and subsequently revealed underlying plot of the movie are very supernatural and unfortunately are flat and unbelievable. It really made me regret sitting through the early goings to get a stupid ending.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone as it really has no redeeming qualities. The only people who might find it interesting are pilots, but for every plane focused moment, there are 3 where the physics and mechanics are awful.

A Precise Blend of Horror and Supernatural Fantasy

Author: gavin6942 from United States
9 November 2010

A group of friends take a small airplane to a concert, but soon enough they encounter a supernatural storm that causes them to constantly rise up to a dangerous height.

I want my thoughts on this film to be brief: director Kaare Andrews did a superb job of creating a claustrophobic atmosphere, casting bright and beautiful young cast members, and blending horror with fantasy, with a bit of comic book background. Andrews is, first and foremost, a comic book creator, but he transitions to film flawlessly.

I could go into more detail, but for now I won't... I was quite impressed with this one, and although I don't like straying from reality much, I think it was handled in a creative and original way.

WTF Did I Just Watch???

Author: se_johnson from United States
19 October 2010

I've seen this movie...and yet I haven't. I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone, so no worries there, as I didn't fully grasp what this movie was trying to be.

Little teen/college age horror movie.

Little bit of John Carpenters "The Thing" (the tension in a small confined space) A lot of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.

Half a cup of H.P. Lovecraft thrown in for good measure.

Then a sprinkle of every over used cliché character in an teen/college age horror movie.

Bake at 375 for and hour and a half.

Results may vary.

Cinematic quality is excellent. Acting is above par (we aren't talking an Asylum or Uwe Boll movie here) but no ones getting an Oscar. Special effects are Meh...seen better and a hell of a lot worse out there. Dialogue was unforgivable at times, more so than not. Ending was really not as big of a shocker as others might have you think.

All in all, it's a fun way to kill an hour and a half if you don't know anything about this movie...no reviews, don't watch the trailer...etc. In other words, even in being as obtuse as I have been here, I still just ruined the movie for you.

Have a good day!

interesting enough that i didn't change the channel.

Author: michaeldartnell from Australia
5 November 2012

i incidentally watched this movie this morning as it was the first channel that came up on my foxtel.

all and all, yes it is a pretty crappy premise that is turning the twilight zone airplane story into a modern day movie for teens.

I also didn't really care much for the main character as he was weird awkward character (or other characters all of which were stereotypes.) But. for some weird reason I still felt the need to watch all of this movie (possibly because I'm mowing the lawn after it)But usually if I'm not liking a movie at least a little bit i change the channel.

Plus the ending had that inclusive time paradox kinda feel.

Initially i was going to give this a 6, but i think a modest 5 is what this movie is worth. (i would give it 5.5 if i could)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]