IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Why God, why?

Author: jany-xacur from Mexico
27 May 2012

I expected to see a good movie... Well sort of it... As a Jules Verne's adaptation I thought it was going to be incredible, but first of all, combining 3 different authors? I mean it's supposed to be interesting, but the plot wasn't really good, I had a tiny sight of the island... And what about all the history Verne tells us about in his book? Sincerely I haven't read the other 2 books mentioned, but just Verne's book has a LOT to be based on, and I didn't see it, well talking about the special effects I must say they were terrible, no sense of reality, but OK, I didn't watch the movie in a 3D cinema room, so I guess they might be better in those rooms... Anyway Atlantis? Really? I don't remember the book mentioning Atlantis... I know it's not according EXACTLY to the book, but I just think that based in the original idea, they could have done better, just the book has a lot to offer and they had a good range to have profit of.

Journey to Where?

Author: MC1-Bjornson from A rural location in Wisconsin USA
28 February 2012

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island", Rated "PG" for Mild Peril. Running Time: 1hr&34mns.

My Take ** (out of ****)

Did you ever play in your backyard as a youngster, pretending you were in another time and place? I used to do it all the time before the end of my elementary school days. During that time, my backyard took me to the Cretaceous Period with dinosaurs galore and to outer space into the deepest recesses of the final frontier. This was a time of innocence where the sense of wonder and awe was all that was needed to propel you through the journey through the imagination.

As I watched "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island," I channeled my childhood playtime. Straightforward in its simplicity, the movie makes no apologies for not being anything else. "Journey 2" is a "paint by numbers" family film. So be it.

"Journey 2" is loosely based on Jules Verne novels which have been, and continue to be, landmarks in fantasy literature for over a century. These books set the standard against which all other published fantasy works are measured. Not only is "The Mysterious Island" actually a title of one of Verne's works, but this new film also borrows several passages quite heavily from his books, in addition to other fantasy writers' works, to get through the adventure. Just when the characters are unsure of how to proceed in their quest, they literally bust out a Jules Verne book to use as a road guide to achieve their goals. How's that for faith crossed with a poor man's GPS?

This loosely based "Journey to the Center of the Earth" sequel follows the anxious Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) as he frantically tries to decipher a coded message from his missing grandfather Alexander (Michael Caine, "The Dark Knight Rises"). The concerned teen's actions catch the attention of his new stepfather Hank (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson). Instead of interfering with the boy's mission, he decides to support it. Hank has the know how and cash to be an asset to the quest.

Hank and Sean trace the origin of the coded message to a remote location in the southern Pacific Ocean, where they travel to find the fabled Mysterious Island of Verne's book. Naturally, Sean believes the all the works of Verne to be a trail to a real island while Hank is skeptical, yet wanting to be a supportive step-dad.

At the island of Palau, helicopter pilot Gabato (Luis Guzman, "Arthur ") is all too quick to grab Hank and Sean's cash for transportation to "the most dangerous part of the ocean," where the mysterious island is believed to be. The voice of reason against this venture is Gabato's daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens, "High School Musical"). Do you think anybody is going to listen to her wisdom? Definitely not. Do you think she will tag along for the ride? Well, of course!

Ultimately, our weary travelers to "The Mysterious Island." Here's a place where everything we know as giant in size is small, such as elephants and Great White sharks. How much you want to bet everything we know as small is large, such as spiders and lizards? Are these spoilers to you?

To say this is a "paint by numbers" film would be a kind assessment. Here we have a montage of fanciful elements that include the lost island of Atlantis, the location of Captain Nemo's submarine the Nautilus and the Lilliputian elements of "Gulliver's Travels." The only thing missing from this assortment would be a chocolate river from "Willy Wonka." Somebody must not have been able to secure the rights from Roald Dahl's estate to do that.

Do you think our travelers find Grandpa? Oh, the suspense! Do you think the cute Kailiani will initially not like Sean, only to come to love him by the end? Gee, I wonder. Will Sean save Kailani's life? Whoa, I hope so! Do you think Luis Guzman's role exists only to go "oooh" and "aaaah" and provide comic relief? The mystery deepens.

A film like this features a barrage of grand vistas, chiefly of the mysterious island. Strangely, the CGI looks to be a step above what can be achieved with a budget of a television show. The visuals are definitely not on par with the island that was presented in the 2005 incarnation of "King Kong." In the plus column, the visuals are vibrant with vast arrays of color.

Everyone in "Journey 2" is so chipper and the level of tension in the scenes of characters in peril is so completely minor, I'm a little surprised at the film's "PG" rating. Had this film been released 15 years ago, it likely would have been a "G" rated film. How times have changed.

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" is the epitome of "bubble-gum" cinema. This movie is rather witless with sub-par special effects used in abundance trying to awe its viewers. This is not a good movie by any means. To its credit, it is pure escapism and the good naturedness of the adventurers is in abundance. That's something "Journey 2" got right. If you put your feet up and just let the movie be that light-hearted romp it wants to be, maybe, just maybe, you'll be that kid you once were in your backyard riding high on the innocence of it all. How can you lose on those terms?

This movie was released in theaters in February 2012. Traditionally, the months of January and February are not good movie months at the box office. That's when film studios put out whatever they can just to make a buck. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to move on and finally see a film that's worth seeing. "Journey 2" may be good for a little childhood nostalgia, but that's about all. Enough with these appetizers and let's have the main course

Much 2 Do About Nothing

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
5 March 2012

Sequels with no more than one of its original cast members reprising his role don't always inspire confidence. Josh Hutcheron is the only actor who makes an encore in "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island," a far-fetched but entertaining follow-up to Eric Brevig's 2008 hit "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with Brendan Fraser. Supposedly, Fraser encountering scheduling difficulties and could return. Dwayne Johnson steps into Brendan Fraser's shoes as Josh Hutcherson's new stepfather. Joining them this time around for the PG-rated, 94-minute adventure is "HighSchool Musical" starlet Vanessa Hudgens, veteran Hispanic character actor Luis Guzman, and Oscar-winner Michael Caine as Josh's long-lost grandfather. Caine is actually quite convincing as an elderly Indiana Jones in khakis and fedora. "Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore" director Brad Peyton's lightweight but predictable epic suffers from sketchy characters, hazy suspense, and a surfeit of goofy humor, but it is a lot of fun. Riding bumble-bees in a "Star Wars" styled race through the woods provides some excitement. Indeed, some of "Journey 2's" 3-D effects actually appear to fly at you. The Rock's quivering pectorals and flying berries are amusing as are the undersea scenes. Johnson provides the beef, while Caine delivers the exposition with his charismatic British accent. The sequel takes place five years after the original. Josh has grown up considerably and rides a motorcycle as if he were Steve McQueen. The opening sequence when he plunges a dirt bike into a residential swimming pool is a fun way to get the action going. This is largely a family friendly film that generates a modicum of suspense and tension. Josh receives a coded transmission that contains the names of characters from Verne's novels from his grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine), but it is former Navy code breaker Hank Parsons (Dwayne Johnson) who deciphers it. The Vernian characters in the message alert Josh that his grandfather has sent the message. Josh decides to investigate, but he cannot get anywhere without taking stepfather Dwayne. This one is much more imaginative than the original, and the scenes the Captain Nemo's legendary submarine the Nautilus. Okay, "Journey 2 the Mysterious Island" is hokum, but Peyton keeps things moving at a swift pace.

Who's ready for an adventure ?

Author: Daphne De Poorter from Belgium
4 March 2012

For those who have seen the movie Journey to the Center of the Earth then i would advise you guys to go and watch this one to. It's not really a sequel as the story is different and you didn't had to see the first to understand it. It's a good movie for those who know Jules Verne will see that the producer has done a good job. A lot of funny moments come along with great adventure scenes with a bit of love mixed in it to.

It's not a movie that would rock your world , you will be able to predict some of the crucial parts but on the other hand this is a movie thats also fun to watch for children so its understandable that the story couldn't been that complicated. If you have small children i would advise to go and watch this movie , but this doesn't means that it's not suitable for adults.

Conclusion: This movie has great influence on the imagination of the human brain , a wonderful story is being projected with matching music on the background. Thats why i have giving a rating of 7/10.

Not all that mysterious

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
26 February 2012

This adventure ride of a movie, was fun for the most part, but it's not film you will be going in to expect to much,but instead just an adventure film like the first Journey film. It never tries to anything more. The effects are alright in some scenes, but in others they seem overdone.

Josh Hutchenson is alright, but I'm really surprised that he did this, for a while he seem to be getting away from those kiddie roles. Vanessa Hugens is just inti has eye candy and nothing more, even she looks bored for the most part. Luis Guman is pretty funny, so was Dwayne THE ROCK Johnson, and Michael Caine is memorable too as Hutchensons grandfather, but his annoyance towards Dwayne's character made no sense.

Better than expected

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 February 2012

I found this more enjoyable than the first one with Brendan Fraser.

Here they try to combine different elements of Jules Verne classics and it is quite enjoyable. The story is alright not complicated at all.

The scenery whether real or fake is quite beautiful and looks okay not over the top. Same with the effects. Enough adventure and thrills without being too action like. The cast is okay. The Rock is a good actor he can do more than just action and can sing too! Looking a bit too bulky though. Michael Caine has quite a tough role for his age.

Couple of faults: The dialog could have been more witty. Vanessa Hudgens was a bit irritating in the first half.

Overall worth a watch.

Movie for kids

Author: cinecorn-com from India
3 February 2012

Just off a special press screening in India. Here is my take on this movie

For a film made in adventure genre the film has thrills but everything looks textbook and already seen before. The feeling of fear and amazement that one expects from movies of this genre is completely lacking. There is nothing new except some amazing bits which work wonderfully in 3D. The emotional connect that was tried to develop between the father and son fails to create any impact. The only positive thing about the film is the pace that doesn't stagnate anywhere and moves consistently in spite of the predictable nature. Mix that pace with some cool 3D effects the film is a decent entertainer. As kids don't have problems with anything of the above the film should strike appeal to them.

For detailed review: http://www.cinecorn.com/telugu/?p=10301

Movie for kids;others might find it hard to sit through

Good, entertaining movie.

Author: rebecca-165 from United States
1 March 2012

Watched it with my 7 year old son, and we both REALLY enjoyed it. We didn't have many expectations going in. We have never seen the first Journey, but from what I can tell they are totally unrelated stories. I have read quite a few bad reviews, but I really like the movie (and I have seen A LOT of G and PG movies). I loved all of the colors, characters, special effects. My son liked it as well, kept us both entertained the whole time. My 2 nieces, who are afraid of most movies, even enjoyed this movies. There were also a few LOL moments between Dwayne and Caine. Overall, not a time waster and worst case scenario, you can stare at Vanessa and/or Dwayne.

Bad Trip

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
16 February 2012

"We'll have all the wealth we'll ever need, just as long as we're together!" Kailani (Vanessa Hudgins)

If Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a parody of adventure movies (see the above quote), then I missed the humor, for there is enough cheese in the awful CGI to make a new moon. This loose sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth happily subs Dwayne Johnson for Brendan Fraser, but neither actor should include these third-rate adventures on their vitae.

Combining Jules Verne, Jonathan Swift, and Robert Louis Stevenson, Journey 2 takes the crew to a mysterious Island where Sean (Josh Hutcherson from Journey to the Center of the Earth) looks for his grandfather, Alexander( Michael Caine). When he does find him, we find an aging actor at the nadir of his career, overacting an eccentric adventurer with fake smiles and laughs to embarrass those of us who remember his marvelous Peachy in a superior adventure, The Man Who would be King. Wait, wait, maybe Caine is out-cheesed by Luis Guzman as a bumbling Latino father of the lovely Vanessa Hudgins, playing his daughter.

Johnson as Sean's step father has his moment singing "What a Wonderful World" on a ukulele around a campfire; yes, I am serious—see for yourself. No valley low enough for director Brad Peyton to go to achieve the peak of cheese.

With an island populated by dwarf elephants and sharks and giant bees (see the crew navigate these bugs to achieve an absurdity even Harry Potter in his games wouldn't attempt), we also find the original Verne Nautilus to get back home, which is where you'll comfortably be but briefly until you check your bank account to assess how much this non-adventure cost you and your family. Or why it was worth it to see Journey 2 in 3-D when 2-D is embarrassing enough.

Better to turn on reruns of Gilligan's Island.

Much better than the first!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
19 February 2012

Four years back, when Journey To The Center Of The Earth released I didn't watch it in the first weekend itself. However, when I did watch it I thoroughly enjoyed it! So, when I heard that Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was releasing I was naturally excited! So, Journey 2 continues with the adventures of the Anderson family. Reprising his role from the first movie, Josh Hutcherson returns as Sean Anderson(the only main character to return from the first movie). Sean, thinks his granddad(Michael Caine), who has been missing for many years, is on the mythical island called The Mysterious Island. So, he makes up his mind to go there. However, step dad Hank(Dwayne Johnson) has always been looking for an opportunity to spend some quality time with his stepson who doesn't really like him much. So, both of them fly to Palau, the area where the island is supposed to be located. So, two people, a father & his daughter agree to fly them to the supposed location of The Mysterious Island. So, after they crash & they discover The Mysterious Island, the adventure begins. Big animals that become small & small animals that become big. They discover the impossible & witness extraordinary things! The island looks even better in 3D! It's like the moviegoer is on the island with the gang! A note, on the performances. Dwayne Johnson does a respectable job, as Hank. Josh Hutcherson is impressive as Sean Anderson. He'll be an actor to look forward to in the coming years. Michael Caine is brilliant as Grandpa Anderson! Luiz Guzman is spectacular as Gabato, the only character to provide constant comic relief in the film. Vanessa Hudgens is effective as Kailani. So, I would like to conclude by saying, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is worth a watch, especially in 3D! Can't wait for Journey 3!

Page 9 of 13: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]