IMDb > "Lost" The Incident: Part 1 (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost: The Incident: Part 1 (#5.16)"

"Lost" The Incident: Part 1 (2009)

« Prev | 99 of 118 Episodes | Next »

Too good

Author: JackShephard1989 from Romania
14 May 2009

It's known that Lost is one of the best TV-series ever but this episode is too good even for Lost standards. Even from the start (I mean the beginning of the first part of the Incident, in fact it is one big episode, not two) you discover things that you wanted to know just from the very first episodes. And the action really keeps you in tension. The finale of the episode is just brilliant. It let me thinking: "Why didn't I think about this?" It's just logic, everything makes perfect sense. It's very touching too. I can't wait for season 6, until now Lost got better and better,and after an episode like this, better means more than perfect.

Lost Delivers a Fitting Finale

Author: ajaymittal from United Kingdom
15 May 2009

Far too often do TV dramas hold answers back until the end of each episode. This, quite obviously, is employed to retain the viewers' attention; very much like a child eating through their vegetables in pursuit of that promised dessert! However Lost is a pioneer in the unpredictable answer-feeding, a method that has given the series that extra edge when it comes to invoking surprise to its max. The Incident does exactly that as it introduces a very unfamiliar yet rather familiar character right from the outset.

The rest of this 2-part episode is very Lost-like in its script; polished to perfection resulting in 90 minutes of captivating and pulsating drama. In keeping with tradition the episode follows the usual framework that has served every one since the Season 1 – flashbacks (or forwards) with characters giving us their reasons for what they are doing. Enlightening the viewer with a sense of purpose keeps you more involved than you would be but also, and more importantly, it stirs up emotion as well. I thought that giving each main character a share of the limelight was in tune with the 'purpose' of the episode – that everyone had a part to play, not just Jack and Locke.

Yet what is Lost without unanswered questions? In what I believed to be a fantastic ending, Lost has kept us talking, theorizing, speculating and ultimately wanting more. What more can you ask?

Fantastic

Author: gridoon2014
14 May 2009

LOST Season 5 has been uneven on the whole (by this series' standards, it's still great by "normal" standards), but in the last few episodes you get the feeling that it's building to something great, and right now in "The Incident" I'd say the series is back to the level of "Through The Looking Glass" - several separate plot lines/group of characters, all of them gripping, suspenseful and unpredictable, and extremely well-directed by Jack Bender. (Spoilers follow, so beware) In one of the best opening sequences I've seen in a long time, the identity of Jacob is finally revealed - and I felt relieved that he is NOT one of the previously introduced characters. That's what most fans were expecting, but it would make no sense from a storyline perspective, since none of the people who time-traveled had the opportunity to become powerful, feared bosses even at the 1950's ("Jughead"). And he is not a supernatural being, either - he is an ordinary-looking man with supernatural powers. The flashbacks in this episode are brilliant - just like in "Exodus", they belong to multiple characters, and we see how Jacob contacted each of them at an earlier point in their lives. It makes sense that nobody would remember him, just BECAUSE he looks so ordinary. And it also clears up the concept, again first suggested in "Exodus", that these people were selected and brought to the island on purpose - not exactly by "the island itself", but by Jacob. The fact that the episode finds time for genuinely sentimental moments (Rose and Bernard, Sun and Jin, etc.) in the middle of so much tension and mystery is one of the reasons the previous finales, and especially "Live Together, Die Alone", have such a classic status. Just one warning: the more familiar you are with the whole series, the more rewarding this episode will be for you. The script defies expectations and tricks the viewers at every turn, the mythology is thicker than ever before, Jack Bender directs in a very cinematic style, with suspenseful action scenes and clever revealing shots, the special effects are convincing, the music score is effective and the performances are top-notch.

"The Incident" is now part of my TOP-5 of the entire series, along with "The Man Behind The Curtain", "Flashes Before Your Eyes", "Pilot", and "Live Together, Die Alone". **** out of 4.

An incredible piece of storytelling prowess

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
16 May 2009

"The Incident" represents an incredible piece of storytelling prowess. The work of master storytellers who know their twists and turns, and with such an emotional foundation and rich mythology that the twists could not possibly feel less cheap.

The show is done with trying to satisfy a mainstream audience. If you don't know the ins and outs of "Lost" you would not have gotten everything out of "The Incident". If nothing else, you have to respect the fact that this is a major network show which rarely ever makes concessions to non-fans or casual, occasionally-tune-in viewers. It's almost a miracle it lasted this long, and with "The Incident" it could not be clearer that "Lost", during season 2 and the first few episodes of season 3 a clear example of dragged-out storytelling (as the network didn't set an end date, there was no way for the writers to properly plan the rest of the story). Once they got an end date for the show, they kicked into high gear and haven't slowed down since.

Season 5, overall, needs another viewing or maybe even two for me to make my mind up definitively about it. The entire thing definitely feels like an iffy whole, but looking back at specific episodes only a couple really disappointed. It also feels like a whole lot of setup for the final season, which at this point looks to be absolutely mind-blowing. They got a lot of clutter out of the way, which at times definitely got in the way of fluid storytelling, sometimes during episodes where that was an absolute necessity ("The Variable").

But with "The Incident" in mind season 5 seems much better. Usually a "Lost" finale is a payoff for the final few episodes of that season and setup for the next season. "There's No Place Like Home" felt especially like that, mainly concerned with tying up the loose ends of the season, and answering a big question from the previous finale. "The Incident", on the other hand, goes all the way back to season one for stuff to cover, and in fact doesn't tie up the major loose end introduced in the latter half of season 5. It's a different sort of finale, even deliberately slower-paced. It isn't just about tying up loose ends, it's about truly developing the story, pushing the complex (and I mean complex, not complicated) mythology of the series to new heights.

The obligatory action scenes are exceptional not only for their style but also for substance. Jack and Sawyer's fight has been expected for years, and nothing about the lead-up to it within this episode or the consequences feel unnecessary. The shootout at the Swan site is probably the best sustained action sequence of the series, and also serves a purpose. "The Incident" does fall slightly short of some of the show's high points in some of its sillier dramatics (mostly involving Sawyer, Juliet, and Kate), but the actors are so convincing and seemingly convinced by the material that the rare hackneyed moment really works.

Fortunately however, little about "The Incident" is hackneyed, especially nothing to do with the Jacob character. Mentioned first in season 2 (or was it just his list mentioned then? I forgot, but latest by season 3), and spoken of frequently since, he retains his mysteriousness here despite us being shown a lot of him. I am rather pleased that he is not some silly ghost, and am intrigued by the possibility which the first and penultimate scenes suggest of this being something reminiscent of the biblical Jacob & Esau. It would hardly be unfitting considering the many biblical allusions on the show.

"The Incident" is consistently intense and involving, with no scenes wasted on anything even remotely unnecessary. The closest to fluff filler here is Rose and Bernard's scene, but that was adorable and still necessary as a sort of closure. The drama in the final fifteen minutes is beyond thrilling, and the show returns in this episode to the days when a shocking reveal was really a shocking reveal. The penultimate scene contains a reveal so incredible I can't talk about it in a non-spoilery review. The fact that they did that, and that they ended this episode the way they do (the black-on-white thud-LOST at the end has to have significance, though I sincerely doubt it's anything as literal as some people think it is), along with pretty much every single narrative turn this episode took, suggests to me that these writers are among the best working at the moment in film or television. There is literally not the slightest indication at the end of this what next season will be like (hardly difficult to guess that season 4 would show us how they got off the island, for example), and that is frustrating. Frustrating, yet so exciting.

Not going to bother with recap or theorizing, but I can say that I'm on this ride and I like where it's going. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse don't just play with grand concepts and ancient mythology, they have created their own grand concepts and their own grand mythology, and when all is said and done "Lost" will either stand as great entertainment with many high points and some sophistication, or as the high point of multi-season genre television, a truly complete and brilliant mythological epic. Right now it's on its way to being the latter.

Best. Finale. Ever?

Author: itsgillian_w from Canada
23 August 2009

I LOOOVE this episode. I was not expecting it to be as perfect as it is. That beginning! That ending! Just- - everything was perfect. Even the sweat stains. From that awesome beginning that is like any other Lost opening (premiere-wise) to that awesome skin-tingling cliffhanger ending, I've got nothing bad to say (except for the lack of sleep it caused, but it was worth it) about the Incident. This is definitely the best episode of the season. The face I had when L O S T banged onto the screen at the end of it was shock. Pure shock. And giddy. Oh, it was good. Deliciously good. The plot twist I did not see for 2000 miles coming.

Damon and Carlton know how to write their episodes of Lost. When it's all said and done next May, I will flood the house with my tears. Then I'll stop, and watch season 6 again. Then I'll cry and flood the house again.

Awesomely good. I will spare you from my rambling, now. See you in January!

opinion

Author: harpua03 from United States
16 May 2009

I think jack and the crew are gonna pop up back into present time.

Thats why Jacob's dying words were "They are coming" which evil Locke(Esau) expressed concern in facial expressions. Another interesting thing i saw was each of the things Hurley was released from jail with was an item Jacob conveyed to the people he interacted with. Jack - candy Sawyer - a pen Kate - money not to mention Jacob touched each of the people he interacted with in the past(is this the key to being able to come to the island?) I cant wait until next season. The finale really made up for all of the previous episodes this season which I felt were kinda lackluster. I also think they used a number of cool biblical references.

Meeting Jacob

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 April 2013

Frank Lapidus comes to the island with Ilana's group and she shows the mysterious content of a box that they found in the plane. Juliet, Kate and Sawyer escape from the submarine in a rescue boat and they meet Bernard and Rose. Jack, Saying, Richard and Eloise remove the core of the bomb and Jake and Sayid and goes to the Dharma barrack that is in security alert. Sayid is shot by Ben's father and they are rescued by Hurley and Miles. However they are stopped by Sayer, Kate and Juliet. Locke and The Others head to Jacob and Locke tells Ben that he should kill Jacob since he would do whatever he says. In flashbacks, Jacob meets Kate and Sawyer when they are children; Sayid, when Nadia is killed in a hit-and- run accident; and Ilana severely wounded; and Jin and Sun in their wedding.

"The Incident – Part 1" is an episode that goes nowhere and the viewer sees characters meeting Jacob. The mystery is actually a mess due to the non-chronological presentation of the story that seems to be in the end a confused puzzle where nothing is clear. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "The Incident – Part 1"

What lies in the shadow of the statue

Author: Dorje Wangden from Germany
15 May 2009

The comment I write will be for "The Incident" (Part 1 and 2), because it is a two-in-one episode as usual for the season final.

This episode again reveals some of the long hidden secrets, as for example, what is behind the wall of the hatch(season 2), who is Jacob, why does Richard Alpert not age, how did Locke come to life again after Ben killed him. And at the end of this episode there is a cliffhanger, similar to the last seasons, which will make the time waiting for season 6, quite long. What happened after the detonation of the hydrogen bomb? Will they be at LAX? Or still in 1977? What happens after Jacob's death? We are left with questions again, but that's what I love LOST for. See you in some weeks/months.

I'm Sorry I LOST Faith

Author: MatrixMickey from Atlanta
25 May 2009

Just to preface this I'm the biggest LOST fan of all time. Period. Every summer I re-watch every episode from every season, and I still cry at all the emotional parts. But the writers' strike during Season 4 did a serious number on the magic and beauty of the show, unforgivably cutting out two episodes. I was disgusted that my show was decaying, almost falling to the level of strict and predictable plot with no magic or beauty whatsoever (cough 24 cough). In Season 5 it started to recover, but it still was not at it's prime, and I feared that my show would conclude in Season 6 not nearly as wonderfully as it began. Then along came this season finale. Juliet has been my favorite character ever since she broke it off with Jack in "Something Nice Back Home," and every time she cries I can't help but cry myself. So "The Incident" took me to emotional levels I had never reached before. When she was being dragged into that pit I was screaming at the TV, yelling for her to hang on, and I haven't screamed at the TV since Prison Break Season 1. Then the fact that she was the big hero at the end made it even better. Then the fact that Jacob was reading "Everything that Rises must Converge," which I've actually read, made it even better. Then the fact that Locke hasn't been Locke for about half the season gave us something to look back through episodes for and made it even better. Don't say that this is the best finale since Season 3, say this is the best finale. Period.

Wow. Lost's best season finale since Through the Looking Glass

Author: gizmomogwai from Canada
23 May 2009

Just to clarify right off the bat, this review is for both parts of The Incident, which were aired as one episode. This is the best season finale of the show since season 3.

I didn't think season 5 was as great as everyone else thought, but the episode before The Incident came to a shocking conclusion. John Locke was leading the Others and Sun on a pilgrimage to Jacob, supreme leader of the Others- so that Locke could kill Jacob. The burning question is why? Why would he want to kill this man that we know nothing about? I realized that with the final season 5 episode, they were finally going to reveal Jacob. His identity was supposed to be a huge deal; in season 3 Hurley talks about a TV show he watched where the big bad guy's identity was kept a secret and he turned out to be someone previously thought to be a good guy. That seemed to foreshadow a similar revelation about Jacob. However, we finally see Jacob at the beginning of the episode, and he's no one we know, unless he's baby Aaron from the future, which I guess is still a possibility. We see him, but we still don't really know him. And that's a big part of the appeal of this episode. Like the rest of the show, Jacob is intriguing and mysterious. The expression on his face and the music associated with him make him god-like; as we see him in various times meeting future survivors of the plane crash, he comes across as the good guy despite the fact that we really know nothing about him. That mystery is a big part of Lost. Other things are mysterious: Who's his nemesis? Who did Jacob say was coming? (It couldn't be Widmore's people; they already came.) What was that ship we saw at the beginning of the episode? Could it be how the Others first arrived at the island?

Compared to the story following Locke, Ben, Jacob and Richard, the Jack vs. Kate and a bomb storyline isn't as compelling, I guess because, as Rose and Bernard point out, it's more of the same conflict we've seen before- even though it leads to the ultimate fight between Jack and Sawyer.

This episode is also interesting for Ben being given the task of killing Jacob. In having to turn against the master he served so loyally, the villainous, untrustworthy Ben is actually becoming a tragic character.

I don't know what the sixth and final season will bring, but I don't think Lost will let us down.