IMDb > "The Vampire Diaries" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Vampire Diaries"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Vampire Diaries" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Its got me hooked

Author: bookwormgreen from Australia
2 October 2009

After watching episode 4 i got all excited and started to flap my hands wishing the next episode will come out already. I admit first two episodes were bit slow and sluggish , but by episode 4 the story really starts to kick in. After watching it i have the greatest urges to go library and read the rest of series.

Im sick of seeing people bagging vampire diaries at the moment. GIVE IT A CHANCE. yes it may not be as good as the book series, but I'm telling you now it beats twilight by far. Watch episode 4, of course first episode isn't going to hook you in like its best show in the world. but for those who think people who enjoy this series are brain dead, i believe their comments a rush and idiotic. Give the series a chance, but if you listen to " the real brain dead losers " then you really be missing out.

This Series Has Outdone Itself

Author: Erekle Antadze from Georgia
26 October 2009

Started weak, real weak. It was cheesy messed up series with messed up plot and characters! what happened after that? somewhere near episode 3-4 it started to come to what can be described as a normal , watchable series it had it's good points and bad points like ant other show has! it continued for I don't know episode 12-13 and then it started with every single episode, making enormous steps, great improvements!!! it started to rock a little with every episode! and last 4-5 episodes where just great , like 10/10 they improved so much they had nothing to do with those cheesy episodes! and I really started to like and love this series! and first season finale , it was something incredible unpredictability, awesomeness, great action , humor, interesting characters and nothing like Twilight or sparkling vampires...

it has a lot of blood and death in it!!!! so if series started with 6/10 it's first season ended with 9.5/10 go on in that direction!!!

My Favorite New Series!

Author: lucky-177 from Pennsylvania, U.S.
22 October 2009

I have never read the books, however, I don't understand how anyone could expect for any TV series to be an exact replica of a book. Just my opinion. I have been watching the show since the pilot episode and I absolutely love it. I also happen to be 29 years old and am hooked, so I truly think it's all about what each individual finds interesting, not "this show is for 13-16 year olds". I'm not sure how anyone can say they love or hate something after just a pilot, I never really quite understood that. Personally, I think you should give a show at least 3 or 4 episodes to give it a fair chance and to see where the story will go. I wasn't sure that I was totally in love with it after just the pilot either, as I am a HUGE twilight fan, but by the end of the 2nd episode, I found myself anxiously anticipating the 3rd, 4th and so on. P.s. Nina and Paul work great together!

Addictive and Original

Author: KneelBeforeTodd from United States
5 October 2010

When I tuned in to "The Vampire Diaries" for the pilot episode, I expected to watch perhaps six episodes, grow bored, and then drop the show entirely. After all, I was only watching in the first place because it aired before my favorite show of all time, "Supernatural." I'd seen (and read) the "Twilight" series and found the teen vampire romance story lackluster and redundant. It's been done before about a thousand times, right? But I remember reading the original "The Vampire Diaries" books by L.J. Smith and decided it couldn't hurt to give this supernatural soap a try.

The most important thing to know about this show is the first four episodes are seemingly pointless; focused on cheap thrills, romance, and teen drama. Then something magical happens, creeping up silently and latching on without the viewer's notice: interest. By the end of the fourth episode the many story lines pick up and take off, and suddenly a silly or meaningless event becomes important. Things move fast in "The Vampire Diaries." This is a show that takes risks: people die without warning, stories that you thought could go on forever take only a few episodes, characters do and experience things you wouldn't have thought possible. Even better, there is no character who is wholly unlikeable. Everyone in the large ensemble cast has a story and a 3-dimensional structure, and even if the viewer decidedly doesn't like a character, the swing from one storyline to the next never lingers in one place for too long.

Some people have called this show their guilty pleasure. I refer to it as smart writing, good acting, excellent storytelling, and wonderful viewing. As of right now the second season is in the first few episodes of airing and the magic has not gone out. Far from it; this show only gets better. The lesser episodes are still fantastic, and the truly great ones are rich with everything an episode of television could possibly desire. I have yet to finish watching an episode without cursing the screen to give me more - my addiction to such a fresh show sometimes keeps me up at night.

For anyone (yes, even non 18-49 women demographic - we welcome the men!) interested in watching vampires, witches, and more, take the time to view beyond the first four episodes. I can almost safely guarantee anyone who likes vampires and horror (and a lot of dry wit) will not be disappointed.

Good combination of the characters with the setting

Author: meadesvision
23 November 2009

I really like the episodes, it is somehow fluent and has a taste of Twilight. Maybe it is weird but its shooting is better than Twilight because in watching Twilight you can feel the coldness, silence and a sort of pause which drift the interest of the spectacular away. But in Vampire Diaries, you can feel the hot impression of the characters, hot color of each frame of the movie. These series make you feel more connection to the reality than Twilight. The characters are involved in excellent combination with the setting and the plot. Stephen perfectly reflects his good mood through his face. Elena is another good chosen actress for the character. Because you easily see her bright intelligence and innocence on her face.Damon is just like his name demonic,attracting and tempting person. This good adaptation of the characters to the story makes the film more powerful and better than Hollywood production Twilight thought it is a TV series. I wish Twilight was shot by Vampire Diaries technical production team.

Has its Good and Bad - But it just started.

Author: dlinthe from United States
11 September 2009

I read the books 15 years ago, and I was a bit excited and apprehensive about it being made into a TV series with all the liberties that are taken these days. Last night, I watched the pilot. I have a few beefs (missing character and particular character interactions), but mostly I think I was alright with it. It has been update to fit with the times a bit more.

It appears that they are loosely following the story, and that is fine if they are making it into a series. To follow the books, they would have just needed to make a mini-series and been done with it. For a full-on TV series they needed to make many adjustments. I'm a little sad that they are aiming so very hard for the Twilight crowd by throwing the romance factor in right away, but it has the potential to be pretty good.

The acting isn't the greatest, but I have definitely seen much worse. This felt to me like actors that had not yet fit themselves into their characters. It will smooth out with time and become more comfortable for them and it will show through in the series. They have managed to obtain a bit of balance between the almost care-free world of high school and the dark gritty nature of what they can't see and don't know about. That was actually what I was most worried about.

So, from a MAJOR fan of the books (I rejoiced when I realized they were with me instead of another state and started reading them for the umpteenth thousandth time) to the CW....So far, so good. Let's see where they take this and hope they keep true to the feel.

Definitely worth a watch!

Author: Anwesh Mishra
10 November 2009

Okay, so there's been an overload of vampires. 1st, Twilight, then Jennifer's Body and blah blah blah.. but Vampire Diaries is different, and definitely here to stay.

For starters, it follows the basic rules that apply to vampires, unlike Twilight where Edward Cullen just goes into Bella's house without any invitation, etc.

What's also gripping is the fact that it has other characters from the magical world, like Witches and all. It also sticks to its plot, so what we are seeing is actually a story which has vampires as a part of it, not the other way around.

Definitely worth a try, and one of the best shows of Fall '09.

And the coupling of it with Supernatural on Thursday, making it a Thrilling Thursday on CW is quite cool too! A 9/10 for me!

Not Twilight but not True Blood

Author: chattygirl247 from United Kingdom
14 November 2009

In this day and age it's the time of the Vampires. You have Twilight and True blood and Vampire Diaries but don't let them keep you from watching. While many tend to compare it with the two, it's actually very different. Vampire Diaries, based off a series written 15 years before Twilight,is about a girl Elena who just lost her parents when a new guy, Stefan Salvatore, comes to town but with Stefan also comes trouble, his brother Damon Salvatore. This show is definitely the middle of Twi and True Blood. It has a romance like Twilight and the intensity of True Blood. What this show has is a lot of twists and turns that you don't expect.

The only flaw may be the characters. While there is a lot of character development, it really only applies to the main ones. The supporting characters like Caroline and Matt seem flat. Even though Matt seems to have some roundness, Caroline just doesn't seem to change, she is always that annoying whiny girl;there are even times when Elena can be naive.

All in all, despite it's flaws, every episode has a mystery to it; it's hard to guess what's going to happen. Believe me at the end of every episode, maybe even in between commercials, you begin to speculate what the end possibilities could be.

It is the transpiration

Author: andrastea from Canada
24 October 2009

So, a high school girl (Elena) fancies a boy (Stefan), who surprise surprise turns out to be THE vampire for her. Of course a love triangle is presented; Stefan's more demonic brother has an agenda to win Elena's affection. Elena's best friend is a bubbly psychic, there is no shape shifters (read werewolves) yet nor mind readers (yet), and Elena is not clumsy (yet), although she does feel isolated and lives in a very small town. Sounds familiar? It should because L.J Smith's books the Vampire Diaries have been around already for last 15 years. This story might have kicked in better if the "Twilight thing" wouldn't burn the subject to the dead. That is something to wonder, how the author of the Twilight ever got away borrowing? so direct storyline, in addition items like mind reading and shape shifters/werewolves in context of vampires from Sookie Stackhouse novels by C. Harris, a book which was also published before first Twilight. Apparently one cannot copyright an idea, only product. But wait, the publisher of L.J Smith has announced a new book to the Vampire diaries series called "Midnight". There is no "Sun" in it, but is this the finger or what?

But this has to be said, that the actors in the Vampire Diaries do not look like they are in the constant pain, well at least not all the time, like in that "other thing". Perhaps that is the difference in these stories; the Vampire Diaries lack the certain amount of constipation.

I vote for that.

Vampire-tastic!

Author: gennyhardison from eat it, america
6 June 2009

OK so i just finished this pilot-it was awesome and i have high hopes for the series. I have not read the books but have heard of them and love everything vampires and this show does not disappoint. Well cast, looks expensive, legit 'this is how teens talk' dialogue. This is the age old vampire story: dark brooding vampire meets young human girl. Same story as twilight except these teens drink and have sex. Kevin Williamson is able to balance the tension of the story with humor and irony. All of the characters are good looking and can deliver the snappy dialogue with ease. Even the cheesier elements (see: fog) don't take themselves too seriously. If you like true blood, twilight and loved buffy then you should all watch this show (mostly so that i can see the second episode!!)

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]