IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 5 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Movies Don't Get Much Worse.

Author: Richard Reilly (FFman@comcast.net) from Colorado
16 February 2012

We have our first contender for "Worst Movie of the Year." I doubt it will get the title, but it'll be close. Journey 2 lacks every element of film-making. The acting is dreadful. The storyline is flat and linear. The special effects are extremely bad. Everything about this movie is forced. There are times where the actors look just as lost and staged as the script they are trying to bring to life.

The movie starts off with Josh Hutcherson running from the police. The unlikely chase scene sets the stage for the entire movie. Every character is stuffed into a stereotypical roll. Relationships between the characters are undeveloped and horribly forced. Character development is stated and never shown. By the end of the movie, I was hoping for the demise of each character.

I need to spend time on two rants. The first belongs to Luis Guzman. What the Hell? He obviously was playing a down-on-his luck dumber-than- most role. Guzman fails on all levels. Once you get halfway through the movie, you'll start to wonder if he's supposed to be dumb or if he actually suffers from mental retardation. This isn't acting. It's laziness. Part of me thinks that Guzman was forced into this role because of a contract and decided to make it as horrible as possible.

Rant number two belongs to Vanessa Hudgens and Director Brad Peyton. When you portray a young girl in a movie directed at preteens, it is best to avoid being sexist. Having the only girl in the movie parade around in a tight, extremely low cut shirt that reveals her midriff is not okay for a young audience. Add in short-shorts, the fact that she's drenching in sweat half the movie, and several close-ups of inappropriate angels (including one camel toe angle) is disgusting. Is this movie supposed to entertain kids or help train little girls on how to be sluts? Brad Peyton should not be doing children's movies if this is going to be what he produces. As for the young actress who is trying to rebuild he reputation after having naked pictures leaked all across the internet: What the Hell were you thinking?

This is no reason to see this movie. There are no redeeming characteristics that hold this movie up. From the chest pop to The Rock's singing scene, I couldn't help but squirm. This movie is directed towards the younger crowd, I know. But that doesn't mean you have to dumb down the movie. Didn't Shrek teach us that a children's film could also be enjoyable for adults? This movie needs to burn in the shadowy corners of the Underworld. Oh, and the promise of another sequel makes me contemplate suicide.

reillyreviews.tumblr.com

Prime example of an 8/10 film

Author: drystyx from United States
1 July 2015

This is what it is, and for those few who don't know, that means it's high sci-fi adventure with plenty of thrills and great, likable, credible characters in an incredible situation on an island of giant creatures whose means of escape rely on the boat of the ill fated fictional Captain Nemo.

This lives up to everything, mostly because of the comedy and the characters. Done much like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in the style of unbelievable adventure, it never fails to show us what a film is supposed to be.

As I stated before, many films try this, but fail to be good films because they try too hard to shove hate down our throats, which unless one is a great writer, results in one dimensional characters.

Here, we have some crazy characters, but none are one dimensional, and all have some degree of dignity. We can travel with them, and laugh with them, because this is a comedy more than anything. The wit is there. Everything is there. It's a joy ride. It isn't classic meaningful theater. It's a joy ride.

Surprisingly Fun and Creative Journey.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
2 May 2015

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012): Dir: Brad Peyton / Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Josh Hutcherson, Michael Caine, Luis Guzman, Vanessa Hudgens: Entertaining family adventure with a title that not only refers to the adventure at hand, but also the relationship between a teenage male and his potential step-father. Josh Hutcherson plays the kid who receives a code from his grandfather who has been missing after an adventure. He learns that his grandfather has located the mysterious island and he desires to join him. Reluctant, his potential step-father Henk, played by Dwayne Johnson joins him after reassuring his fiancé. Director Brad Peyton previously made the terrible Cats and Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore. Here he is backed with an extremely corny yet detailed screenplay splashing the imagination with miniature elephants, giant insects, and a volcano that will spew gold. They must leave the island before it becomes drown completely in water. The cast elevate the characters beyond cookie-cutter level. Johnson plays off the toughness with a desire to be accepted by Hutcherson. In turn Hutcherson gets injured when riding a giant bee in fleeing from a giant bird. Michael Caine plays the grandfather, big on ideas while amateur in family communication. Luis Guzman plays a pilot accepting the challenge of transporting Johnson and Hutcherson to this island. Vanessa Hudgens plays Guzman's daughter who ends up crawling into a tight hole. Theme regards family and adventure and it works for that audience with its creative visuals and the mysterious world it presents. Score: 9 / 10

Very disappointing, blatantly objectifying Vanessa Hudgens' character, skip it

Author: pkes_104
22 April 2015

I was very disappointed. It seemed like it would be a good film for the whole family to enjoy for movie, but it was not. Within the first 15 minutes or so we are introduced to Vanessa Hudgens' character. You can tell that the main character really thinks that she is a good looking just by dialogue alone, and then they needlessly pan down to her chest.

Why does this always happen to the female lead in action movies (ex Star Trek, GI Joe)? Always the damsel in distress, and the object of "affection" of the main male lead. The theme keeps going throughout the whole movie.

Very disappointing, defiantly a skip for young audiences, male or female.

Better than average

Author: SanteeFats from United States
30 November 2014

I found this to be an entertaining movie. The script was based on Jules Verne's writings. The cast was pretty good, especially with Vanessa Hudgins as the eye candy. The script was decent also. A disenfranchised son hooks up with his stepfather to go and find Mysterious Island from the Jules Verne books. The clues come from a radio signal that the son just happens to intercept from his grandfather. The grandfather is trapped on the island. So son and step dad depart for the island. Here they hook up with a helicopter pilot and his hot daughter. They head for the coordinates, run into a perpetual storm over the area, crash land on the island that they came to find. A few gigantic animals appear but nothing really threatening. Step dads Navy training leads to the discovery that the island will be sinking in a short time. Here is where I find it odd to say the least. The island has a cyclical rising and sinking sequence. If it sinks under the sea how does the island regenerate the flora and fauna every time it surfaces? Any way they manage to track down Nemo's Nautilus and while there are some tense moments they all escape. On the son's birthday grandad shows with a new adventure book, From the Earth to the Moon. Setting up a potential for another sequel.

Good Old-Fashioned Fun

Author: StuOz
24 July 2014

Josh Hutcherson and Michael Caine on an oddball island of giant insects and creatures.

I was not too big on Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (2008) so this film came as a nice surprise! The casting is a lot better this time around.

Journey 2 is an old-fashioned sci-fi movie that you can screen to kids and over-grown kids like myself.

These days most Hollywood epics like this are filled with four letter words, smart-ass characters, guns, blood, and a general cynical outlook on the world. Journey 2 is not like that.

Granted, Journey 2 is loaded with the usual CGI stuff we get these days, but 40something viewers like myself might be reminded of more harmless sci-fi days...days of 1960s Lost In Space for example.

Don't forget to hang around for the closing credits and the closing credit music is rather good.

Amazing 3D content, great adventure and family movie for teenagers

Author: rsr-14 from Denmark
30 October 2013

I guess the logic of this movie is quite similar to a Carl Barks Donald Duck adventure, so expect nothing more and nothing less :-)

This is a true 3D movie and should never be seen in 2D, especially the fly at 57 minutes is the best 3D pop-out I have seen in a normal movie - generally only IMAX movies seem to be able to provide such amazing 3D content, not even Hugo was better.

Although no Oscar will probably be given to the actors in this movie, they are indeed well-chosen for this sort of funny, early teenager, family-oriented adventure movie. To some degree this movie did remind me of early Spielberg Indy/Goonies-like adventures, and I enjoyed all the references to Jules Verne books.

So do see this movie if you want to experience amazing 3D content and great entertainment for any 10-year-old. To be frank, I am not sure I found the recent Jar-Jar Binks Star Wars movies better than this movie...

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Author: Tshoba Mwalaba from United Kingdom
24 August 2013

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a film retrieved from an original movie called "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" which was first published in Swedish in 1956 staring Pat Boon, James Mason and Arlen Dahl; it was later translated in English. In 2008 Journey to the centre of the earth starring Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson and Anita Briem was reproduced by an American Director Eric Brevig

The reproduction of Journey to the centre of the earth in 2008 inspired directors and film producers to reproduce a further version of the film leading to an accomplishment of the movie Journey 2: The mysterious Island which starred a well accomplished actors Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine and a former actor from Journey to the centre of the earth Josh Hutcherson. (Sean)

A coded signal was received by Sean Anderson (17 years of age), with the help of his step father Hanks enabled him to uncover the massage behind the signal. It was discovered from the code that Sean's grandfather (Alexander Anderson) already located the mysterious Island which was based in the Pacific as illustrated by Jules Verne and two other writers in their novels. For the passion that Sean has for the Island, he stubbornly decided to travel to the coordinates, with the love and protection that Hank have over his step son decided to travel along with him, buying two tickets for both of them.

They rent an old helicopter owned by the locals Gabato and his teenage daughter Kalian and the group heads to the unknown spot; along their journey, they hit the stoma and crash into the island. They find a beautiful and dangerous place, surrounded by forests, volcanoes with lava of gold and magnificent life forms. There they meet the old Alexander and Hank discovers that the Island is sinking and their only chance to survive is to find the legendary Nautilus

Earlier in the movie, Hank and Sean did not have that father and son connection, fortunately for the Island; it has helped build their bond while Hank was helping his step son (Sean) break the sound code to fully reveal the secrets behind the Island. This evidence originates in novel written by Robert Lewis Robison. Like every other teenage boy, Sean as a character who is very stubborn towards his parents also the only former character in the previous film, is very enthusiastic; always searching for new adventures and is willing to travel around the world to witness new things.

Hank as every other father in the majority of films is a strict parent, regardless of his looks, which is handsome, his personality mainly given to the audience as funny, like every other human with high ego believing he knows everything about women, with his past 3 years of experience in the navy learning on how to break sounds codes, it has given him an advantage on their journey to the mysterious Island.

Unlike Hank and Sean, Gabato, a low class character with high passion for money, with mind' eye of accomplishing his daughter's dreams which simply was helping her get into college; he basically worships money and is willing to appreciate any advice from someone intelligent and richer than him. His role was pretty amusing as he can act as a baby and can easily get frightened.

Kalian unlike his father is not only a well-mannered young lady, but also intelligent and beautiful, she not only physically attractive in which young male audience will find erotic but also take more of a parent role towards his father in certain situations. She continuously wants the best for her father and herself. She obviously is brighter than her father and always wants the best from his father's clients but she can be unpleasant towards the clients when she is aggravated.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a well-designed film which falls into a perfect category of all audience, young, middle age and old. In this case Alexander, who falls perfectly in the older audiences, has similar characteristic as Hank and Sean but in his case his is more humorous, always finding new adventures and never setting at one place.

The Island is not only equisetic but also very dangerous, containing volcano mountain full of gold which obviously Gabato remarkably adores and animals which are larger than normal size, which was an advantage and disadvantage for the characters. Larger flowers and trees with brighter colours than normal, it is basically amazing. With insects, animals, birds and flies making the Island conspicuous. At night, the Island lights up with birds and sea lights making is look well-polished. The majority of the action takes place in the Island where Hank, Sean, Kaliani and Gabato meet Alexander (Sean's grandfather). From that point, the film gets interesting and exciting showing the mysterious of the Island.

It is astonishing how the directors and producers managed to put such special effects on the film making it remarkable. The way the story is presented to the audience is astonishing, and easily understandable. Hank and Alexander are two comical characters which was a perfect combination to the film however; they did not shadow the rest of the characters.

However a disadvantage on the film is that it's more of a fiction. Lowering its realistic to the audience indicates that it was only just a story; on the other hand overall the film is miraculous.

Not As Bad As I Thought

Author: dancermcm from United States
10 July 2013

My brother wanted to see this movie when it debuted in February 2012. I had no interest, because I thought it was going to be a kid's movie I would eventually watch and hate. I never did see it in the theaters, but when I was on a bus trip, it was one of the movies we had no choice but to watch. I didn't regret it. The good thing is that you don't have to see the first one (Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)) to understand this one. In fact, I still haven't seen the first movie to this day, and I have seen this movie many times. I know some may wonder why I waste my time with this movie, and the answer: Josh Hutcherson. Let's face it; he's hot. I don't really pay attention to the dialogue, but even I have to admit, it was a little less than mediocre. Michael Caine was OK, I was not real familiar with the pilot guy, Dwayne Johnson did as well as he could for a kid's movie, and Josh Hutcherson was pretty good. The only person I had a problem with was Vanessa Hudgens. I've never cared much for her, but she's not a great actress, and her character was dull, and kind of rude. To me, other than the small romance between her character and Josh Hutcherson's character, she was not needed. Overall, you either will like or hate this movie. I suggest watching it on TV before buying it (Cinemax and HBO have it on a LOT, so it wouldn't be hard to find. If I remember correctly, it was on this morning, and I was watching it). I can't say if you will or won't like it. That part is up to you.

CGI is nice, acting and plot not so much

Author: lpgal9000 from United States
9 December 2012

Ah sequels... usually not the best, but there are a select few that can handle it (Dark Knight, Toy Story etc). This movie is not one of those select few.

I did not see it in theaters and I am very glad I didn't. This would have been a waste of money. The characters are boring, Dwayne is not a good actor... he's not. The boy, I thought was alright, Vanessa Hudgens, when I saw her, I knew right away it wouldn't be a good movie. She's not a very good actress.

This movie will only be enjoyed if you have nothing else to do, extremely bored and there's nothing else to watch. The CGI in the film is beautiful I will admit, but it just does NOT go with the real people... it looks too fake. Honestly I think it would have more potential, but the acting, silly scenes, and fake CGI did not work. Dialogue is terrible too. If maybe the whole movie was in CGI it would have worked, and different voice overs, then maybe it would have been better.

I don't understand the need to skimpify Vanessa Hudgens for a kids film either... what were they thinking? I am also tired of the whole, girl hates boy at first, then loves him at the very end. Very unrealistic. Come on, movie was okay, i can watch it again... or half-watch it really. The only character that made it slightly amusing was the overly-dramatic-comic relief Vanessa's daddy.

OVERALL - GOOD FOR KIDS