"Fringe: There's More Than One of Everything (#1.20)"

"Fringe" There's More Than One of Everything (2009)

« Prev | 20 of 100 Episodes | Next »

In 2017, A Great Homage to Leonard Nimoy and the World Trade Center

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 January 2017

Nina Sharp recovers from David Robert Jones attack and Dr. Bishop and the Observer go to the beach house where the scientist used to spend leisure time with his family to search something. Meanwhile Nina discloses to Olivia that the criminal Jones has stolen an energy cell from her mechanical arm to open a gate to a parallel world to kill William Bell. Jones was a former employee from Massive Dynamics that was fired by Bell and now is seeking revenge. She promises to schedule a meeting of Olivia with William Bell if she captures Jones. Meanwhile Jones is trying to find the right coordinates to open a doorway to the parallel universe and is causing weird incidents. When Peter locates his father, Walter recalls that he is looking for a device capable to close the doorway to the other universe and where it is. Meanwhile, Olivia, Broyles and Nina find the correct coordinates where Jones might be. Will they succeed to stop David Robert Jones from his intent?

"There's More Than One of Everything" is certainly the best episode of the First Season of Fringe. The revelations of the parallel universe will certainly change the perspective of this show. The truth about Dr. Bishop and his son Peter is intriguing. But the best is the chance to see Leonard Nimoy in the role of William Bell in the World Trade Center. Every viewer is probably looking forward to see what happens in the Second Season. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "There's More Than One of Everything"

Season 1: Plenty of contrivances but generally a good 'build' to an engaging plot with strong delivery of an enjoyable blend

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
20 October 2012

My first contact with Fringe was seeing my girlfriend watching an episode some years ago now; to my basic glance it felt like a knockoff of the X-Files but made more basic and accessible for network TV and just going for the "case per week" approach of your CSIs etc. Recently someone suggested I give the show a go and told me not to just go on that first impression from a half-watched episode. As a result I sat to watch the first season to see what I thought.

Very quickly I was enjoying the show a lot as each episode opens with an "episode-specific" hook to get you in the door, but it is what follows that really had me watching the episodes faster than I would have liked. For the majority of the episodes, Fringe captured the aspect of X-Files that I always enjoyed the most – the conspiracy, the sense that shadowy powerful men were almost as great a threat as the "unknown" forces behind them; I always liked this and with Fringe it is a feeling that is in place from the start and throughout. At times it is pushed too quickly though, with characters being revealed and developments being made faster than the writers are happy for them to happy; this manifests itself in how quickly any character with information is killed or removed, so that we get a little bit more to hold the interest, without ever having too much confirmed or happening too fast. I liked not really knowing who was working for the "good" or indeed ever really being sure if there was a "good" side. There are "filler" episodes that don't connect into the bigger picture and some of them are a little weaker than the norm, but they do still have the same general standards of the rest of the episodes.

These standards include a generous budget for effects and a very nice mix of pop-science nonsense, conspiracy drama, action and comedy – all blended together so that none of them really undermine the other. This is best seen in the central character of Walter; his ability to be an expert about every possible fantastical subject might wear on me in the future, but so far it worked because of how well delivered it is and how it fits the overall show. Similarly he can be hilariously odd one minute while able to be tragically amoral the next – but with both working as well as the other. This is how the show works generally and although it has weakness, it generally rides them because of how well the blend works. The plotting does contain plenty of contrivances where we make jumps or have things happens simply to make the writing easier; some of this did bother me because at times I did take it seriously and I felt a little betrayed by the writers when they seemed to do things without seeming to care that it would be obvious or lazy – but this wasn't often. The conclusion will bring me back for the second season – although if I'm honest the big cameo at the end didn't do much for me (not least because the protracted reveal seemed pointless considering his name was in the opening credits as a special guest!).

Speaking of the cast, I must confess that having so many faces from HBO (in particular The Wire and Oz) gave me great delight – even down to tiny roles it felt like the casting director watched a lot of the same shows as I do. The main star for me is Noble; his performance is spot-on for achieving the blend needed and he does it very well indeed, making it all look easy when it is nothing of the sort. Torv is better than I expected despite not being as good as I would like; she never overdoes the glamour or shirks the darker side of the show, but I always had the feel that she might not have the range in her if the script demanded much more. Jackson is in a comfort zone and really didn't do too much for me, much like Nicole – filling a role well enough but not the focus. Supporting turns from Reddick, Acevedo are good while smaller roles from people like Harris and Kelly have impact and probably deserved more than they were ultimately given.

Fringe is a network sci-fi show and as such it is accessible and a little bit of everything; however the blend mostly works well and for me it worked across the many things it tried to do – even if all of them have weaknesses inherent in being a blend. Cheers for the recommendation Rich – I'll be following you into season 2 soon.

Great close to a great first season

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
29 January 2015

OK, lets overlook the obligatory last-10-minute cliffhanger (which is now SOP to all shows) and the shock value of bringing Nimoy back before the camera The fact is, this closer was a great episode on its own. That is really the test of an episode, whether it holds on its own.

I think Noble steals the spotlight, his wacky mad scientist persona has never been more empathetic to the audience.

Torv continues her role as the best looking "bulldog detective" on the beat; also with the best American accent ever shown by an Aussie

Nice seeing Blair Brown working with the team instead of against them

I also liked how the team was not afraid to actually shoot someone in the finale. In so many shows today, the writers do scenes where there is lots of shooting but no one is ever hit.

Great fun

There's more than one of Leonard Nimoy

Author: XweAponX from United States
25 April 2012

Here stops the David Robert Jones saga - For Now. If not for an unhappy incident with Peter and a crazy machine, this WOULD have been the end of it.

Jones is trying to dig a hole in the universes, to get to Nimoy so he can do bad things to him. VERY bad things. Nina knows all about it, tells Olivia all she can tell about JonesJonesJones.

Meanwhile, The Observer takes Walter on a little trip to the Beach. Practically tells Walter what he needs to remember. But Walter is a Swiss Cheese Brain Head, can only remember with sight and sound and smell and taste, which is why he's eating all the time. But why don't he get fatter? Good metabolism, that. But he still can't remember. Until Peter figures out where The Observer has spirited Walter off to, and joins Walter.

Olivia and Nina drag out ALL of the Fringe cases back as far as they had been reported - Boxes and Boxes of "X-Files" are cluttering up the Office. And Olivia then sees "The Pattern" and where it points to: Which is the same place where Walter needs to go - To Stop Jones.

And here are Season 1's answers. Even the answer to who actually wrote the Original ZFT manuscript and where the "Chapter on Ethics" was hidden...

And Olivia is rewarded with what she had been seeking this whole season - Audience with William Bell. But it's not what she, or we, expected: As she looks from the Tower of a High Building in NYC that should not be there anymore...