IMDb > Hardwired (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hardwired

Hardwired More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Considering the Current 4.7 IMDb Rating, This Wasn't That Bad.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
4 March 2010

Okay, yes. You've seen the material a thousand times from Freejack to Johnny Mneumonic to Total Recall to Matrix. This echoes both John Carpenter's, "They Live," and the more-recent "Gamer," with some of the feel of the original "Blade," attempted, but never achieved.

The action is awesome, well choreographed, and professionally executed throughout a Terminator-stylized storyline including the end of the world as we know it via robotics and a mad scientist portrayed disappointingly by Val Kilmer.

Mad scientists should be either raving mad, or insidiously fiendish. Kilmer's Virgil was full of high ideas with no moral center, but he utterly lacked the diabolism required to carry through such a plan. It was like he knew from the beginning that he was doomed to fail, and played the character thusly, failing to invest too much of himself in a doomed role. I wanted him to be Madmartigan vs. the kid from Real Genius, and instead, I got Craig Ferguson's Dr. Wagner of Lenny the Wonder Dog. To say the least, I was disappointed.

Decent on a rainy afternoon if there's nothing left in the house to clean. Otherwise, you could find something better to do with your time.

It rates a 5.5/10 from...

the Fiend :.

For a TV pilot, not bad.

Author: Scott7411 from United States
29 November 2009

This...is...not...a...movie...folks.

It...is...obviously...a...TV...pilot.

Kilmer and Ironside clearly had no interest in doing a TV series, but Gooding apparently did. And for TV, not so terribly bad. The concept just about carries it. As for the comments about clutzy props, TV show decider-suits love the idea that the thing won't cost them a bunch, yank some crap out of the warehouse and fake the rest.

I liked it for what it was. And for the ludicrous notion that higher powers would want to put chips into us. Wherever did they get that from?

Of course, this puppy won't see the light of day.

wtf?

Author: stacey cavanaugh from Berlin, Germany
22 October 2009

Don't be fooled by the A-list actors. I think Cuba Gooding Jr and Val Kilmer must have been tricked into working on this crap. It even looks like the director tried to hide his name on the credits.

Hardwired was derivative in way that makes you think the writer has heard about Blade Runner and Minority Report, but never seen either. It's unoriginal with a non-existent plot, and cheesy effects from the very start. Truly painful to watch. The effects include exploding heads with "Evil-Dead-like" blood spurting, and After Effects starbursts for bullet strikes plus annoying high-pitched ringing throughout the film. The computer "hacking" was not only boring but laughable. (My life's work of "hacking" stored on a USB stick:) Even the 2 cyber punks were unconvincing. It takes place in the future yet everyone drives cars from the 90s. The set design was total crap, and it looks like it was shot on a camcorder in 1992. I kept thinking I was watching a low budget sci-fi TV show from the early 90s on a second rate network. I can't believe I watched this movie. There's no redeeming qualities to mention. It was simply terrible, and not in a cute B movie fashion.

Please, save yourself. Run away from this movie!

Author: IMDBfoo from United States
20 October 2009

It's really sad to see talent like Cuba Gooding Jr and Val Kilmer doing a movie like this. I bet when these guys first agreed to do this film, it was sold to them as the next "5th Element". Too bad it's just not going to help either of their careers. This movie is extremely low budget, and laughable at many times. From the very first scene, the low budget effects become apparent.

I give more credit to fan made films such as those made for Lord of the Rings and Metal Gear Solid, they were better quality and made by amateurs. This movie had no excuse. Poorly written, poorly filmed, and last but certainly not least - what's up with Val Kilmer's wig?

watchable

Author: abc_ca2002 from Canada
29 November 2009

a very poor imitation of matrix and/or total recall or similar SiFi movies. though the Plot is not that bad , it is dragging too far, action is OK, acting in Cuba Gooding part and Ironside is good,Val Kilmer looks goofy though, other actors not very promising.

The sound track of the movie is annoying and out of place, it is like an Arabic belly dancing music imported right out from Cairo. by far the worst part of the movie is its sound track. at the end the score is kind of Indian drum combo with an Indian singer crying along very sadly.

all together it is a 'watchable movie.

border-line decent but turns "video gamish"

Author: Emmett Dove (webmaster@fiendworld.com) from United States
7 December 2009

I just finished watching this movie. If you like sci-fi, you might enjoy this if you have nothing else to watch. The story line is OK, it could happen I suppose. The plot has been done so many times though. The acting is not there, even though it has some decent actors in it. Seems Cuba didn't even want to play the role, shows really no passion in the movie. The action failed real bad. After around 15 minutes or so, it turns video-gamish. The ending is left for a sequel in-which I have no clue as to why. Also, why did I give it a 5? It has it's moments & could have been a decent movie. If your a die-hard sci-fi fan, you might just like it. I try to be fair when judging all movies, because what I don't like others will & vice-versa.

Great sci-fi thriller, with a realistic message

Author: Jurjen van der Hoek from Netherlands
19 August 2013

I just watched this great movie, and really cannot understand the 4.7 rating. Please do not take any of the bad reviews serious. The people who wrote these reviews probably have a problem swallowing good quality food also, because they are used to junk food. This original and exciting sci-fi action-thriller should at least have a rating of 7, so i gave it a 10. The movie portrays a scary future, where dark forces take partial control of human beings minds by means of chip implants. A future, that actually might not be that far away from us. Apart from being very entertaining and full of suspense, keeping my attention all of the time, this movie has an important message to all of us. It shows the horrible reality of a world where evil people that are driven by greed, take control of our minds. The theme is nicely worked out. The acting might not be top-notch, but overall, it is good enough. Cuba Gooding Jr. performs alright, but Val Kilmer is rather disappointing and unconvincing. Luckily, his role is very limited. The camera work, and visual effects are nice and the script is OK. Certainly a movie not to miss!

ohhh pleeease..

Author: pistu34 from Hungary
22 October 2009

... this movie is soooo bad. I could tell you why, but it does not worth the words. Just spare your time and avoid it. It't lame and tells nothing new. :( Kilmer's character's hair is so funny that I was laughing for three minutes when he appeared in the movie... Actually all the characters are funny, as if they were a parody of themselves. I don't know if they were so bored to play such boring roles, or the script was too lame, or the director was sleeping in a corner during all the shooting, but this acting, and this entire movie is actually a shame for anyone who was involved in the making. Believe me, If you watch it, you will regret it in the end.

Sci-fi on a budget

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
28 January 2014

Ploughing the same furrow as conspiracy-style futuristic sci-fi thrillers as Spielberg's MINORITY REPORT, HARDWIRED is a science fiction film on a budget. Starring the less-than-stellar Cuba Gooding Jr. as an ordinary guy who almost dies in a car accident and is brought back to life thanks to the intervention of a sinister commercial organisation, this is slightly disappointing and intriguing in equal measure.

The most interesting part of the production are the sly digs at numerous subject matters, including the failings of the American healthcare system and the increasingly desperate efforts of modern-day advertisers. The sci-fi and action tropes are less successful, with a few cheesy CGI effects thrown into the mix, but the script is a little more intelligent than is the usual for the B-movie genre.

HARDWIRED also boasts a fine supporting role for the criminally underrated Michael Ironside, who gets the opportunity to sink his teeth into a decent character part for a change after years spent whiling away his time in Z-grade disaster flicks. There's also a good performance from the up-and-coming Tatiana Maslany, although the less said about Val Kilmer's bad guy the better; Kilmer is stiffer than a board here and his acting often painful.

Still, this is a film which turns out slightly better than I had expected, and the various mind-melding mind-control stuff is handled in such a way that's not original, but nevertheless entertaining. HARDWIRED is certainly no classic, but an efficient enough timewaster.

Not that bad, but not that great

Author: Nicole Dawson from USA
22 January 2011

I didn't think the movie "Hardwired" was as bad as a 4. But it isn't the greatest either. Gooding's character Luke is played well as a distraught man trying to figure out what has happened to him and who is responsible. He really is the best part of the movie. On the other hand, Kilmer is always good for a crazy man, unfortunately I think Kilmer's character is strongly underplayed in this movie. Is he a crazy person? Or is he just a middle man with no heart? I don't know. I would of enjoyed it had he played with more psychotic emotion. The man responsible for Hope Corp. might as well been Kilmer's character. Did they actually pay the guy who was Mr. Hope? For the person responsible for the bases of this movie, he really didn't do much. I also don't know if it was a selling ploy, but why is Val Kilmer's hair perfect on the cover picture? It is far from perfect in the movie.

Conclusion: I enjoyed it as a relaxing Saturday, nothing to do, movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]