IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

So ridiculous you just can't take it seriously

Author: Rob_Taylor
9 July 2012

Oh, I know. That's the whole point. It's not meant to be taken seriously. But really? Journey 2 goes out of its way to be so far beyond ridiculous that it is, at times, painful to watch.

Yeah, little kids will love it. Adults will hate it. I guess I must be (mentally, at least) somewhere in the middle, but since I couldn't stop laughing at the stupid, it is difficult to tell.

Usually when I watch a kid's film, I'm mostly interested in whether it is actually suitable for kids or not. In this case , as I said above, little kids will find it bright and entertaining.

Slightly older kids I'm not so sure. I don't think there is anything remotely like common sense anywhere in the plot and smart kids will see through it like last night's fish and chip's wrapper.

There are questionable scenes (enjoyable for an adult!) of Vanessa Hudgens butt (mostly covered) which I wasn't sure about. Nothing nasty, but just a few too many lingering bum-shots. Maybe they gave the cameraman carte-blanche, who knows? It's really not a very good film and the wackiness is, at times, overwhelming, hence why I laughed a lot - not at the intended jokes, but the stupidity of it all. But it was pleasant laughter, all the same, just not what the writer and director had imagined, I'm sure.

It's all kinds of stupid and you will be glad when its over, trust me. But for small kids its a passable diversion, I guess.

The one section that comes across far nastier than it was intended, I'm sure, were the initial scenes between The Rock and Michael Cain. There is some really unpleasant dialogue between the two as the rivalry for the step-sons affections takes hold. I mean a real bitter undercurrent between them. You actually begin to hate Caine's character for his snide comments.

They make up in the end, of course, and all is well. But for those opening scenes. Ouch! All in all though, not really worth the effort.

Good not great family movie...worth a watch!

Author: ford_guy20042000 from THE COLONY, TX
7 June 2012

OK, before I even get into the movie...it is an adventure/fantasy movie that has The Rock in it. That speaks volumes about it right there. If you are looking for realism here you are barking up the wrong tree.

First, what makes the movie.

It has a fair amount of visual effects. The CGI was OK. And Michael Caine is a joy to watch in any movie. It's a good family friendly movie to sit down and watch with your kids. It is one of those things you just have to take it for what it is. If you let yourself enjoy then you will.

Now, what it lacks in. Totally unbelievable and ridiculous characters. In the first few minutes of the film you will see where it loses all credibility. Without divulging any spoilers...I just don't think The Rock is THAT bright. The CGI...like I said before it is OK...and it varies drastically. Some of it is wonderful. Some of it looks rushed and hurried. It just seems odd that there can be such a gap in between quality of CGI.

The worst thing about it...is the absolute and complete lack of chemistry between any of the main characters. I felt no emotional connection...no bond...nothing. I would have liked to have seen at least some chemistry somewhere, but by the end of the movie I still felt like they were all complete strangers that happened to go on a journey together. If they could have built the relationships up a bit...this would have been a much better movie.

Luis Guzman played Vanessa Hudgens Father, the pilot to the Mysterious Island and the comedic relief. I felt his part was overplayed. He was too comedic, too clownish to ever procreate with someone to make the likes of the lovely Vanessa Hudgens.

Vanessa, plays the love interest of our hero Sean, played by the young Josh Hutcherson. Like I said previously there is not a bit of chemistry between them...besides being a vague love interest she serves no purpose that furthers the film. She is a pretty girl and if her shorts got much lower they would have had to up the rating a few steps. Watching her made me feel old.

Josh Hutcherson did what he could with the dialog he had to work with. And it was obvious that he had a much better connection and work experience with Brandon Fraser on the first Journey movie.

The Rock...aside from talented pectoral muscles his acting was muted. His action scenes were too, but I fault the director for not providing him with any. On a positive note...who knew he had such a lovely singing voice? Michael Caine and The Rock had the best dialog together by far. And it is interesting to watch Mr. Caine in most anything. Even this. However they could have done so much more with him.

Kids won't realize that this is a fair to poor movie. Adults will feel a little jilted, especially if you dropped $6.99 on it like we did through pay-per-view.

It is what it is. If the writing had been there, and the direction... (I mean come on this is the same guy who did Cats & Dogs the Revenge of Kitty Galore.)...then it could have been something.

Grab your kids, a bowl of popcorn, and enjoy while Hollywood eviscerates a classic Jules Verne story.

Why God, why?

Author: jany-xacur from Mexico
27 May 2012

I expected to see a good movie... Well sort of it... As a Jules Verne's adaptation I thought it was going to be incredible, but first of all, combining 3 different authors? I mean it's supposed to be interesting, but the plot wasn't really good, I had a tiny sight of the island... And what about all the history Verne tells us about in his book? Sincerely I haven't read the other 2 books mentioned, but just Verne's book has a LOT to be based on, and I didn't see it, well talking about the special effects I must say they were terrible, no sense of reality, but OK, I didn't watch the movie in a 3D cinema room, so I guess they might be better in those rooms... Anyway Atlantis? Really? I don't remember the book mentioning Atlantis... I know it's not according EXACTLY to the book, but I just think that based in the original idea, they could have done better, just the book has a lot to offer and they had a good range to have profit of.

The right balance between thrill and scare

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
1 August 2016

This film tells the story of a young man who receives an encrypted message from his lost adventurer grandfather. He decides to head to the Pacific Ocean with his stepfather to find this mysterious island that his grandfather is on.

The first "Journey" film was way too scary, as it has many really ugly and threatening monsters in it. This time round, I am glad that "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" tones down the scare factor. The monstrous creatures are not too threatening, and some are even nice to look at. The perilous situations provide adequate thrill without being too scary or unsettling. I think "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" has found the right balance between thrill and scare.

However, I still find the film not as enjoyable as it could be. I think the events happen just too conveniently. Everything seems to be at the character's fingertips, and everyone knows everything. It is just too unrealistic, set in a background of pure fantasy.

High Adventure Kids Classic

Author: oliver brown from Australia
2 June 2016

Remember the amazing high adventure movies you saw as a kid?

This is the modern equivalent - more temple of doom than raiders the effect on kids is amazing. I now have to play Lego Atlantis and Captain Nemo with my 5 year old and its one all the kids enjoy.

The bad reviews are not from this movies target audience.

The Rock is awesome, the humour appropriate and the adventure tense but not scary.

You know how Hollywood often gets it audience wrong these days well not this time.

This will be a kids classic and much loved when they are older and they will decide this films place in the genre. Not grumpy adults who went to see it as a serious movie.

Prime example of an 8/10 film

Author: drystyx from United States
1 July 2015

This is what it is, and for those few who don't know, that means it's high sci-fi adventure with plenty of thrills and great, likable, credible characters in an incredible situation on an island of giant creatures whose means of escape rely on the boat of the ill fated fictional Captain Nemo.

This lives up to everything, mostly because of the comedy and the characters. Done much like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in the style of unbelievable adventure, it never fails to show us what a film is supposed to be.

As I stated before, many films try this, but fail to be good films because they try too hard to shove hate down our throats, which unless one is a great writer, results in one dimensional characters.

Here, we have some crazy characters, but none are one dimensional, and all have some degree of dignity. We can travel with them, and laugh with them, because this is a comedy more than anything. The wit is there. Everything is there. It's a joy ride. It isn't classic meaningful theater. It's a joy ride.

Surprisingly Fun and Creative Journey.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
2 May 2015

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012): Dir: Brad Peyton / Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Josh Hutcherson, Michael Caine, Luis Guzman, Vanessa Hudgens: Entertaining family adventure with a title that not only refers to the adventure at hand, but also the relationship between a teenage male and his potential step-father. Josh Hutcherson plays the kid who receives a code from his grandfather who has been missing after an adventure. He learns that his grandfather has located the mysterious island and he desires to join him. Reluctant, his potential step-father Henk, played by Dwayne Johnson joins him after reassuring his fiancé. Director Brad Peyton previously made the terrible Cats and Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore. Here he is backed with an extremely corny yet detailed screenplay splashing the imagination with miniature elephants, giant insects, and a volcano that will spew gold. They must leave the island before it becomes drown completely in water. The cast elevate the characters beyond cookie-cutter level. Johnson plays off the toughness with a desire to be accepted by Hutcherson. In turn Hutcherson gets injured when riding a giant bee in fleeing from a giant bird. Michael Caine plays the grandfather, big on ideas while amateur in family communication. Luis Guzman plays a pilot accepting the challenge of transporting Johnson and Hutcherson to this island. Vanessa Hudgens plays Guzman's daughter who ends up crawling into a tight hole. Theme regards family and adventure and it works for that audience with its creative visuals and the mysterious world it presents. Score: 9 / 10

Better than average

Author: SanteeFats from United States
30 November 2014

I found this to be an entertaining movie. The script was based on Jules Verne's writings. The cast was pretty good, especially with Vanessa Hudgins as the eye candy. The script was decent also. A disenfranchised son hooks up with his stepfather to go and find Mysterious Island from the Jules Verne books. The clues come from a radio signal that the son just happens to intercept from his grandfather. The grandfather is trapped on the island. So son and step dad depart for the island. Here they hook up with a helicopter pilot and his hot daughter. They head for the coordinates, run into a perpetual storm over the area, crash land on the island that they came to find. A few gigantic animals appear but nothing really threatening. Step dads Navy training leads to the discovery that the island will be sinking in a short time. Here is where I find it odd to say the least. The island has a cyclical rising and sinking sequence. If it sinks under the sea how does the island regenerate the flora and fauna every time it surfaces? Any way they manage to track down Nemo's Nautilus and while there are some tense moments they all escape. On the son's birthday grandad shows with a new adventure book, From the Earth to the Moon. Setting up a potential for another sequel.

Good Old-Fashioned Fun

Author: StuOz
24 July 2014

Josh Hutcherson and Michael Caine on an oddball island of giant insects and creatures.

I was not too big on Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (2008) so this film came as a nice surprise! The casting is a lot better this time around.

Journey 2 is an old-fashioned sci-fi movie that you can screen to kids and over-grown kids like myself.

These days most Hollywood epics like this are filled with four letter words, smart-ass characters, guns, blood, and a general cynical outlook on the world. Journey 2 is not like that.

Granted, Journey 2 is loaded with the usual CGI stuff we get these days, but 40something viewers like myself might be reminded of more harmless sci-fi days...days of 1960s Lost In Space for example.

Don't forget to hang around for the closing credits and the closing credit music is rather good.

Amazing 3D content, great adventure and family movie for teenagers

Author: rsr-14 from Denmark
30 October 2013

I guess the logic of this movie is quite similar to a Carl Barks Donald Duck adventure, so expect nothing more and nothing less :-)

This is a true 3D movie and should never be seen in 2D, especially the fly at 57 minutes is the best 3D pop-out I have seen in a normal movie - generally only IMAX movies seem to be able to provide such amazing 3D content, not even Hugo was better.

Although no Oscar will probably be given to the actors in this movie, they are indeed well-chosen for this sort of funny, early teenager, family-oriented adventure movie. To some degree this movie did remind me of early Spielberg Indy/Goonies-like adventures, and I enjoyed all the references to Jules Verne books.

So do see this movie if you want to experience amazing 3D content and great entertainment for any 10-year-old. To be frank, I am not sure I found the recent Jar-Jar Binks Star Wars movies better than this movie...