IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 8 of 13: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Who's ready for an adventure ?

Author: Daphne De Poorter from Belgium
4 March 2012

For those who have seen the movie Journey to the Center of the Earth then i would advise you guys to go and watch this one to. It's not really a sequel as the story is different and you didn't had to see the first to understand it. It's a good movie for those who know Jules Verne will see that the producer has done a good job. A lot of funny moments come along with great adventure scenes with a bit of love mixed in it to.

It's not a movie that would rock your world , you will be able to predict some of the crucial parts but on the other hand this is a movie thats also fun to watch for children so its understandable that the story couldn't been that complicated. If you have small children i would advise to go and watch this movie , but this doesn't means that it's not suitable for adults.

Conclusion: This movie has great influence on the imagination of the human brain , a wonderful story is being projected with matching music on the background. Thats why i have giving a rating of 7/10.

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Author: spehrson from Oakland, CA
11 February 2012

I did not see it in 3-D, perhaps that might have been something. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief pretty readily, but this pile of trash was so full of plot holes and unbelievable character motivation that I felt physically Ill throughout the screening. If not for my girlfriend and her two kids I would have left the theater. Instead I put up with the torture of a bad script, horrific acting acting, and the lamest, borderline sexist, comedy (calling an old man grandmother, I find that offensive) I've seen in a long while. I spent most of the movie feeling sorry and embarrassed for Michael Caine. The kids seemed to like it (as well as some of the adults in the audience)... I fear for the future of our civilization.

Bad Trip

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
16 February 2012

"We'll have all the wealth we'll ever need, just as long as we're together!" Kailani (Vanessa Hudgins)

If Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a parody of adventure movies (see the above quote), then I missed the humor, for there is enough cheese in the awful CGI to make a new moon. This loose sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth happily subs Dwayne Johnson for Brendan Fraser, but neither actor should include these third-rate adventures on their vitae.

Combining Jules Verne, Jonathan Swift, and Robert Louis Stevenson, Journey 2 takes the crew to a mysterious Island where Sean (Josh Hutcherson from Journey to the Center of the Earth) looks for his grandfather, Alexander( Michael Caine). When he does find him, we find an aging actor at the nadir of his career, overacting an eccentric adventurer with fake smiles and laughs to embarrass those of us who remember his marvelous Peachy in a superior adventure, The Man Who would be King. Wait, wait, maybe Caine is out-cheesed by Luis Guzman as a bumbling Latino father of the lovely Vanessa Hudgins, playing his daughter.

Johnson as Sean's step father has his moment singing "What a Wonderful World" on a ukulele around a campfire; yes, I am serious—see for yourself. No valley low enough for director Brad Peyton to go to achieve the peak of cheese.

With an island populated by dwarf elephants and sharks and giant bees (see the crew navigate these bugs to achieve an absurdity even Harry Potter in his games wouldn't attempt), we also find the original Verne Nautilus to get back home, which is where you'll comfortably be but briefly until you check your bank account to assess how much this non-adventure cost you and your family. Or why it was worth it to see Journey 2 in 3-D when 2-D is embarrassing enough.

Better to turn on reruns of Gilligan's Island.

Much better than the first!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
19 February 2012

Four years back, when Journey To The Center Of The Earth released I didn't watch it in the first weekend itself. However, when I did watch it I thoroughly enjoyed it! So, when I heard that Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was releasing I was naturally excited! So, Journey 2 continues with the adventures of the Anderson family. Reprising his role from the first movie, Josh Hutcherson returns as Sean Anderson(the only main character to return from the first movie). Sean, thinks his granddad(Michael Caine), who has been missing for many years, is on the mythical island called The Mysterious Island. So, he makes up his mind to go there. However, step dad Hank(Dwayne Johnson) has always been looking for an opportunity to spend some quality time with his stepson who doesn't really like him much. So, both of them fly to Palau, the area where the island is supposed to be located. So, two people, a father & his daughter agree to fly them to the supposed location of The Mysterious Island. So, after they crash & they discover The Mysterious Island, the adventure begins. Big animals that become small & small animals that become big. They discover the impossible & witness extraordinary things! The island looks even better in 3D! It's like the moviegoer is on the island with the gang! A note, on the performances. Dwayne Johnson does a respectable job, as Hank. Josh Hutcherson is impressive as Sean Anderson. He'll be an actor to look forward to in the coming years. Michael Caine is brilliant as Grandpa Anderson! Luiz Guzman is spectacular as Gabato, the only character to provide constant comic relief in the film. Vanessa Hudgens is effective as Kailani. So, I would like to conclude by saying, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is worth a watch, especially in 3D! Can't wait for Journey 3!

A must for a fan of science fiction genre

Author: skm4321
3 February 2012

Though I am a fan of Jules Verne, I was unsure whether this would be a good movie.Also the trailer wasn't good so I had low expectations.

But this movie blew me away and I am glad that I viewed this movie.Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson was just perfect as an ex-marine stepfather.Michael Caine was as usual at his best in acting as an adventure loving,science fiction fan grandfather.Vanessa Hudgens looked very cute in her not so long role.Luis Guzmán was very funny through out the movie and added comic element to the movie.Dwayne Johnson and Josh Hutcherson stepfather son relationship angle was not rushed and entertaining.

One of the movie's big positive aside from its plot is its brisk pace.There are virtually no boring or dull moment in this film. Normally 3D Effects in movies today are bad but this movie had good 3D effects though not of Avatar level but still good enough.As I said earlier its plot is a big positive and If you are science fiction fan,then You are definitely going to enjoy this movie.Movie's plot is narrowly based on many elements from popular science fiction novels like Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels and Verne's Mysterious Island and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.This movie has also some very witty dialogues.

So If you are a fan of Adventure or Science Fiction or Father of Science Fiction Jules Verne' novels and similar novels, Then You shouldn't miss this movie.

love it Love It LOVE IT!!!!!!

Author: laraliu10 from United States
12 February 2012

Just to be noted, I am a 15 year old girl so my input may be different than what you actually think of this movie. To start, this movie was brilliant. Throughout the theater, that had a wide range of children and adults and teens, there was not one moment where the laughter stopped.

The 3D wasn't needed, but it was a nice touch, not really a gimmick. The effects were incredible, the island was gorgeous and it really looked like they were immersed in the island, and all the creatures were very well done. Cinematography: 15!!! oh ooops....10.

The acting was great. The Rock was shown a different, touching side and personally I liked it, he was very funny. He can sing! Josh Hutcherson is such a great, young, gifted actor it's actually insane how awesome this kid is. I love him. Vanessa Hudgens was much better than her regular High School Musical role, though she was stereotyped as the eye candy, which i didn't like, but she gave a great performance. She and Hutcherson had great chemistry. The grandpa, Caine, was very funny and is always a great actor. Finally the comic relief: Luis Gozman (Spelling?) was very funny and really fit the that caring, over protective father role well. Yes, it was a bit cheesy at times Acting: 9

Now for the story. I had no idea that this was related to Journey to the Center of the Earth, 2008, a movie that i also loved. This story was all its own. It was wonderful, slightly predictable at times, but wonderful. I liked the story. It brought in different elements but wasn't too complex or hard to understand. There were great relationship developments between boy and girl, father and son, father and daughter, grandfather and stepson. It taught good lessons and was very cute. The story was creative and different. I wish it had been a bit longer though, some more character development scenes would've been nice. But overall I really liked the story, I thought it was different and unique. Story: 9

So that's a 28/30, that's a 93. If you're 4 or 104, you will love this movie. The only thing to worry about is a few scary monsters, but its great. This movie was gorgeous, well-acted, and nonstop funny. Don't miss this one.

excellent

Author: darylebrent from canada
21 December 2012

while i read the reviews of others i must say this movie was great tells the tale of 3 books in history writing of a novelist and explains the story true to form all you nay sayers about this flick get a life and watch the true nature of someones thinking rent it than buy it.i myself is intrigued in all aspect of movies a to z am a movie buff.blah blah blah what the heck to i need to write you a novel to publish my review.may i say there are other movies like journey that goes well with this flick like journey to the center of the earth, return to witch mountain,that keeps the mind racing in action and splendors of movie making.

Extraordinary

Author: Erkut Tunc from Melbourne, Australia
16 June 2012

This is an awesome movie. I was watching it with my family and we turned the volume very high. We all loved it. My favorite scene of the movie is when the boy said "I think I found a way off the island" and then he saw the beautiful place. The effects were awesome and it made stunning high sound quality. This movie was stunning and I can't wait to watch Journey 3: From the Earth to the Moon. I hope some new characters get introduced and more awesome journeys pop inside the movie with a surprise. But my question is how did Brendan Fraser die? By the way Dwayne Johnson (THE ROCK) did a really good job in the movie and Brendan Fraser should have been in it as well.

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
7 June 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Not knowing what clothes to pack is the worst part of going to a mysterious island.

Thankfully, the island the folks in this action/adventure are heading to is a tropical one.

To bond with his stepson, Sean (Josh Hutcherson), Hank (Dwayne Johnson) lends his decoding skills to a cipher Sean's received.

Once deduced, they're left with a map to a secluded islet where Sean's grandfather (Michael Caine) may still be alive.

Charting a helicopter, the pilot (Luis Guzman) and his daughter (Vanessa Hudgens) fly the stepfather and son to the island.

But when a storm rolls in, the whole group is left stranded on the uncanny island that's populated by over-sized predators.

Based on Jules Verne's novel, this sequel to Centre of the Earth is a half-ass, effects-laden literary lesson, redeemed only by Caine and Johnson's banter.

Worst of all, your travel vaccines are completely useless on a mysterious island. (Red Light)

Jack Carter on a giant Bee......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
2 June 2012

Sean Anderson receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island that should not exist.

Unable to stop tracking the signal, he sets out with a small group on a journey to the mysterious island - a place few people have ever seen or lived to tell about.

What they find is an island of stunning beauty, strange and threatening life forms, volcanoes, mountains of gold and more astonishing secrets....

Yes, The Rock makes a lot of these movies, some of them are okay, and some of them feature Maurice Micklewhite flying a giant bee.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, step father and son bond on a dangerous trip, boy falls for hot girl, and girls dad is the comic relief.

The first movie was okay enough for my daughter, and this one fared pretty much the same, but I could have done with out the berry trick scene featuring The Rocks chest. I know it might have been done as if to apologise to mothers for making them sit through it, but I didn't feel comfortable with this in a kids film.

As always, though, he is good with this type of stuff, because the film isn't about character development, it's about set pieces and special effects, which are all perfunctory.

The rest of the cast are so so, and Heaven knows what Caine was doing in this, he must need another house, because i cannot think of another reason as to why he would be in this.

It gets from A to B by way of C, and it's perfect for children, just very boring, and slightly creepy, for adults.

Page 8 of 13: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]