IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 10 of 13: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

See Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, and the rest have the time of their lives in the 3-D Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
3 March 2012

Josh Hutcherson is teen Sean Anderson, Dwayne Johnson is his stepfather Hank, Michael Caine is Sean's grandfather Alexander who they're looking for, Luis Guzman is Gabato who's the helicopter pilot that takes them to the island Alexander is supposed to be on, and Vanessa Hudgens is Kailani, Gabato's daughter who tags along. This movie takes elements not only of Jules Verne but also of Robert Louis Stevenson and Jonathan Swift (acknowledged in the dialogue) and brings a fun, exciting ride to the title place with plenty of thrilling 3-D elements to the proceedings. Oh, and the former Rock dose a nice rendition of "What a Wonderful World" with changed lyrics to relate to his characterization of the people he's with. Really, I highly enjoyed this movie and really recommend it to any families wanting to have a good time for a couple of hours. And don't miss the new Daffy Duck cartoon that precedes it! So yes, I was entertained with my movie theatre-working friend when watching Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

Journey to Where?

Author: MC1-Bjornson from A rural location in Wisconsin USA
28 February 2012

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island", Rated "PG" for Mild Peril. Running Time: 1hr&34mns.

My Take ** (out of ****)

Did you ever play in your backyard as a youngster, pretending you were in another time and place? I used to do it all the time before the end of my elementary school days. During that time, my backyard took me to the Cretaceous Period with dinosaurs galore and to outer space into the deepest recesses of the final frontier. This was a time of innocence where the sense of wonder and awe was all that was needed to propel you through the journey through the imagination.

As I watched "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island," I channeled my childhood playtime. Straightforward in its simplicity, the movie makes no apologies for not being anything else. "Journey 2" is a "paint by numbers" family film. So be it.

"Journey 2" is loosely based on Jules Verne novels which have been, and continue to be, landmarks in fantasy literature for over a century. These books set the standard against which all other published fantasy works are measured. Not only is "The Mysterious Island" actually a title of one of Verne's works, but this new film also borrows several passages quite heavily from his books, in addition to other fantasy writers' works, to get through the adventure. Just when the characters are unsure of how to proceed in their quest, they literally bust out a Jules Verne book to use as a road guide to achieve their goals. How's that for faith crossed with a poor man's GPS?

This loosely based "Journey to the Center of the Earth" sequel follows the anxious Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) as he frantically tries to decipher a coded message from his missing grandfather Alexander (Michael Caine, "The Dark Knight Rises"). The concerned teen's actions catch the attention of his new stepfather Hank (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson). Instead of interfering with the boy's mission, he decides to support it. Hank has the know how and cash to be an asset to the quest.

Hank and Sean trace the origin of the coded message to a remote location in the southern Pacific Ocean, where they travel to find the fabled Mysterious Island of Verne's book. Naturally, Sean believes the all the works of Verne to be a trail to a real island while Hank is skeptical, yet wanting to be a supportive step-dad.

At the island of Palau, helicopter pilot Gabato (Luis Guzman, "Arthur ") is all too quick to grab Hank and Sean's cash for transportation to "the most dangerous part of the ocean," where the mysterious island is believed to be. The voice of reason against this venture is Gabato's daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens, "High School Musical"). Do you think anybody is going to listen to her wisdom? Definitely not. Do you think she will tag along for the ride? Well, of course!

Ultimately, our weary travelers to "The Mysterious Island." Here's a place where everything we know as giant in size is small, such as elephants and Great White sharks. How much you want to bet everything we know as small is large, such as spiders and lizards? Are these spoilers to you?

To say this is a "paint by numbers" film would be a kind assessment. Here we have a montage of fanciful elements that include the lost island of Atlantis, the location of Captain Nemo's submarine the Nautilus and the Lilliputian elements of "Gulliver's Travels." The only thing missing from this assortment would be a chocolate river from "Willy Wonka." Somebody must not have been able to secure the rights from Roald Dahl's estate to do that.

Do you think our travelers find Grandpa? Oh, the suspense! Do you think the cute Kailiani will initially not like Sean, only to come to love him by the end? Gee, I wonder. Will Sean save Kailani's life? Whoa, I hope so! Do you think Luis Guzman's role exists only to go "oooh" and "aaaah" and provide comic relief? The mystery deepens.

A film like this features a barrage of grand vistas, chiefly of the mysterious island. Strangely, the CGI looks to be a step above what can be achieved with a budget of a television show. The visuals are definitely not on par with the island that was presented in the 2005 incarnation of "King Kong." In the plus column, the visuals are vibrant with vast arrays of color.

Everyone in "Journey 2" is so chipper and the level of tension in the scenes of characters in peril is so completely minor, I'm a little surprised at the film's "PG" rating. Had this film been released 15 years ago, it likely would have been a "G" rated film. How times have changed.

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" is the epitome of "bubble-gum" cinema. This movie is rather witless with sub-par special effects used in abundance trying to awe its viewers. This is not a good movie by any means. To its credit, it is pure escapism and the good naturedness of the adventurers is in abundance. That's something "Journey 2" got right. If you put your feet up and just let the movie be that light-hearted romp it wants to be, maybe, just maybe, you'll be that kid you once were in your backyard riding high on the innocence of it all. How can you lose on those terms?

This movie was released in theaters in February 2012. Traditionally, the months of January and February are not good movie months at the box office. That's when film studios put out whatever they can just to make a buck. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to move on and finally see a film that's worth seeing. "Journey 2" may be good for a little childhood nostalgia, but that's about all. Enough with these appetizers and let's have the main course

Colorful Dumb Fun

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
20 February 2012

Let's get the negatives out of the way: the multicolored computer-animated MYSTERIOUS ISLAND resembles a seventies Hanna Barbara cartoon. And the reason for two suburbanites venturing into a distant island has practically no set up or logic. But it doesn't matter since the adventure itself is fun and involving, and yes, completely banal – but that's not a bad thing.

Teenage Sean, from JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, has a new stepfather, Hank, played by The Rock, that he can't stand. Until the muscular, surprisingly resilient ex Navy man breaks a code sent from Sean's "Vernian" (Jules Verne fanatic) grandfather, who's found the Mysterious Island the iconic author wrote about.

Along the way the duo meet two essential yet, in this case, completely contrived device characters – Luis Guzman as the helicopter pilot comic relief trying way too hard, and his gorgeous daughter as Sean's romantic interest.

Cut to the chase: once they arrive on the island and meet up with grandfather Michael Caine, it's all about escaping from a giant lizard, giant birds (while riding bees), and once underwater, where Nemo's submarine awaits, dodging electric eels.

The suspense builds decently enough on land – if they don't get off the island in time, everything will be covered by the ocean. And it's as simple as that – so what else do you need in a live-action cartoon?

For More Reviews: www.cultfilmfreaks.com

fun movie for kids but prepare for a lack of real script writing

Author: ian-1029 from North England
18 February 2012

Nice movie for the kids to enjoy, but god awful plot and script writing - the scriptwriters should be ashamed - anyway a nice cgi jobbie for the kids (and big kids like me) but leaves you thinking how does all that evolve in 140 years................. ?

I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away? I have to write 10 lines or more on this film, what else do you want me to write without giving the plot away?

Silly,but a lot of fun. Kids will love it.

Author: valleyjohn from United Kingdom
15 February 2012

Its the School holidays , so it's cinema time and it's time to take one for the kids and watch Journey 2 : The Mysterious island. Obviously i wasn't expecting a great deal from a film starring a semi retired wrestler but do you know what ? i really enjoyed this film.

This is the story of Sean , who is contacted by his adventurer Grandfather who is residing on a mythical island . Along with his step father ( Dwayne Johnson ) they discover a way to get to the Island and at the same time heal any differences they might have between themselves.

Let's get one thing straight , you really do have to put yourself into the shoes of a kid when you watch this film to enjoy it. It's extremely far fetched and anybody who really wanted to , could point out gaping plot holes in the film but why bother?

Dwayne Johnson is great as is Michael Caine and Luis Guzmán and the two youngsters did a pretty good job too. The special affect aren't that special especially when they were using bees to fly.

If you take it for what it is then sit back and go on the same journey then i guarantee you will enjoy it. Obviously watching it 3D or Imax ( or both as we did) will much enhance enjoyment.

Journey 2 is a disappointing sequel

Author: CaptMTS from United States
3 March 2012

Journey 2 failed to meet the original film due to tired tricks, forced dialogue and jokes, and an even more implausible story. The film has some funny and exciting moments that get lost amid slow and boring stretches in the predictable storyline.

While I enjoy both Dwayne Johnson and Josh Hutcherson, they are both stuck in one- dimensional roles. Dwayne Johnson plays a stepfather trying to bond with his troubled teen stepson. He flashes his biceps, smiles, sings, crack codes, and shares insights into geologic activity.

Josh Hutcherson reprises his role as the troubled, belligerent teenager who flips his personality once they begin their big adventure where he faces challenges and pursues the girl.

Together, they find Atlantis, only to discover they must find a way off the island before it disappears. They encounter a surprise visitor, strange creatures, and harrowing challenges - this time on a mysterious island instead of the center of the earth.

I would watch the first Journey film and catch Journey 2 on video.

Not all that mysterious

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
26 February 2012

This adventure ride of a movie, was fun for the most part, but it's not film you will be going in to expect to much,but instead just an adventure film like the first Journey film. It never tries to anything more. The effects are alright in some scenes, but in others they seem overdone.

Josh Hutchenson is alright, but I'm really surprised that he did this, for a while he seem to be getting away from those kiddie roles. Vanessa Hugens is just inti has eye candy and nothing more, even she looks bored for the most part. Luis Guman is pretty funny, so was Dwayne THE ROCK Johnson, and Michael Caine is memorable too as Hutchensons grandfather, but his annoyance towards Dwayne's character made no sense.

Better than expected

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 February 2012

I found this more enjoyable than the first one with Brendan Fraser.

Here they try to combine different elements of Jules Verne classics and it is quite enjoyable. The story is alright not complicated at all.

The scenery whether real or fake is quite beautiful and looks okay not over the top. Same with the effects. Enough adventure and thrills without being too action like. The cast is okay. The Rock is a good actor he can do more than just action and can sing too! Looking a bit too bulky though. Michael Caine has quite a tough role for his age.

Couple of faults: The dialog could have been more witty. Vanessa Hudgens was a bit irritating in the first half.

Overall worth a watch.

Movie for kids

Author: cinecorn-com from India
3 February 2012

Just off a special press screening in India. Here is my take on this movie

For a film made in adventure genre the film has thrills but everything looks textbook and already seen before. The feeling of fear and amazement that one expects from movies of this genre is completely lacking. There is nothing new except some amazing bits which work wonderfully in 3D. The emotional connect that was tried to develop between the father and son fails to create any impact. The only positive thing about the film is the pace that doesn't stagnate anywhere and moves consistently in spite of the predictable nature. Mix that pace with some cool 3D effects the film is a decent entertainer. As kids don't have problems with anything of the above the film should strike appeal to them.

For detailed review: http://www.cinecorn.com/telugu/?p=10301

Movie for kids;others might find it hard to sit through

Good, entertaining movie.

Author: rebecca-165 from United States
1 March 2012

Watched it with my 7 year old son, and we both REALLY enjoyed it. We didn't have many expectations going in. We have never seen the first Journey, but from what I can tell they are totally unrelated stories. I have read quite a few bad reviews, but I really like the movie (and I have seen A LOT of G and PG movies). I loved all of the colors, characters, special effects. My son liked it as well, kept us both entertained the whole time. My 2 nieces, who are afraid of most movies, even enjoyed this movies. There were also a few LOL moments between Dwayne and Caine. Overall, not a time waster and worst case scenario, you can stare at Vanessa and/or Dwayne.

Page 10 of 13: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]