IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Silly but great anyway

Author: rcmurbella7 from Melbourne, Australia
17 November 2012

Why 7/10? Great 3D, the in-your-face kind. Not overdone, but enough to give some good 'jump' moments. Great resolution and fantastic colour (correct English spelling) saturation and depth. The depth control of the 3D effects were spot on.

A couple of easily-spotted goofs... the helicopter had a single joystick (which they don't) with both the pilot's hands on it, when in fact the right hand should have been on a 'cyclic control' and the left on the 'collective'. The birds chasing the bees were Bee Eaters, which is why the were chasing them. The disappearing/reappearing bird crap on the shirt was just bad continuity, something that I thought had been bread out of movie making.

Acting was minimal, and who knew Dwayne could sing? Even so, a thoroughly enjoyable, fun film.

We enjoyed it all, just fluff but entertaining fluff.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
19 July 2012

You know a guy like Dwayne Johnson doesn't come along very often. When younger he was an all-star football player, then a successful professional wrestler, now a successful movie star and can even sing pretty well. I have become a fan of his. Sure all his movies are fluff entertainment but he makes them entertaining.

Here he is just Hank, stepfather to a kid bent on getting in trouble. But the kid has a grandfather who is an explorer of sorts, and when he gets a mysterious radio message they are all off to find the supposedly fictional "Mysterious Island" that grandpa seems to indicate is real.

Grandpa turns out to be Michael Caine as Alexander. Caine is a good example of the fact that a good actor will find good roles no matter what age he is, because he can always change with the times to stay relevant.

The difficult grandson is Josh Hutcherson as Sean. When they get halfway around the world, armed with coordinates, and need a ride to find the island, rustic helicopter pilot Luis Guzmán as Gabato is there. Along with his pretty daughter, Vanessa Hudgens as Kailani.

Naturally not all goes as planned, they get helicopter-wrecked but do find grandpa and realize they really are on this strange island which really is the lost city of Atlantis. Isn't it supposed to be under the sea? Yes, at times, but now it happens to be on its island cycle. When it starts to sink before they thought it would, they had to scramble to find a way off the island.

Nothing in this story is plausible, so that allows us to get over that thought right away, and just sit back and enjoy the fun. And the movie is fun and enjoyable as light entertainment. It does exactly what it sets out to do.

So harmless and genial, it's hard to hate

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
2 July 2012

Your initial question when approaching Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is, most likely, what is it a sequel to? Apparently, it is the loose follow up to 2008's Journey to the Center of Earth (unseen by me), which was one of the first films to utilize 3D, in its RealD revival form. Its sequel, made four years later, included the same medium and the forthcoming sequel to this film, arriving in 2014, will likely utilize it as well. I can't speak for the 3D viewing, but I can say, it certainly doesn't seem necessary.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is probably 2012's most interesting adventure film. Not great. Not riveting. But often exciting, cheery, and enjoyable. It flashes back to that style of adventure filmmaking Disney would continuously use in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's, like Swiss Family Robinson and the Witch Mountain franchise (recently remade, also boasting Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson). Maybe it was The Rock's instantly charismatic charm, the nostalgic outline and delightful homage the film pays, or possibly the underlying sweetness of all the characters, the lavish scenery, or the beautifully employed action sequences, but Journey 2: The Mysterious Island shredded my cynicism at the door and bravely carried me throughout its runtime.

The story follows seventeen year old adventure-seeker Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) as he relentlessly tries to decode a message sent to him by his grandfather, Alexander Anderson, who has been missing on an island for two years. Sean is very distant from his step-father, Hank Parsons (Dwayne Johnson), and Hank makes a kind and earnest attempt to connect with him by trying to decode the message. When it is done (in an incredulous amount of minutes), Sean desperately wants to make the journey to Palau, where he can then get a ride out to sea where the island, named "The Mysterious Island," is located and hopefully find his grandfather. After cracking, Hank makes the effortless purchase of two tickets to Palau and the adventure is just beginning.

The two meet Gabato (Luis Guzman) and his daughter, Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens), who agree to fly them out to the island, because nobody else will, for $3000. Because the island is surrounded by vicious winds and hurricane-like storms, they crash land on the sand and begin exploring. They eventually meet up with Sean's grandfather, played by Michael Caine, where they learn that the entire island will sink in only a few days, so they decide they are the ones who need to stop it.

Whoa, have I said a mouthful. Still following me? Notice how I used some words like "effortless" and "incredulous?" It is those instances the film erects itself on. Insanely, next to impossible circumstances that can be solved in a fast few minutes. For someone who isn't good at suspending disbelief, the film truly made me look past that and see lighthearted, cheeky escapism it sincerely wants to bring. Cheeky meaning the film is jam-packed with strange villains and hazards, along with some mildly crude dialog, not to mention calling out clichés inhabited by other adventure movies from decades back.

Journey 2 is directed with skill and coordination by Brad Peyton, and includes some of the most enticing scenery this year in film. While most of it is CGI, the campiness and joyful qualities from adventure films from decades past is replicated in a wondrous and limitless way, catering to the homage part of the film's checklist. Aerial shots come frequently, and none of them feel too long or overstayed. They feel welcomed and are embraced.

There are times when Journey 2 gets too reliant on toilet humor, mainly from the ungraceful character, Gabato, but everything is kept in a positive, unobtrusive wit that manages to carry the film throughout most of its course. The picture, as a whole, is so harmless and genial that it's kind of hard to hate. Sometimes with children's movies, I get the message, I get the story, and I get the overall plot, but am not interested nor entranced in the story or characters. While many things are stock and many things are kept very basic (the love story between Sean and Kailani), I enjoyed Journey 2: The Mysterious Island more than other adventure films this year, including one that has swept the box office and is based on a novel that everyone has read. It employs something often lost in children's films and that something is pleasantness.

Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Luis Guzman, and Kristin Davis. Directed by: Brad Peyton.

Jack Carter on a giant Bee......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
2 June 2012

Sean Anderson receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island that should not exist.

Unable to stop tracking the signal, he sets out with a small group on a journey to the mysterious island - a place few people have ever seen or lived to tell about.

What they find is an island of stunning beauty, strange and threatening life forms, volcanoes, mountains of gold and more astonishing secrets....

Yes, The Rock makes a lot of these movies, some of them are okay, and some of them feature Maurice Micklewhite flying a giant bee.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, step father and son bond on a dangerous trip, boy falls for hot girl, and girls dad is the comic relief.

The first movie was okay enough for my daughter, and this one fared pretty much the same, but I could have done with out the berry trick scene featuring The Rocks chest. I know it might have been done as if to apologise to mothers for making them sit through it, but I didn't feel comfortable with this in a kids film.

As always, though, he is good with this type of stuff, because the film isn't about character development, it's about set pieces and special effects, which are all perfunctory.

The rest of the cast are so so, and Heaven knows what Caine was doing in this, he must need another house, because i cannot think of another reason as to why he would be in this.

It gets from A to B by way of C, and it's perfect for children, just very boring, and slightly creepy, for adults.

Let's make a movie that looks cool with weird size animals. We don't need a plot. Sounds good. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
22 May 2012

"Let me warn you, this island is full of dark jungles and terrifying creatures." After Sean Anderson (Hutcherson) receives a code that he can't quite make out he is surprised when his mom's husband Hank (Johnson) comes in and solves it. After learning that the "mysterious island" may actually exist him and Hank set off on an adventure. After being surprised with how much I liked the first "Journey" movie I was a little excited to see this one. While this was entertaining the original was a much, much better movie. This was 3D in the theater and I think that may have helped me liking it more. There is really not much of a plot: Boy wants to go to island, boy goes to island, boy tries to get off island. This is more like "Honey, I shrunk the kids" then the first "Journey" but it is entertaining. The only real problem I had with it is that is seemed to be a movie where people said, lets make it look pretty and have strange sized animals for an hour and a half. That's pretty much what this is. Overall, entertaining but not as good as original. My kids felt the same way. I give it a B, they give it a B+.

This movie could have done better

Author: pogsnet from Philippines
21 May 2012

This movie could have done better. I should have scored 5/10 but because of Vanessa Hudgens I add 2 (no need to explain). This movie should have been a family oriented movie, well it still is. What is lacking is the taste to impress the audience, failed to bring the audience into the movie itself and feel the adventure themselves. Just look for example in Jurassic Park (part 1), Avatar and many other adventure movies that capture the heart of the audience. Right music, right scenes could make things better and adventure films don't need or require good scripts unless you wanna make a drama movie.

Flaws, first I don't see or can't feel any fear from any actors in portions they should have. Secondly, excitement is no where also in moments there should be. Probably this lack a drama taste. Jurassic Park has it and that makes it great.

This movie has a lot of potential and endless possibilities to capture the audience heart but they simply throw them away as if this is poorly budgeted movie. I have no problems with the cast, the thing of the matter is somewhere on the production has a lot of unforgivable flaws. Sorry this film is not worth it to be recommended.

not bad, except the bad casting job of the son

Author: rightwingisevil from United States
18 May 2012

this is actually a quite interesting family movie, very entertaining and full of fun. Dwayne Johnson has effortlessly proved that other than wrestling with his muscles, he could also act and make you like him pretty easily. his screen image, in my opinion, would be like a bottle of good-year napa valley wine, matured nicely in the movie industries. the little kid actor, Josh Hutcherson, who was in "Bridge to Terabithia 2007" has grown into a teenager without too much facial changes. the problem of this young actor is that he doesn't have the charisma or any likable personality to become a great actor. by choosing him in this pretty fun movie was a big mistake. he looked quite out of the place to play such role. when he appeared on the screen, he immediately gave me a very uncomfortable impression and after awhile, such feeling never went away or faded out but even became stronger. this is the 2nd younger generation actor after Scott Caan, son of james caan, that i really think they should not choose the acting as their careers, because both are bad actors, not just about their heights.

Journey 2:Mysterious Island has great 3D effects but story lacks depth

Author: jamesmacleod2010 from United States
19 February 2012

This movie was awesome to see in IMAX 3D, but it lacked interesting characters, funny jokes, and a few scenes (only a few) were cheesy. Vanessa Hudgens was lacking the hotness that teenage boys would want,and the jokes were lame. the story line was fine and everyone liked the constant fight between Hank and Alexander. The ending was predictable and sometimes you didn't believe the characters were on a "Mysterious Island" because after five minutes being on the island they acted as though it was just find to be on an island with giant bugs and strange creatures. The privacy sign was supposed to be a joke, but it was ignored and therefore a lame director's gag. Watch for it. I saw this movie today and it is for sure a "Sunday morning movie" rather than a date night or party night movie. The idea of small being big and big being small was fun. 6/10 stars.

A return to classic Saturday afternoon cinema

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
8 June 2012

Sequels rarely top their original predecessors. One comes along every once in a while that surprises moviegoers by besting the original. "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" is a perfect example of an exception to the rule. It's packed with more action, better special effects, and a bigger and better cast than 2008's "Journey to the Center of the Earth."

Director Brad Peyton ("Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore ") keeps the action and comedy coming throughout this fun film. When it's not throwing giant lizards, storms, and other exciting thrills at you, it humors you with Johnson and Guzman's awkward silliness. This has everything kids and the young-at-heart could want in an escapist film. It's a return to classic Saturday afternoon cinema where you just go into the theater and forget about your troubles for an hour and a half.

Why God, why?

Author: jany-xacur from Mexico
27 May 2012

I expected to see a good movie... Well sort of it... As a Jules Verne's adaptation I thought it was going to be incredible, but first of all, combining 3 different authors? I mean it's supposed to be interesting, but the plot wasn't really good, I had a tiny sight of the island... And what about all the history Verne tells us about in his book? Sincerely I haven't read the other 2 books mentioned, but just Verne's book has a LOT to be based on, and I didn't see it, well talking about the special effects I must say they were terrible, no sense of reality, but OK, I didn't watch the movie in a 3D cinema room, so I guess they might be better in those rooms... Anyway Atlantis? Really? I don't remember the book mentioning Atlantis... I know it's not according EXACTLY to the book, but I just think that based in the original idea, they could have done better, just the book has a lot to offer and they had a good range to have profit of.

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]