IMDb > Hardwired (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

wtf?

Author: stacey cavanaugh from Berlin, Germany
22 October 2009

Don't be fooled by the A-list actors. I think Cuba Gooding Jr and Val Kilmer must have been tricked into working on this crap. It even looks like the director tried to hide his name on the credits.

Hardwired was derivative in way that makes you think the writer has heard about Blade Runner and Minority Report, but never seen either. It's unoriginal with a non-existent plot, and cheesy effects from the very start. Truly painful to watch. The effects include exploding heads with "Evil-Dead-like" blood spurting, and After Effects starbursts for bullet strikes plus annoying high-pitched ringing throughout the film. The computer "hacking" was not only boring but laughable. (My life's work of "hacking" stored on a USB stick:) Even the 2 cyber punks were unconvincing. It takes place in the future yet everyone drives cars from the 90s. The set design was total crap, and it looks like it was shot on a camcorder in 1992. I kept thinking I was watching a low budget sci-fi TV show from the early 90s on a second rate network. I can't believe I watched this movie. There's no redeeming qualities to mention. It was simply terrible, and not in a cute B movie fashion.

For a TV pilot, not bad.

Author: Scott7411 from United States
29 November 2009

This...is...not...a...movie...folks.

It...is...obviously...a...TV...pilot.

Kilmer and Ironside clearly had no interest in doing a TV series, but Gooding apparently did. And for TV, not so terribly bad. The concept just about carries it. As for the comments about clutzy props, TV show decider-suits love the idea that the thing won't cost them a bunch, yank some crap out of the warehouse and fake the rest.

I liked it for what it was. And for the ludicrous notion that higher powers would want to put chips into us. Wherever did they get that from?

Of course, this puppy won't see the light of day.

Considering the Current 4.7 IMDb Rating, This Wasn't That Bad.

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
4 March 2010

Okay, yes. You've seen the material a thousand times from Freejack to Johnny Mneumonic to Total Recall to Matrix. This echoes both John Carpenter's, "They Live," and the more-recent "Gamer," with some of the feel of the original "Blade," attempted, but never achieved.

The action is awesome, well choreographed, and professionally executed throughout a Terminator-stylized storyline including the end of the world as we know it via robotics and a mad scientist portrayed disappointingly by Val Kilmer.

Mad scientists should be either raving mad, or insidiously fiendish. Kilmer's Virgil was full of high ideas with no moral center, but he utterly lacked the diabolism required to carry through such a plan. It was like he knew from the beginning that he was doomed to fail, and played the character thusly, failing to invest too much of himself in a doomed role. I wanted him to be Madmartigan vs. the kid from Real Genius, and instead, I got Craig Ferguson's Dr. Wagner of Lenny the Wonder Dog. To say the least, I was disappointed.

Decent on a rainy afternoon if there's nothing left in the house to clean. Otherwise, you could find something better to do with your time.

It rates a 5.5/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Please, save yourself. Run away from this movie!

Author: IMDBfoo from United States
20 October 2009

It's really sad to see talent like Cuba Gooding Jr and Val Kilmer doing a movie like this. I bet when these guys first agreed to do this film, it was sold to them as the next "5th Element". Too bad it's just not going to help either of their careers. This movie is extremely low budget, and laughable at many times. From the very first scene, the low budget effects become apparent.

I give more credit to fan made films such as those made for Lord of the Rings and Metal Gear Solid, they were better quality and made by amateurs. This movie had no excuse. Poorly written, poorly filmed, and last but certainly not least - what's up with Val Kilmer's wig?

ohhh pleeease..

Author: pistu34 from Hungary
22 October 2009

... this movie is soooo bad. I could tell you why, but it does not worth the words. Just spare your time and avoid it. It't lame and tells nothing new. :( Kilmer's character's hair is so funny that I was laughing for three minutes when he appeared in the movie... Actually all the characters are funny, as if they were a parody of themselves. I don't know if they were so bored to play such boring roles, or the script was too lame, or the director was sleeping in a corner during all the shooting, but this acting, and this entire movie is actually a shame for anyone who was involved in the making. Believe me, If you watch it, you will regret it in the end.

border-line decent but turns "video gamish"

Author: Emmett Dove (webmaster@fiendworld.com) from United States
7 December 2009

I just finished watching this movie. If you like sci-fi, you might enjoy this if you have nothing else to watch. The story line is OK, it could happen I suppose. The plot has been done so many times though. The acting is not there, even though it has some decent actors in it. Seems Cuba didn't even want to play the role, shows really no passion in the movie. The action failed real bad. After around 15 minutes or so, it turns video-gamish. The ending is left for a sequel in-which I have no clue as to why. Also, why did I give it a 5? It has it's moments & could have been a decent movie. If your a die-hard sci-fi fan, you might just like it. I try to be fair when judging all movies, because what I don't like others will & vice-versa.

watchable

Author: abc_ca2002 from Canada
29 November 2009

a very poor imitation of matrix and/or total recall or similar SiFi movies. though the Plot is not that bad , it is dragging too far, action is OK, acting in Cuba Gooding part and Ironside is good,Val Kilmer looks goofy though, other actors not very promising.

The sound track of the movie is annoying and out of place, it is like an Arabic belly dancing music imported right out from Cairo. by far the worst part of the movie is its sound track. at the end the score is kind of Indian drum combo with an Indian singer crying along very sadly.

all together it is a 'watchable movie.

Just shoot me

Author: Joe Smith from United States
16 January 2010

The best review I can give for this movie is "mildly entertaining". Even at that, most of the entertainment comes from the embarrassing special effects and flaws that continuously crop up throughout the film.

When I watched this movie, I thought it was made in the early 90's. To think it was produced in 2009 is nearly unbelievable- I think I've seen Youtube videos more impressive. Bullet impacts were star bursts; in one scene a van is hit with bullets multiple times without a single bullet hole.

At several times story flaws were so bad I felt an urge to punch a gaping hole in my TV. In a shooting scene, the main character "Luke" is in an industrial room with SWAT-like enemies closing in. One of them had his gun aimed right at his head when the lights cut out. For some reason, this means that he was incapable of shooting, and literally walked in the opposite direction to find Luke. Mind you, he was previously standing DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM.

The pain doesn't stop there as Luke pretends to occasionally randomly feel out in front of him as if he can't see. Even though the main lights were cut, the room was still clearly lit. This wasn't the only moment I had to wonder whether the director expected me to assume that, despite what the movie shows, the scenes are much different than what they appear. I'm no fancy Hollywood director but I don't think it's that difficult to make a room dark. In fact I can do it at any moment with an amazing invention called "actually turning the lights off".

If you are considering watching this movie, you can feel what it's like right now: Simply ball your hand into a fist then punch yourself in the face repeatedly.

Unoriginal and Boring

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
28 November 2009

In a future world dominated by the corporations, Luke Gibson (Cuba Gooding Jr.) is driving her beloved pregnant wife Veronica (Monica Mustelier) to her work on the day of his birthday; out of the blue, a truck hits their car. Luke's medical insurance is expired and he is doomed to die; however, the executive of the Hope Corporation Virgil (Val Kilmer) proposes Luke's sister to submit him to an experimental surgery with the implant of a chip in his brain. The amnestic Luke awakes and sooner he discovers that he has visions and he is the Subject 373 of a secret project. He is helped by a team of hackers formed by Keyboard (Chad Krowchuk) that became paraplegic after being shot by a henchman of the Hope Corporation; his father Hal (Michael Ironside); Punk Blue (Juan Riedinger); and Punk Red (Tatiana Maslany). Luke tries to recover his memories and discover the objective of the mysterious project.

"Hardwired" is an unoriginal and boring film that seems to be a bad pilot of a TV series. It is amazing the decadency of Cuba Gooding Jr., Val Kilmer and Michael Ironside. The worst is that I like these actors and regret their recent choices. Anyway, this movie is a good chance for those that have problems with insomnia and do not like to use pills. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "Invasor de Mentes" ("Invader of Minds")

Enjoyably bad

Author: Matt Kracht (krachtm@yahoo.com) from New York
15 March 2013

The plot: After being involved in a nasty car crash, a man receives an experimental implant, courtesy of an omnipresent, multinational corporation.

Hardwired is a throwback to the low budget cyberpunk movie boom of the early 90s. With former A-list stars, an interesting (though not quite original) premise, and lots of action scenes, you'd think that this movie would have lots of promise. One could even be forgiven for thinking that it'd even be good. Unfortunately, it's so cheesy, predictable, low budget, and comically inept that you can't help but laugh. Despite all of its ridiculous problems, it's so earnest and enthusiastic that I can't bring myself to hate it. It's an enjoyable mess of a movie, as long as you're not expecting something intellectual and artistic.

Amidst all the cheesiness, there were some things that worked well, and I have to admit that I'm tiny bit disappointed that there isn't a sequel. I would have loved to see Lance Henricksen play the evil megalomaniac. I guess we'll never know how the story ends, though it's probably for the best that we're not inflicted with an even more clichéd followup.

If you're a fan of low budget B movies, it can't hurt too much to give Hardwired a try.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]