IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 7 of 13: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

8/10 for the Journey 2 :D

Author: Haley Henslee from United States
23 June 2012

If I'm to be totally honest about this movie, I liked it. Definitely the kind of thing I would have watched when I was younger. The thing I did NOT like though, was how fast the beginning was, and how they all of a sudden knew exactly what to do next, or what this means, or what this is. Such as, when Sean (Josh Hutcherson) knew exactly what the riddles meant, and exactly where the books would be in the beginning, and also when he knew the name of the birds that were chasing them on the bees. I understand that he's supposed to be playing a "straight A" student who's a science goof, but come on. Overall, though, I enjoyed it. The visual effects were very cool. Also, I really enjoyed seeing The Rock popping his pecks. At that point I nearly died (death by laughter ;D). 8/10 from me :)

The title sums up how bad this movie is

Author: rickystickyman from Pan-dimensional
23 June 2012

The first time I read the title of this movie while it was in development I laughed and cried at the same time. The first movie was called "Journey to the center of the earth" which is directly the title of the book. But this movie is called "Journey 2 the mysterious island" which is based off of the book "Mysterious Island"... this is too funny. That means we are now pretending that the first movie was really "Journey: to the center of the earth" and this movie should be "Journey 2: the mysterious island" but they never fixed that problem so it just looks sloppy. (note that some places say "Journey 2: the mysterious island" and automatically corrected that grammar problem)

Journey 2 has a lot of problems in it, but you probably would've guessed what the problems were from the first time you watched the trailer. The Rock is in this movie, replacing Fraser which is a little bit annoying since Fraser is a much more enjoyable character and actor. You can tell from this movie that it is going to be heavily family oriented with little creativity or originality. This movie was just made to be an easy cash-grab and that's it. The Rock doesn't do anything overly original in this movie and there is a joke about his pecs and deflecting fruit which was honestly rather stupid and kind of annoying. Really he is dull. Luis Guzmán was entirely a comedy relief in this movie and was entirely stereotypical... which was rather disappointing. I don't blame him so much, it's more of his script that sucks.

But there are two actors here which I can respect a little bit more ion this movie: Michael Caine and Josh Hutcherdad. Josh Hutchernephew actually attempts to do a good job at acting in this movie, and I actually kind of enjoyed some of his dialogue. Michael Caine wasn't over the top in this movie, but he didn't do a bad job. If there was a problem I had with Josh Hutcherdaughter it wasn't his acting but it was his dialogue. In the movie Josh Hutchergreatgrandpa has the whole "I'm a super intelligent, self efficient teenager who says stuff that sounds smart but actually makes no sense". It bothers me when you're in a movie and you understand their "smart" dialogue but you can tell it makes no sense. If you have the time to pretend that something far fetched could happen, at least try and make a reasonable explanation.

Visual is another issue this movie has. The visuals... are repulsive and awful. There is an entire lack of creativity for the whole mysterious island scenario which is probably one of the biggest problems this film has. If a family movie is all about the visual experience then at least put some work into them. All of the animals/monsters in this movie are about as dull as it gets. I'm not even joking here, no effort at all went into making the animals. On the mysterious island all of the animal sizes are reversed: Elephants are punt sized and lizards are giant behemoths. Now even I could've taken some creative liberties with this one, but this movie takes no creativity. Animal sizes are reversed... but with no visual changes. Basically a tiny elephant looks identical to a large elephant, and large Bees look identical to tiny bees except for size. This makes me even more mad than the actors and the entire scenario. The makers could've at least made the animals look a bit visually different than their normal counterparts since they evolved bigger wouldn't that mean that they should've changed even slightly? Oh yeah and the CGI is probably at least 6 years out of date which also adds to the visuals being dull in appearance and in creativity. At least the first movie had some creativity which makes me wonder why this movie couldn't have been as creative as the last.

The plot isn't interesting, basically it throws in every plot device from the book into the movie such as Atlantis, the Nautilus, captain Nemo and other stuff like that. Not terrible but not intriguing. Of course there is a love interest for Josh Hutchermom but nobody really cares about it because it seemed forced.

In summary: this movie may be good for younger audiences but it has nothing to offer for any movie-goer. Personally, I think all sequels need to be watched just so that you know for a fact whether it was good or not. I rarely avoid bad sequels because I will always have that feeling that I missed a part of what the creators wanted me to see. So if you have seen the first, you might as well watch this movie.

Good plot, special effects, action, but my god.. the dialog

Author: poqbum from United States
25 May 2012

Could have been a great movie, but the writers for this movie are absolutely horrid. There is suppose to be some sort of witty banter going on between characters, and it's just painful to watch.

An absolute waste of time. If you have kids, they will probably still enjoy it, and you may even be able to stand watching it for the entire movie if you know you're doing it for the kids. Unfortunately I watched this without kids, so I didn't get any sort of meaningful pleasure out of this torture.

I regret watching this movie, and wish I never did. Please for the good of all humanity, I hope whoever wrote the scripts for this movie to never write again.

What a brilliant idea

Author: Ahmed Dawod from Egypt
29 May 2012

I don't know what other reviewers were thinking when they down-rated this movie. Some say that it had lots of action !!!!! There is a difference between adventure and action. I would praise the author's bright mind. Who in the world could think to get the four world famous novels "Treasure Island", "Gulliver's Travels", "The Mysterious Island: Shipwrecked in the air" and "50,000 leagues under the sea" in one marvelous work like this. I felt like watching "National Treasure" or "Da Vinci Code". This movie is wonderful. Especially the part when they got the three maps of the three books in one map. Who could think of that? Three Different books by three different authors suddenly appears to be talking about the same island all done by the brilliant authors of this movie. Other than the story I would like to point out that the movie is exciting with continuous events especially when it came to one of my favorite topics "Atlantis". Believe me it is worth watching.

This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Author: spehrson from Oakland, CA
11 February 2012

I did not see it in 3-D, perhaps that might have been something. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief pretty readily, but this pile of trash was so full of plot holes and unbelievable character motivation that I felt physically Ill throughout the screening. If not for my girlfriend and her two kids I would have left the theater. Instead I put up with the torture of a bad script, horrific acting acting, and the lamest, borderline sexist, comedy (calling an old man grandmother, I find that offensive) I've seen in a long while. I spent most of the movie feeling sorry and embarrassed for Michael Caine. The kids seemed to like it (as well as some of the adults in the audience)... I fear for the future of our civilization.

love it Love It LOVE IT!!!!!!

Author: laraliu10 from United States
12 February 2012

Just to be noted, I am a 15 year old girl so my input may be different than what you actually think of this movie. To start, this movie was brilliant. Throughout the theater, that had a wide range of children and adults and teens, there was not one moment where the laughter stopped.

The 3D wasn't needed, but it was a nice touch, not really a gimmick. The effects were incredible, the island was gorgeous and it really looked like they were immersed in the island, and all the creatures were very well done. Cinematography: 15!!! oh ooops....10.

The acting was great. The Rock was shown a different, touching side and personally I liked it, he was very funny. He can sing! Josh Hutcherson is such a great, young, gifted actor it's actually insane how awesome this kid is. I love him. Vanessa Hudgens was much better than her regular High School Musical role, though she was stereotyped as the eye candy, which i didn't like, but she gave a great performance. She and Hutcherson had great chemistry. The grandpa, Caine, was very funny and is always a great actor. Finally the comic relief: Luis Gozman (Spelling?) was very funny and really fit the that caring, over protective father role well. Yes, it was a bit cheesy at times Acting: 9

Now for the story. I had no idea that this was related to Journey to the Center of the Earth, 2008, a movie that i also loved. This story was all its own. It was wonderful, slightly predictable at times, but wonderful. I liked the story. It brought in different elements but wasn't too complex or hard to understand. There were great relationship developments between boy and girl, father and son, father and daughter, grandfather and stepson. It taught good lessons and was very cute. The story was creative and different. I wish it had been a bit longer though, some more character development scenes would've been nice. But overall I really liked the story, I thought it was different and unique. Story: 9

So that's a 28/30, that's a 93. If you're 4 or 104, you will love this movie. The only thing to worry about is a few scary monsters, but its great. This movie was gorgeous, well-acted, and nonstop funny. Don't miss this one.

Silly but great anyway

Author: rcmurbella7 from Melbourne, Australia
17 November 2012

Why 7/10? Great 3D, the in-your-face kind. Not overdone, but enough to give some good 'jump' moments. Great resolution and fantastic colour (correct English spelling) saturation and depth. The depth control of the 3D effects were spot on.

A couple of easily-spotted goofs... the helicopter had a single joystick (which they don't) with both the pilot's hands on it, when in fact the right hand should have been on a 'cyclic control' and the left on the 'collective'. The birds chasing the bees were Bee Eaters, which is why the were chasing them. The disappearing/reappearing bird crap on the shirt was just bad continuity, something that I thought had been bread out of movie making.

Acting was minimal, and who knew Dwayne could sing? Even so, a thoroughly enjoyable, fun film.

Harmless, pleasantly distracting stuff.

Author: Ryan_MYeah
7 September 2012

Just caught up with this one on Blu-Ray, and while it's certainly not smart, it makes as an adequate guilty pleasure. Continuing after Journey to the Center of the Earth, Journey 2 sees Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) going on an adventure with his step-father Hank (Dwayne Johnson). Sean is searching for his grandfather (the exuberant Michael Caine), a Vernian who believes the tales of author Jules Verne to be based on truth rather than fantasy. Hitching a ride with a sleazy helicopter pilot and his daughter (Vanessa Hudgens as Sean's obligatory love interest), they set forth to find the legendary Mysterious Island, complete with big special effects, terrifying monsters, and in your face 3D.

From a screen writing perspective, this is not a good movie. The script, riddled with a textbook of clichés, exists merely to make an excuse for nifty effects in a string of prolonged action scenes, with the exception of breaks (what few there are) to develop character. Everyone of the cast looks like they're having a blast, but their characters are so thin as to be paper cut outs. It has no unique personality or food for thought, but, simple is the way to go with these kind of old-school adventure flicks.

Part of Journey 2's appeal is that it doesn't get brought down by an overly complicated script. It moves quickly, and the action is surprisingly really fun to watch. I also must give kudos to the effects guys. The 3D gimmicks get tiresome, and the effects are not always subtle and seamless, but a lot of effort was clearly made in creating this immense and fantastical world. Andrew Lockington also provides us with an exotic and thrilling score that features some of the most addicting and original musical themes I've heard in years.

You still have to turn your brain off to enjoy it, but it should be a pleasant diversion. It may not be very memorable, but I never got bored while watching it.

*** / *****

excellent

Author: darylebrent from canada
21 December 2012

while i read the reviews of others i must say this movie was great tells the tale of 3 books in history writing of a novelist and explains the story true to form all you nay sayers about this flick get a life and watch the true nature of someones thinking rent it than buy it.i myself is intrigued in all aspect of movies a to z am a movie buff.blah blah blah what the heck to i need to write you a novel to publish my review.may i say there are other movies like journey that goes well with this flick like journey to the center of the earth, return to witch mountain,that keeps the mind racing in action and splendors of movie making.

We enjoyed it all, just fluff but entertaining fluff.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
19 July 2012

You know a guy like Dwayne Johnson doesn't come along very often. When younger he was an all-star football player, then a successful professional wrestler, now a successful movie star and can even sing pretty well. I have become a fan of his. Sure all his movies are fluff entertainment but he makes them entertaining.

Here he is just Hank, stepfather to a kid bent on getting in trouble. But the kid has a grandfather who is an explorer of sorts, and when he gets a mysterious radio message they are all off to find the supposedly fictional "Mysterious Island" that grandpa seems to indicate is real.

Grandpa turns out to be Michael Caine as Alexander. Caine is a good example of the fact that a good actor will find good roles no matter what age he is, because he can always change with the times to stay relevant.

The difficult grandson is Josh Hutcherson as Sean. When they get halfway around the world, armed with coordinates, and need a ride to find the island, rustic helicopter pilot Luis Guzmán as Gabato is there. Along with his pretty daughter, Vanessa Hudgens as Kailani.

Naturally not all goes as planned, they get helicopter-wrecked but do find grandpa and realize they really are on this strange island which really is the lost city of Atlantis. Isn't it supposed to be under the sea? Yes, at times, but now it happens to be on its island cycle. When it starts to sink before they thought it would, they had to scramble to find a way off the island.

Nothing in this story is plausible, so that allows us to get over that thought right away, and just sit back and enjoy the fun. And the movie is fun and enjoyable as light entertainment. It does exactly what it sets out to do.

Page 7 of 13: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]