IMDb > "Primeval" Episode #3.2 (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Primeval" Episode #3.2 (2009)

« Prev | 15 of 36 Episodes | Next »

Abby the Creature Slayer

Author: igoatabase from France
5 April 2009

The creature of the week was sort of scary and the visual effects quite impressive. In fact it was so well animated and post-processed that it reminded me of Gollum in The Lord of the Rings films. Moreover it had these Gremlins ears, camouflage and sharp teeth that made it even more interesting. However even if the Scooby Gang scenes were a bit frightening I wish they had occurred at night and not in bright daylight. I don't mean turning Primeval into an horror series but in general I find the show far too family-friendly. But I understand that the creators had to compromise their vision to appeal to a larger audience. It's not that a bad thing considering the Little Red Riding Hood character brought some fantasy to the story. Moreover her appearances were spooky and the feeding scene was like reading a fairytale.

This time I enjoyed Connor's scenes and was very impressed by his clothing style. It would even scare the future predator. Abby made the haunted house scenes even better, the Cuty and the Creature. However I didn't buy she forgot about the creature after falling down the stairs. At first I thought the creature casted a spell on her but then she never mentioned it so I became skeptical. In fact it's probably why I remembered so many inaccuracies. For example Sarah didn't recognize Ellen but as she's government she should have been briefed. An other problem was Nick's technique to find Anomalies. What about the radio interferences from season 2 ? Moreover Sarah's puzzling 3D structures didn't make sense. Or at least they should have better explained how she came up with it. Thankfully Jennifer's joke about using computers saved the scene. Ellen's arc was also good and I can't wait to learn more about it. Last but not least the actor playing the detective made a very convincing performance. It's nice to see some talented guest stars on the show. What about Anthony Head next season ?

So overall it was a great episode. In fact I find these episodes quite refreshing. It's even easier to enjoy them considering the writers found the right balance between them and the ones only covering the main story arc.