IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

There can be only one!

Author: cinematic13 from United States
21 May 2012

Oh the irony...MYSTERIOUS ISLAND was the sequel (of sorts) to 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. This movie is the ersatz sequel to the recent JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH movie. Pretty much kiddie stuff and not nearly as much fun as the 1961 Harryhausen MYSTERIOUS ISLAND film. Out of the four versions of this story I've seen, that 1961 flick is still the best!

For this new telling, inconsistencies abound with many things seeming unrelated. Won't matter to the little ones, but not sure if adults will feel the same. Regrettably, JOURNEY 3 will be an "adaptaion" of Verne's FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON.

Author: My_Opinion-245-920801 from United States
20 May 2012

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island, was a fantastic feel good story that young adults and children alike will enjoy. There was a little bit of everything that all ages groups could relate too. The story was well written; wisely the director Brad Peyton allowed some comedic interjection played by long time veterans Michael Caine and often under-appreciated Luis Guzmán. The "Rock" Dwayne Johnson did his best to not try to over sell the lovey-dovey connection between the characters of Josh Hutcherson and the lovely Vanessa Hudgens.

The writers did a fantastic job allowing the comedy to natural unfold within the plot confines. This strategy was key: keeping any adults watching this movie from wiggling and squirming in their seats. Too often these types of movies are marketed to the children or vice-versa it was a pleasant surprise to see the writers, directors and producers were on the same page.

The acting was solid. The special effects were extraordinary. This is one of the best performances that Dwayne Johnson has been part of. One can only look forward to seeing him involved in more of these types of projects, instead of trying to be the action hero type.

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island was a win for the kiddies, young adults and adults. A must watch for those who want to see a bit of substance within the action, adventure, comedy genera.

A fun ride on a mysterious island.

Author: sivadigitalart from India
16 March 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a 3D science fiction adventure film directed by Brad Peyton. This film is filled with wonders and adventures in the middle of the forest surrounded by the mysterious creatures. The screenplay is quite typical and repetitious as well as the story is quite predictable and disappointment when compares to the first sequel and their books. Also the 3D effects are rather poor. As usual 3D is pathetic in Chennai so cannot able to enjoy the essence film narrative, and it's creating a visual tension rather than the 3d dimensional depth on the screen. Director Brad Peyton has done a decent job and he is quite innovative with unique comedy and special effects adventure that plays like a twisted, surrealistic film followed by the sequel of the 2008 3D Sci-fi adventure film 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'. A good performance has done by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Especially the scene where Dwayne Johnson plays a song for Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) is something unexpected scene in the theater, its sweet and funny. The Poor side of Dwayne Johnson is that, he was trying hard to perform the romance. The other cast such as Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Michael Caine and Luis Guzman were done their job well. In particular Luis Guzman's unique humorous performance is quite interesting. The story centers on Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) and his stepfather Hank (Dwayne Johnson) who both decodes the coded message which is sent by Sean's grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine) and find out the location of a mysterious island where the grandfather Alexander Anderson got trapped for years. Sean and Hank planing to go to that mysterious island. Later the movie reveals that how they were reached mysterious island and rescued Sean's grandfather from that island. Journey 2 takes the viewer's to enjoy a wonderful ride into a mysterious world and It is a notable adventure tale for 'kids' loaded with wonder, fun, entertainment, love, drama, action, mystery and adventure.

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island: A magic carpet to a mysterious world.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Literary Story for Non-Literary Audiences

Author: Chris_Pandolfi from Los Angeles, CA
12 February 2012

This is going to sound crazy, but when I originally saw the trailer for "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island," I had no idea it was a sequel to 2008's "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Perhaps I would have known this had I been aware of Jules Verne's novel "Mysterious Island," but apart from my days as an English major and a brief binge on Stephen King and J.K. Rowling, I've never been much of a reader. I definitely prefer movies; apart from the general absence of exposition, the stories are literally visualized. Indeed, there's much visualization at work in "Journey 2," with heavy emphasis on exotic locations, fantastic creatures, and dynamic action sequences. There's also the fact that the film is presented in 3D, as most films are nowadays. Not much is gained from the experience, apart from some gimmicky moments of things flying directly at the camera.

But I'm not saying anything I haven't said a thousand times before. There are, in fact, only two sequences in which the 3D effects felt immersive, and fortunately, both take place on the titular island. One is an aerial pursuit that plays like a World War II dogfight on steroids. The other takes place in an underwater cave. I've noted in several reviews how underwater shots actually look better in 3D than those in open air. I haven't quite figured out why this is. My theory is that the textural density of water fills every square inch of the screen, allowing for all the visuals to envelop you. Above water, you have only specific objects to focus your attention on, making total immersion difficult. The only genre more ideally suited for 3D than fantasy is animation; perhaps the filmmakers should have gone ahead and rendered the entire film on a computer.

Like its predecessor, "Journey 2" does not literally translate any work by Jules Verne. Instead, it uses them as a springboard for an original story, which this time around incorporates elements from Robert Louis Stevenson and Jonathan Swift. It's also like its predecessor in that it's a largely forgettable family film that has moments of likability. It has a decent enough cast and an adequate plot for younger audiences, although there are moments that made me wish the cast and crew had tried just a little harder. I wasn't particularly impressed with its sense of humor, which is at times jarringly inconsistent with the film's adventurous tone. I also didn't care much for the casting of Luis Guzman, who spends the entire film being buffoonish comedy relief. Believe me when I say that his irritating character gets old real fast.

The plot involves Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson), now a rebellious teenager, receiving a radio message encoded with words and character names from the novels of Verne, Stevenson, and Swift. There to help him decode the message is his new stepfather, Hank Parsons (Dwayne Johnson), a former Navy officer. This character serves as a replacement for Sean's uncle Trevor, played in the previous film by Brendan Fraser. His absence is not explained, but never mind. The message purports that the mysterious island of Verne's story is real, and that the same location is described in Treasure Island and Gulliver's Travels. Sean and Hank collect the three books and tear out the pages with maps of what appear to be three separate islands. When placed one on top of another, they form one complete map. They even provide coordinates.

Sean believes that his long lost grandfather has found the island, and that he's responsible for sending the encrypted message. He's determined to find the island himself, despite the fact that the coordinates point to an area where an island doesn't appear to exist. Hank is willing to indulge, if only to give the two a chance to bond. They travel to the South Pacific island of Palau, and charter a helicopter flight with a local named Gabato (Guzman) and his daughter, Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens). The sudden appearance of a freak hurricane reminds Sean that they must go directly through its eye. And so, after a near-fatal freefall through a flurry of wind and rain, the four passengers come to on the shores of the Mysterious Island, also known as Atlantis. It's a place where elephants are as small as cats, bees are as humongous as Cessnas, and the central volcano spews gold instead of lava.

Lo and behold, they soon cross paths with Sean's grandfather Alexander (Michael Caine), a jungle adventurer of the Saturday matinée serial variety. He and Hank will spend most of the film bickering. Sean will repeatedly try to hit on Kailani. Hank will try to give Sean some advice about women, including the importance of flexing your pecs. And Gabato will constantly make a fool out of himself. When Hank realizes that the island is only days away from sinking due to tectonic plate shifting, they all make a mad dash for the outer cliffs, for hidden within an underwater cave is their only means of escape. I will not reveal what it is. I will say that, like everything else about "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island," it's kind of clever but mostly just preposterous. I suppose I had no reason to expect anything different, although I still think the filmmakers could have tried for a little more.

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)

Didn't expect it to be this good

Author: lalitdevraj from United States
10 February 2012

One can justify this movie as a children's flick rather easily but there is more appeal to all age group as the movie delves further in.

With a 3D viewing, and possibly a grander disorientation in accuracy of review due to my viewing being on an IMAX screen, this movie did not utilize the "cheap" tricks of multiple splashes of water or tripping of characters to enable the feature of 3D, rather, with a combination of slow motion takes and revolved camera shots, the 3D speaks for itself.

Casting was great for the younger audience, but as an adolescent who differentiates factors which make a movie great, the roles of John Hutcherson (Sean) and Michael Caine (Alexander Anderson) were less than par. For marketing purposes I can see why John Hutcherson would be suited, but he appears too old already. Vanessa Hudgens, due to her Disney fame would possibly be received with open arms by the younger target market, but as a viewer of "Suckerpunch", I can take notice of the vast difference.

Screenplay though for this movie was excellent. With a flow which rendered interest in the viewer assured a good response by the end. True, it had its dialogue heavy parts with less of a 'Journey', but these parts spread messages to the crowd about good ethics and all which I presume is idealistic for a children's movie.

Ultimately, I cannot say I adored this movie but definitely this would be the influence of my age and my normal movie viewing experiences hence all I can say with certainty is that this movie is one that kids can enjoy and come out of the theater saying: "I wish I could ride bees like Sean!" For those taking their kids to this movie, hopefully it could be a good bonding moment granted you aren't too restless to leave.

a journey not to be missed

Author: edwbur from United States
10 February 2012

journey 2 the mysterious island is the sequel to the worldwide hit journey to the center of the earth starring brendan Fraser. which was a good film but this one beats it. its about season (returning john hutcherson) who discovers a cryptic message with the help of his step dad hank (Dwayne Johnson) that his grandfather Alexander (Michael Caine) sent to him.once they figured it out they found he was located t the mysterious island, which is an island that Jules Verne once again wrote about. with the help of kailani (vannessa hudgens) and her father gabato (Luis Guzman) they get there and find Alexander, but soon find out that the island is slowly sinking. they must find a way to get off. this one outdoes its predecessor and Dwayne Johnson out matches brendan Fraser. with his historic return to the wwe Dwayne Johnson still can still be a gentle kind hearted man. he shows a lot of versatility and has great chemistry with Sean and Alexander an gabato. he also shows that he can sing and hes very good. but me being a fan of Dwayne Johnson both in movies and the wwe i knew that. Michael Caine brings something fun to the film also. playing a very weird old man but still brings some gentleness to the film. he also brings some veteran acting to the movie. rising stars john hutcherson and Vanessa hudgens bring in solid performances, and Luis Guzman is no doubt the one that brings the most comedy. very funny in this film. but that is his specialty. this one seems more free also. in the first one it seemed as if they where playing it safe a little to much. this one feels a little more loose and it has more creative ideas and better effects. very good film currently out in theaters. you should see it.

excellent

Author: darylebrent from canada
21 December 2012

while i read the reviews of others i must say this movie was great tells the tale of 3 books in history writing of a novelist and explains the story true to form all you nay sayers about this flick get a life and watch the true nature of someones thinking rent it than buy it.i myself is intrigued in all aspect of movies a to z am a movie buff.blah blah blah what the heck to i need to write you a novel to publish my review.may i say there are other movies like journey that goes well with this flick like journey to the center of the earth, return to witch mountain,that keeps the mind racing in action and splendors of movie making.

We enjoyed it all, just fluff but entertaining fluff.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
19 July 2012

You know a guy like Dwayne Johnson doesn't come along very often. When younger he was an all-star football player, then a successful professional wrestler, now a successful movie star and can even sing pretty well. I have become a fan of his. Sure all his movies are fluff entertainment but he makes them entertaining.

Here he is just Hank, stepfather to a kid bent on getting in trouble. But the kid has a grandfather who is an explorer of sorts, and when he gets a mysterious radio message they are all off to find the supposedly fictional "Mysterious Island" that grandpa seems to indicate is real.

Grandpa turns out to be Michael Caine as Alexander. Caine is a good example of the fact that a good actor will find good roles no matter what age he is, because he can always change with the times to stay relevant.

The difficult grandson is Josh Hutcherson as Sean. When they get halfway around the world, armed with coordinates, and need a ride to find the island, rustic helicopter pilot Luis Guzmán as Gabato is there. Along with his pretty daughter, Vanessa Hudgens as Kailani.

Naturally not all goes as planned, they get helicopter-wrecked but do find grandpa and realize they really are on this strange island which really is the lost city of Atlantis. Isn't it supposed to be under the sea? Yes, at times, but now it happens to be on its island cycle. When it starts to sink before they thought it would, they had to scramble to find a way off the island.

Nothing in this story is plausible, so that allows us to get over that thought right away, and just sit back and enjoy the fun. And the movie is fun and enjoyable as light entertainment. It does exactly what it sets out to do.

So harmless and genial, it's hard to hate

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
2 July 2012

Your initial question when approaching Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is, most likely, what is it a sequel to? Apparently, it is the loose follow up to 2008's Journey to the Center of Earth (unseen by me), which was one of the first films to utilize 3D, in its RealD revival form. Its sequel, made four years later, included the same medium and the forthcoming sequel to this film, arriving in 2014, will likely utilize it as well. I can't speak for the 3D viewing, but I can say, it certainly doesn't seem necessary.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is probably 2012's most interesting adventure film. Not great. Not riveting. But often exciting, cheery, and enjoyable. It flashes back to that style of adventure filmmaking Disney would continuously use in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's, like Swiss Family Robinson and the Witch Mountain franchise (recently remade, also boasting Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson). Maybe it was The Rock's instantly charismatic charm, the nostalgic outline and delightful homage the film pays, or possibly the underlying sweetness of all the characters, the lavish scenery, or the beautifully employed action sequences, but Journey 2: The Mysterious Island shredded my cynicism at the door and bravely carried me throughout its runtime.

The story follows seventeen year old adventure-seeker Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) as he relentlessly tries to decode a message sent to him by his grandfather, Alexander Anderson, who has been missing on an island for two years. Sean is very distant from his step-father, Hank Parsons (Dwayne Johnson), and Hank makes a kind and earnest attempt to connect with him by trying to decode the message. When it is done (in an incredulous amount of minutes), Sean desperately wants to make the journey to Palau, where he can then get a ride out to sea where the island, named "The Mysterious Island," is located and hopefully find his grandfather. After cracking, Hank makes the effortless purchase of two tickets to Palau and the adventure is just beginning.

The two meet Gabato (Luis Guzman) and his daughter, Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens), who agree to fly them out to the island, because nobody else will, for $3000. Because the island is surrounded by vicious winds and hurricane-like storms, they crash land on the sand and begin exploring. They eventually meet up with Sean's grandfather, played by Michael Caine, where they learn that the entire island will sink in only a few days, so they decide they are the ones who need to stop it.

Whoa, have I said a mouthful. Still following me? Notice how I used some words like "effortless" and "incredulous?" It is those instances the film erects itself on. Insanely, next to impossible circumstances that can be solved in a fast few minutes. For someone who isn't good at suspending disbelief, the film truly made me look past that and see lighthearted, cheeky escapism it sincerely wants to bring. Cheeky meaning the film is jam-packed with strange villains and hazards, along with some mildly crude dialog, not to mention calling out clichés inhabited by other adventure movies from decades back.

Journey 2 is directed with skill and coordination by Brad Peyton, and includes some of the most enticing scenery this year in film. While most of it is CGI, the campiness and joyful qualities from adventure films from decades past is replicated in a wondrous and limitless way, catering to the homage part of the film's checklist. Aerial shots come frequently, and none of them feel too long or overstayed. They feel welcomed and are embraced.

There are times when Journey 2 gets too reliant on toilet humor, mainly from the ungraceful character, Gabato, but everything is kept in a positive, unobtrusive wit that manages to carry the film throughout most of its course. The picture, as a whole, is so harmless and genial that it's kind of hard to hate. Sometimes with children's movies, I get the message, I get the story, and I get the overall plot, but am not interested nor entranced in the story or characters. While many things are stock and many things are kept very basic (the love story between Sean and Kailani), I enjoyed Journey 2: The Mysterious Island more than other adventure films this year, including one that has swept the box office and is based on a novel that everyone has read. It employs something often lost in children's films and that something is pleasantness.

Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Luis Guzman, and Kristin Davis. Directed by: Brad Peyton.

Extraordinary

Author: Erkut Tunc from Melbourne, Australia
16 June 2012

This is an awesome movie. I was watching it with my family and we turned the volume very high. We all loved it. My favorite scene of the movie is when the boy said "I think I found a way off the island" and then he saw the beautiful place. The effects were awesome and it made stunning high sound quality. This movie was stunning and I can't wait to watch Journey 3: From the Earth to the Moon. I hope some new characters get introduced and more awesome journeys pop inside the movie with a surprise. But my question is how did Brendan Fraser die? By the way Dwayne Johnson (THE ROCK) did a really good job in the movie and Brendan Fraser should have been in it as well.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]