IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 10 of 14: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Bad Trip

Author: jdesando from United States
16 February 2012

"We'll have all the wealth we'll ever need, just as long as we're together!" Kailani (Vanessa Hudgins)

If Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a parody of adventure movies (see the above quote), then I missed the humor, for there is enough cheese in the awful CGI to make a new moon. This loose sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth happily subs Dwayne Johnson for Brendan Fraser, but neither actor should include these third-rate adventures on their vitae.

Combining Jules Verne, Jonathan Swift, and Robert Louis Stevenson, Journey 2 takes the crew to a mysterious Island where Sean (Josh Hutcherson from Journey to the Center of the Earth) looks for his grandfather, Alexander( Michael Caine). When he does find him, we find an aging actor at the nadir of his career, overacting an eccentric adventurer with fake smiles and laughs to embarrass those of us who remember his marvelous Peachy in a superior adventure, The Man Who would be King. Wait, wait, maybe Caine is out-cheesed by Luis Guzman as a bumbling Latino father of the lovely Vanessa Hudgins, playing his daughter.

Johnson as Sean's step father has his moment singing "What a Wonderful World" on a ukulele around a campfire; yes, I am serious—see for yourself. No valley low enough for director Brad Peyton to go to achieve the peak of cheese.

With an island populated by dwarf elephants and sharks and giant bees (see the crew navigate these bugs to achieve an absurdity even Harry Potter in his games wouldn't attempt), we also find the original Verne Nautilus to get back home, which is where you'll comfortably be but briefly until you check your bank account to assess how much this non-adventure cost you and your family. Or why it was worth it to see Journey 2 in 3-D when 2-D is embarrassing enough.

Better to turn on reruns of Gilligan's Island.

Much better than the first!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
19 February 2012

Four years back, when Journey To The Center Of The Earth released I didn't watch it in the first weekend itself. However, when I did watch it I thoroughly enjoyed it! So, when I heard that Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was releasing I was naturally excited! So, Journey 2 continues with the adventures of the Anderson family. Reprising his role from the first movie, Josh Hutcherson returns as Sean Anderson(the only main character to return from the first movie). Sean, thinks his granddad(Michael Caine), who has been missing for many years, is on the mythical island called The Mysterious Island. So, he makes up his mind to go there. However, step dad Hank(Dwayne Johnson) has always been looking for an opportunity to spend some quality time with his stepson who doesn't really like him much. So, both of them fly to Palau, the area where the island is supposed to be located. So, two people, a father & his daughter agree to fly them to the supposed location of The Mysterious Island. So, after they crash & they discover The Mysterious Island, the adventure begins. Big animals that become small & small animals that become big. They discover the impossible & witness extraordinary things! The island looks even better in 3D! It's like the moviegoer is on the island with the gang! A note, on the performances. Dwayne Johnson does a respectable job, as Hank. Josh Hutcherson is impressive as Sean Anderson. He'll be an actor to look forward to in the coming years. Michael Caine is brilliant as Grandpa Anderson! Luiz Guzman is spectacular as Gabato, the only character to provide constant comic relief in the film. Vanessa Hudgens is effective as Kailani. So, I would like to conclude by saying, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is worth a watch, especially in 3D! Can't wait for Journey 3!

A fun loving film for the whole family!

Author: miasev from Australia
29 January 2012

I saw Journey 2 the day of release here in Australia in 3D and was worried that it would be a cringe fest film of hit and miss humor and horrible 3D effects. I was wrong!

Journey 2 links well to Journey to the Center of the Earth without dwelling on it too much and cleverly introducing the new characters into the franchise.

Dwayne Johnson who plays Hank Parsons gives that macho touch as well as some humorous moments to the film, especially with his 'peck pop of love' (ladies, you'll love that one). He gives a fantastic performance and interacts with the other characters well.

Josh Hutcherson reprises his role as Sean Anderson, also giving a wonderful performance. This talented actor did not fault through out the film, no complaints here...he's definitely one to watch out for in 2012.

Michael Cain who plays Sean Anderson's adventurous grandfather connects well with Hutcherson's character, but also completes the action scenes with ease showing us that he's still got it!

Vanessa Hudgens holds up her end surprisingly well as Kailani, aspiring university student and tough girl, giving a decent, solid, performance...no cringe moments on her behalf.

funny man Luis Guzman did not fail as the ignorant but loving father of Kailani (Hudgens). His funny one liners and hilarious actions had me giggling.

As for the 3D effects i was pleasantly surprised! 3D usually makes me as dizzy as ever and i'm always tempted to remove the glasses. Journey 2, however, was cleverly put together so we weren't watching a blurred film full of action 24/7 and when we were watching some action, it was well executed with elements of slow motion.

Journey 2 is such a feel good film. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to watch some adventure. I will happily go see it again and you know its a good film when you want to go back for more!

A must for a fan of science fiction genre

Author: skm4321
3 February 2012

Though I am a fan of Jules Verne, I was unsure whether this would be a good movie.Also the trailer wasn't good so I had low expectations.

But this movie blew me away and I am glad that I viewed this movie.Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson was just perfect as an ex-marine stepfather.Michael Caine was as usual at his best in acting as an adventure loving,science fiction fan grandfather.Vanessa Hudgens looked very cute in her not so long role.Luis Guzmán was very funny through out the movie and added comic element to the movie.Dwayne Johnson and Josh Hutcherson stepfather son relationship angle was not rushed and entertaining.

One of the movie's big positive aside from its plot is its brisk pace.There are virtually no boring or dull moment in this film. Normally 3D Effects in movies today are bad but this movie had good 3D effects though not of Avatar level but still good enough.As I said earlier its plot is a big positive and If you are science fiction fan,then You are definitely going to enjoy this movie.Movie's plot is narrowly based on many elements from popular science fiction novels like Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels and Verne's Mysterious Island and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.This movie has also some very witty dialogues.

So If you are a fan of Adventure or Science Fiction or Father of Science Fiction Jules Verne' novels and similar novels, Then You shouldn't miss this movie.

If you have a heart and imagination you will enjoy this movie.

Author: Michael Thompson
19 March 2016

They say there is nothing stranger than folk, and reading some truly negative reviews on here proves it.

I thought this movie was delightful, the special effects were superb.

This film had humour and adventure, and the cast played it well.

I am not a reader of books, but am now tempted to read the titles mentioned in this film.

The great writers of the past, lent to the imagination, just as this movie does.

Its basically a light heart frothy romp, centered round Jules Verne's 19th-century novel Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island again a novel by Jules Verne, published in 1874.

Take your kids to see this film, you wont regret it.

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
7 June 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Not knowing what clothes to pack is the worst part of going to a mysterious island.

Thankfully, the island the folks in this action/adventure are heading to is a tropical one.

To bond with his stepson, Sean (Josh Hutcherson), Hank (Dwayne Johnson) lends his decoding skills to a cipher Sean's received.

Once deduced, they're left with a map to a secluded islet where Sean's grandfather (Michael Caine) may still be alive.

Charting a helicopter, the pilot (Luis Guzman) and his daughter (Vanessa Hudgens) fly the stepfather and son to the island.

But when a storm rolls in, the whole group is left stranded on the uncanny island that's populated by over-sized predators.

Based on Jules Verne's novel, this sequel to Centre of the Earth is a half-ass, effects-laden literary lesson, redeemed only by Caine and Johnson's banter.

Worst of all, your travel vaccines are completely useless on a mysterious island. (Red Light)

This was better than I expect

Author: kanizsaik from Hungary
22 May 2012

I thought after the last film, the director won't get Verne's story-hold anytime again. Fortunately I was wrong. If somebody get these books able to find a good stories and unbelievable characters. All what we able to have a good adventurous movie you got. Some characters changing during the story, the whole story is good somehow I felt a bit blitz in the end, but this is the only reason why is not 10 from 10. This film able to watch everyone in the family without any PG. This is the best thing what you can have. If you wait horrifying situation watch horror not adventure. The story is remarkable, but smells a lot. Anyway I loved it because this is not Historical this story remains on old Sci-fi writer book who is still brilliant.

There can be only one!

Author: cinematic13 from United States
21 May 2012

Oh the irony...MYSTERIOUS ISLAND was the sequel (of sorts) to 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. This movie is the ersatz sequel to the recent JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH movie. Pretty much kiddie stuff and not nearly as much fun as the 1961 Harryhausen MYSTERIOUS ISLAND film. Out of the four versions of this story I've seen, that 1961 flick is still the best!

For this new telling, inconsistencies abound with many things seeming unrelated. Won't matter to the little ones, but not sure if adults will feel the same. Regrettably, JOURNEY 3 will be an "adaptaion" of Verne's FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON.

Author: My_Opinion-245-920801 from United States
20 May 2012

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island, was a fantastic feel good story that young adults and children alike will enjoy. There was a little bit of everything that all ages groups could relate too. The story was well written; wisely the director Brad Peyton allowed some comedic interjection played by long time veterans Michael Caine and often under-appreciated Luis Guzmán. The "Rock" Dwayne Johnson did his best to not try to over sell the lovey-dovey connection between the characters of Josh Hutcherson and the lovely Vanessa Hudgens.

The writers did a fantastic job allowing the comedy to natural unfold within the plot confines. This strategy was key: keeping any adults watching this movie from wiggling and squirming in their seats. Too often these types of movies are marketed to the children or vice-versa it was a pleasant surprise to see the writers, directors and producers were on the same page.

The acting was solid. The special effects were extraordinary. This is one of the best performances that Dwayne Johnson has been part of. One can only look forward to seeing him involved in more of these types of projects, instead of trying to be the action hero type.

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island was a win for the kiddies, young adults and adults. A must watch for those who want to see a bit of substance within the action, adventure, comedy genera.

A fun ride on a mysterious island.

Author: sivadigitalart from India
16 March 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a 3D science fiction adventure film directed by Brad Peyton. This film is filled with wonders and adventures in the middle of the forest surrounded by the mysterious creatures. The screenplay is quite typical and repetitious as well as the story is quite predictable and disappointment when compares to the first sequel and their books. Also the 3D effects are rather poor. As usual 3D is pathetic in Chennai so cannot able to enjoy the essence film narrative, and it's creating a visual tension rather than the 3d dimensional depth on the screen. Director Brad Peyton has done a decent job and he is quite innovative with unique comedy and special effects adventure that plays like a twisted, surrealistic film followed by the sequel of the 2008 3D Sci-fi adventure film 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'. A good performance has done by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Especially the scene where Dwayne Johnson plays a song for Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) is something unexpected scene in the theater, its sweet and funny. The Poor side of Dwayne Johnson is that, he was trying hard to perform the romance. The other cast such as Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Michael Caine and Luis Guzman were done their job well. In particular Luis Guzman's unique humorous performance is quite interesting. The story centers on Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) and his stepfather Hank (Dwayne Johnson) who both decodes the coded message which is sent by Sean's grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine) and find out the location of a mysterious island where the grandfather Alexander Anderson got trapped for years. Sean and Hank planing to go to that mysterious island. Later the movie reveals that how they were reached mysterious island and rescued Sean's grandfather from that island. Journey 2 takes the viewer's to enjoy a wonderful ride into a mysterious world and It is a notable adventure tale for 'kids' loaded with wonder, fun, entertainment, love, drama, action, mystery and adventure.

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island: A magic carpet to a mysterious world.

Thursday, March 15, 2012