IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Not As Bad As I Thought

Author: dancermcm from United States
10 July 2013

My brother wanted to see this movie when it debuted in February 2012. I had no interest, because I thought it was going to be a kid's movie I would eventually watch and hate. I never did see it in the theaters, but when I was on a bus trip, it was one of the movies we had no choice but to watch. I didn't regret it. The good thing is that you don't have to see the first one (Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)) to understand this one. In fact, I still haven't seen the first movie to this day, and I have seen this movie many times. I know some may wonder why I waste my time with this movie, and the answer: Josh Hutcherson. Let's face it; he's hot. I don't really pay attention to the dialogue, but even I have to admit, it was a little less than mediocre. Michael Caine was OK, I was not real familiar with the pilot guy, Dwayne Johnson did as well as he could for a kid's movie, and Josh Hutcherson was pretty good. The only person I had a problem with was Vanessa Hudgens. I've never cared much for her, but she's not a great actress, and her character was dull, and kind of rude. To me, other than the small romance between her character and Josh Hutcherson's character, she was not needed. Overall, you either will like or hate this movie. I suggest watching it on TV before buying it (Cinemax and HBO have it on a LOT, so it wouldn't be hard to find. If I remember correctly, it was on this morning, and I was watching it). I can't say if you will or won't like it. That part is up to you.

CGI is nice, acting and plot not so much

Author: lpgal9000 from United States
9 December 2012

Ah sequels... usually not the best, but there are a select few that can handle it (Dark Knight, Toy Story etc). This movie is not one of those select few.

I did not see it in theaters and I am very glad I didn't. This would have been a waste of money. The characters are boring, Dwayne is not a good actor... he's not. The boy, I thought was alright, Vanessa Hudgens, when I saw her, I knew right away it wouldn't be a good movie. She's not a very good actress.

This movie will only be enjoyed if you have nothing else to do, extremely bored and there's nothing else to watch. The CGI in the film is beautiful I will admit, but it just does NOT go with the real people... it looks too fake. Honestly I think it would have more potential, but the acting, silly scenes, and fake CGI did not work. Dialogue is terrible too. If maybe the whole movie was in CGI it would have worked, and different voice overs, then maybe it would have been better.

I don't understand the need to skimpify Vanessa Hudgens for a kids film either... what were they thinking? I am also tired of the whole, girl hates boy at first, then loves him at the very end. Very unrealistic. Come on, movie was okay, i can watch it again... or half-watch it really. The only character that made it slightly amusing was the overly-dramatic-comic relief Vanessa's daddy.

A great tool for teachers

Author: sborrink from Seoul, South Korea
24 February 2015

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a great movie for families. Kids and adults alike will enjoy the action packed film while learning about some classical literature. The sequel to the 2008 movie Journey to the Center of the Earth, Journey 2 follows Sean Anderson on another adventure to find out if another one of Jules Verne's novels is based on fact, and not science fiction. We learn early on that there are people who believe that Jules Verne did in fact write stories from experience. These people are referred to as Vernians. When the movie starts, Sean has received a coded message from someone on a radio and he is determined to solve the code. We meet Sean's step-father, Hank, who, upon seeing the coded message, helps Sean to break the code. After a quick search through the attic, and two more classic novels, Hank and Sean discover what can only be the map of the Mysterious Island. Sean and Hank take off to Palau to find out if the island is in fact real, or if the message was just a hoax. In Palau they meet Gabato, a helicopter pilot and his daughter, Kailani.

Once in the air, the four travelers discover that there is something wrong with the helicopter and they land on the island, but can this barren place really be the Mysterious Island that Jules Verne wrote about? Butterflies the size of cars and elephants the size of puppies are just a couple of the exciting things that await the travelers on their adventure.

This movie is a great way to get kids to think about classic novels in a new light. Jules Verne is known world-wide as one of the best science fiction writers of the 17th century, but what few people know is that his books were actually meant for children. This movie can be used in conjunction with the book to give children a glimpse into the world of the Mysterious Island. It also encourages children to use their imaginations and see things in a different light.

Jules Verne just rolled over in his grave

Author: guavacraig
19 December 2013

Like if you're really drunk on a Saturday night and you want some mindless entertainment, well, this is still a stretch. Maybe if you're drunk on a Tuesday. As for the actors, ya gotta be concerned about your career when your acting role reached this. Unless you're The Rock - he was thinking Oscar all the way. I hope he at least got a Razzie - that would have been well deserved. I just hope nobody actually paid money to watch this. But on the other hand, amazingly, somehow I still wanted to watch it all the way through. Took me three tries to get through it but I finally did. I guess quality shows like this is why I pay big bucks for the premium channels.

fake giant creatures are back

Author: MLDinTN from TN
15 December 2012

This movie was OK, but the special effects were not the greatest. In this version, Sean intercepts a mysterious code he believes is from his grandfather, whom has disappeared. In an attempt to bond, his stepfather, Hank, agrees to go on a search for gramps. They decode the message and are on their way to a far off island in the Pacific. There they hire a helicopter to take them to the island, but it goes down and there adventure really begins. So, it's Hank, Sean, the pilot, and his daughter. They meet giant lizards, huge bees, big bugs, and find Gramps. They even discover the lost city of Atlantis, which just happens to be going under. So the final is them finding a way off the island, and they must use Nemo and a giant electric eel to do so.

FINAL VERDICT: More for kids.

What? This is not a Disney Movie?

Author: policy134 from Denmark
13 December 2012

Falls just short of being a really fun ride set against a story that may not be entirely original, but still seems somewhat fresh.

I liked the way the movie opened with a surly teen and his not so bad stepfather bonding over a piece of encoded message. It actually encourages some attention from the audience and not just being awed by some computer animated lizard, like we get to see later.

Then the movie slowly begins to come apart. First by introducing the comic relief character, played by the usually reliable Luis Guzman and his oh so sexy in a PG sort of way daughter, played by my least favorite actress, Vanessa Hudgens. For a moment I thought she was gonna show more, but then I remembered sadly that this is a family film. Just kidding. That wouldn't have made any difference.

Usually, when you go to see one of these films, you expect to be dazzled by the visual effects. Not so here. There isn't a single shot here that doesn't look fake. Yes, it's slick and vibrant but I actually thought that the James Mason version of Journey to the Center of Earth was much more exciting effects-wise, and that movie is from the 50s for c....sakes. The worst, the submarine bit.

As many have pointed out, this is a stand alone show, with only one character connecting this to its originator. Too bad. Dwayne Johnson is his most likable self, but Brendan Fraser is the absolute top dog when it comes to action-adventure. By the way, his upper arms look like a dinosaur's thighs. I was extremely freaked out.

Finding Nemo.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
17 November 2012

After deciphering a coded radio message revealing the precise whereabouts of Jules Verne's mythical Mysterious Island, Sean (Josh Hutcherson) and his stepfather Hank (Dwayne Johnson) embark on an incredible adventure into the unknown, with a little help from helicopter pilot Gabato (Luis Guzmán) and his delectable daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens).

OK, so it's terribly contrived and incredibly corny, but Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is still a lot of fun if you don't think about it too much, a wild adventure full of danger, thrills and fantastical creatures, both big and small—precisely the kind of film I loved when I was young (the Harryhausen version of Mysterious Island was a firm favourite of mine as a kid), and just the sort of thing I like watching with my own children (actually, I suspect I enjoyed this one more than they did, thanks to Hudgens in her fetching tight vest and shorts combo!).

With the endless action brought to life with top-notch CGI effects clearly intended to make the most of the latest 3D technology, I only wish I'd caught this one at the cinema for the full experience (Hudgens in 3D would have been worth the price of admission alone!).

Harmless, pleasantly distracting stuff.

Author: Ryan_MYeah
7 September 2012

Just caught up with this one on Blu-Ray, and while it's certainly not smart, it makes as an adequate guilty pleasure. Continuing after Journey to the Center of the Earth, Journey 2 sees Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) going on an adventure with his step-father Hank (Dwayne Johnson). Sean is searching for his grandfather (the exuberant Michael Caine), a Vernian who believes the tales of author Jules Verne to be based on truth rather than fantasy. Hitching a ride with a sleazy helicopter pilot and his daughter (Vanessa Hudgens as Sean's obligatory love interest), they set forth to find the legendary Mysterious Island, complete with big special effects, terrifying monsters, and in your face 3D.

From a screen writing perspective, this is not a good movie. The script, riddled with a textbook of clichés, exists merely to make an excuse for nifty effects in a string of prolonged action scenes, with the exception of breaks (what few there are) to develop character. Everyone of the cast looks like they're having a blast, but their characters are so thin as to be paper cut outs. It has no unique personality or food for thought, but, simple is the way to go with these kind of old-school adventure flicks.

Part of Journey 2's appeal is that it doesn't get brought down by an overly complicated script. It moves quickly, and the action is surprisingly really fun to watch. I also must give kudos to the effects guys. The 3D gimmicks get tiresome, and the effects are not always subtle and seamless, but a lot of effort was clearly made in creating this immense and fantastical world. Andrew Lockington also provides us with an exotic and thrilling score that features some of the most addicting and original musical themes I've heard in years.

You still have to turn your brain off to enjoy it, but it should be a pleasant diversion. It may not be very memorable, but I never got bored while watching it.

*** / *****

Fixed plot, average characters, binned CGI with 3D and crazy action

Author: TomTomH from United Kingdom
17 August 2012

Journey 2 The Mysterious Island is a moderately entertaining experience in some aspects that I think could have done better. It stars 'The Rock' (with his usual characterisation), John Hutcherson (more adventurous), Michael Caine (happy and jolly this time) Luis Guzman and Vannesa Hudgens. I praise the acting, plot and mythology but disappointed by the special effects, 3D sequences, direction and dialogue between some of the characters.

Let's start with the special effects, it's totally gimmicky. You can easily tell it's fake. The effect is much worse than 2010's 'Clash of the Titans', The Hulk from 2012's 'Avengers Assemble' and 2011's 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides'. It makes it look like they have re-used footage from old 'video games'. Same with the 3D effect (I never saw it in 3D). When you watch the visuals and 3D sequences on DVD you'd think "What the heck is wrong with these people? It should have gone right. Why didn't they do a better job?". A 3D sequence is suppose to be shown for 3 seconds. BUT in the middle of the film (This isn't a BIG spoiler to let you know before you carry on) you see a dragonfly fly and stop before the camera. It stays there in that position for maybe 10 secs and flies off (you'll see what I mean when you watch it). Even The Rock, Michael Caine and Luis Guzman's characters dialogues are too intensive to follow. I was also unimpressed over the film's journey.

Let's go positive now. The acting's just right but The Rock's always playing the same character: half-selfish, angry mode and negative about stuff. It get's annoying and tiring after a while. Michael Caine kind of plays the same character as he did in the third Austin Powers movie. I thought Luis Guzman was the perfect person to play his character (Gabato) but like I said about the intense characterisation.

You'll like it, not love it. I felt it wasn't as good as the first Journey. This is how light this film is: a street light.

Not the same movie as "Race to Witch Mountain"

Author: Jonny 99 from United States
18 July 2012

What are the odds Barry Bonds and Dwayne Johnson frequent the same lab? The enormous and enormously likable former wrestler has found, presumably, a lucrative niche in these older-children targeted light family entertainments. His winning personality, facial contortions and sheer physical size, bring a charm of sorts to often recycled fair such as "Journey 2". In this loose H.G. Wells adaptation, Johnson brings believability to the action sequences and a warmth to the more human sequences that overshadows some of the dullness of the script and cheesiness of the CGI. He can't, however, overcome some big misses such as the now-obligatory flexing of his pectoral muscles that in one scene goes on so long that it becomes Jerry Sandusky-creepy. Also, the script calls for some verbal sparing with Michael Caine that comes off as a little to vindictive for a children's film and feels a bit beneath Caine's screen gem status. In short, not a bad film although it will run together in your head with other recent Johnson outings such as "Race to Witch Mountain", "Tooth Fairy" and "The Game Plan."