IMDb > For Colored Girls (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
For Colored Girls

For Colored Girls More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

You're supposed to be commenting on the contents of the movie

Author: cassysim from United States
7 November 2010

This is very much a piece of art. Determining the value of a piece of art is very personal. This movie may speak to some and may bore others to death. This movie needed editing, probably shaving a good 30 minutes off wouldn't have hurt. It has some very powerful scenes and is definitely not a movie to see because you want to just relax and laugh.

That being said, I am very disappointed that one poster decided to comment not about the movie but about their own personal prejudices about black women, and probably black people in general. I'd like to point out, that NOT ONE woman in this film was on welfare. NOT ONE woman in this movie was living off "the tax payers" and NOT ONE woman in this film was living on easy street. If you just want to rant about your own personal prejudices then go to one of the political blogs. This is supposed to be an honest discussion about the movie.

Awesome in every way

Author: leslies-892-883848 from United States
8 November 2010

This was by far one of the best and most realistic movies I have seen in a long time. I was actually shocked to see bad reviews that were so blatantly disrespectful to those of us who liked the movie. i.e commenting that if we liked it we must think Mc.Donald's is good food. Our goal here is to comment on the movie.

Yes it was graphic, yes it was vulgar and yes it will make you cry. However, the women in this movie all had issues I know myself and most other women of color could relate to in some way. If you were one of the people who may have thought there was just too much going on in this movie to be real I would say praise God you were afforded the opportunity to live in a box your entire life. I am a triple degree college graduate who came from the ghetto and an abused home so I know this stuff really happens. I am just happy for a change it wasn't sugar coated.

This was one of Tyler Perry's best work even if it did make me sad. Sad because I can just think of all the people I know and women who are just like those in the movie living on no hope or false hope. In the end it reminded me I need to do a better job in sharing my Witness the gospel of Jesus Christ. Great Movie!!!!!

Tyler Perry's Best... but there are flaws

Author: kevbowdc from United States
4 November 2010

After reading the early reviews of For Colored Girls, I walked in not really expecting much but a lot of drama. I have to say that i mostly disagree with the bad reviews, but I understand the issues with the movie.

Lets start with the good: The acting was great. Loretta devine's voice was very annoying at times, but she made me laugh and knew how to play with the character. Anika Noni Rose did very well from being on top, then falling, then picking up the pieces. She has great potential for being something great. Tessa Thomas made me fall in love with her!!!! OMG!!!! With hard work, she can do something spectacular. She did very well with her emotional scenes and was very believable. Whoppi was hilarious but it wasn't Oscar worthy. She's still got it though. Kerry Washington did well with what she was given. I wish she stood out more but it was great seeing her on screen. The entertainment factor was on point. There were some scenes hard to watch and some things unexpected, but it kept you enthralled in the film

THE BAD: OMG... JANET!!!!! I had so much faith in her performance but once again, I was let down. She just doesn't have it! Her lines and acting was so frozen and she looked like a mannequin in tears. Its so frustrating because I know she can do so much better. Phlyica Rashad's character was absolutely wasted. But for what she was given, she was amazing. Tyler should have used such a great actress more extensively and I was waiting for Phlycia to steal my heart. I did love the way Phylicia recited her poem to Thandie in her apartment room. Her reading was sooo believable and well executed. The transition from the poem to the Tyler's language was so drastic and not fluid at all. You could easily tell when the actresses went from his writing to the books. It just didn't work for me but it was challenging working with great choreopoems. I love Thandie Newton to death and she did a good job acting in this movie, but in some scenes, she overdid it. It was a little too much that she was giving, but overall it was a good body of work.

Finally: OMG!!!! Please give Kimberly Elise an Oscar Nomination. She took my breath away with her performance. It was heartbreaking and spellbinding. If she doesn't get a nomination, I will be floored. She is long overdue and her acting was superb!!!!!!!

Overall, this is Tyler's best but he still has room to grow. Just go and see the movie for yourself and please have an open mind. Good job Tyler and I expect you to grow from this point forward.

Academy Voters PLEASE Consider the Acting in For Colored Girls

Author: (jnshouch@gci.net) from Alaska
5 November 2010

My husband, mother and I saw this at midnight. It was Phenomenal, Realistic, Gripping, Captivating and Awesomely acted. Perfect casting. Any woman can relate and men as well can see and hear struggles that their mothers,sisters, wives and friends never talk about. Its deep and passionate. I can not understand the critics that say the poetry is not in sync with the film. I think TP captured the realism of each woman's situation and how it not only affected them but others around them. The scene involving Chrystal's loss and Jo's witnessing it was a earth shattering piece that Tyler captured beautifully as Janet's character is forced to take off her blinders, ignore no more, melt her coldness and change. Each actress played her part well. This movie needs Academy attention. Each actress should earn an academy nomination but Kimberly Elise #1 should win . Janet's facial expressions,capturing the essence of her character's persona thats so deeply hidden she has become a human in a shell like mannequin alone should win like Judy Dench supporting actress for 8 minute performance in only four scenes as Queen Elizabeth in Shakespeare in Love.

Successful Stage to Screen Transfer

Author: gradyharp from United States
24 February 2011

Tyler Perry has performed a little miracle in transferring Ntozake Shange's exquisite play "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf" into an opened up and expanded film. The dialogue still is deeply embedded in Shange's poetry but the narrative Perry added makes the stage experience a flowing cinematic story: the result is a powerful film that happens to be populated by some of the finest actresses of today.

The plat cannot be faithfully summarized, as it is a cluster of vignettes of ten women in crisis. Each character is given the name of a color of the rainbow, but they also have real names and the men in their off track lives actually do appear. It would be unfair to single out any one of these actresses as best because their roles are all different and make demands on the actresses in different ways. Whoopie Goldberg is the religiously inclined mother of Thandie Newton (a woman of physical needs that cannot be satisfied despite nightly change of partners) and Tessa Thompson (a high school girl with aspirations crushed by an unwanted pregnancy); Janet Jackson is a bitter, wealthy magazine editor married to the Down Low Omari Hardwick; Loretta Devine is a community service giver in a relationship with the undependable Richard Lawson; Kimberly Elise (breathtakingly magnificent!) is paired with the war-torn PTSD alcoholic and abusive Michael Ealy; Kerry Washington works for child services despite her infertility in her marriage to Hill Harper; Anika Noni Rose is a lovely innocent dance teacher brutally treated by Khalil Kain; Phylicia Rashad is the tenement house manager who is the central mother confessor to her tenants. How these women's lives are interconnected is fascinating as a story/screenplay: how these gifted actresses deliver the poetry of Shange is beyond anyone's expectations.

There are many issues this film deals with - single mother, violence against women, death, loss, partner abuse, etc - and each of the issues is poignant and keenly defined and acted. How this film slipped under the line for awards is anyone's guess. It is not to be missed.

Grady Harp

A Very Good Adaptation of Great Source Material!!! GO SEE IT!

Author: therealwardell from United States
5 November 2010

I was among the first of the regular people to view the film last night at a Midnight Screening. I'm an actor and very familiar with Shange's work, having seen it numerous times & its on my bookshelf. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, even more than I thought I would. (I am NOT a Tyler Perry Fan, although I have seen most of his melodramas)This film is clearly a departure from his usual style, and for the most part he gets it really right!! As had been stated by numerous critics, the film tends to slow down if not come to a totally stand still when the actresses began to deliver the poems juxtaposed with TP's own dialog. There is a lack of fluidity more so in the first half of the film than the second, but I was not in the least really bothered by it. All of the Women give Incredible Performances, save for Whoopi Goldberg, who is wonderful in the film BUT, I feel needed more takes than she was given to really dig deeper. I feel like she thought, I'm in a Tyler Perry movie, this ain't Steven Spielberg directing me. However, she is still enjoyable I mean her character is just OUT there. Kimberly Elise and Phylicia Rashad should both be on ALL of the Awards ballots this upcoming Season! Kimberly is absolutely FANTASTIC and Phylicia is nothing short of the actress she has always been....extraordinarily BRILLIANT! The scenes they share together, particularly the one towards the end of the film is Oscar Worthy in itself. Phylicia and Loretta handle Shange's language with such specific rhythm and cadence that you forget you're listening to a poem. I wish all could achieve this, however all of them handle the poetry effortlessly and beautifully. Janet is…..OK, but just OK. She is very limited in her acting range and it CLEARLY shows in a film with these other fine incredibly seasoned actresses. Anika Noni Rose, Kerry Washington also are just wonderful. Enough of me writing, JUST GO SEE THE FILM! Its really good, and great for a TP film. If that says anything.

Tyler's Best So Far...

Author: dst121386 from United States
9 November 2010

Let me start off by saying that I am NOT a fan of Tyler Perry's past movies, television shows, or plays. They are not funny and over the top. Just not my cup of tea. However, I thoroughly found this movie worth the $10.50 I paid to see it on opening night. Some of the other reviews were surprising. At no point did I feel the movie to be slow. In fact, I thought the movie constantly pounded on our emotions to almost a point of exhaustion. I also thought that the prose to fit fairly well with the dialog. There were times when two people were talking at the same time that made it difficult to follow, but I understood the intent and liked the effect. Tyler has made progress in his directing abilities. He still has work to do, but this was by far his best work. I look forward to seeing this movie again.

As for the acting...Rashad, Devine, Elise, Newton, and Rose were the standouts. In fact, I cannot see anyone except Loretta Devine in that role now...she owned it! Whoopie is still a superb actress. I agree with many other reviewers, Janet Jackson just does not have it. I question Tyler's judgement in picking Janet for a fairly meaty role. Clearly she patterned much of her part from Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada" and did not pull it off. She looked terrific though! Other seasoned more proved actresses could have done a much better job with that role. Halle, Vivica or even Robin Givens anyone? Bring your tissues. Pay attention. It is a good movie.

A gorgeous, layered, over-the-top emotional ride...I really liked it

Author: secondtake from United States
22 November 2010

For Colored Girls (2010)

An artful, gutsy, moving experience.

You could easily see this movie and say that it's overly artful, overtly gutsy, and an overwhelmingly moving experience. You would have to like this kind of high drama to get into this at all. Very high drama. I do, and so I loved this movie.

If you've seen "Crash" you know how this movie is put together--a series of high powered characters in tough situations are followed separately in an interwoven and increasingly connected urban universe. This is a work about women, African-American women, and about their ultimately horrible plight in a world of greed, horror, and men, who don't come off very well. So they turn increasingly inward, and to each other, to survive.

Director Tyler Perry has great material here--the Ntozake Shange play that wowed Broadway in 1975. One of the strengths here is one of the things people find irritating--the characters speak at times in long lines of poetic monologue. It isn't realistic, but it's beautiful, and in fact it really is poetry, and is part of the overall style. This helps form the overall aura of the movie, as well, of highbrow seriousness in a gutsy, often low income narrative. The story gets tweaked for 2010, though some of the themes don't make sense for our times, most glaring the backstreet abortion.

The acting is fabulous, and uniformly so. Everyone is able to really pour it on, which is difficult when they are sometimes speaking through actual poetry. And so through all the tears comes a realization that this very artificially outrageous drama has deeply deeply serious intentions.

If you like movies for how they are made--the editing, the filming, the set design--you'll be impressed. It's highly artful in a Hollywood, expensive way, an uncompromised production. Of course, as a viewer, you have to like that, especially when it gets artsy, as when a mother and daughter speak in two simultaneous monologues and the camera, and the sound, film back and forth between them, while still delicately keeping both threads continuous and palpable throughout. And the moment has huge symbolism, too, because it's about how they never understand each other, even when they pretend to try.

If there's a large problem here, it's in the endless excess. There is more tragedy, and more emotional crisis, than you can handle in a movie. I think it starts to be a parody of itself, and toward the end you are just ready for a catharsis. The choreographed ending is a little predictable and breezy, too, though even here, when the women gather on the roof, there is still a complex, interwove poetic power.

Forget the cynics and the impatient, if you can, that have slammed this film. It's not a typical Tyler Perry movie at all. It's a smart, beautiful film, and in some ways a great film.

Better than Expected

Author: penny-119 from United States
7 November 2010

I will start by saying that I am not a Tyler Perry fan. I don't generally watch or enjoy his movies. I was also hesitant to see this play turned into a movie, but my husband really wanted to see it, so I went somewhat reluctantly to see how TP would butcher this play.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. First of all, the play is not something that can be easily rendered into a movie. It's more of a performance than a traditional "play". There is not a coherent plot, and even the vignettes are often incomplete stories. The men that are central actors in the womens' stories are completely voiceless and have no role in the play whatsoever. The dialog from the different characters is beautiful and elegant and haunting, so to be true to the story you have to keep the language that is used.

So, it's a difficult situation to be in, no plot really to paraphrase or "adapt" with very precise language that needs to be incorporated to keep the beauty of the piece. It is a task that a better filmmaker than TP should have tackled....but it's doubtful that anyone who had the talent AND the juice to make this movie actually would have, so TP is all that's left.

The film is choppy at parts...NOT seamlessly interweaving the added plot-driven dialog with the elegant and colorful soliloquies from the original play. Also, some of the particular poems seem oddly-placed, and out of context.

However, the performance of the pieces did give a meaning that reading the play does not. Pieces that I understood in one way when I read them took on a different and more potent meaning when I saw them being performed in the context of the film. The delivery of most (not all) of the poems and the character portrayals generally was excellent.

There is some overacting (Kerry Washington in particular stood out as overdone to me), and some of Tyler Perry's typical caricatures (if you are a light-skinned man with a high paying job....you are a bastard!), but if I evaluated this movie based on whether my understanding and experience of the text was expanded by this film, I would say it was.

Perhaps if I had seen the performance I would evaluate this film less kindly, but I think that if you come in understanding 1) it is a lofty performance piece being rendered as film, and 2) it has incorporated some of the performance aspect of the play into the film, I think you could appreciate it and enjoy it.

Somber man bashing drama that only shows one side of the story.

Author: mark.waltz from United States
6 June 2011

I have to start this review by saying that it is with great reluctance I had to mark this film as disappointing. I was drawn in to the story of these women because I really wanted to see how they survived the traumas they were dealing with and the anger they were facing. I really wanted to find something in these characters to like, but other than a few of them, I really didn't find them likable enough to sympathize with their plights.

The film has an amazing cast of black actresses, many of whom I have had the delight of seeing live on Broadway. I think it was well intended to make a film version of this, but unfortunately, the movie doesn't come off as pro-women as much as man-hating and angry. Not all of the women presented here are negative characters; The abused mother beaten up by her veteran boyfriend I definitely sympathized with, as with the younger daughter of a religious fanatic whose older sibling is a sex addict. Totally lovable is the nurse who opens her own clinic. But along with the sexually addicted sister, there is her fanatical mother, the nasty CEO, as well as practically every man in this movie.

I really wanted to find something in these men to identify with as well to make them seem more real, but it seems that every man here has the hidden intention to hurt their women, whether they were addicts, rapists, bi-sexual, or just flaky. For the CEO's husband's secret to totally come out of left field (on the down low) I was glad I was watching this on DVD so I could rewind it to make sure I heard what I just heard. There's three sides to every story, they say, and here, you only get one side.

As for the performances, everybody is outstanding. The acting is not where the problem lies. The hearts of the women played by Phyllicia Rashad and Loretta Devine are bigger than all of Central Park, and in one key moment, Rashad has one single line that reveals more about herself than most of the characters do in the rest of the movie. Devine's character is the epitome of "Earth Mother", and if you're like me, you just want to give her a huge hug. As for Whoopie Goldberg, this has to be the strangest character she has ever played, but she does so brilliantly. The problem with the younger actors (save Anika Noni Rose, whom I think is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful and talented young actresses on stage and screen today) is that their parts are not layered enough to show any humanity under the anger. "Love Story" taught us that "Love means never having to say you're sorry." This film tries to tell us that "Too many sorry's mean a ton of sorrows."

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]