IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Disappointing in comparison to the trailer

Author: Chloe Gardner
3 September 2013

I bought Journey 2: The mysterious island on DVD after seeing the trailer which looked great. Unfortunately the film was so badly written and poorly casted that it killed off the good story line.

The beginning of the film moved so quickly with Sean and Hank finding answer after answer until the whole story was pieced together within a matter of minutes.

By the time you get to the next island where they depart form you are probably only 10 minutes into the film. You are introduced to the most annoying character: Gabato played by Luis Guzman and his daughter Kailani played by Vanessa Hudgens who makes a cringe worthy slow motion entrance wearing just a tight vest top and very short shorts.

They soon crash land on the island without a scratch on them and take on a giant lizard with objects that seem too conveniently placed. This brings me to my major hate about this film that its just not continuous. When they arrive Sean says that all large things become small and small things become big, therefore the lizard wouldn't be half as big as it was and the same applies to other creatures that come into play later. I felt like this logic that was introduced is only picked up and used when it is necessary for the plot.

Another thing that probably any adult watching would have picked up on is that all the characters - Hank and Sean in particular - always seem to know the answers. For example Hank once says "the liquefaction rate tripled over night" and Sean later says "tectonic plates are starting to pull apart beneath the island". Its not like they even say it after investigating, Hank simply tastes some of the water and knows the island with be under water within hours.

The cast itself couldn't have even made the flawed script more acceptable. I think you could just about cope with Vanessa Hudgens but Luis Guzman couldn't have acted more annoyingly. I'm not sure whether what he says half the time was meant to be a joke or just stupidity. Dwayne Johnson was another bad casting choice. Don't get me wrong i love his other action packed films but i don't think he suited this role at all - His peck popping and playing the ukulele confirmed that.

The film had so much potential and I'd be lying if i said that i didn't at least enjoy the story. However the bad cast and flawed script ruined any last hopes of success for this film.

The perfect summer movie!! For dumbasses.

Author: Rich Wright
26 March 2013

I should have realised that this was a sequel to the execrable Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. I could have figured out what was to come, seeing The Rock on the cover, and a washed-up Michael Caine after an easy pay day. I would have saved myself 82 minutes to do something more constructive, like bang my head against a brick wall. But I didn't, so I deserved everything I got.

This is, to put it bluntly, a Moronic film for Morons. Everyone in it is a moron. The director and writer are morons. Everyone who likes it, is a... you guessed it.Its okay... and fans of it wouldn't be insulted, because they won't know what goes next in the sentence. This is cynical film-making at its worst... Afraid to put anything resembling intelligence in it lest the brainless hordes out there get confused, it dishes up sparse, lukewarm thrills while annoying us with five pathetic, stock characters right from the back of the sofa.

Meet The Rock (Otherwise known as Dwayne Johnson) a big man with a heart of gold. He's just married into a family and his new stepson (played by Josh Hutcherson) is a complete brat who breaks into buildings at night and drives his motorcycle into swimming pools. A spot in juvie should help this young rapscallion out... but NO... Stepdad decides to gallivant off with his adopted hellspawn to a distant island on a treasure map Hutcherson has just discovered, to 'prove it doesn't exist'. As you do.

Along the way, they pick up the impossibly breasted Vanessa Hudgens (In case we don't get the point, she flaunts her assets in every scene) and the alleged Comic Relief Luis Guzman who acts like a retard at every given moment, while using a funny voice. If you liked Jar Jar Binks, this dude will be right up your alley. They find the Mysterious Island, and on it is no other than Mr Michael Caine, who is Josh's grandfather. As a nutty professor type fella, he phones in his performance, and you can see the dollar signs in his eyes.

Everything about this production reeks of lack of effort, from the stilted dialogue, to the boring plot. Worst still though, is the attempts at drama... the bonding scenes between The Rock, Caine and Hutchinson are embarrassing to say the least, and the chemistry between Hudgens and Hutchinson is so non-existent you're reminded of a shotgun wedding. As for the aforementioned Guzman... Well, he tries. He's VERY trying. Something big needs to eat that guy already. Alas, nothing does.

In fact, there is a shocking lack of thrills in this film. The poster shows the cast running away from a giant lizard over her eggs, and that honestly is the high point. The only other incidents that come to mind are a chase involving mounted bees being attacked by a massive bird, and an encounter with an electric eel underwater. Thatr's it. The rest of the time we have to tolerate the tiresome shenanigans of Dwayne and co as they snooze us into submission with their antics.

The worst of which involves the unforgettable moment The Rock moves his nipple pecs in time with each other, then he gets a lucky volunteer to chuck berries at his chest, whereon the fruit gets deflected here, there and everywhere. He tells his son this demented activity is a 'chick magnet'. Well, I've got a 'chick repellent'. Take your love out to see this as your first date movie, and see how long you last. I predict next week, she'll be washing her hair when you call her. Every single day.

Not A Journey You Should Go On

Author: Sarah Hook from Wisconsin
31 October 2012

The previews for Journey 2: The Mysterious Island made it look better than it actually was. The movie was only slightly better than I was expecting. The premise for Journey 2 was good. I enjoyed the idea, but the movie was taken to a really cheesy level.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Josh Hutcherson were truly the best part of this flick. They had good chemistry, and their characters and acting were decent. Yes, they brought some cheese, but very little in comparison to other characters. Vanessa Hudgens was OK. She really didn't bring much to the table neither through the character or her acting. Luis Guzman's character was AWFUL. He apparently was suppose to be the comic relief, but there was nothing funny about him or his jokes. His character actually brought the movie down in terms of its likability.

I also found this movie to be somewhat flawed in its creation. For instance, the jelly fish should have been large, but instead were regular size. I realize this is a kids & family movie and wasn't created for extreme accuracy, or Oscar wins. I, however, still enjoy consistency in my movies.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island wasn't all that original, and EXTREMELY predictable. I pretty much knew everything that was going to happen before it happened. Some aspects of this movie felt like they were straight out of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".

All-in-all, this movie was just alright. For a kid, it might have been much more enjoyable. For an adult, it was just too flawed, corny, and cheesy to amount to much.

Utterly pointless

Author: theoriginalchrz from Whiteley, England
25 August 2012

This is one of the dullest and most linear films I've watched in a long time.

There is zero depth to the plot with any 'puzzles' being solved immediately and with ease. What little action does take place is simply a poor version of set pieces that have been done better elsewhere (e.g. Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones, Return of The Jedi, etc).

Acting is OK - Michael Caine probably did it in his sleep.

Effects have no realism to them with the CGI being obvious.

Time would be far better spent reading the books that this film references.

Bad, bad, bad

Author: absro77 from Romania
25 August 2012

I usually don't review movies, but I saw this one yesterday and I just wanted to share my thoughts here, maybe I'll save some poor soul from destroying his evening by watching this.

As a child, I was a huge Jules Verne fan (I read at least 50 books; I read The Mysterious Island at least 15 times), so when I saw the poster and the IMDb summary I decided I MUST see this movie... boy, what a disappointment!

The scenario is soooo hollow and unconvincing, I'm 99% sure it was the result of a brainstorming between a 5-years-old and an intellectually challenged 8-years-old: they mix things up, they jump from one subject to another without any apparent connection, the dialogues are unconvincing, etc. Hell, even my 6-years-old nephew has more coherent ideas!

About the acting, OMG! I never thought The Rock is a great actor, but I saw him in a few movies and he was more than OK; in this movie he's just mediocre and insipid. And Michael Caine was a HUGE disappointment: how could a 2 times Oscar winner and 4 times Oscar nominee get so low?!

So, my final advice: avoid this movie at all costs!

What a cringefest.

Author: Wes Watson from Sacramento, CA
7 April 2013

The exposition is so forced it hurts, and the flood of one-liners starts with a "you've got to be kidding me!" and keeps going strong from there. The movie is clearly not written for anyone who's been exposed to the adult world. It takes Hank all of 30 seconds to convince his wife that it's okay to take her son to Palau (presumably on a weekend or something, this is not explained). When they get there, he throws around thousands of dollars in a manner characteristic of someone who has never earned a thousand dollars in his life.

The characters are miserably shallow and the interactions between the younger characters are dry and predictable. Dwayne Johnson does a decent job as Hank (I want to emphasize DECENT), but otherwise the characters are just plain bad. The goofy helicopter pilot is incredibly cheesy, the main character spouts a lot of irritating pseudoscience, the girl has no personality, and the grandfather's pseudoscience is worse than the kid's.

But what really ruins the movie is that nothing adds up. I can suspend disbelief for the "island in the eye of a perpetual hurricane," but the fact that they crash land on the island without so much as tearing a t-shirt is too much. I can believe in the giant rideable bees, but not that they immediately obey your every unspoken demand the moment you get on one. I can believe that the 140 year old submarine has an electrical system, but not that a single rope stabbed into an electric eel is enough to jumpstart it. I'm going to stop here because I think my point is clear, but I could honestly list another half dozen egregious fallacies before I even had to start thinking to come up with them.

Redeeming qualities? The cool visual effects help make up for the terrible writing. I thought the giant animals were cool, and the submarine as well as the grandfather's shack were both really well designed in the inside. Although I wouldn't want a kid to think this is how people actually behave, it would probably be a really sweet movie for your ten year old.

Overall: It's crap.

Watchable

Author: Back Punch from Pune
18 December 2012

Surprised at the extreme low rating this movie has got. Its highly recommended for people who love adventurous films. Michael Caine has been wasted in the movie but the remaining cast is apt. I probably didn't like Caine's character because of the immense respect I have for the The Dark Knight Trilogy. Kids would obviously love the film. even the teens would actually applaud it. I absolutely loved Luiz Guzman's character in the film. Josh Hutcherson has matured as an actor from the Bridge to Terabithia days. The climax of the film is kind of boring and has unnecessarily been extended. At the end I would recommend all of the readers to watch the film at least once, at least for the baby elephants.

An entertaining but scientifically-preposterous film.

Author: kevinxirau from United States
11 September 2012

Honestly, I'm surprised that "Journey to the Center of the Earth" even got a sequel. Yet another classic created by the one and only Jules Verne is once again brought to cinematic life with, of course, new things added to it. With many elements to use from both the book and the previous movie adaptations at their disposal, the filmmakers use only a few of the older, more iconic parts material to create something that's almost its own film, which is not exactly a good thing.

Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) is trying to find where his adventurous grandfather (Michael Caine) disappeared, which is soon revealed to be the legendary Mysterious Island. Wanting to use the opportunity to bond with Sean, his stepfather Hank (Dwayne Johnson) tags along for this trip and have the attractive Kalina (Vanessa Hudgens) and her well-meaning but not-so-bright father (Luis Guzman) come along for the ride. A massive freak storm lands them on the Island where not only do they find Sean's grandpa, but also encounter the nasty inhabitants and hazardous landscape. Will they escape this terror?

On the upside, this movie has some nice effects, great creatures, well-designed sets, and some sense of adventure. The story, while silly, is pretty interesting. Things, however, get pretty ridiculous. The characters have some heart to them, but that's not saying much as they don't have that many interesting personal qualities. The science that they try to explain in the movie, when one really think about it, is highly implausible and has little to no logic to it whatsoever. With all this in mind, I prefer the Harryhausen version of this classic.

Overall, this movie is worth at least a watch, but only as a rental. Otherwise, I don't recommend this movie to anyone unless they have kids to watch this with.

Could have been an average adventure movie. So what made it worse?

Author: Pom Alien from United States
19 July 2012

Its the awful acting. Lets break it down according to the lead casts.

Dwayne Johnson: the most electrifying man in entertainment, didn't (or couldn't) really make any lasting impression. Lots of attitude & one- liners here'n'there but no variety at all. He carries the same serious facial expression throughout the movie. & he bounces his manb**bs to attract women, uh, I don't think intelligent species of this planet do that. He was good in movies like 'The Scorpion King', 'The Rundown', 'Walking Tall' etc. but not this one.

Josh Hutcherson: aah, the rebellious teenager who want to seek his grandpa at the unmanned corner of the world, that's good. In fact this kid wasn't that bad for an young actor. Its just that he was in the shadow of the Rock(who didn't do well) all along & its his character in this movie that was trying to do too much where there was nothing much to do.

Luis Guzman: I'll be honest, this man should be punished for his performance. He is a real headache in this movie. May be the movie makers wanted to bring some comic-relief in the movie through Luis, but that didn't work. This character was so bad & irritating that it may make you quit this movie, so be warned.

Vanessa Hudgens: Uh, well, what did she do in this movie? mmmm, NOTHING!! NOTHING AT ALL!! She was only in this movie because, well its obvious, our young Josh needed someone to flirt with. **SPOILERS** & at one point her slim & petite body was useful to retrieve some important thing through a narrow cave. Thats it.

Michael Caine: Now HE is a real actor. There is no doubt that he delivered the best acting performance in this movie. There is nothing more to say, he made proper justice to his character, but unfortunately couldn't save this movie.

This movie is a big failure, its OK to avoid it unless you want to see how bad it is. I'm not gonna give away what happens at the end because I haven't seen the end, I couldn't, to be honest. I had to get up after about an hour.

Waste of Money.

Author: x-reflect from United States
10 June 2012

This movie is NOT worth your money. Trust me.

I will make this review short and simple.

Here's the list of reasons why you shouldn't not waste your money on this: 1) The structure of this movie is very similar to the first movie, however, the execution was horrible. 2) The characters a very unlikeable and the personalities terrible. Quite frankly, I would not want my kids to mimic such personalities. 3) The entire movie is the group walking around looking for a way off the island. 4) The Movie makes no sense half the time. a. They're essentially in the middle of the island. Salt water is seeping through the ground from the bottom, which would make the only water available toxic to drink. So how did they survive without dying from dehydration? b. An old man crashed on the island before anyone else years before the group arrived. How did he survive? We know he couldn't of had fresh water, so how did he have the energy to hunt/gather food? Regardless, he somehow apparently even built a comfortable home with plumbing and even an elevator? c. They're flying on a giant bee. They go extremely high in the sky. Girl loses grip and begins to fall to her doom. Not only does the giant bee somehow reach the bottom faster than the girl could fall, but the boy is able to catch her without any problems? d. There's much more but those were the three that bugged me the most in particular.

This movie might be entertaining to children 12 and younger, but it's still not worth the money. I recommend watching something else, or saving your money. If you really want to watch it, just wait a year or two. Watch it for free on FX or something.