IMDb > Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A quite nice family movie

Author: p-jonsson from France
27 December 2013

This movie is presented as a sequel to a Journey to the Center of the Earth. The connection to the previous movie is rather loose though. It is also rather loosely connected to Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. I was not very pleased with the Journey to the Center of the Earth remake from 2008. This one I found to be a quite nice family movie. We got it because my youngest son put it on his Christmas wish list and yesterday the entire family watched it. That was the first time for me but the second time for my son.

The movie is a nice mix of humour, adventure and action. It does not pretend to be anything else than a entertaining family movie and in that it succeeds quite well. We watched it in 2D since we do not have 3D equipment (and I feel no real urge to get 3D either) and, even though there where scenes that where clearly made for showing of 3D effects, they where not as intrusive as in the prequel. The movie was quite enjoyable also in 2D.

Special effects where acceptable for a family movie and the scenery was not at all bad. Dwayne Johnson will not win an Oscar but the acting was good enough. Sure, there were some silly parts but on the hole the movie was quite enjoyable.

As I wrote, a quite nice family movie.

Jules Verne just rolled over in his grave

Author: guavacraig
19 December 2013

Like if you're really drunk on a Saturday night and you want some mindless entertainment, well, this is still a stretch. Maybe if you're drunk on a Tuesday. As for the actors, ya gotta be concerned about your career when your acting role reached this. Unless you're The Rock - he was thinking Oscar all the way. I hope he at least got a Razzie - that would have been well deserved. I just hope nobody actually paid money to watch this. But on the other hand, amazingly, somehow I still wanted to watch it all the way through. Took me three tries to get through it but I finally did. I guess quality shows like this is why I pay big bucks for the premium channels.

Disappointing in comparison to the trailer

Author: Chloe Gardner
3 September 2013

I bought Journey 2: The mysterious island on DVD after seeing the trailer which looked great. Unfortunately the film was so badly written and poorly casted that it killed off the good story line.

The beginning of the film moved so quickly with Sean and Hank finding answer after answer until the whole story was pieced together within a matter of minutes.

By the time you get to the next island where they depart form you are probably only 10 minutes into the film. You are introduced to the most annoying character: Gabato played by Luis Guzman and his daughter Kailani played by Vanessa Hudgens who makes a cringe worthy slow motion entrance wearing just a tight vest top and very short shorts.

They soon crash land on the island without a scratch on them and take on a giant lizard with objects that seem too conveniently placed. This brings me to my major hate about this film that its just not continuous. When they arrive Sean says that all large things become small and small things become big, therefore the lizard wouldn't be half as big as it was and the same applies to other creatures that come into play later. I felt like this logic that was introduced is only picked up and used when it is necessary for the plot.

Another thing that probably any adult watching would have picked up on is that all the characters - Hank and Sean in particular - always seem to know the answers. For example Hank once says "the liquefaction rate tripled over night" and Sean later says "tectonic plates are starting to pull apart beneath the island". Its not like they even say it after investigating, Hank simply tastes some of the water and knows the island with be under water within hours.

The cast itself couldn't have even made the flawed script more acceptable. I think you could just about cope with Vanessa Hudgens but Luis Guzman couldn't have acted more annoyingly. I'm not sure whether what he says half the time was meant to be a joke or just stupidity. Dwayne Johnson was another bad casting choice. Don't get me wrong i love his other action packed films but i don't think he suited this role at all - His peck popping and playing the ukulele confirmed that.

The film had so much potential and I'd be lying if i said that i didn't at least enjoy the story. However the bad cast and flawed script ruined any last hopes of success for this film.

2nd rate sequel

Author: SnoopyStyle
27 August 2013

Sean Anderson (Josh Hutcherson) and his stepfather Hank (Dwayne Johnson) go in search of his grandfather Alexander Anderson (Michael Caine) on a mysterious island. They hire an old helicopter piloted by Gabato (Luis Guzmán) and his daughter Kailani (Vanessa Hudgens). They run into wild weather and crash onto the island.

Josh returns for this sequel but Brendan Fraser does not. In general this is an inferior movie to the original. It is just not as much fun or joyful or compelling. Dwayne Johnson does his best but at times, he's flailing around. I like Dwayne and he's definite a great replacement for Brendan Fraser. However a stepdad is never a great replacement character for the actual dad. The style is just not up to par. The sets seem more artificial. Instead of an exciting adventure, we get a lower rate kiddie action. The franchise has lost all its steam. Better to rewatch the 2008 movie.

A Fun Adventure!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
4 August 2013

Journey 2: A Mysterious Island, the sequel to the 2008 hit film is a fun, adventurous film that all members of the family can enjoy. Personally, I find it to be better than the first film even though somehow the general consensus appear to disagree. I liked the new additions to the cast since they seemed to bolster the film. I liked some of the island's natives we see such as the enormous bumblebees.

Brad Peyton's film brings about the return of Sean. Sean reluctantly teams up with his mother's boyfriend and they venture out, along with a helicopter pilot and his daughter, to a mysterious island to rescue Sean's grandfather.

I liked the additions they added to the cast. Dwayne Johnson is turning into a respectable actor and he proves that he can sing. Michael Caine is a respectable, veteran actor and he is obviously having a fun time. Josh Hutcherson is a rising star and does a pretty good job. Luis Guzman is pretty funny and Vanessa Hudgens is flat-out gorgeous.

Overall, this is a fun adventure film. It's nothing special, but I had a good time. As a Jules Verne fan, I found the film more interesting than I should have. I really can't see why this film has gotten hate. I seen this film twice, and I find this to be an awesome film. I really hope they make a third film. I rate this film 9/10.

Jules Verne must be rolling over in his grave...but...

Author: vincentlynch-moonoi from United States
14 April 2013

Yes, Jules Verne must be rolling over in his grave, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun watching this flick...as long as all you're expecting is fun.

If you're expecting the slightest dose of a serious theme, forget it. There is, however, loads of excitement (fake as it may be CGI) and some good laughs.

If you're expecting a lesson in good parenting...forget it. In fact, that may be my biggest complaint in this whole film -- stepfather allowing son to rule the roost, skip school, and put their lives in peril...all in the name of bonding. Minor plot changes could have resulted in an example of good parenting, and it wouldn't have detracted one bit from the plot.

In terms of the acting, one of the things I like about Dwayne Johnson is that he doesn't take himself too seriously...and that helps in this film because there's not any deep acting here...just fun. Josh Hutcherson as the son...well, what's the attraction here? Part of the problem is that the kid's a total jerk, but I wouldn't say he's any great shakes as an actor, either. Of course it's nice to see Michael Caine (as the long-lost grandfather also the father; and very much looking his age of 80), but this is yet another example of how Caine mixes films that are of no real value with the occasional role in which he's exceptional (this is the former, not the latter). Vanessa Hudgens is pleasant enough as the boy's love interest, and Luis Guzman is mostly funny as the slightly sleazy helicopter tour guide who gets dragged into the adventure.

The computer graphics special effects are quite stunning, although sometimes things look just a little too wonderful...this isn't Oz, but a jungle island.

So, be ready for some fun, just don't plan to take things too seriously. After all, the scenarios in the film must have dreamed up by a 12 year old.

The perfect summer movie!! For dumbasses.

Author: Rich Wright
26 March 2013

I should have realised that this was a sequel to the execrable Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. I could have figured out what was to come, seeing The Rock on the cover, and a washed-up Michael Caine after an easy pay day. I would have saved myself 82 minutes to do something more constructive, like bang my head against a brick wall. But I didn't, so I deserved everything I got.

This is, to put it bluntly, a Moronic film for Morons. Everyone in it is a moron. The director and writer are morons. Everyone who likes it, is a... you guessed it.Its okay... and fans of it wouldn't be insulted, because they won't know what goes next in the sentence. This is cynical film-making at its worst... Afraid to put anything resembling intelligence in it lest the brainless hordes out there get confused, it dishes up sparse, lukewarm thrills while annoying us with five pathetic, stock characters right from the back of the sofa.

Meet The Rock (Otherwise known as Dwayne Johnson) a big man with a heart of gold. He's just married into a family and his new stepson (played by Josh Hutcherson) is a complete brat who breaks into buildings at night and drives his motorcycle into swimming pools. A spot in juvie should help this young rapscallion out... but NO... Stepdad decides to gallivant off with his adopted hellspawn to a distant island on a treasure map Hutcherson has just discovered, to 'prove it doesn't exist'. As you do.

Along the way, they pick up the impossibly breasted Vanessa Hudgens (In case we don't get the point, she flaunts her assets in every scene) and the alleged Comic Relief Luis Guzman who acts like a retard at every given moment, while using a funny voice. If you liked Jar Jar Binks, this dude will be right up your alley. They find the Mysterious Island, and on it is no other than Mr Michael Caine, who is Josh's grandfather. As a nutty professor type fella, he phones in his performance, and you can see the dollar signs in his eyes.

Everything about this production reeks of lack of effort, from the stilted dialogue, to the boring plot. Worst still though, is the attempts at drama... the bonding scenes between The Rock, Caine and Hutchinson are embarrassing to say the least, and the chemistry between Hudgens and Hutchinson is so non-existent you're reminded of a shotgun wedding. As for the aforementioned Guzman... Well, he tries. He's VERY trying. Something big needs to eat that guy already. Alas, nothing does.

In fact, there is a shocking lack of thrills in this film. The poster shows the cast running away from a giant lizard over her eggs, and that honestly is the high point. The only other incidents that come to mind are a chase involving mounted bees being attacked by a massive bird, and an encounter with an electric eel underwater. Thatr's it. The rest of the time we have to tolerate the tiresome shenanigans of Dwayne and co as they snooze us into submission with their antics.

The worst of which involves the unforgettable moment The Rock moves his nipple pecs in time with each other, then he gets a lucky volunteer to chuck berries at his chest, whereon the fruit gets deflected here, there and everywhere. He tells his son this demented activity is a 'chick magnet'. Well, I've got a 'chick repellent'. Take your love out to see this as your first date movie, and see how long you last. I predict next week, she'll be washing her hair when you call her. Every single day.

Not A Journey You Should Go On

Author: Sarah Hook from Wisconsin
31 October 2012

The previews for Journey 2: The Mysterious Island made it look better than it actually was. The movie was only slightly better than I was expecting. The premise for Journey 2 was good. I enjoyed the idea, but the movie was taken to a really cheesy level.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Josh Hutcherson were truly the best part of this flick. They had good chemistry, and their characters and acting were decent. Yes, they brought some cheese, but very little in comparison to other characters. Vanessa Hudgens was OK. She really didn't bring much to the table neither through the character or her acting. Luis Guzman's character was AWFUL. He apparently was suppose to be the comic relief, but there was nothing funny about him or his jokes. His character actually brought the movie down in terms of its likability.

I also found this movie to be somewhat flawed in its creation. For instance, the jelly fish should have been large, but instead were regular size. I realize this is a kids & family movie and wasn't created for extreme accuracy, or Oscar wins. I, however, still enjoy consistency in my movies.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island wasn't all that original, and EXTREMELY predictable. I pretty much knew everything that was going to happen before it happened. Some aspects of this movie felt like they were straight out of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".

All-in-all, this movie was just alright. For a kid, it might have been much more enjoyable. For an adult, it was just too flawed, corny, and cheesy to amount to much.

Utterly pointless

Author: theoriginalchrz from Whiteley, England
25 August 2012

This is one of the dullest and most linear films I've watched in a long time.

There is zero depth to the plot with any 'puzzles' being solved immediately and with ease. What little action does take place is simply a poor version of set pieces that have been done better elsewhere (e.g. Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones, Return of The Jedi, etc).

Acting is OK - Michael Caine probably did it in his sleep.

Effects have no realism to them with the CGI being obvious.

Time would be far better spent reading the books that this film references.

Bad, bad, bad

Author: absro77 from Romania
25 August 2012

I usually don't review movies, but I saw this one yesterday and I just wanted to share my thoughts here, maybe I'll save some poor soul from destroying his evening by watching this.

As a child, I was a huge Jules Verne fan (I read at least 50 books; I read The Mysterious Island at least 15 times), so when I saw the poster and the IMDb summary I decided I MUST see this movie... boy, what a disappointment!

The scenario is soooo hollow and unconvincing, I'm 99% sure it was the result of a brainstorming between a 5-years-old and an intellectually challenged 8-years-old: they mix things up, they jump from one subject to another without any apparent connection, the dialogues are unconvincing, etc. Hell, even my 6-years-old nephew has more coherent ideas!

About the acting, OMG! I never thought The Rock is a great actor, but I saw him in a few movies and he was more than OK; in this movie he's just mediocre and insipid. And Michael Caine was a HUGE disappointment: how could a 2 times Oscar winner and 4 times Oscar nominee get so low?!

So, my final advice: avoid this movie at all costs!