IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

the only mystery is why they made it

Author: dunfincin from Spain
19 July 2012

I remember reading all of the Jules Verne books went I was a young teenager. Mind stretching, suspenseful and an utter delight. These books should be compulsory reading for all youngsters with a brain and some imagination but I suppose these days you would be happy enough to settle for a decent film of any of the books . This is not a decent film, in fact it's awful. A low calibre cast including the facially inert Rock, a nondescript Mexican who mugs his way through the film horribly and the usual teenage romance interest between the leading "actor" and a young girl otherwise completely superfluous to the story line. A wheezing, over acted and almost embarrassing pseudo cameo from Michael Caine and that's about it.(Oh Michael,surely you must have made enough money by now) A lot of CGI of course to cover up the lame acting, schoolboy script and fatuous dialogue. A complete failure on every level. A travesty in fact. I can't imagine any young teenager watching this film and having his or her imagination fired up to the extent that they couldn't wait to read the entire Verne collection which is a great shame.

Better than average

Author: SanteeFats from United States
30 November 2014

I found this to be an entertaining movie. The script was based on Jules Verne's writings. The cast was pretty good, especially with Vanessa Hudgins as the eye candy. The script was decent also. A disenfranchised son hooks up with his stepfather to go and find Mysterious Island from the Jules Verne books. The clues come from a radio signal that the son just happens to intercept from his grandfather. The grandfather is trapped on the island. So son and step dad depart for the island. Here they hook up with a helicopter pilot and his hot daughter. They head for the coordinates, run into a perpetual storm over the area, crash land on the island that they came to find. A few gigantic animals appear but nothing really threatening. Step dads Navy training leads to the discovery that the island will be sinking in a short time. Here is where I find it odd to say the least. The island has a cyclical rising and sinking sequence. If it sinks under the sea how does the island regenerate the flora and fauna every time it surfaces? Any way they manage to track down Nemo's Nautilus and while there are some tense moments they all escape. On the son's birthday grandad shows with a new adventure book, From the Earth to the Moon. Setting up a potential for another sequel.

Good Old-Fashioned Fun

Author: StuOz
24 July 2014

Josh Hutcherson and Michael Caine on an oddball island of giant insects and creatures.

I was not too big on Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (2008) so this film came as a nice surprise! The casting is a lot better this time around.

Journey 2 is an old-fashioned sci-fi movie that you can screen to kids and over-grown kids like myself.

These days most Hollywood epics like this are filled with four letter words, smart-ass characters, guns, blood, and a general cynical outlook on the world. Journey 2 is not like that.

Granted, Journey 2 is loaded with the usual CGI stuff we get these days, but 40something viewers like myself might be reminded of more harmless sci-fi days...days of 1960s Lost In Space for example.

Don't forget to hang around for the closing credits and the closing credit music is rather good.

Harmless, brainless entertainment my kids liked

Author: RolloTomasi from The left coast (of Michigan)
9 February 2014

Is saying my 6-year old daughters raved about this movie after seeing it a good thing? They thought it was scary at times but in a fun way. "Sometimes scary is fun" to quote the oldest. It's often silly but not stupid. It doesn't take itself seriously at all (like say, the last Dwayne Johnson movie I saw did, Fast and Furious 6). This movie aims low and ends up hitting its mark (FF6 on the other hand aims somewhat high and misses badly).

I recommend seeing 20000 Leagues Under the Sea (the excellent 1954 near-musical Kirk Douglas version) before seeing this. We saw it last year before I had any intention of seeing "Journey 2" but after "Journey 2" was released. That's all I'll say about that because to say more might be considered a spoiler.

So that's my review. It's better than the last Fast and Furious movie and 6-year-olds love it. Take from that what you will.

A quite nice family movie

Author: p-jonsson from France
27 December 2013

This movie is presented as a sequel to a Journey to the Center of the Earth. The connection to the previous movie is rather loose though. It is also rather loosely connected to Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. I was not very pleased with the Journey to the Center of the Earth remake from 2008. This one I found to be a quite nice family movie. We got it because my youngest son put it on his Christmas wish list and yesterday the entire family watched it. That was the first time for me but the second time for my son.

The movie is a nice mix of humour, adventure and action. It does not pretend to be anything else than a entertaining family movie and in that it succeeds quite well. We watched it in 2D since we do not have 3D equipment (and I feel no real urge to get 3D either) and, even though there where scenes that where clearly made for showing of 3D effects, they where not as intrusive as in the prequel. The movie was quite enjoyable also in 2D.

Special effects where acceptable for a family movie and the scenery was not at all bad. Dwayne Johnson will not win an Oscar but the acting was good enough. Sure, there were some silly parts but on the hole the movie was quite enjoyable.

As I wrote, a quite nice family movie.

Jules Verne just rolled over in his grave

Author: guavacraig
19 December 2013

Like if you're really drunk on a Saturday night and you want some mindless entertainment, well, this is still a stretch. Maybe if you're drunk on a Tuesday. As for the actors, ya gotta be concerned about your career when your acting role reached this. Unless you're The Rock - he was thinking Oscar all the way. I hope he at least got a Razzie - that would have been well deserved. I just hope nobody actually paid money to watch this. But on the other hand, amazingly, somehow I still wanted to watch it all the way through. Took me three tries to get through it but I finally did. I guess quality shows like this is why I pay big bucks for the premium channels.

Amazing 3D content, great adventure and family movie for teenagers

Author: rsr-14 from Denmark
30 October 2013

I guess the logic of this movie is quite similar to a Carl Barks Donald Duck adventure, so expect nothing more and nothing less :-)

This is a true 3D movie and should never be seen in 2D, especially the fly at 57 minutes is the best 3D pop-out I have seen in a normal movie - generally only IMAX movies seem to be able to provide such amazing 3D content, not even Hugo was better.

Although no Oscar will probably be given to the actors in this movie, they are indeed well-chosen for this sort of funny, early teenager, family-oriented adventure movie. To some degree this movie did remind me of early Spielberg Indy/Goonies-like adventures, and I enjoyed all the references to Jules Verne books.

So do see this movie if you want to experience amazing 3D content and great entertainment for any 10-year-old. To be frank, I am not sure I found the recent Jar-Jar Binks Star Wars movies better than this movie...

2nd rate sequel

Author: SnoopyStyle
27 August 2013

Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) and his stepfather Hank (Dwayne Johnson) go in search of his grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine) on a mysterious island. They hire an old helicopter piloted by Gabato (Luis Guzmán) and his daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens). They run into wild weather and crash onto the island.

Josh returns for this sequel but Brendan Fraser does not. In general this is an inferior movie to the original. It is just not as much fun or joyful or compelling. Dwayne Johnson does his best but at times, he's flailing around. I like Dwayne and he's definite a great replacement for Brendan Fraser. However a stepdad is never a great replacement character for the actual dad. The style is just not up to par. The sets seem more artificial. Instead of an exciting adventure, we get a lower rate kiddie action. The franchise has lost all its steam. Better to rewatch the 2008 movie.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Author: Tshoba Mwalaba from United Kingdom
24 August 2013

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a film retrieved from an original movie called "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" which was first published in Swedish in 1956 staring Pat Boon, James Mason and Arlen Dahl; it was later translated in English. In 2008 Journey to the centre of the earth starring Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson and Anita Briem was reproduced by an American Director Eric Brevig

The reproduction of Journey to the centre of the earth in 2008 inspired directors and film producers to reproduce a further version of the film leading to an accomplishment of the movie Journey 2: The mysterious Island which starred a well accomplished actors Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine and a former actor from Journey to the centre of the earth Josh Hutcherson. (Sean)

A coded signal was received by Sean Anderson (17 years of age), with the help of his step father Hanks enabled him to uncover the massage behind the signal. It was discovered from the code that Sean's grandfather (Alexander Anderson) already located the mysterious Island which was based in the Pacific as illustrated by Jules Verne and two other writers in their novels. For the passion that Sean has for the Island, he stubbornly decided to travel to the coordinates, with the love and protection that Hank have over his step son decided to travel along with him, buying two tickets for both of them.

They rent an old helicopter owned by the locals Gabato and his teenage daughter Kalian and the group heads to the unknown spot; along their journey, they hit the stoma and crash into the island. They find a beautiful and dangerous place, surrounded by forests, volcanoes with lava of gold and magnificent life forms. There they meet the old Alexander and Hank discovers that the Island is sinking and their only chance to survive is to find the legendary Nautilus

Earlier in the movie, Hank and Sean did not have that father and son connection, fortunately for the Island; it has helped build their bond while Hank was helping his step son (Sean) break the sound code to fully reveal the secrets behind the Island. This evidence originates in novel written by Robert Lewis Robison. Like every other teenage boy, Sean as a character who is very stubborn towards his parents also the only former character in the previous film, is very enthusiastic; always searching for new adventures and is willing to travel around the world to witness new things.

Hank as every other father in the majority of films is a strict parent, regardless of his looks, which is handsome, his personality mainly given to the audience as funny, like every other human with high ego believing he knows everything about women, with his past 3 years of experience in the navy learning on how to break sounds codes, it has given him an advantage on their journey to the mysterious Island.

Unlike Hank and Sean, Gabato, a low class character with high passion for money, with mind' eye of accomplishing his daughter's dreams which simply was helping her get into college; he basically worships money and is willing to appreciate any advice from someone intelligent and richer than him. His role was pretty amusing as he can act as a baby and can easily get frightened.

Kalian unlike his father is not only a well-mannered young lady, but also intelligent and beautiful, she not only physically attractive in which young male audience will find erotic but also take more of a parent role towards his father in certain situations. She continuously wants the best for her father and herself. She obviously is brighter than her father and always wants the best from his father's clients but she can be unpleasant towards the clients when she is aggravated.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is a well-designed film which falls into a perfect category of all audience, young, middle age and old. In this case Alexander, who falls perfectly in the older audiences, has similar characteristic as Hank and Sean but in his case his is more humorous, always finding new adventures and never setting at one place.

The Island is not only equisetic but also very dangerous, containing volcano mountain full of gold which obviously Gabato remarkably adores and animals which are larger than normal size, which was an advantage and disadvantage for the characters. Larger flowers and trees with brighter colours than normal, it is basically amazing. With insects, animals, birds and flies making the Island conspicuous. At night, the Island lights up with birds and sea lights making is look well-polished. The majority of the action takes place in the Island where Hank, Sean, Kaliani and Gabato meet Alexander (Sean's grandfather). From that point, the film gets interesting and exciting showing the mysterious of the Island.

It is astonishing how the directors and producers managed to put such special effects on the film making it remarkable. The way the story is presented to the audience is astonishing, and easily understandable. Hank and Alexander are two comical characters which was a perfect combination to the film however; they did not shadow the rest of the characters.

However a disadvantage on the film is that it's more of a fiction. Lowering its realistic to the audience indicates that it was only just a story; on the other hand overall the film is miraculous.

A Fun Adventure!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
4 August 2013

Journey 2: A Mysterious Island, the sequel to the 2008 hit film is a fun, adventurous film that all members of the family can enjoy. Personally, I find it to be better than the first film even though somehow the general consensus appear to disagree. I liked the new additions to the cast since they seemed to bolster the film. I liked some of the island's natives we see such as the enormous bumblebees.

Brad Peyton's film brings about the return of Sean. Sean reluctantly teams up with his mother's boyfriend and they venture out, along with a helicopter pilot and his daughter, to a mysterious island to rescue Sean's grandfather.

I liked the additions they added to the cast. Dwayne Johnson is turning into a respectable actor and he proves that he can sing. Michael Caine is a respectable, veteran actor and he is obviously having a fun time. Josh Hutcherson is a rising star and does a pretty good job. Luis Guzman is pretty funny and Vanessa Hudgens is flat-out gorgeous.

Overall, this is a fun adventure film. It's nothing special, but I had a good time. As a Jules Verne fan, I found the film more interesting than I should have. I really can't see why this film has gotten hate. I seen this film twice, and I find this to be an awesome film. I really hope they make a third film. I rate this film 9/10.