IMDb > First Dog (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

First Dog More at IMDbPro »

President's Dog gets lost, Boy finds Dog, The trip is in the return

Author: Toni Deaver from USA
5 November 2010

Lots of warmth, lots of humor. A feel good film great for adults and kids alike. The unknown young actor playing the lead role of the boy is a kid to watch. If he can keep his head down and focus on what he loves and not what the hype is and will be about what a natural he is, he will probably go very far. He's that cute, that young and that good. The 2nd lead is the dog. Don't miss this dog. Enough said. There are many famous and near famous faces scattered throughout. Each does a good job doing what they do best. There is one weak section and 1 miscast role that keep this film from getting my 10, but that certainly should not be enough to keep you away. Go see First Dog!

Would have been a first choice for families but, there are a couple of elements some parents won't like, so....

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
21 July 2011

The President of the USA (Eric Roberts) is excessively fond of his dog, Teddy. With good reason, Teddy is a charmer, even though the secret service men don't like him too much. But, one day when the President is on a visit to another state, Teddy gets out and runs away. No! He ends up on the west coast where foster child Danny finds him. Although Dan's foster mother (Priscilla Barnes) is kind, Danny knows to hide the canine from her. Also, the young lad sees from the dog's tags that he is the property of the President. Up for adventure, Danny decides to cross country and return the dog personally. Hitching rides with nice truckers and not-so-nice hucksters, Danny almost makes it. But, during the last leg, Teddy again sprints away and is captures by the DC dog catchers while Dan is taken to the police station. Will there be a happy hound ending? This is a great film, for the most part. The acting is good, the scenery is lovely, and the direction is active and fun. However, there are a couple of elements that might give parents pause. First, one of the couples that give Danny a ride express violence toward each other, with the wife hitting the husband quite a bit. Ouch. Then, near the end, Danny's juvenile detention place looks incompetent. Finally, Teddy is almost put down, where a doctor raises the deadly needle and where another man sings Dead Dog Walking. Not my idea of tasteful or family-friendly, this is. However, if your family loves animal movies and you have a talk with the kids before hand, this is almost certainly a winner for the next family flick night.

Wow....How did this happen?

Author: Hugo Silva from Lisbon, Portugal
11 July 2012

This is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I know that the intention may be good..they were probably trying to make a somewhat entertaining family movie, but it DID NOT work. A lot of technical aspects as well as poor acting and story brought this movie to its lowest. The actors were not believable at all, the editing and the setting were really bad. There were scenes that made no sense at all throughout the whole movie (small sequences that supposedly should make you emotional I guess). Soundtrack does nothing to help the movie...

Anyways, the only reason this is not getting 1/10 is because maybe this movie will be good for 3 year olds who don't know how to talk yet and enjoy a bunch of nonsense emotional stuff with kids..dogs..and caring adults.

Great family film with no bad language and has a great message

Author: Michael Van Skiver from United States
19 June 2011

My wife and kids found this at Redbox. Thought it was interesting, and of course they HAD to have me watch it the next day. It is a cute and touching movie that keeps you interested throughout the entire movie. Most of the actors in it are unknown, but there are a few known actors that make special appearances. This was done by an independent group that did an awesome job. Such a wholesome movie with no bad language.

Do you like animals, (and especially dogs)? Do you like "tear jerking" movies? Do you like movies that have a neat message? Then this is a movie that fits all those descriptions! Definitely and must try...I think you'll enjoy it!!

Charming Family movie for people with a heart!

Author: hollywoodmanor from Dallas, Texas
12 June 2011

Charming family movie! Watched this at Little Rock Film Festival with a full audience (around 300 people). Everyone cried and laughed, a real feel-good movie! The film screened at the Clinton Presidential Library. We went to see the film again the following Thursday and it was even better the second time we saw it! We want to see this movie when it comes out in theaters. My kids said they can't wait to watch it again. We also all loved the original Dolly Parton songs, and even heard Willie Nelson singing the chorus on one song with his daughter Paula Nelson who also co-stars in the film. I wonder if they'll release a soundtrack as well. The music score by the composer was also great -- sounded like a big orchestra! The best family movie we've seen in a long time. If you have a heart -- you'll love love this movie!

LOVED the movie.... FIRST DOG.

Author: Sue Marshall from United States
15 January 2012

I LOVED THE MOVIE..... FIRST DOG. i don't want to go on and on about it only that it has a wonderful message and you'll loved the movie. anyone who loves animals and a happy ending will love this movie. The actors are terrific and the dog was a beautiful and loving animal.

it is silly to have to go on and on for 10 lines. I just want to say again that this is a great movie for adults as well as kids.

Makes you wish you could adopt all the kids in foster care and all the dogs and cats who are in the HUMANE SOCIETY system. I will sure be buying this movie for my own home library and will give it to family and friends when birthdays and Christmas comes around.

Fantastic heartwarming film with great morals!

Author: Glass_Denise from United States
4 May 2011

I just saw "First Dog" at the Newport beach film festival. It was a precious film with great morals and a wonderful story line. Normally I am not a crier but for some reason I was effected. That is what a great story and great actors do. They effect human beings by shedding light on subject matters that are going on in the world.

It is amazing how Danny, Big Mike and Teddy all become inner connected by one thing. They all have lost their family in someway, shape, and form. By uniting as a team they are able to resolve obstacles that lie ahead in order to "Do the right thing" and return Teddy to his owner...the President of the United States.

If anyone has not had a chance to see this movie at the festivals it is available at Walmart and Netflix. I can not wait to share this film with my family, friends and even strangers!!

Thank you cast and crew for putting together a great film.

Garbled family film

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
26 May 2014

Eric Roberts playing the president of the United States?!? That's some really bizarre casting. As it turns out, the top billed Roberts only has about fifteen minutes of footage in the entire movie, and given the general quality of the movie, he got lucky being given just a small part. Except for Tommy "Tiny" Lister, who gives a surprisingly warm and likable performance as a trucker who befriends the youthful protagonist, the level of acting in this movie is quite dire. But in fairness to the cast, they weren't working with a professional script or direction. The story is really garbled at times, seemingly missing whole scenes or linking footage that might have made things make more sense. Also, the screenplay can't make its mind whether the title mutt is intelligent or dumb. Mostly dumb, as it turns out, like the human characters, some of who could have ended the story much sooner if they were able to think logically. As for the direction, it suffers from bad continuity and a really cheap feeling. I know this movie was aimed at young children, but I think even the target audience will see this movie doesn't have all of its marbles.

Enjoyable and inspiring family film

Author: vchimpanzee from NC
7 April 2014

June Angell is a kind an attractive foster mother to five children in California. One of the kids is mischievous and outgoing and appears likely to be adopted. Another, named Danny, is very shy and won't talk, and at least one couple doesn't want him for just that reason.

At an event for which the Secret Service appear to have prepared well, President Robert Woodruff narrowly escapes being shot when he asks his beloved dog Teddy what is upsetting him so much. In the commotion that follows the gunfire, Teddy disappears, but The President refuses to publicize the fact that his dog is missing.

In a weird plot twist straight out of the Buddy movies, Teddy finds his way into a truck delivering pet food to a location near where he was last seen. The pet food company is run by Dick Van Patten, who plays himself. And Teddy finds his way to California, giving a nasty surprise to Van Patten and his partner. They thought there was plenty of food in the back, but Teddy was hungry.

Teddy somehow ends up being found by Danny, who comes out of his shell. He doesn't notice anything on Teddy's ID except his name, so it takes him a while to investigate. In the meantime, the dog follows him to school and gets him in trouble. There is a simple phone number on the ID, and the person who answers the phone says "White House". Danny is shocked. He asks his foster mom for advice but doesn't go into detail. She says he must do the right thing and return the dog. So Danny calls again, but since he is from California, he is not believed. He asks Miss Angell what to do, and she doesn't believe the dog really belongs to The President.

What to do? Well, Danny must do the right thing.

Danny is too young to hitch rides with whoever, but he does so anyway. He is very determined to get Teddy back to Washington. But Teddy is not allowed on the bus even though the bus has a picture of a dog on the outside. And so Danny's adventure begins. He ends up in Las Vegas with a bunch of irresponsible teens, gets a private concert from a country-rock band, makes friends with trucker Big Mike, and gets mixed up with a couple of small-time bumbling crooks.

And all this time, Danny is on the run from a group of Men in Black. Meanwhile, Miss Angell is concerned.

So will Teddy find his way home?

This is a good family film. Parts of it are just plain silly, and many plot elements are "only in the movies". They just couldn't happen. But if things did happen the way they should, this movie wouldn't last two hours (with commercials) and it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

There are plenty of laughs and lots of tender moments. And while not all the music is my taste, including the talented Paula Nelson Band, there are lots of good country songs written by Dolly Parton.

John-Paul Howard does a good job for a kid. Priscilla Barnes is sweet, loving and attractive, though she shows a few more wrinkles than she did as John Ritter's roommate. And while he doesn't do much, you have to like that one foster kid.

Bernie Kopell has a good scene as a psychiatrist who believes Danny is delusional.

The standout performance in this movie comes from Tiny Lister. Big Mike is a great character. Not only is he big and tough, but he is a gentle teddy bear and a great friend to Danny, even though he is reluctant to give up his freedom to be alone. Like Danny, he has a past which has led him to a life others might not choose, but one which works for him.

Not everything here is warm and fuzzy. Both Danny and Big Mike had something terrible in their past. The teens' behavior gets them in trouble. And the crooks, though bumbling idiots, do represent a genuine threat at times. There is also a serious threat to Teddy, but don't worry.

This is a family film, though it may be questionable for younger children, given the occasional violence and some unpleasant concepts. But overall it is wholesome entertainment. As enjoyable as the TV series "Scandal", "Hostages" and "Crisis" have been, it's a pleasure for a change to see a President of the United States who has proper values. And ethics and values are constantly being taught in this movie.

This is worth seeing.

Very lovely family film for kids and adults, especially dog lovers!

Author: Betty S from United States
22 August 2013

I really enjoyed this film!! I LOVE LOVE dogs and I thought it was super sweet!! There is an emphasis on "doing the right thing" portrayed throughout the whole movie, along with interesting historical facts for young and old. Helpful in instilling integrity in children AND grow ups. There is No foul language or innuendo. All the characters in the movie are believable. It's definitely at a child's level, but I really enjoyed it and I haven't been a child for a very long time! I especially liked the boy, the gentleman who played big Mike, and Teddy, the dog (Little Bear in real life). There is lots of adventure, suspense, action, comedy and some very nice photography. It's very sweet and even teaches you about recognizing when someone is truly honest, by what they do (their actions), and not only what they say. Highly recommend. Dolly Parton's music is also in the film. Get it, Netflix it, DVR it, and you and your kids will love it!!