IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 6 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

You are well advised to watch this movie

Author: david suazo
6 July 2012

This movie is proper for all ages. Although the plot is redundant, whereas it is somehow different.The most imperative and considerable feature is that the child's stepfather and grandfather know many things which can convince your children to understand that you know more than them. Other thing is that this film is very exciting and displays great nature and new ideas. There's no unsuitable scenes in this movie which makes it special. I recommend you to watch this movie with your children and love it. It isn't the best movie but i myself really liked it.Actually it has good actors playing their roles in the best way.I hope you like this movie.

Author: Ketan Gupta from India
4 July 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island The Opening Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was a nice fantasy –adventure which was weak on the merits but high on CGI and visual effects The Story Sean is an adventurous person who is keen to search his grandfather , who is believed to have lost in a mysterious mythical island. In process , Sean partners his stepfather Hank ( Rock) to accompany him to the island and find his missing grandfather. The Review Sequel to "Journey to the center of the earth" , Journey 2 provides more chills and thrills and keeps you on your toes. It is the superb CGI which is a visual treat for the animation lovers. Direction is decent by Brian Peyton along with just-about-OK screenplay. Story is good along with fantastic set and graphics. The movie should be viewed in 3D which will be more enjoyable. As I mentioned before , visual effects are mindblowing. I am a big fan fantasy film and this is no different. Performances are in par with the film with The Rock leading the pack. The Bottomline A nice family watch and impressive CGI and thorough entertainment. This one is sure to be enjoyed with your family. Good 3.5 /5

Imagination Come to Life

Author: dannakrischke from United States
1 July 2012

Sean (Josh Hutcherson, the only returning original cast member) reappears as a rebellious, book-loving teenager who is trying to put together clues to find The Mysterious Island, where he believes his grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine) is stranded. Initially resistant to his new stepfather, Sean reluctantly agrees to let Hank (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson), a former Navy code-breaker, assist in deciphering the signal that ultimately leads them to the coordinates of the island. Hank desperately trying to form a relationship with his new stepson, takes Sean to Palau where they meet up with Gabato (Luis Guzman, who plays a comic-relief helicopter pilot) and his beautiful daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens). Hank shares his strong motivation for developing his relationship with Sean, when he speaks of his own "bad dad" experience. "My father left when I was eight and I haven't seen him since," Hank later tells his new stepson, which becomes the turning point in their relationship.

In flight to the destination's coordinates, the helicopter loses control and is sucked into a major hurricane. After a terrifying ride, the storm leads them right to an island with gigantic lizards, tiny elephants, and gold-filled volcanoes. In search of a way off of the island, they discover many great artifacts and create a bond with each other like no other. They eventually find their way off the island by way of the sunken submarine, which they find by reading the chapters in Verne's eccentric story. This makes a great opportunity to reinforce reading to your kids.

Examples like the giant insects and a submarine that has been under water for a hundred years that starts with just the push of a button, makes the plot of the film appear somewhat frivolous and child-like. In watching this movie, you must remember that this is a PG rated film, with the primary audience intended to be children and families with children. I loved that in watching this movie over and over again with my kids, we discovered something new each time that we had missed in the previous viewing. Each time was like going to the enchanted island yourself as it draws you in to the storyline, joining the characters in their adventure. As Daniel Eagan states in his review, "If you want to fault Journey 2 for being too far-fetched, Verne's novel had just as much balderdash. Both film and book move quickly and slyly enough to skim over mere logic." This reminds us that yes the plot is crazy, but that it was the original intention of Verne, the author of the book the movie is based on. This movie brings his imagination to life with excitement and fantasy.

Director, Brad Peyton (Cats & Dogs 2, Evelyn: The Cutest Evil Dead Girl), creates a beautiful visual experience of tropical plants and waterfalls. Even though it is very obvious that the majority of the film is shot in front of a green-screen, it does manage to give us amazing graphics and cinematography with vibrant colors and quirky special effects. I'm not going to lie when I say the entire movie was a little bit over the top, and a tad hokey. With its computer generated overgrown lizards and ants, and tiny elephants you can pick up and carry, it forces one to use their child-like imaginations and try to forget what we know to be "real" and "make-believe". If you are a fan of special effects, this movie although fun to watch, was definitely no Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which is up for an Oscar nomination this year. Is this another Avatar? Not by any stretch of the imagination was this movie intended to win any major awards that much is clear. However when they all board giant flying bees, we are able to see just how much work went into generating the computer animation, and how they used it in such a fun, imaginative way.

The silliness of the storyline would have been a little too much to handle, if the actors didn't manage to ground it. As is written in Wikipedia's review, "It isn't a good movie in the usual sense (or most senses), but it is jolly and good-natured, and Michael Caine and Dwayne Johnson are among the most likable of actors." Johnson and Caine add a great dynamic to the film as the dueling father figures in Hutcherson's life. Their rivalry-based banter carries the film, and adds a dynamic camaraderie between relatives, that most families can relate to.

I think overall this film is a wonderful blend of comedy, adventure, and fantasy. Recently released into Redbox for just a $1.50, I think everyone should at least give it a try. Whether you have kids or not, this is a fun, carefree film that will make you smile at the end of a hard day. You will find yourself anxiously waiting for the release of Journey 3 From the Earth to the Moon, coming to theaters 2014. If you do have kids, be prepared to just purchase the DVD. This is one of those films they will watch on a hundred different occasions and love it every time!

Good not great family movie...worth a watch!

Author: ford_guy20042000 from THE COLONY, TX
7 June 2012

OK, before I even get into the movie...it is an adventure/fantasy movie that has The Rock in it. That speaks volumes about it right there. If you are looking for realism here you are barking up the wrong tree.

First, what makes the movie.

It has a fair amount of visual effects. The CGI was OK. And Michael Caine is a joy to watch in any movie. It's a good family friendly movie to sit down and watch with your kids. It is one of those things you just have to take it for what it is. If you let yourself enjoy then you will.

Now, what it lacks in. Totally unbelievable and ridiculous characters. In the first few minutes of the film you will see where it loses all credibility. Without divulging any spoilers...I just don't think The Rock is THAT bright. The CGI...like I said before it is OK...and it varies drastically. Some of it is wonderful. Some of it looks rushed and hurried. It just seems odd that there can be such a gap in between quality of CGI.

The worst thing about it...is the absolute and complete lack of chemistry between any of the main characters. I felt no emotional connection...no bond...nothing. I would have liked to have seen at least some chemistry somewhere, but by the end of the movie I still felt like they were all complete strangers that happened to go on a journey together. If they could have built the relationships up a bit...this would have been a much better movie.

Luis Guzman played Vanessa Hudgens Father, the pilot to the Mysterious Island and the comedic relief. I felt his part was overplayed. He was too comedic, too clownish to ever procreate with someone to make the likes of the lovely Vanessa Hudgens.

Vanessa, plays the love interest of our hero Sean, played by the young Josh Hutcherson. Like I said previously there is not a bit of chemistry between them...besides being a vague love interest she serves no purpose that furthers the film. She is a pretty girl and if her shorts got much lower they would have had to up the rating a few steps. Watching her made me feel old.

Josh Hutcherson did what he could with the dialog he had to work with. And it was obvious that he had a much better connection and work experience with Brandon Fraser on the first Journey movie.

The Rock...aside from talented pectoral muscles his acting was muted. His action scenes were too, but I fault the director for not providing him with any. On a positive note...who knew he had such a lovely singing voice? Michael Caine and The Rock had the best dialog together by far. And it is interesting to watch Mr. Caine in most anything. Even this. However they could have done so much more with him.

Kids won't realize that this is a fair to poor movie. Adults will feel a little jilted, especially if you dropped $6.99 on it like we did through pay-per-view.

It is what it is. If the writing had been there, and the direction... (I mean come on this is the same guy who did Cats & Dogs the Revenge of Kitty Galore.)...then it could have been something.

Grab your kids, a bowl of popcorn, and enjoy while Hollywood eviscerates a classic Jules Verne story.

Fun Fantasy!

Author: cstasiak0834 from Ionia, Mi USA
29 December 2012

I found this movie to be quite cute! Being a fan of the Rock, he never fails to surprise me. The story line is fun and engaging by enlisting the book titles for Jules Verne. The special effects are very well done and deliver a wonderful visual marriage of the real and the imagined. There are some weak points, but what movie doesn't have them. I felt the speed of the movie was just about perfect for the young audience. The ending left the viewer wanting more. I think the older child, 10 and up, would find this a fun and exciting adventure. If it encouraged a young one to read the classic books it would be an extra bonus. I do so hope they do another movie about another adventure.

" Is Anyone ready for an Adventure? "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
9 December 2012

Jules Verne wrote several notable novels in his time. I truly believe he would have been astonished by what modern movie magic has done to his work. With director Brad Payton at the helm, the core book is now the movie called " The Mysterious Island: The Journey. " Obstencibly written by Verne, it's been adapted by Brian and Mark Gunn for the silver screen. The film is one beautiful and wondrous adaption of the book and becomes an extraordinary college of excitement. The story begins with the Grandson (Josh Hutcherson) who discovers a mysterious code left for him by his Grandfather (Michael Caine). Now with the help of his Step-Father (Dwayne Johnson) they decide to travel to the Pacfic Ocean and seek out the fantastic island. Along the way they enlist the aid of a helicopter pilot (Luis Guzmán) and his daughter (Vanessa Hudgens). From beginning to end, the film is a fast-paced, action-oriented, fantasy adventure. The movie is well worth the time and the cast is a wonderful. I easily recommend it to one and all. ****

So ridiculous you just can't take it seriously

Author: Rob Taylor (Rob_Taylor) from London
9 July 2012

Oh, I know. That's the whole point. It's not meant to be taken seriously. But really? Journey 2 goes out of its way to be so far beyond ridiculous that it is, at times, painful to watch.

Yeah, little kids will love it. Adults will hate it. I guess I must be (mentally, at least) somewhere in the middle, but since I couldn't stop laughing at the stupid, it is difficult to tell.

Usually when I watch a kid's film, I'm mostly interested in whether it is actually suitable for kids or not. In this case , as I said above, little kids will find it bright and entertaining.

Slightly older kids I'm not so sure. I don't think there is anything remotely like common sense anywhere in the plot and smart kids will see through it like last night's fish and chip's wrapper.

There are questionable scenes (enjoyable for an adult!) of Vanessa Hudgens butt (mostly covered) which I wasn't sure about. Nothing nasty, but just a few too many lingering bum-shots. Maybe they gave the cameraman carte-blanche, who knows? It's really not a very good film and the wackiness is, at times, overwhelming, hence why I laughed a lot - not at the intended jokes, but the stupidity of it all. But it was pleasant laughter, all the same, just not what the writer and director had imagined, I'm sure.

It's all kinds of stupid and you will be glad when its over, trust me. But for small kids its a passable diversion, I guess.

The one section that comes across far nastier than it was intended, I'm sure, were the initial scenes between The Rock and Michael Cain. There is some really unpleasant dialogue between the two as the rivalry for the step-sons affections takes hold. I mean a real bitter undercurrent between them. You actually begin to hate Caine's character for his snide comments.

They make up in the end, of course, and all is well. But for those opening scenes. Ouch! All in all though, not really worth the effort.

8/10 for the Journey 2 :D

Author: Haley Henslee from United States
23 June 2012

If I'm to be totally honest about this movie, I liked it. Definitely the kind of thing I would have watched when I was younger. The thing I did NOT like though, was how fast the beginning was, and how they all of a sudden knew exactly what to do next, or what this means, or what this is. Such as, when Sean (Josh Hutcherson) knew exactly what the riddles meant, and exactly where the books would be in the beginning, and also when he knew the name of the birds that were chasing them on the bees. I understand that he's supposed to be playing a "straight A" student who's a science goof, but come on. Overall, though, I enjoyed it. The visual effects were very cool. Also, I really enjoyed seeing The Rock popping his pecks. At that point I nearly died (death by laughter ;D). 8/10 from me :)

The title sums up how bad this movie is

Author: rickystickyman from Pan-dimensional
23 June 2012

The first time I read the title of this movie while it was in development I laughed and cried at the same time. The first movie was called "Journey to the center of the earth" which is directly the title of the book. But this movie is called "Journey 2 the mysterious island" which is based off of the book "Mysterious Island"... this is too funny. That means we are now pretending that the first movie was really "Journey: to the center of the earth" and this movie should be "Journey 2: the mysterious island" but they never fixed that problem so it just looks sloppy. (note that some places say "Journey 2: the mysterious island" and automatically corrected that grammar problem)

Journey 2 has a lot of problems in it, but you probably would've guessed what the problems were from the first time you watched the trailer. The Rock is in this movie, replacing Fraser which is a little bit annoying since Fraser is a much more enjoyable character and actor. You can tell from this movie that it is going to be heavily family oriented with little creativity or originality. This movie was just made to be an easy cash-grab and that's it. The Rock doesn't do anything overly original in this movie and there is a joke about his pecs and deflecting fruit which was honestly rather stupid and kind of annoying. Really he is dull. Luis Guzmán was entirely a comedy relief in this movie and was entirely stereotypical... which was rather disappointing. I don't blame him so much, it's more of his script that sucks.

But there are two actors here which I can respect a little bit more ion this movie: Michael Caine and Josh Hutcherdad. Josh Hutchernephew actually attempts to do a good job at acting in this movie, and I actually kind of enjoyed some of his dialogue. Michael Caine wasn't over the top in this movie, but he didn't do a bad job. If there was a problem I had with Josh Hutcherdaughter it wasn't his acting but it was his dialogue. In the movie Josh Hutchergreatgrandpa has the whole "I'm a super intelligent, self efficient teenager who says stuff that sounds smart but actually makes no sense". It bothers me when you're in a movie and you understand their "smart" dialogue but you can tell it makes no sense. If you have the time to pretend that something far fetched could happen, at least try and make a reasonable explanation.

Visual is another issue this movie has. The visuals... are repulsive and awful. There is an entire lack of creativity for the whole mysterious island scenario which is probably one of the biggest problems this film has. If a family movie is all about the visual experience then at least put some work into them. All of the animals/monsters in this movie are about as dull as it gets. I'm not even joking here, no effort at all went into making the animals. On the mysterious island all of the animal sizes are reversed: Elephants are punt sized and lizards are giant behemoths. Now even I could've taken some creative liberties with this one, but this movie takes no creativity. Animal sizes are reversed... but with no visual changes. Basically a tiny elephant looks identical to a large elephant, and large Bees look identical to tiny bees except for size. This makes me even more mad than the actors and the entire scenario. The makers could've at least made the animals look a bit visually different than their normal counterparts since they evolved bigger wouldn't that mean that they should've changed even slightly? Oh yeah and the CGI is probably at least 6 years out of date which also adds to the visuals being dull in appearance and in creativity. At least the first movie had some creativity which makes me wonder why this movie couldn't have been as creative as the last.

The plot isn't interesting, basically it throws in every plot device from the book into the movie such as Atlantis, the Nautilus, captain Nemo and other stuff like that. Not terrible but not intriguing. Of course there is a love interest for Josh Hutchermom but nobody really cares about it because it seemed forced.

In summary: this movie may be good for younger audiences but it has nothing to offer for any movie-goer. Personally, I think all sequels need to be watched just so that you know for a fact whether it was good or not. I rarely avoid bad sequels because I will always have that feeling that I missed a part of what the creators wanted me to see. So if you have seen the first, you might as well watch this movie.

Good plot, special effects, action, but my god.. the dialog

Author: poqbum from United States
25 May 2012

Could have been a great movie, but the writers for this movie are absolutely horrid. There is suppose to be some sort of witty banter going on between characters, and it's just painful to watch.

An absolute waste of time. If you have kids, they will probably still enjoy it, and you may even be able to stand watching it for the entire movie if you know you're doing it for the kids. Unfortunately I watched this without kids, so I didn't get any sort of meaningful pleasure out of this torture.

I regret watching this movie, and wish I never did. Please for the good of all humanity, I hope whoever wrote the scripts for this movie to never write again.