IMDb > "Southland" See the Woman (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Southland" See the Woman (2009)

« Prev | 3 of 43 Episodes | Next »

Intense psychology

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
13 January 2017

One of the greatest things about "Southland" is the gradual development of Office John Cooper (Michael Cudlitz). He really does become a riveting character. Which is what makes him so frustrating in these nascent episodes. He rides his rookie partner way past the point of condescension, and you're just dying to know why he has to resort to bully tactics to test the kid's steel. Not to mention the hope that the wall will come down because you know there's a major history behind this guy. 'See the Woman' does offer a glimpse, though. In just one scene, we see a glint of compassion towards a brutalized woman in a gay clothing store, as well as his Achilles' heel: prior back trauma. It's like I said before, there's no spoon- feeding here. They really make you work for details or sometimes even the big picture. and Cooper's a testament to that.

Three episodes in and it's clear this show is really about the officers and not just the calls they respond to. In that respect, I found it a fascinating episode, painting a picture of Los Angeles that holds surprises not just on the streets but in the moneyed hills as well.

This Southland Episode Was the Worst of 3 Seen So Far *

Author: edwagreen from United States
30 January 2010

This was without doubt the worst of the 3 shows that I've seen so far in the "Southland" series.

What goes wrong here is that the writing was just trying to to show too much in the 45 minutes that the show was on.

Our 2 friendly policemen both confess to each other that their lives as younger men were anything but good. This should have been explored much more in greater detail.

Regina King, who has so much to offer in this show, barely appeared in this episode.

What was going on at that party when a cop is cuffed to the bed? There are plenty of explanations to go around here.